Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Firehouses - 2 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 66.161.214.251
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cavernous attic at Engine 18.

Livedog2
Username: Livedog2

Post Number: 966
Posted From: 24.223.133.177
Posted on Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Dfd!

quote:

The weirdest and probably one of the saddest things I ever saw happened in April of 1954 which makes that almost exactly 52 years ago this month. I was going to Davison Elementary School at the corner of Davison Ave. and Jos. Campau on the eastside of Detroit. The incident that happened was two guys got in a fight after school one day over a cigarette.

Now, if you don’t know the way these things take place, I’ll set the stage for you. Whenever there was a fight getting ready to start or already in progress everybody starts yelling, “fight” and then a herd of people head in the direction of the fight and form a moving circle around the combatants. The noise level becomes deafening because the bloodlust is rising dangerously and everybody starts egging the combatants onto even greater acts of violence.

Now, you have to remember that this action is all taking part over one cigarette. And, after the moving circle moved the combatants and the circle some four blocks away from the schoolyard it ended up on the corner of Davison Ave. between Arlington and Goddard Sts. right in front of a Fire Department Station. The reason the moving circle stopped was because the fight turned serious and the combatants had gone from playing the dozens, “selling wolf tickets” and “signifying” to serious combat. This was the day of straight razors, do-rags, pointed shoes with the tips shined to a fairtheewell and gold front teeth with a star in them.

I can even remember one of the combatant’s last names was Windhom. I couldn’t tell you his first name if my life depended upon it. And, the other combatants name is lost in the ether. The reason I remember Windom is because there were nine Windom brother and I went to school with three of them. Of the nine only three made it to their 20s but I digress.

At some point the straight razors came out and they carved each other up like a Christmas goose. But, the problem with razor wounds is that you don’t know you have them until you start to move and the flesh separates. The unnamed combatant had the cigarette but the viciousness of the fight left him on the ground bleeding and dying. So, Windom bent over, grabbed the cigarette, started laughing and started running away with the cigarette in his hand. He got about a block away, collapsed and was bleeding to death from his guts that were pouring out of his wounds. So, there you are with two dead young men dead over a cigarette.

Talk about disrespecting someone nowadays “ain't shit” because back in those days you could get killed as easy as you can today. Disrespecting people is a serious thing and people need to remember that fact. Out on the mean streets many a badass has been kicked-to-the-curb for real and forever for disrespecting someone! It’s important to remember that fact!!

bury

They were both dead before the police ever got there. This was back in the days before EMTs or Paramedics. Police would come to the site of an emergency with a station wagon with a stretcher in the back. When the police got there the School Principle had gotten there and was crying over their bodies. This was the first time I had ever seen a dead person and I saw two!!! It would not be the last time I would see this kind of violence and death.

Livedog2

Livedog2

Dfd

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engine 53 Ladder 25 at Greenfield and Fenkel.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1432
Posted From: 12.64.48.184
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladder 3, Montcalm and Park

DFD Ladder 3 1884

Looking at another map this is labeled as Ladder 8, but I think it was a typo, 3 & 8 look similar on some of this old stuff.

Dfd

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, do you have an old map of Engine 53 at Greenfield at Fenkel?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1435
Posted From: 63.157.236.37
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd, it might or might not be in the maps that I'm looking at. I've only found about half of the 19th century firehouses, the rest are not mapped. Right now, I'm trying to go through these things systematically, otherwise I'll get hopelessly lost cross-referencing sources.

Engine 2, Larned and St Antoine, est 1861

DFD Engine 2 1884

Livedog2

Post Number: 975
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, is there a way I can cross reference something to find out the name of that "Hebrew Church" that I assume is a synagogue. Or, is the name of it whatever it is that is printed under the words “Hebrew Church” on the map?

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1436
Posted From: 63.157.236.37
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted a map of it in Jews in Detroit thread in the HOF section awhile back. All I know about it is what is in that thread.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/69744.html?11533986 16

Dfd

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was looking at Google Earth and it looks like Engine 2s building is still there.

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 68.43.29.171
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitTeacher,

You were ALLOWED to date DFDers? Guess it WAS a lot stricter in my day because Dad wouldn't have tolerated that - he knew them too well and knew what a randy bunch they could be. <g>

A couple of Dad's old helmets (including one with the crap beaten out of it) are ornaments in his den. Others already belong to my brother who has his own trophy helmets.

