Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital » US Marine Hospital in Detroit « Previous Next »
Archive through April 24, 2005Sue Adams48 04-24-05  1:46 am
Archive through October 12, 2008Brenda30 10-12-08  10:25 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Little_mike
Username: Little_mike

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brenda, I take it Mr. Weitschat would be receptive of visitors that were past students?

579 Newport - I lived real close to you. I think the Sinclair station on Essex & Eastlawn was probably mid-point.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 149
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at eastlawn and freud. I don't remember a gas station at Essex

Little_mike

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the gas station being on what would be the SE corner (like your store would have been on the SE corner of Freud & Eastlawn). We used to put air in our bike tires there.

Then, going East from there, there was a little bar - The Riverside Bar. Next was the alley, and then a row of buildings. In one of those buildings was a shoe repair shop. The old guy who ran it (I kid you not) was missing all of his fingers on one hand. All he had was a thumb - but he repaired shoes! Sewed them... stitched them... put on new heels... the whole bit.

Then, if you cross the street on Newport (same side of Essex) was your rival store - LaFleur's/Arngie's/Zeke's (dependent upon the year).

Ahhhhh, the old days!

Kennyd
Username: Kennyd

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to buy the glass bottle of Pepsi with the fluted swirls on it from a little market on Newport and Freud. NE corner. I can't remember the name of it from the time, '68-'71.
Every so often I have a dream where I end up too far west on Freud, past Eastlawn was dicey. Not so much on Avondale.
Anyone remember the Freedom Barber Shop? The guy was known for SHORT haircuts. This was the 60s and he'd send you out looking like the first day of boot-camp!

Ron_saad

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newport and freud was Jimmy's store. Riverside Bar was on Essex by Piper wasn't it, going south. Essex is going north and south like Jefferson.
Was Freedom Barber on Kercheval?(He moved there) Can't remember his name,
What year was that gas station there?
I lived on Eastlawn and freud from 1952-62 and around the neighborhood till 74. Can't remember the station. There was a Gulf station on Freud and Dickerson maybe. Also Greenleaf market.

Little_mike

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freedom Barbershop? I got many a haircut there as a youth. It was on Kercheval and Chalmers. I can remember the joint filled with old guys smoking and talking about the news.

Sometime in the early 70s he moved over to the Kelly/Houston-Whittier area.

Yeah, Ron, you're right. Essex & Freud ran kind of SW/NE. I was talking E-W, you were talking N-S, but I have a feeling we were talking the same thing! The Sinclair station I am thinking of shut down in the late 60s. I remember the Gulf station, though. It was just past Donna Lee's. The two stations were similiar - small, made of bricks, and a bunch of guys with greasy hands always working away on cars. But I remember the Sinclair station being on the same block as the Windmill Pointe Pharmacy (i.e, Lassiter's - Run by an old guy named Coy Lassiter).

Wasn't the store on Newport & Freud Lumetta's? Sal Lumetta. He used to save old lettuce for me and my sister. Every now and then we'd have rabbits. After the rabbits got big and we'd get bored with them, we'd take them up North back to my Uncle's farm.

Either way, Saad's ruled! Big Time candy bars for a nickel and arcade games!

Little_mike

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ron, did you guys live above your store, or in a house near it? Also, my Dad used to tell me about a professional wrestler that used to live around Eastlawn & Freud. I want to say his name was Larry Shane. Maybe Bert Ruby though? Anyways.... ring any bells? He used to frequent your store (at least that was what my Dad used to say). This was before my time. The guy got killed in a car accident in the late 50s/early 60s.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 151
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike,My store was on the NE corner. Between Freud and Essex and going toward Newport. Yes we did live above the store 694 Eastlawn. Also we lived at 786 Eastlawn. Sal owned the store and sold it to Jimmy or vise versa.
I'll see Charley Lapointe today He lived on Eastlawn closer to Essex. He knew where everything was.Yes Leap and Larry Shane the wrestler. What's your last name Mike? And when did you graduate?

Little_mike

Post Number: 21
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Desmet. You went to school with Camille, you said a while back - my cousin.

1978 from Bishop Gallagher. By the time I got to HS, St. Martin was shut down.

