Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » :::Eastside Memories Megathread::: » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital - 2 » Paradise Lost - Lakeside Trailer Park and Marine Hospital - 3 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nancy Conlin (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.212.44.24
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, isn't this fun! A St. Martin Neighborhood reunion in September, 2004 brought many people back together for one too short afternoon. Lots of memories were shared, but this forum has really gone into wonderful detail. Those were certainly good times and the neighborhood a great place to grow up.
Guyton Elementary school has been in the news lately since it is one that the Board of Education wants to close. Students, parents, and teachers rallied together to protest because the school and neighborhood commitment is still stong. Says something for the pull of the area -even though the demographics change, the feelings and goals are the same.
I stayed in the neighborhood from birth through 1984 and enjoyed the entire experience. It was time to go when it was time to go. I am sorry that kids nowadays don't seem to have that connection of community.

(Message approved by admin)

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cousin Mike, Dave And Patricia.
Hi Ginny.
I'm Ron Saad We had the store on Eastlawn and Freud. I also worked at Tommy's.On the Bait Side. Ginny, Are you Kenny and Eddies Sister?

Sharon Anthony Stark (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 209.30.152.176
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you to everyone for the walk down memory lane. Jimmy Amato-it's me, Debby's friend. Say "hi" to Debby for me. My family lived on Eastlawn across the street from Ron Saad. I am reading this from my home in Plano, Texas. It was great to show my son the aerial view of the old neighborhood.

Mike Saad (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.60.134.11
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Ron,

How nice to hear from you. I remember you well, even though you were a bit younger than I was, as I recall.

Of course that memory is from about 1964, so I'd say it was a safe bet that you have changed somewhat.

Good to hear from you. I hope you and your extended family are well.

Mike Saad
497 Kitchener
224 Phillip

Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mark Colden, And a Very special "Hi" to you Nancy Conlin. Just seeing your name in print makes me smile!

Mark, you asked a while back about the floods in the Jeff-Chalmers area - especially along Ashland and Manistique.

I was under the impression that there was a pumping station at Jefferson and Ashland at the bump. But I couldn't get a fix on that memory. Turns out there was such a building and there is even a current construction project on the books to refurbish it as part of a large settlement on floods in that area!

It seems that the City of Detroit Water and Sewage Department had a plan that when significant rainfall occurred and flooded the sewers in Grosse Point Park, the raw sewage water would be diverted into Fox Creek! This went on for years. A recent court-ordered settlement has been written and it includes building adequate capacity sewer and pumping systems for Fox Creek. Floods which invoked the "Combined Sewer Overflow" plan would inevitably flood the street and basements of the Detroit-side residents! My, my, my.

Does anyone have a recollection of such a pump-building at Jefferson and Ashland?

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1320
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Mike, the "Fox Creek Backwater Gates" are located in this building on the north side of Jefferson at Ashland.

Fox Creek Gates

I'm not sure of their exact purpose, but I figured since the creek was buried or put into a cement tube upstream from here in the 1920s, this was used to control the flow of water from the creek. I don't know about household sewage, but certainly street drains in the Grosse Pointes would have been connected to the buried Fox Creek - a place where the water would have drained to anyway, before the creek was buried. These gates probably controlled the flow of water from the creek into the open canal and if anything, restricting the flow would have caused backups into the streets of GP. On the other hand, not restricting the flow may have caused the canal to overflow its banks.

Sewage now gets directed down to the treatment plant near Zug Island, and street drainage of storm water goes to Conner Creek where a huge new treatment facility has been constructed.

Nick Sinacori (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.249.244.32
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have the slightest knowledge of who "Lawrence R. Hansen" was? The playfield was located on Drexel and Averhill...Does anyone remember Keating School or have pictures of it...Business along Essex Ave. Windmill Pointe Pharmacy at Newport and Essex..LaFleur's Markets at Conner and Freud and Newport and Essex...Greenleaf Market...Sinclair Service at Eastlawn and Essex...Gulf Service (Vojutush) on Freud...The supermarket at Eastlawn and Jefferson was "Great Scott" the bowling alley was upstairs...Good Housekeeping, Singer, Hillers Mens Wear...Esquire Theatre...anybody have pics of these?

Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem,

Thanks again for bringing rich detail to my memory. The picture of the Fox Creek backwater gates station is perfect!

When I was a young man, my brother's girl friend was learning to drive a stick shift. We used to drive east on Korte and pull to the curb at Ashland.

As part of my "driver's ed" training for her, she was required to pull up the hill on Korte as we approached the Fox Creek Bridge at Alter Road and stop on the incline. Then she had to release the clutch and proceed up the hill and over it, stopping at the stop sign at the base of the hill. I spent several trips with her jerking back and forth, as the little car stalled over and over until she got the hang of balancing the gas and clutch combination. It was all part of the "learning to drive a stick" ritual of that neighborhood.

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pat Anthony.
The Boy you mentioned, Richard Saad. He's my brother. He's a a Chor Bishop for the Maronite Catholic Church
Mike Saad, Are you still a cop?
I graduated with the last class at St Martin's in 1970.
Ron

Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post Script: When did the Lakeside Trailer Park open...Does anyone know what existed on that site prior to the Trailer Park...The Hock family had property in that area does anyone know of this family...Alfred Brush Ford is named for the nephew of Henry Ford...A.B. was an Army Air Force pilot in WWII, he died in action...Guyton was from Evart, Michigan just south of Cadillac...He indeed was the first American casualty in WWI...Does anyone remember a Packard dealership in GP Park?