So, Teacher and Jan, do you have any of your Dads' old uniform buttons? I treasure one with the crossed bugles and one of my sisters made a DFD and a bugle one in to magnets that I use in my office.

(Message edited by mtm on August 18, 2006)

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 439
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm: I DID date brats but dad didn't like it too much. They were such nice guys too! I argued the point by saying I was a brat, too, so the stereotype dad had of brats must apply to me. He relented.

Dad still has his buttons and badges (and his dress blues). I have some of his sheets (don't ask me why!). Dad now has two grandsons so all that stuff should go to them. My son does have his last helmet. There is just so much stuff from the FD to go through but we really don't want to do that until dad doesn't want or need it anymore. I do have some t-shirts (a few from 2nd Battalion when he was Chief 2). I have a few vintage Devil's Night shirts (that I am now seeing creep up on Ebay).

It's just amazing. Mtm, I did send you an email as you requested. Glad to see some more brats out there still in this area. Maybe we should have a reunion or barge in on a Field Day and set up a tent!!

(Message edited by detroitteacher on August 18, 2006)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEHE...the firemen are mentioning Dyes and our thread on the detroitfirefighter.net website. here's the link (they mention we brats specifically)
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/ tool/post/jlrandall/vpost?id=1 316714&pid=12385886#post123858 86

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 141.161.67.67
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mtm,

No, I don't have any of my dad's buttons. He still has all of his stuff, including a plaque that was given to him at retirement.

jan

Livedog2

Post Number: 983
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do children of Firemen refer to themselves as "brats"? It's the same term that career military children also call themselves. I guess this question is as much rhetorical as literal. In this current climate of pc I would have thought someone would have jumped up and hollered about being referred to with a derogatory word and then everyone would have cowered away from using it!

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1439
Posted From: 63.157.67.22
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engine 4, 18th between W Lafayette and Howard, est. 1895, closed 1976

DFD Engine 4 1884

The Witney Organ Works on corner of 18th and Howard.

Jan
Username: Jan

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 141.161.67.67
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2,

Don't know about the "brat" term. In fact, I never heard it before I started reading this thread. I didn't know I was one.

jan

Dfd

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 216.68.225.2
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The threads sound like they're proud to be FD brats. It's like they have a special bond.

Mtm

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn proud to be a DFDbrat! I think we borrowed the term from military brats but I, personally, wear it with prideand utmost esteem for the man who made me a brat.

Until this discussion thread, I didn't realize how much we had in common - the one ring good night call, the comfort of smelling smokey clothes when Dad got home safe, feeling part of a family with other DFD families, ALL of us sorrowing when a firefighter died. I feel like I've made some friends who know where i came from.

Okay, Teach and Jan and any other Brats out there, memories from '67 riot? My Dad got called up on Sunday when he was laying down for a nap after early dinner. He only came home once during the duration and, to celebrate, Mom made the great Polish treat, chop suey. During the entire time, I remember watching Ken Thomas on Channel 7 for updates and the whirr of National Guard helicopters flying overhead.

Dfd

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay all you brats, tell us the years your fathers were on the job! If you know which companies, put that down too.

Dfd

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Bvos,
I agree, detroitfirefighters.net is a great source of information. I'm not the webmaster, just a poster (box1352).

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 442
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was only a month old during the 67 riots but dad was there, the whole time.

Dad was on duty from 1965-2003. During that time he was at many houses but his fav was always Ladder 4 at Vinwood and the Blvd.

Will write more later, helping another brat redo her basement. I also wear the term brat with pride. It was jsut something I always heard (our non DFD neighbors referred to us as the firebrats and I guess it just stuck).

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd, you would know that the FF call us firebrats...they even say it on the dff.net site.

Dfd

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an honorable title indeed! Some of the firefighters at dff.net are probably firebrats themselves..........Hey, how about navy blue t shirts that say (for example)
DFD
Ladder 4 brat

Dfd

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitfiremensfund .com/SundriesCatalog.htm#Tshir ts

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1441
Posted From: 65.140.157.78
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engine 6, Russell and High St (Vernor), est 1868, moved to Russell and Wilkens 1956

DFD Engine 6 1884

Dfd, I do have that firehouse map on Fenkell, 53/25 that you asked about, just not sure how I'm going to go about posting them yet, probably in order.