I went to school with Arthur Lapointe at Guyton when we were kids, and played softball in a league later with Ernie. There were about a million of those Lapointe guys around!

This is great talking with you and Kenny about the old neighborhood.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Went to school with Camille.
I graduated in 1970 Last graduating class.
Played with Ernie and still play sometimes with Charlie.

Kennyd

Post Number: 63
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sal's! That's it. I wasn't sure I'd remember even if I heard it. Thanks.
I went to school with Ernie Lapointe too.
Have you all seen the "Fox Indian massacre" thread? Worth a look.

Little_mike

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to take a look.

Hey, Kenny, speaking of Kercheval and the Freedom Barber Shop, remember the slot car place up on Kercheval by the library? I want to say the library was on the corner of Lakewood?

A few years after it closed down (the slot car place) another one re-opened just on the other side of Alter in Grosse Pointe (with a bigger track). They were great - you'd go in and rent a lane by the half hour. The reason I brought this up is I was down in my basement just a little bit ago and remembered I have four old slot cars in a box down there from when I was a kid. And we were just talking about Kercheval...

Sal Lumetta was a character. He could have easily been the template for the "Soup Nazi" on Seinfeld.

Kennyd

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, October 18, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The barber shop I thought was on Avondale & Coplin or Lenox? Close to St. Martin's.
I never knew about the slot car racetrack.
Hmm, the Library. I think I was there once. Monteith Branch, Kercheval & Eastlawn. It's still there.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlie remember the gas station but couldn't remember the Gulf one. Once you over 50 you get CRS syndrome. The barber shop on Essex I went to. Mr Lacharette was the barber.

Little_mike

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So let me get this straight:

You don't remember the Sinclair station, but Charlie does. You remember the Gulf station, but he doesn't. Kenny remembers the Freedom Barbershop over by St. Martins, and you and I remember it up on Kercheval. You remember your barber, and he was probably Kenny's, too. I recall the library, but can't remember the name, even though we went there a lot, and Kenny comes up with the name of it, and says he only went there once. And then there was the E-W, N-S street direction debacle.

Someday, maybe us four can get together. We can try and piece the neighborhood back together. It might wind up not being OUR neighborhood, but it'll be A neighborhood!

Here's to CRS! Long live dead brain cells!

Kennyd

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO!

Ron_saad

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived near Flint. Might make a wrong turn down there and might end up at Burkemo"s at 9 and Jeff
Or Tony's Koynises.

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Post Number: 92
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you guys are too funny....baby boomers will always fight what is happening until the end...btw: I'm back in great metro detroit...the indy drama is over and I am safe back home....besides..."there is no place like home"...

Brenda

Post Number: 93
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LittleMike: Yes, please write to Mr. Weitschat up in Traverse City...though he is assisted living (in 70s)..he has a great memory inspite of his health and is very loved where he is at....but of course, he will always be the fav teacher of all times! Just sorry the Bush administration didn't approve my request for him to receive the presidential medal of honor (as an American)...ole Bush gave one of the awards to a foreign person...figures he kisses up to people who have no business receiving awards made only for stellar Americans...

To make it easy, below is his address and phone number--yes, he can get phone calls too!

Mr. Willard (Bill) Weitschat
Christwood Hills Dementia Care
3735 Yorkshire Dr
Traverse City MI 49686-7202
Phone: 231-932-2051

Mary_ann_jakel
Username: Mary_ann_jakel

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wrestler was Lawrence Beauchene aka Leaping Larry Chane. When I was a kid his parents and sister lived 5 houses away from you Ronnie. It was your house, then the Jakel's, then Christianson's, Romska's then the Beauchene's.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, November 02, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea. I know Did you remember the gas station on Essex and Eastlawn?

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 288
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wrestler Larry Chene(Lawrence Beauchene) lived in the Outer Drive-Dickerson area on Promenade St. during the late 50's and early 60's. At least one of his daughters for sure attended St.David's grade school. Larry died in a car accident in October of 1964.

Mary_ann_jakel
Username: Mary_ann_jakel

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the station but I don't think they pumped gas there, just repaired cars. There was a bar next to that, Dick's Bar?
I didn't know where Larry Beauchene's family lived his daughters I think were Carol, Patty and Donna and a son Michael. The family moved south after his death. Wife Mary remarried. If anyone knows where Anne, his sister is, let me know. My Mom lost touch and would love to see her again after many years.