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Saad here again.
Mike Mooney
I worked at Tommy's when he called the ducks, You were close He would call them from out of the skies with the Words Babies, Here Babies. Hundreds were come out and go right by his feet. We use to go to the the feed store and he would buy hundreds of pounds of food. The Hunter's loved him cause they were corn feed.But he hated the hunters. Tommy bought me my first 2 cars.(1968) The first was was a 53 Buick. Now everybody that knows me knows that I am not too big. When I was 16 looked 11, I had to sit on a phone book to look over the steering wheeel. The thing was gigantic, had to pull seat way up to so I could hit the gas pedal. Whem Tommy died. I never seen a funeral procession so long in my life. Had to be 4-5 miles long. We use to go buy the lighthouse and the hospital to dip for minnows, That's how Tommy got his minnows to sell.We would go get them ourselves. I also lived at the house next to the Marina. Tommy and Josie used to live above the marina. It was a beautiful place. The store at Korte and Alter was Byerley"s.
Remember the Big 4. $ cops in a big old Chrysler. They used to scare the heck out of us.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe there was a hotel located where A.B. Ford Park is. The name of it: Dodd Woods at the foot of what became Lakewood Ave. Prior to 1917 this road was called "Marshland Road." Does any one have pictures of this hotel? Incidentally, the previous location for the Marine Hospital was Jefferson at Mt. Elliott, the current INS office.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron Saad is now registered

Ron_saad

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RoSaad@aol.com
E-mail anytime.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 1:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious...what year did Tommy (the original owner) die? Who took over the business and what changes, if any, took place? Tax records show the property to have been built in 1964. Does anybody else have memories of the marina and/or Tommy?

Ron_saad

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Tommy Died in 79 or early 80's.
Josie kept the business for awhile, Then she sold it and chaged the name to Fishereman's marina. Might be that name now.
Ron

Michael Mooney (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.43.189.4
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Eastside:
I remember in the early 1960's Tommy had a wooden animal cage on his bait store counter top with a sign that said, "caution weasel inside." While attempting to peer inside, Tommy would trigger a spring that would quickly pop the hindged top open, where he had attached a squirrel's tail! It would scare the bejeezus out of the kids. It was all good fun. Around 1964 or 1965, the parking lot at Angel was changed from gravel and dirt to paved black top. One of the peculiarities about Angel Park was that it was of the few Detroit City Park that allowed alcohol use within the City limits. The way I was told, this was because of some kind of arrangement that Tommy had with city officials, pertaining to his having a license to sell beer and wine. Remember the "BoonesFarm" wine craze? To my knowledge, the only other city park that allowed alcohol use was Belle Isle.
Michael Mooney

Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, Ron,

How does one become a registered guest (member)? I have looked through the links, but can't find a resource for registering.

Ron, No - not a cop any longer. Only did that for about 11 years.

One spring night in 1963 - I was walking home from my girl friend's house along Scripps. I heard what sounded to me like a baby crying in the bushes just east of Lakewood. I looked but couldn't find the source of the crying - it was really creepy. When I got home, my dad called the police to report my observation.

Next thing I know the Big 4 (we called them Cruisers, on the job) was parked in front of my house. They came into the house; listened to my story and literally picked me up under my elbows and walked me to their car - didn't ask my folks for permission or anything - WOW! They plopped me (not too kindly) between the two giants in the back seat and we drove over to the area. Naturally - no baby crying sounds anymore.

They seemed pretty miffed at me. They told me it was probably just a cat crying. I had never heard a cat cry and didn’t know that they sounded just like a crying baby. So, I argued with them about it. They literally tossed me out of their big black Chrysler sedan and made me walk back home again. They weren’t taking any back talk from a kid. Nevertheless, I was pretty impressed by the aura of power they exuded - a gruff confidence and fearlessness.

I had no idea that 6 years later I would be driving the Big Four Cruiser around in the First Precinct. It was a short but memorable stint.

Mike Saad

Mikem

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, try this link and scroll down to the bottom: https://www.detroityes.com/conditio ns.htm You should find a link to get you started towards registering. It used to be that you never had to register, but then folks would get in heated arguments (city vs suburb, political, racial, etc) and some would post under several different names/personalities to make it looks as though more shared their opinion than was the case. Registering is an attempt to keeps things honest and to make people think twice before they spout off. If you don't register, then a moderater reviews your posts before they show on this forum. Registering allows you to post with no delay. No personal information will show as you can see from my name over on the side. Having your name linked to an email address is optional too. If you do, then your name or "handle" will be linked to your email address.

I'm not sure how you guys found this site and what web address you are using to get to this discussion, but if you start at http://www.detroityes.com/ you will see a "Detroit Memories" link in the frame to the left. That's where this thread is located. The threads on "Discuss Detroit" and "Non-Detroit Issues" are the ones that get a little hot sometimes.

Mikem

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone mentioned Tommy's?:

Tommy's

Eastside

Post Number: 192
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There you go Mikem. Up until last year I kept my sea-doo there. Current owner Mike Thomas and crew are good people. Stopped by last year and watched Pistons-Pacers with 'em. I plan to stop by soon, share some brews and tell 'em about this forum.

Ginny Keusch (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.82.9.61
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tommy Cusumano died in 1976, and his wife Josie in 1992. Ron, I am Ken's wife. The pump station for the canal routinely drew all the water in (about weekly) and it was facinating to watch, as you could see all the debris on the bottom of the canal when it was in dredge mode.
The trailer park was there at least 40 years prior to my moving there in 1971. One of the residents, named "Murdoch" lived in the park for 30+ years. Her entire married life was lived in the trailer park in an 8ft Airstream... unbelievable for 2 persons in such a small place. She used to come over and hang / help out at Tommy's.
Tommy and Josie were also very kind to me. Most of the employees were family, but for a few of us. They had no children, so they were quite generous with everyone who worked for them. They bought my wedding dress, and they provided us with a boat slip after Ken and I were married. Tommy was quite an artist, he did many bronze sculptures of animals. I wonder where those are now. Not on Ebay, I have looked. Thanks for the picture of Tommy's. Certainly nice memories for me.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 7:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Eastside.
Tommy use to be a big time hunter. Are there still pictures and animals on the walls. He also had a alarm on the coffee plate when someone would try to take the change on the plate, A dime was welded to the wire and the alarm would go off. I gave him a sign that said A boat is a hole in the water water surrounded by wood into whick ones pours money. See if it's still on the wall. We also used to make lures and spoons for the muskies and the walleye's. I probably worked there for about 6 years.