Dfd

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker,
No problem. I'm enjoying looking at all of them.I've been checking them on Google Earth to see what's there now. Fascinating stuff!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the t-shirt idea. Was thinking something along those lines for the reunion :-) Hopefully, they will have a Field Day next year. I know they haven't always had them in recent years and they did this year but we missed it.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog: I guess since our fathers and everyone else we knew called us Firebrats, we don't mind and actually refer to ourselves as Firebrats. At least the crowd I grew up with always did. Not derogatory to me :-) BTW, we DO have a special bond...unlike no other kids. No one else could relate to our way of living. Dad gone for 24 hours, the fear we had everyday that we might not see him again...all that stuff. Cops kids might be able to relate but the Fire Dept is a unique family. Always thought I'd end up marrying a Fireman because that is the life I know and very few women can deal with it and handle that lifestyle the way a brat knows how. Plus, firemen are HOT!

Dfd

Post Number: 84
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engine 23

23s

Mtm

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the greatest blue t-shirts I have is from when my older brother played softball for the DFD team. I think he was eight and I was about five at the time so it's not quite an antique. Wouldnt even try to get in to it anymore but wouldn't give it up for anything!

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1447
Posted From: 12.64.90.58
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD Engine 8 1884

Engine 8, est 1873, 6th and Bagley (Baker), moved to 1625 W Lafayette, closed 1982.

Dfd, you posted on the wrong page.

Looking at the 20th century maps, a lot of them have details of equipment and manning of each house.

Dfd

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, August 19, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Dfd, you posted on the wrong page"
Sorry, I'm new at this page thing.
It looks like the firehouse (building) at 6th and Bagley is still there.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1450
Posted From: 63.157.68.179
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD Engine 9 1884

Engine 9, est 1880, E Larned & Riopelle, moved to 3737 E Lafayette & Mt Elliott

Dfd

Post Number: 88
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any of our Firebrats have any stories about your dad (or stories your dad told you)? We'd like to hear from you.
Was Zug Island a busy place for the DFD?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 450
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just don't even know where to start with the stories. Mostly, if it was a bad fire with fatalities dad kept quiet about it. I do know that he was sick for weeks (vomiting) because he had to pull some kids out of a fire and they were pretty badly burned. He didn't like to see kids trapped in a fire.

He also told me horror stories about people being trapped in their homes deep in flames because of security bars on the windows. Firefighters couldn't get in and the people couldn't get out. Horrible.

Also were stories about fire hydrants not working, aparatus malfunction and the horrors or when the Dept. began to use computers (dad just is NOT computer literate so he unplugged them and called HQ and told them the computers were broken!!). He also told stories about how the guys would rig the alarm because if they were away from it, they couldn't hear it so they'd put cans and such on the paper so if the paper in the printer started moving the cans would topple to the floor and let them know something was coming in. I thought that was hilarious. Firemen can be so ingenious.

There were plenty of great times, too. Dad loved to tell stories about how the guys would play tricks on him (like throwing all his clothes out on the roof when he was asleep or showering and he had to crawl out there and get them in his underwear!!). Dad is a big jokester so it never bothered him and he took it all in good humor.

I also remember a few stories about fires in the home (OK, so I was learning to cook at the time and wasn't paying attention). One time my grease was on fire on the stove. Dad saw the smoke billowing out from the side door. He ran in, grabbed the pan and threw it out the door smack into the neighbors house (it eventually went out and no real damage except my ego and tons of smoke damage to the kitchen)! We STILL raz him about that one (and he still blames me)!!

I just have so many stories and I could write a book...

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2742
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1921 Fire Boat Hydrant Lines

A map of the "fire boat lines" existing in the early 1920s. At each point along the river, a fire boat could connect to a shoreside hydrant and pump water through these lines to special high-pressure triple hydrants located throughout the CBD. I don't have any detailed maps from later in the decade, but I am assuming that the High Pressure Pumping Station was built to replace or supplement this function of the fire boats, and that the network of lines was expanded until either truck-mounted pumping technology improved, or the city's water supply pressure was increased enough to relieve the need for the special pumping station.

Farther to the west, short lines ran from the river up Clark and Junction, and to the east lines ran up from the foot of DuBois, Jos Campau, and Lieb, and along Wight from Adair to Iron.