Davedoc
Username: Davedoc

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ron it was a Sinclair Station, they did pump gas. I worked there off & on in the early 60's. They made more money in the bay's (as is always the case in gas stations) than off the gas. Especially when there were gas wars. Too bad we don't have them today.

Davedoc

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, November 03, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dick's Bar was owned by a gentleman Dick Pennyfather I think They lived on Newport.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was Riverside Bar?

Little_mike

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, November 04, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dick's turned into the Riverside Bar. It was the same place. I always remembered it as the Riverside Bar. We'd get candy from there on Halloween. But a lot of the older folks in the neighborhood always/still referred to it as Dick's. The bar was between the gas station and the alley that ran between Newport & Eastlawn.

Brenda

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, January 06, 2009 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Mike: Haven't been here for awhile, but you asked if Mr. Weitschat would be like to hear from his students...YES, YES, and YES...even though we all get old, our memories keep us going...it would bring a smile to his face! Please do write to him!

Little_mike

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Brenda.

When the weather clears, I plan on heading up that way. I've got some time off next month.

Brenda

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike: You are welcome. Because the address and number are way up the string, I am posting it again for you:

Mr. Willard (Bill) Weitschat
Christwood Hills Dementia Care
3735 Yorkshire Dr
Traverse City MI 49686-7202
Phone: 231-932-2051

Flip
Username: Flip

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes I remember the riverside bar and the sinclair gas station TOO ! wasn't there a store across essex st named the Greenleaf ??
and down at piper and essex was a little store know as prices ? I lived at coplin and freud for 4 years and remember donna lee's and AL's (Al Durie and his wife)his daughters name was donna lee and son named dale !
the gas station (gulf) @ coplin and freud toward drexel.
I remember the Cinderella theatre, when they still showed movies !
Saturday Matinee for .50 cents !
ginos pizzaria, angel park, Lakewood Park,
One saturday night this girl i was running with in my youth were all beered up and going to go swimming at the foot of the old boatwell at garwood, when a young woman and four guys rode up on there bicycles, Stripped down nude, and jumped in !(NO one Believes that story)
how many times do you see that ??
mr weitschat lived 2 house off the corner of marlbrough st. at Avondale
My cousin who lived on manistique, would take me to mr wietschats, the teacher who always had the best halloween Setup in the neighborhood ! great guy ! he had his boat always docked at tommy's, in angel park !
angel park and lakewood park, oh the ladies, gave me some memories , that every guy should have growing up ! WOOHOOO !

Ron_saad

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. My store was eastlawn and freud
Worked at Tommy's and kept eye on his boat.
Also lived on Manistique.

Ron Saad

Flip

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron_saad, do you remember the subway store on manistique and freud ? and across the street was the manistigue market ?
I lived at coplin and freud for 4 years and remember many of the things, people have written on here like the freedom barber on Kercheval and chalmers, and the slot car track on kercheval by the montieth branch of the detroit public library ! and i also remember the detroit news paper Stand where all the kids went to get the papers to deliver on their routes ! on their bikes, but for the life of me, I can't get hold of a memory(must have that CRS syndrome) of your Store ? describe it for me ! AL's was at the coplin , one side the dry cleaners,and the other side was the paper Station, then the alley way, Please jog my memory , it will come back !LOL !! i hope ! I even remember that the bookmobile used to come tuesday evenings at St. Martin. Very Nice !I guess the library doesn't do that anymore !
I also Know what became of Al Durie, and his family ! if anyone's interested ?
he was A GREAT GUY ! always lookin out for us kids !

Ron_saad

Post Number: 144
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's your real name Flip. Remember MR Softie?
I couldn't remember the Sinclair and I lived a block away.When did you live at Coplin? SHEESH Eastlawn was only 2 blocks away LOL LOL My store was Eastlawn and Freud like I said and Jim's market was on Newport and Freud
I remember Subway and the store across the street had a meat market in it I lived down the street at 418 Manistique. What was the guys name that owned freedom.

Little_mike

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, February 23, 2009 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flip, welcome to the Forum.