Mark R. Colden (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.229.18.60
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy (I know your 61 – like me – and everyone now probably calls you Jim, but the Jim Amato I remember was Jimmy, so I hope you don’t mind if I still use that) – I think you’re right about the Ives shop teacher having a shock of white hair. But I do remember he was a cantankerous SOB, and stayed on my back. Seems like I had little aptitude for woodworking and only managed to make a couple of puppy dog doorstops the whole time I was there that passed muster. Imagine my surprise when he gave me a passing grade – go figure.

Unregistered Guest – I remember the Sealtest milkman. When I was a little boy, maybe five or six-years-old (this would have been around 1949 or 1950), he would do his route in a horse-drawn grey wagon with red Sealtest lettering on the side of the wagon and would let us ride with him for the half block from my house to the corner of Freud. After that, we switched to Borden’s and they used what was at the time the typical looking milk truck. I also remember the Awrey’s Bakery man. I think he came on Wednesday’s (could be wrong on this, though), but I loved the chocolate éclairs he had and to this day I can’t find pastry as good as those éclairs. But maybe it’s my memories of those days when I was an innocent kid and everything seemed so good that taints my taste buds in my older and more cynical years.

Eastside – I thoroughly enjoyed the pics in your last two posts and tried to visualize the stores from back-in-the-day that were on Jefferson. Does anyone remember El-Joes Gift shop, the Commonwealth Bank, Bill’s Bike Shop; Cunningham’s Drug Store, Winkleman’s, Hillers, the real Sutton’s Drug store (I don’t think the one that’s there now is under the same ownership)? Also, great pic of Tommy's! I haven’t been down there in a few years since my brother had some work done on his boat on Klink, but will make it my business to get down there soon.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Guyton is one of the schools on the DPS closing list this June. So last week, my brother and I went by there to see if we could get a tour of the old place. To our great surprise, the two of us were allowed to do so. We were escorted by a great guy who is the school’s engineer and he let us wander around with him for more than an hour. He’s also a 1970 graduate of Guyton (at least I think it was 1970), a board member of the alumni association and dearly loves the old place. I don’t think he’d mind if I posted his name here. He’s John Mohn (JM) and use to live on Marlborough – a really wonderful person – and maybe some of you might remember him. If so, he can be contacted through the alumni association’s web address at GuytonAlumni@yahoo.com. He even took us into the bowels of the basement where we would go as students when the bell rang ten times, signaling an air raid drill (no duck and cover under our desks for us) and there’s still some old Civil Defense artifacts down there. Boy was it a trip. The school’s appearance inside and outside is fine and looks a good deal as it did when I was a student there so many, many years ago. It is well kept, seems much loved by the staff, the kids are polite and looked very studious when I peeked into the classrooms. I saw the gym. it looks so small now, but it seemed huge when we played dodge ball, basketball and climbed those damnable ropes the are still hanging from the ceiling (of course, they’ve been changed many times since I was there). I went into the room where the health department gave us our first series of Polio shots. Guyton was one of the first schools to get them and they didn’t have the little tablets you could swallow that other schools received afterwards. Well enough about Guyton for now, but JM sent me copies of original archival information about the history of Guyton beginning in 1924 through 1961. Plus, some school board minutes that authorized the school’s construction from before 1924 – real interesting info that I’ll share in a later post.

Mike Saad – I’ll talk about my friends and my experiences with the “Big Four” in a later post, as I’m getting lengthy now.

Eastside

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Ron Saad

You betcha I will check out the things in your post...and it will be my pleasure doing it! Gonna have to wait till spring breaks though...the current owner lives upstairs in-season only. I will try to get some pics.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside. How old are you?

Ginny
We had to work together there.
I use to help Tommy with those sculptures. We had to go every other day almost to fill his welding tanks back up. Did Tommy and Josie ever tell you about the 2 bags of pennies he never opened?
Ron

Eastside

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ginny_keusch
Username: Ginny_keusch

Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't remember the pennies. Having worked on the food side, I spent more time with the her family (nieces / nephews) and most of our talk was probably centered around dating and girl things. I remember you Ron. I hung around with Debbie Maskill and girls from St Martin's. I graduated in 70 (Cass Tech), which I think is the same year as you. I worked there from 1968 - 1974.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's my addresses in Detroit.
786 Eastlawn
692 Eastlawn(Above our store Saad's Market).
263 Chalmers
418 Manistique
14649 Riverside Dr(Next to Tommy's Marina).

Mikem

Post Number: 1340
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Ron, I took this picture of 14649 Riverside last May and I think it burned a few months before that. The trailers at the trailer park burned up one stormy night in the fall of 2003, and this house was still in good condition then.

14649 Riverside

One of these days I'll get some pictures of the other places mentioned in this thread.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's not the house. WOW Is it? Is it next to Tommy's. If you look at Tommy's, the house is to the right.
The house was next to the marina.
Canal in the back

Mikem

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you can see Tommy's on the left edge of the picture above, and when I zoom in on the address it shows that it was made into a duplex with addresses of 14645 & 14649:

Ron_saad

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. That's it. Thanks Mikem
What a shame. I was there when I was in the service.My mom stayed there with my muscle car for 3 years as so did I. It's funny I don't remember the grass and stuff. There use to be a boat lunch to the right of the house. Klenks boat ramp.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is some thought about having another St. Martin's Neighborhood Reunion this summer - not waiting a few years, as had first been proposed. The magic of the first reunion - the immense surprise at seeing the hundreds of old friends and family - won't be duplicated, but it seems a shame to let too much time go by before everyone gets together again.

Is there enough interest? What do all the readers of this thread think?

This is such a great thread - but I think the boys of St. Martin's had vastly different experiences than the girls. Some of us were in Girl Scout meetings, at Sodality meetings and Year Book meetings or having cherry cokes at the drugstore on Newport & Essex or reading cheap women's magazines full of scandalous stories from the Bridge store while the boys were digging in old ruins and falling in the canals!

Not entirely unadventureous,we would sometimes sneak into Guyton on summer evenings and run furiously down the polished corridors. We also climbed into the Pointe park through an opening in the fence obscured by bushes. Our parents knew and seemed to approve! We thought the River belonged to us - all of it!

Eastside

Post Number: 221
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

c'mon people...keep the memories flowing

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Southwest Map...

It is probably a good thing that the boys had different experiences from the girls, but I am wagering that you saw many of the same things through different filters.

You mention "Sodality" as if it was the exclusive domain of the girls. I along with a bunch of other guys from Martin's was in the boys’ sodality. I wonder if you are in the picture of our sodality trip to Chicago.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread and feel like some of us may have hi-jacked it from the original line of thought which was recalling memories of Angel Park and the Marine Hospital. But those locations were two of many landmarks that serve to anchor and enrich the memories of living in the area bounded by Jefferson, the River, Alter Road and Conner in the 50s and 60s.

Hmmmmm - Southwestmap - I wonder if I know you behind that pseudonym?? I was at the reunion, did we chat?

Its hard to mention Angel Park and not immediately link it to Lakewood Park. Until I wrote these words just now, I had forgotten that there was a place near the entrance to Lakewood for people to park their cars. It was on the right as you entered the Park from Lakewood street. You parked facing east and could actually nestle a car under the branches of large old trees.

I had only ridden to Lakewood once while in high school (walking was my mode of transportation back then.) I was the back seat passenger of an older friend who had just purchased a new red Chevy Corvair convertible. He had his date and he had arranged for another gal to join us also. I was an underclassman to the 3 of them and was totally intimidated by the poise and beauty of the girl with me in the back seat. It was a great place to park for moments of quiet "conversation."

Mike Saad

James Amato (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.47.247.222
Posted on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon Anthony Stark....
Wow! Wait until I tell Debbie you post here and said hello. I'm going over to her house for dinner on Monday Apr 11th. I'll be sure to tell her. When was the last time you talked with her? I am a bit confused between Pat & Sharon. Debbie is still working at Cottage and Bon Secure? hospital. She is planning on quitting work soon. Their house is paid off and as soon as all the upgrades are paid off she's going to retire. Nice to see you here. Come back and post often.

Mark Colden....
Mark you can call me anything you'd like. I'm not particular. The girls call me James for some reason and the guys call me Jim. I have a nickname I've been carrying around for most of my life. It came out of my last name Amato then it evolved to Amatts, then to Splots, and finally Blots. Don't ask. All I know is that I'm stuck with it. lol That's funny because you are right that shop teacher was a true SOB. Too funny. I don't remember much but I do remember that for sure.
I'm going to attempt to upload a few pictures of the street I lived on. I'm not sure if I should upload after or before this post so have mercy on me if I get it wrong. Be back soon

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,

I went to the USGS website and got the following images of the end of Alter Road, Angel Park, Lakewood and the empty lot where Marine Hosp. once stood. Marine Hospital Area The other image is of what I think is Tommy's Building. Tommy's?

Ron - Ginny, can you confirm?

You might have to zoom in on the images to make them larger to get a better view ot go to http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com/ to view them yourself.

Mike Saad

Ron_saad

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike.
It's hard to tell. Has to be around there.

JAmes Amato

Tell Debbie Ron Saad said hi. I graduated with her and Dennis.

jeanne cole (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.188.230.148
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not from the immediate neighborhood being discussed here, but some of the last names (Cusumano, especially)sound very familiar. My father was a Detroit cop for 37 years, and I grew up around 7 and Kelly. My friends and I were St. Jude, Austin, and Regina people. I am enjoying this so very much, because it sounds a lot like my neighborhood in the 60s and 70s.
Did any of you know any of the Orem family from Philip St? The father was a Detroit policeman named Sid. There were 8 kids who would have been born between about 1941 and 1965. One was a guy named Brock who sounds about the age of Michael Mooney. Both he and his dad commited suicide in Angel Park about 10 years apart (mid 60s and mid 70s)

Ginny_keusch
Username: Ginny_keusch

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that is an aerial of Tommy's. I even think our trailer is visible as it was only about 4 down the from the road (Riverside). I have 2 photos of the back canal by Lakewood Park that I will upload later this week or next, as I am on the wrong computer.
Ken (husband) remembers a Christine Orem who was in his graduating class ( 1968). Not sure if they would have gone to St Martin's as Phillip was generally St Ambrose territory, unless they were down by the river.
We will be in the area on Sunday, so I will try to get a few pictures if I am able to break away from family.

Jeanne Cole (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.188.230.148
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Christine was one of the older girls. I don't know what what school they went to. I was closer to Brock and Elaine, who was another sad story. She became a model in New York and was later murdered.
Boy, I sound like a real ray of sunshine, don't I?

Tim Mooney (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeanne
I (Michael Mooney) remember a guy named Brock, only I think it was his last name. A "Gary Brock" comes to mind and I place him as living around Drexel or Coplin street, between Kerchevel and Jefferson, oh...I'd say 1965 or there abouts. By the way, that is definitly Tommy's in the center of the last picture. A little info on the old Marine Hospital, it was closed in the early 1960's and sat vacant for some years. The guardhouse at the gate remained manned for some time. In 1970, the Feds opened up a methadone clinic there only using the building to the left of the main hospital and one of the houses in the rear of the main hospital. In 1973, the Feds sold their methadone business to a private enterprise that continued to dispense methadone until around 1974 or 1975. That was the last (to my knowledge) time that any business was conducted on the property. Years later, in the early 1980's, some of the lower eastside "creatures of the night" broke into the facility and discovered a well stocked pharmacy that included bottles of methadone and other controlled narcotics that were left over from the days when the Feds ran the clinic. Also, in the main hospital, a lot of medical equipment and related paraphrenalia, such as gurneys, crutches, hospital beds, syringes, bandages, etc., began to show up in the neighborhood and my inquires revealed that some addicts were quietly "excavating the hospital ruins" in the dead of night. Rumor had it that everything was pretty much left intact after the Marine Hospital officially closed its doors in the 1960's! This also included huge medical equipment, such as x-ray machines and the like. I am having a lot of problems posting on this site, after attempting to log on as a "registered guest." I get a message that says my user name closly resembles another user's name. Hereafter, I may have to log on by using an alias, such as my younger brother, Tim Mooney.