Ron, I'm glad you are back on line. I've been off for awhile.

Brenda, I never made it up to Traverse City. I had vacation, and went South, and my van gave me probs. I DO plan on going that way w/i the next month, though. I'll report back.

Kenny, you still alive? Let's get back to posting some stuff! I'm getting bored!

Okay Flip, let's see here....

Saad's (where dreams came true for kids) was on the corner of Eastlawn & Freud. It was the only non-house on the corner. Had two entrances - one on the corner and one on the Freud side. When you entered there, the arcade games were to your left, and counter to your right (correct, Ron?). There was usually an old guy there selling you your candy. When he wasn't there, it was his teenage kid (who probably looked a lot like Ron). You couldn't MISS the place! Same side of Freud as Donna Lee's.

Donna Lee's was on the corner of Coplin (I am sure you remember that). Going towards Piper, at the alley, was the paper station (Detroit News). In the mid-70s, in between Donna Lee's and the station was a party store/market called Cha Cha's.

If you want to see the old neighborhood, go to www.yellowpages.com and zero in on Newport and Freud. Then go to "Street Level". You can "drive" Freud (as it is now) towards downtown for awhile, then turn towards the river on Dickerson, to the old St. Martins Church. Or, banish the thought, drive down there one day for real when you have a day off. Be advised, though, it is like looking at another world. Nothing is there anymore. Just remember, you can never go home again.

Green Leaf Supermarket was on the corner of Piper and Essex.

The Freedon Guy's name was posted on here awhile back. All I remember of him is he had grey hair combed straight back. He kind of looked like "Uncle Leo" on Seinfeld.

Any of you guys ever go bowling above Great Scott up on Jefferson & Eastlawn? Well, that place is gone, too..... :-(

Mr. Weitschat lived on Philip, just off of Avondale (not Marlborough). God, Brenda, I gotta go see him. I just found my Boy Scout sash the other day, with all my merit badges on him. He presented most of them to me.

Ahhhh.... memories......

Ron_saad

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right. Almost, We didn't get the pinball machines till after my dad died. Then we sold the store(twice to two different people) and got it back. The old guy was the new owner for about a year till we got it back, then it was my mom and I that ran it till someone threw a couple of bottles through the windows then we just packed up and left the property to the city. What a shame!!
Never found The barber's name.
Ron

Flip

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone here hear from "385marlborgh" anymore ??
(Dave Hackem) ??

Little_mike

Post Number: 47
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't seen Dave post in awhile. I remember him from the old Boy Scouts Troop 244 days at Guyton. He was a couple of years older than me.

Flip

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Ron_saad, Little_mike , Brenda and ALL here,
I lived on coplin @ 920 between Jefferson and freud ! my cousin's the Kozicki's/speigel's lived @ 346 Manisitigue, And had many friends from that area ! dave hackem i knew from jr. high, Knew the licavoli's and the McClenons and donny Gilow ! Great guy that donny ! and his Don Sr. worked with my dad back in the early 70's ,
the walkers, Debbie fuson WOOHOO that GIRL !! had a Major league Crush on her !!
oh, by the way I'm Dan Stewart !
Ron-Saad , dont mean anything by not remembering your store ???!?! i must have (C.R..S.) LOL !!
sounds like it was A Great place ! what years did you have it there ? someone Mentioned a family named snider! I knew them,... Went to School with Johnny, and knew DeeDee his sister and there were a couple young boys too ! One night Johnny Shoplifted a bottle of dark port wine from AL's beer and wine Store and had to go to the hospital and have his stomach pumped !! we teased him about that Unmercifally about that !!