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Mike Saad:

I believe the Oram (Correct spelling) family lived in and went to school in St. Martin Parish. I just checked an old yearbook and saw Karen Oram's picture. The '63 yearbook showed her as a freshman at that time. I recall the sad incident of their father's death.

I am not familiar with the other members of the family, but recall there may have been other sisters in my brothers' or sister's classes.

If I am not mistaken, Karen was in the home-coming queen's court in '64.

Jeanne Cole - when did your dad retire? I was on from 68-79.

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.236.133.231
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Saad,
My dad was on the force from 1936 to 1973. He retired as an Inspector out of the 1st precinct. He had previously been at 5, 15, was in charge of the license and censor bureau in the 60's. His first name was Jim (Cole). Where were you posted? And did you know an Ed Marshall or Jack Dugan on the force?
Thanks for the correct spelling on Oram. It didn't look right the way I spelled it, but I guess I was thinking of the city in Utah.
All of the Oram girls were really pretty. There were (as far as I remember)Karen, Christine, Debbie, and Elaine. There were at least 3 boys: Brock, Scott and Stevie, all equally good looking. I think I'm missing someone, but I was on the young end of things. My mom and dad were very close to Sid and his wife, Dutch, through the police department.

James Amato (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello again,
Ron Saad - I'll be sure to tell Deb that you said hello. She will get a kick out of that for sure.
Well my pictures didn't post yet so maybe they won't. It's up to the administrator of this site. No problem either way. I'm wondering how much band width they have. I hope they don't run out.
I'm going to post my email address in case anyone would like to get in touch with me. I'm not sure how liberal we can get with these posts or if the administrator wants to stay close to the subject header. So far it seems to be fine but one never knows. Anyway here it is. If you do e-mail me be sure to put "Dicuss Detroit" on the subject line so I don't delete it. I usually don't open mail I don't recognize. Thanks Be back soon. Jim jamato865@wowway .com

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that everyone means well, but let's drop the Oram discussion. There are very tender feelings in that family, as you can imagine. I'm sure that no one of us meant to make a big thing of their history, but we'd have a hard time forwarding this thread to one of them - and its being happily forwarded far and wide.
This discussion thread has been a lot of fun - let's be mindful of feelings going forward.

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Mike Saad:

Hi Jeanne Cole,

I was on from 68-79 (great years to be on the job!)But I did not retire from there.

I was assigned to 1st precinct as a rookie for about 2 years, but as I recall, Harry Anderson was the Inspector when I walked a beat out of there. I soon transferred to TMU ('71) and later to a special detail for the last 4 years through early 1979.

Your dad's name is familiar to me as is Marshall's. There was an "older" fellow at # 1 named Marshall (I was only 22, so anyone over 30 seemed older) and I believe his name was Ed. I actually have a vivid picture in my memory of the Marshall I am thinking of, even though he would have been on an opposite shift from me. Jack Dugan's name doesn't ring a bell.

Was your dad the Inspector at # 5 when we all lived there in the 60s or 70s? WOW! I know a lot of my contemporaries got trotted home by the cops rather than to the St. Jean station back then. It may have delivered just as strong a message to have to face your parents if the cops dropped you home after an “incident” back in those days.

I truly believe that courtesy was extended because so many cops (and firefighters) lived there, graduated from schools there, coached there, had kids in school there, went to church there or had similar moments growing up in that neighborhood, which they knew as the 5th precinct and we knew as home.

Mike

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, I didn't realize I was offending anyone. i was only trying to find out what had become of a family that was rather important to my family a number of years ago, and had lost touch with them. My parents and sister were god-parents to most of the family, and had been looking for them last year. I was friends with them and only had good intentions. Please,excuse my questions.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Mike S.
My dad was at 5 in the early seventies.I think he was an interim commander there. It seems as if he was covering for someone else. During the riots, he was in charge of the East side of the city at night, and worked with the 81st army division out of SouthEastern High School. I was only 11 then, so it's a little fuzzy. The last few years he was mostly out of downtown. In the late sixties he was in the City County building, and in the seventies he was mostly at number one(aside from the time at 5)
Ed Marshall would have come on the force in the early seventies. He was from Almont, and was a very large young guy.
I know what you mean about the cops at 5 being extended the courtesy of not arresting their kids. The 15th was our home, and Dad had worked there, too. My older brother would get in trouble, and as soon as the officer found out my dad was on the force, he would get off with a warning or be escorted home. We hung out at Heilman park and when I was older, over at Balduck, and many is the time that I used Dad's name to avoid trouble. Even after we left Detroit, and my Dad was police chief in Almont, he would usually give warnings or send kids home rather than arrest them, unless it was really heinous. He just didn't see the point in jailing a 17 year old for a couple cans of beer. I even got some special treatment from the Lapeer sheriffs for parking with a boyfriend on one of the dirt roads. When they found out my dad was Chief in Almont, all they did was announce the fact that I was out necking on the county wide police radio!!!! That was peachy, let me tell you.
It's really nice to be able to reminisce about some of this stuff with people who remember. It brings back the good times, and makes them feel like yesterday again.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All:
What gives? I just noticed that we have two seperate tracks going on! I am posting this on one "Paradise Lost" site, but I just noticed that there is another "Paradise Lost" site going on that has less posted notes from some of us between 4/8/05 and today, 4/17/05. Does anyone know why?
Tim Mooney

Mikem

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, what happened was the owner of the site made a photo tour of the Lakeside Trailer Court and asked people to comment on it in this thread, as you can see from the very first posting at the top of this page.

At the same time, he dicovered the US Marine Hospital marked on a map and didn't know anything about it, so he started a second thread about the hospital -- there is a link to that thread (which you posted on earlier) at the very top of this page.

Initially, the hospital thread got more responses, but as this thread grew, he decided to combine them into one since they basically cover the same area. Seems as though this one has taken precedence for the former residents waxing nostalgic. Usually when threads are combined, one is locked out to keep posters all on one page. Not in this case. I'd say stick with this thread in the future to avoid missing anything.

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.229.111.38
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimmy – I guess I’ll have to continue to call you by your childhood moniker because that’s the way I see you in my mind’s eye – two little boys playing and walking to school together. This, at least until we see each other again, hopefully, sometime this summer at a reunion of some sort – even if it's just the two of us at an spur-of-the-moment get -together at a bar over a few beers reminiscing of times long gone and never to be recaptured except in our memories. Then given our advanced ages, ailments, thinning hair (at least in my case) – I guess I'll have to call you Jim, too. Oh, how the time has passed by so quickly. It seems as if it took a hundred years to turn 16 so I could get my drivers license, then another hundred to get to 21 so I could legally get into the bars, but only five minutes to reach 61.

Mikem – Finally, I have the definitive answer and solid proof to the question you posted on March 6 asking whether the old neighborhood suffered a major flood in the early 1970s. Yes. It was March 1973. After months of searching through old photographs, my brother finally found the pictures (35-millimeter slides) of the great torrent that swept the area back then. I’ll have them developed when he gets back from his two-week stint in D.C., where his daughters and grand kids live and try to post them as soon as I can after that. They were taken from our front porch (576) Chalmers between Freud and Essex, and you can see the boat I mentioned in a previous post floating down the middle of the street. You can also see Gar Wood brother’s old house across the street. You were also right about the sandbagging of the canals to hold back the soaring water levels because my brother went down there to lend a hand.

Diana Mery – You asked about Eddie Michaels in your 3/19 post. Michael Mooney said his brother had a friend, Joe Michaels, from the neighborhood who might be Eddie’s brother. He checked it out and found they weren’t related. Do you have any info on what ever happened to Eddie Michaels or Frank Closurdo? I lost contact with them after high school, and would really like to know how they are doing.

Ginny Keusch – Was Clifford Briggs still living in the trailer court when you were there? Does anyone else remember Cliff? He was very tall for his age and lived in the trailer court during the 1950s and maybe even into the 1960s.

Reading and re-reading the reminiscing taking place in this forum about our ex-neighborhood and the good times we had growing-up there, the love we obviously still have for the old place, and the frustration many seem to share about the downward spiral the community took during the past 30 or 40-some odd years – although parts of it appear to be on the mend with new, and in some cases very up-scale developments creeping eastward from St. Jean. Starting there is the 80-acre Jefferson Village, with homes in the $200,000 to $300,000 range. The building resurgence was actually led by the fashionable (and expensive) Victoria Park, where Essex now dead-ends. It’s a gated community and Eastlawn, Piper and Coplin no longer cross Freud. I think the first street to cross is Dickerson. All of the streets between Eastlawn and Dickerson, south of Jefferson are gone, the result of even more new housing development. Then there’s Grayhaven (very expensive).

Initially conceived by Edward Gray around 1913, Henry Ford’s former chief engineer, Gray intended it to be an elite community when he began to develop Grayhaven Island. Unfortunately, Gray’s plans were plagued by bad luck from the start. His bold idea went bust in 1929 when a terrible flood hit the area. Not long after the river’s overflow the stock market crashed and that finished the project. But before that, he sold a few parcels, most notably to Edward Fisher (of the Fisher Brothers fame) who built the $2 million mansion we all remember so well. And Garfield “Gar” Wood built a 40-room palace at the tip of Grayhaven Island.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Hey James A.
I would think that our paths must have crossed in the past, as evidenced by your 4/8/05 posting about Al and Dale Dury. I too was more of a greaser and I hung around on "The Avenue," rather than at the Bun. However, I spent countless days hanging around Donna Lee's. Dale was several years older than us and he used to take the gang of us driving around in his brown car, I almost remember the make and model, possibly a Comet, circa 1964 or 1965. When we were about 16 or 17 years old, he would occasionally drive us guys downtown to "see the sights" (street walkers) around John R and Brush. We would never stop. I also hung out a lot at Cardens, on Jefferson by Coplin. Somewhere around 1967 or so, I turned in my "greaser image" for more of the Hippy look. I remember the "Love In" at Belle Isle. Thats around where Angel park really came in for me, although I have been going to both parks (Lakewood and Angel) for years as a kid. I'll throw a few names at you from the Avenue...Bob Larmen? He is dead now, but one time he had quite the reputation as a "street brawler." In the mid 1960's, he had a fistfight in the old "Silver Lady Lounge" that became a local legend. "Little Jack" Dove was another guy with a tough reputation from the early 1960's. There was another friend of mine that became somewhat of a public activist by the name of Tim Gallagher. Up at Mellow Music, there was a guy that worked the counter named Bill Schelra(?) although I don't think that is how his last name was spelled. One of my closest friends was a black guy that also went the "hippy route" by the name of Larry Cole. There was a group of guys in the mid-1960's that called themselves, "The Newport Mafia." Mostly it was good fun that centered on beefing up muscle cars with cheater slicks, headers, and such. Dave Korbizer(?) Butch Allport, Will Lonegan, Morris Morgan and others come to mind. There was another popular guy in the neighborhood by the name of "Vito." At one time he drove a Corvair and hung out at the bowling alley on Eastlawn & Jeff. Also, one of the regulars at the bowling alley was a german guy named Hermann Hell. Any of these names ring a bell? Anyway, I have extremely fond memories of my life on "the lower eastside," as we called it back then. I am going to sign off and post this as as "Tim Mooney" because of an apparent snafu with my using "Mike Mooney." To Mike Saad, I have a friend named Jimmy Dally that says he knew your whole family from back in the Kitchner Street days! He works for me now as a drug counselor. Keep the memories flowing!

Unregistered guest
Posted on Monday, April 18, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Jim Amato:
I (Mike Mooney) went to the "Marine Hospital" link at the top of this forem and posted a response to your 4/8/05 posting on that link. I was unaware that two threads were being posted simultaneously.