Silky_sullivan
Username: Silky_sullivan

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh! The memories of the corner of Manistique and Essex. I was one of the drug-store cowboys that hung that corner. See if I can conjure up any names or memories. Two doors down from the corner lived the Thighs (Kenny - Who gave me my first ride on a Harley and his sister Gaye who I dated for one week. She dated a guy named Jodie for a long time but married Leon Striegal. On the corner in the apartment building lived a girl Pam Allen who lived with her sister and dated a guy Eddie who played a guitar until he smashed it when they broke up. I think the Sniders lived down the street towards Jefferson. The Sullivans lived across the street (Oh that was my house 548 Manistique). A couple doors down lived Billy Stucky. Down the street lived Jimmy Moore who dated a girl named Jan and his sister Phylis.Also Eddie Riley who introduced to all the wonderful people who use to live in the apartment building above the Subway where I learned and played more card games than I can remember.
The Alongi's lived on the other side of Essex going towards the river. I had a crush on Patti but she was a little young for me by a couple years. Up the street lived the Falarka twins and their sister and I had a crush on her but she was a year older than me and believe entered the convent. Further up was the Debakers. I hung out with Bobby often. Lynn Taylor's house was the hangout for card games and a place for me to stay when I ran away from home. Also a Paul but his last name escapes me. Think it was French.

On Ashland lived Andre Vincent and his sister. (Got in more trouble with him than I really care to remember). Behind his house was a boathouse with an apartment and a girl named Ronnie lived there and I went with her for awhile. On the Essex side lived Jimmy and Kaye Fullerton. That girl could run like a deer. Up the street lived Jimmy and Mary Ellen Stiger. Me and Mary Ellen argued like brother and sister. Everyone said we should date each other. I would have but my pride got in the way.
I use to meet a girl named Bonnie, who lived around Newport, on saturdays at the Lakewood theater and we would certainly have some heavy makeout sessions. I always had my younger brother with me so I never had the chance to go to her house.
Some of the other people I remember were Sharon Rassey. Think she lived on the corner of Lakewood and Essex. Sandy Mellitello who I walked home from school everyday. She was a fox. She lived on Phillip. Richard Furnier and his little brother Vincent (later to become Alice Cooper) who lived on Chalmers and Jefferson. Then their was Charlene Erdley who never knew how much she broke my heart.
Keep posting as it has been a hoot. Some of you will remember as Boom Boom or Boomer and some as Sullivan or Silky after the horse but my real name was ron Reichenbaum and I graduated from St. Martins in 1959 but thats another chapter.

Flip

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silky_sullivan, Hi even though i dont remember many of the names you know(maybe age difference) i did know the Falarka twins Fred and frank , and the other kids too ! your right the daughter was a looker ! I knew their mom too Louise , the young son's name escapes me and the daughteres name too ,
What a Memory ! like a steel trap (RUSTED SHUT) LOL !

Flip

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silky_sullivan, Now i Remeber the son was mike , fred and frank married some Great girls Penny, Mary, Very nice ladies !

Silky_sullivan

Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flip

My younger brother was Mike. He hung out with the Cunninghams I think. Did you ever pitch coins on the corner?

Ron_saad

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had the store in the 50-70's

Silky_sullivan

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you remember a girl named Wanda that lived around Newport or Eastlawn area? She had two hugh Great Danes. Around the late 50's and early 60's.

Brenda

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silky: What a fantastic vinette and the detailed memory of your neighbors, friends and time periods! Stellar...though I went to Guyton School..part of the Mr. Weitschat's favorite teacher gang, the neighborhood was quite unique and wonderful...again, great story!

Little_mike

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silky:

Speaking of Manistique & Essex, this might be politically incorrect, but do you remember a guy that used to live around there named Jack the Midget? He was a little person. But back then, the term "Little Person" was far from being in place.

Cgoodger
Username: Cgoodger

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new to this thread...I was wondering if any of you remember Donna Lee Durie or Al Durie. Donna is my mother and Al was my grandfather. I stumbled across this thread (sort of by accident)and read the wonderful things some of you had to say about my mother, my uncle Dale, and my grandfather. How excited I was to find this and share it with my mother!!!!

Flip

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi Cgoodger,
I Remember al Durie and his family quite well, al's wife Thelma, son dale and Daughter donna Lee ! Al Was a great guy, And i was Heart broken, at what happened to him in the end ! My family and many of the neighbors loved AL and his stores.
I remember getting a 7 cent coke and 10 cents for Cherry Coke with real cherries ! Donna Lee sweet Shop was known far and wide to many, the store had a little post office, that al's wife ran during the day, and dale would be working when his mom was busy !