Pat Preston (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.165.66.42
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,
Pat Preston here. This is really great. Thanks to Mike Saad and Mo Powers for notifying me of this site. Being that I have a degree in history and consider myself an amateur historian concerning the old neighborhood I hope to in the near future begin to post stories, anecdotes and possibly put other people mentioned in many of your memories in touch with you or let you know what happened to them.
Be in touch again soon,
Pat

Diana Mery (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.153.18.9
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Mark Colden,
Know I havent heard or seen Eddie Michaels since I moved from Philip St in 1970's..Does anyone on this website have any info on him or Frank Closurdo?

Eastside

Post Number: 254
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.detroityes.com/frameset -forum.htm
Does anybody have any recollection of this church?

Mikem

Post Number: 1425
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one?: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/43023.html?1114316422

Eastside

Post Number: 255
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you.

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 4.229.111.70
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside – I think that’s the remnants of the Jefferson Ave. Evangelical Baptist Church built around 1921. If memory serves, it’s in the right location and even pictured in its present state still looks vaguely familiar. I went to St. Columba Episcopal Church further east, but remember a (white) Baptist church on Jefferson near the Cinderella Theater. The only other Baptist church (the congregation was black) I remember in the area that looked as if it was built to be a place of worship (not a converted storefront church) was on Connor between Jefferson and Freud.

Let me echo Diana Mery’s plea for any info about Eddie Michaels and Frank Closurdo. Also, does anyone know anything about Harry Diamond (and/or his sisters, Matilda and Paula) and Clifford Brigs.

Mikem

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this article in a 1956 Chrysler employee magazine. Maybe a little west of your neighborhood, but close enough:

treasure1
treasure2
treasure3

Ron_saad

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ginny.

Did Ken live on Newport? He was also small like me wasn't he?
I use to go fishing with Eddie, He use to pick me up on his bicycle and we went down to the park to fish. I still fish alot.
I remember old lady Murdoch, As I said earlier, Tommy bought me my first 2 cars and the first one he bought was from her for 50 dollars(53 Buick). My mom knew her from somewhere, I'm not sure if they went to bingo together or not.
That neighborhood sure changed fast. When we had the grocery store on Eastlawn and Freud and we sold it twice and it came back to us the third time and we tried to keep it open, but we had enough when the beer bottle came through our window upstairs where we were living. My mom said that was enough and we moved by Tommy's.
We couldn't sell the store for nothing and gave the property to the city. What a shame.

Ron Saad

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 66.82.9.90
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Ken's family lived at 865 Newport. He also has a younger brother Greg. Not a tall man, Ken is about 5'7.

Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.43.188.149
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To All:
Does anyone remember the City of Detroit had "Parks and Recreation" trackter/trailer trucks that used to come around the neighborhood on hot summer days with something like a mobile swimming pool for kids? It was a similar concept with the "Bookmobile." Also, fire hydrants were turned on to spray us kids when it was hot. I wonder is this still being done?

Ron_saad

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea I remember.
Remember Mr. Softy. Use to get a plastic baseball bat and ball when you ordered a milkshake.

Dan Scanlon (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 156.153.255.243
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re: 1950s photo of a St. Martin Dad's Club Fishing Derby at Lakewood Park.
Posted by Mike Saad

I would love to get a better quality softcopy of that photo, and I would be interested in sharing old photos from the neighborhood by email with one and all; especially pictures from Guyton or St. Martin's as I attended both.

I can't tell all of you how much I enjoy your posts. We lived on Ashland just a couple doors away from Mary Simon (Hello Mary; how are your sisters?)

Mary is the only poster here I remember knowing; I am a few years younger than most of the other folks here, but I would think some of you knew some of my other neighbors, like Mike Johnson, or Dee Wibby? (Mike played basketball for St. Martin's, Dee played football for Denby).

I remember a lot of the things you guys write about; I vividly recall the Cinderella movie house and Saturday matinees there (think it was 35 cents in my day).

I recall the plane crash; one of my neighbors who was maybe 10 or 12 actually brought home a human finger from the crash site, or so his Mom told my Mom.

Much more later

Dan Scanlon

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Don Scanlon,

I only have an e-copy of that picture, not an original. If you want to email me offline, I will try to find the e-copy and send it to you. It might give you a better quality to work with. I believe the original belonged to Debby Stafford, from St. Martin, but I am not sure about that.

I remember your name for some reason and I don't know why. I graduated from St. Martin in '64.

I remember Mike Johnson very well. He was a great guy and a close friend of our family - especially my brothers Jim and Dave. Mike not only played basketball for St. Martin but was on a couple softball teams that my brother Jim and I played on as adults. Mike's nickname was "Flash". Great Guy. He had an older sister named Linda. Class gal in school as I recall, although she was a bit older than I.

Mike Saad
mikesaad11@yahoo.com

Ron_saad

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan.
How old are you?
Where on Ashland did you leave? By Korte.
Didn't Mike have a 68 Charger. Did anybody call hin Indian?

Ron Saad

Jim Amato (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Tim Mooney, My post also got over on the Harbor Island thread. Strange. I couldn't tell you what happened there. I've really been busy so I haven't had a chance to post lately but here I am now. Gosh Tim it would seem that I know you for sure or at least knew of you back then. Well Bob Larman was a legend along the avenue. I hung out at the pool room on Dickerson and Jefferson with the guy. He was one bad dude. You did not want to mess with him. I saw him put 4 or 5 guys in the hospital one night. It was amazing. I couldn't believe someone could be that tough. WOW. All he ever did was work out in his garage all the time. The only problem with Bob is that if you were a male you didn't want to be alone with him. He never left me alone. He used to say I was between a Greek god and Jesus. Hmmmmmm. I also know Dave Korbizer although I can't remember his face. As far as the other guys you mentioned I don't recall any of those guys. I used to set pins at the Jefferson Club on Jefferson and Eastlawn. It was upstairs above Meyers Jewelry store. Keeping with my reputation a buddy and I kicked the display window out of Meyers Jewelry one night and stole a bunch of rings and stuff. That was scary. I was a pretty bad character in those days. I wasn't tough just crazy. The guys I used to hang with were, Jim Jendritz (Nip), Barry Walsh (Egg)Deceased, Jim DeStinfano (Quicky), The Brouillard brothers (Dennis & Terry), Jim Hunt, Dave Diamond (Deceased), The Thomas brothers, Al Borlase, John Harvey, Al Peas, and many others. About 50 in all. I hope we can all get together sometime face to face Tim. I would look forward to that.

To Diana Mery, I would also like to find Eddie Michaels and Frank Clasurdo. I was in the tenth grade with Frank. I used to sit right next to him. I would draw all these pictures and pass them over to him. He would about fall out of his seat laughing. We could really piss that teacher off. Man. I never laughed so hard in my life. We had a ball at least for a few months until I quit and went in the Navy. I was like the resident comedian. My skinny little fanny even played football for Southeastern. I think I was about 8th string. I did get some practice sessions though. At one session I tackled a guy and ran back to the end of the line to discover that my left thumb was pointed backwards. I was in a cast for months. I never played again. lol

To Mark Colden, Mark I would be the happiest guy in the world if I could see you just once more before I pass out of this world. I also have so many memories of those times. I don't miss what I was but I sure miss everyone from those days. I'm lucky enough to still see a number of my friends I grew up with. I pray we can meet as well as have a reunion of some sort soon this summer. Well enough for now. I have to get up early for church. Talk to you all soon.

Joeym
Username: Joeym

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

absolutley great
I'm joe michael and am no relation to eddie michaels although he lived three houses down on lakewood, his older brother is Bobby, a CPA
Diane and Tony, I know both of you very well
same with you Mike M
Jim Amato,???
Tom Kowalski Pat Preston, class amtes

B Welch (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.177.168.191
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also grew up near Windmill Point and remember the lighthouse, Angel Park and the hospital. Often passing freighters would sound their horns. My folks told us it was a way of saying 'Hello' from the freighter to someone they knew in the US Marine Hospital. I have wonderful memories of Detroit and am always interested in seeing effort to renovate the city. Thansk for the web site.

Tim Mike Mooney (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.43.188.23
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Joeym:
Is that you Joe? This is Mike Mooney, signing on as "Tim Mooney" because of a problem I have with my emailing this site. Some of the postings in February & March made a reference to "Eddie Michaels" and I had to check with Larry Hakim to see if this guy was related to you. Larry said "no" and I posted that on this site. If you get a chance, please mention this site to other "old timers" from the Jefferson/Chalmers eastside neighborhood. It is nice to relive past memories of a quieter, gentler time! Mike Mooney

(Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 69.14.92.176
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at 410 Chalmers and I can still vividly remember the flood in the 70's. The water stopped just short of the steps to our front porch.It seemed lke everyone was at Lakewood park filling sandbags to stop the water.

I got my first Bike from Bills Bike shop. I used to go to both the Cinderella and Esquire Theatres on the weekends with my dad. I remember Great Scotts and the bowling alley as well as the A&P at Ashland and Jefferson. A big day out was going shopping at Kresges and stopping at Saunders for ice cream on the way home ( I wasn't even 10 yet).

I used to ride my bike to Lakewood Park to play and I remember sneaking into the fenced off area next to it. I had no idea it used to be a missle silo!

I remember going to Angel Park, Byerley's (sp?), the subway store and the brink paving on Marlbourough. I went to Guyton and also remember getting polio shots there. I don't remember the swim-mobile but I remember the used to have arts and crafts classes there in the summer for kids to go to.

Thanks for bringing all these memories back

Sharon Bell

Brenda
Username: Brenda

Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at 419 Eastlawn--two street from St. Martin. I went to Guyton school and had friends from both schools. Someone mentioned the famous Venoffs(sp). One of them was at a Guyton reunion in 94 that I attended. I loved the beautiful trees that touched each other on the streets and the smell of burning leaves in the fall. I remember taking long walks to Lakewood Park and Angel Park. I later cruised with my 10speed along Windmill Point and onto Lakeshore Drive up to 8 mile before returning home. I had my little transistor attached to my bike so I could have tunes (before walkman or Ipods, lol). My radio was made by the Zenith company that my father worked for and made in America too! I loved going to Kresge and Saunders. My mother used to shop at Alberts and my friends were regulars at the Cinderella theater. I loved the book-mobile...still an avid reader.
Names that come to mind: Bycrafts, Hutchcrafts, Parkers, Worthman, Hofleys, Chenewith, Hanna and Zuellig.

Ron_saad

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. Thanks Brenda.
Don't know why it doesn't go to the last updated site. That way the years will be in order.

Brenda

Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the "Guyton Fair"...both students from Guyton and St. Martin always looked forward to this annual event. It was such a big thing in our neighborhood and a chance to see everyone all at once. A nice memory I wanted to share.

Brenda

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Guyton dodge the bullet again for closer. Must be an omen that the ghosts from our children won't let this school go to dust. Let us hope that DPS can get their act together and keep this beautiful school open for generations to come. At least for the people who went to St. Martin, their church is still there as a symbol of the years and memories they spent there.

Dennymit
Username: Dennymit

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody want to know how "Angel Park" got its name? I have the REAL story!

Thomas_silverman
Username: Thomas_silverman

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the previous posts, there was the mention of Bill Weitschat. Does anyone have any old, or current pictures of him? If so, could you post them? Thanks.

Brenda

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a reminder for new and old visiters to this site that I have Mr. Weitschat's address where he lives now to send him greetings for the holiday season. I know I posted it before. Goodness knows where it is buried. Please write to this dear man and keep the memories alive:

Mr. Willard (Bill) Weitschat
Christwood Hills Dementia Care
3735 Yorkshire Dr
Traverse City MI 49686-7202
Phone: 231-932-2051

To all the people I knew in the old neighborhood, both St. Martin and Guyton people, I wish you all a great Thanksgiving!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.