Flip

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cgoodger,
I Remember your Grampa Al, Sent me over to Get a "NEW" swirl ice cream from Donna Lee's when he first got that machine and had me come back to his Beer and wine Store, and for the customers would ask me ,? Hey kid, where did you get that Cool Ice Cream Cone from ?? then i would Respond, at Donna Lee's Sweet Shop ! for the advertising Value ! I Remember all of the store employees that Al had, Lee Cooper, and an old woman named marie ! and there Was another, but her name escapes me right now !

Flip

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cgoodger,
your uncle dale was a fun guy too ! my brother and his buddy dave hung out with dale, and sold christmas tree's on that lot next to the Donna Lee Sweet Shop every christmas ! what a blast just thinking about that ! dale had a ford falcon, and then a ford comet with what was called dumps on it ! very loud !

I had heard that your uncle dale had passed, some years back ! and with the injury he received During that Robbery, i'm sure that played a large role in his Early passing !

Your Family was a neighborhood Icon, everyone knew the Durie Family !

Cgoodger

Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flip...do you mind if I ask what your name is?

It is soooo exciting to hear stories about my family. My uncle Dale died several years ago...yes, pretty much from complications from the shooting. I have very fond memories of him and he was VERY FUNNY! My grandma Thelma (Al's wife) is still alive - and of course, Donna Lee (my mother) is doing well. She loved hearing the stories that you wrote about her, the family, and the old stores.

Thanks for sharing the memories....I love reading them!

(Message edited by Cgoodger on March 25, 2009)

(Message edited by Cgoodger on March 25, 2009)

Davedoc

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Silky...my sister graduated from St. Martins around the same time "Pat Moffitt". we lived on Eastlawn close to Essex.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 148
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave you had to live close to the Lapointe's for awhile

Flip

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cgoodger, my name is Dan, just one of your Grampa "AL's" many bottle boys during those years . me and Hughie McDonald, Dave wissenger, Dave Bell, were just a couple of the guys who at times worked for your Grampa, He did more for the neighborhood than the YMCA , keeping us young guys from getting into trouble !! your mom I didn't personally know, but new of her from dale and al ! and of course your Grandma Thelma !
If you Search around this memory thread and post Al Durie's beer and wine Store, And the Donna Lee Sweet Shop , you will find hundreds, maybe thousands of people that will tell the Stories of Donna Lees'

Oh yeah another lady that worked form your grandpa was "Vi" and worked for your grandpa for years ! Your Grandpa lived on Piper Street, and us Bottle boys would run over and feed his hunting dogs, he kept ina back yard pen ! very nice Dogs, They loved seeing us kids come over !
I remember seeing your grandpa and your uncle dale returning from a hunting trip, and us kids kids loved grabbing up those dogs on their leash and putting them in the pen ! those dogs were so big, it was almost too much for us kids to hold on to them !
I remember the Detroit news had a paper distribution Stand next door to AL's place and on the weekend, it would be a not house with all of those kids filling up their delivery bags and stopping in at Al's for pop and gum !
I can remember that store Like it was yesterday !
do you mind if i post a thread to ask if anyone has stories about al's place !

Cgoodger

Posted on Friday, March 27, 2009 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont mind at all. My mom's birthday is today. She asked me yesterday if anyone had posted anything...she will love to know that you posted something today...I will tell her as soon as she gets home from work.

You are the first person to tell me about my grandpa's dogs and his hunting trips. I knew my dad (Ronald Lee Murray) hunted...but never knew that my grandpa and uncle Dale hunted.

It was very funny the first time I stumbled upon this thread...cause many of the stories that were being told are stories that my mom had told me my whole life...especially the coke with real cherries for 10 cents and the Cinderella Theatre. My mom also told me stories about my grandpa bringing chips, pop, and his juke box into the empty space near his store and having dances for the kids...do you remember that at all?

I, unfortunatly, never met my grandpa al and I was kinda young when my uncle passed...but these stories are priceless to my mother...and myself!

Thanks again!

Brenda

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little Mike: Please go see Mr. Weitschat...it will be good for both of your souls! He is a unique and gifted teacher and time...and will probably never happen again...we were blessed with his genius and stellar teaching skills...I am excited that I am going to a Garwood/Stonefront (band from there) in June up in Ann Arbor....should be another great moment in time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.