Dfd

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,
Those were great. I guess there were all too many memories of the victims over the years. The kids are the hardest.
But the pranks must have been a nice (probably neccessary) escape!
Was he mostly at Ladder 4?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 451
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad started at Ladder 22 (McGraw), then 55? (Joy n Southfield) and was at Ladder 4 frequently. He was Chief 2 (I think he was Chief 7 for a few, too). He was at so many houses it's hard for me to keep them all straight...I'd have to go back and really think about it. He was at the house on McGraw forever in the beginning (this is the house from my childhood). It's hard for me to keep all the numbers straight! Dad always referred to his houses by street name (I'll be at McGraw today, or I'm at Vinewood and the Blvd).

I used to stop and visit him at Joy and Southfield on my way home from work (within the last 10 years). He always ate at Ladder 4 though (when he became Chief)...the best cook on the dept, he said (and he was right, that guy could whip up some great food...as most FF can, although they cook for a small army)!

(Message edited by detroitteacher on August 21, 2006)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1452
Posted From: 63.157.64.108
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the Belle Isle Fire Dept, located in the stables on Loiter Way, behind the Conservatory (where I studied music), from the 1915 Sanborn map

Belle Isle Fire Dept 1915

6 men, Webb auto engine & hose wagon, 500 gpm, 1000' 2 1/2" hose, no fire alarm system on island - 18' (ladder?)

I can't find squat about this, if anyone knows anything about it, please post anything about it.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 452
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We always knew when he had fires with kids. He would come home and dote on us. He cried many times. Nightmares still wake him up some nights. The worst story ever told (I was eavesdropping) was when FF went into a house (a drug house) and there, amongst the charred wood was a small child. The kid had been chained to a post in the home with a metal collar around his neck. The kid was running drugs from the door to the inside of the house. The mom traded him for a fix and when she sobered up and went back to get her kid, they said no. She told the dealers she was going to the cops. They set the house on fire with the kid still chained to the pole. His body was charred beyond recognition. The FFs had to get that kid unhooked from the pole.

I still tear up at that story. The general public really don't get to see what happens to these guys after a horrific fire with fatalities.

The pranks were a very creative outlet for all of that "head game" stuff they dealt with. Dad said that some fires played with your mind and some were impossible to let go.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 453
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
6 men, Webb auto engine & hose wagon, 500 gpm, 1000' 2 1/2" hose, no fire alarm system on island - 18' (ladder?)

What do you want to know...? About the Belle Isle fire dept or just the equipment?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1454
Posted From: 63.157.64.108
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened to it, the history of it, photos, etc...

Pretty much everything. I can't find anything on the internet.

I'd also like anything on the DFD band. I played a few ceremonies with them back in the 80s and would like to find some photos, or background on it.

Mikem

Post Number: 2743
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD Band

"On March 7, 1969, the Salvation Army Emergency Canteen and the Department Band joined city and department officials at the groundbreaking for the new station of Engine 7 and Ladder 6. The new quarters at Mt. Elliott and E. Lafayette was completed and dedicated on October 8, 1970 and cost $450,000. At the groundbreaking, Mayor Jerome P. Cavanagh and Executive Chief Charles J. Quinlan were in attendance."

Mikem

Post Number: 2744
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the "Detroit Fire Historical Record" published in 1977:

quote:

The Detroit Fire Department Band was organized on April 17, 1920. The idea that this Department should have a band that was truly representative of the personnel of the Department was born in the minds of three men: Captain Anthony Delesie, Glenn Middledatch and Otto Klatt, then members of Rescue No. 1. Captain Delesie wrote the Fire Commission for permission to organize the band, which was immediately granted. The task was really a great one as the number of men in the department that had musical talent was small and men were induced to purchase an instrument and study it. That they had succeeded is beyond question.

In 1926, with a membership of 44 men, the band gave radio concerts for three years on station WJR, which was highly appreciated, as thousands of letters from radio fans all over the country will attest. One of the many honors the band received was in 1926 when it was selected by the City to escort Lt. Commander John Phillip Sousa from the M.C.R.R. depot to Orchestra Hall. Commander Sousa highly praised the band on its fine appearance and playing ability.

It is not known who directed the band until 1946 when Walter Handlik became the first civilian to direct the band. He directed the band until his death in 1958. Incidently, his son James Handlik is presently a Lieutenant on the Fire Department.

The band was then placed under the directorship of retired FEO Leonard Shawpeter until 1961.

The band then looked to the Windsor Fire Dept and Capt. Phillip Murphy was given the job of directing the band.

Because of ill health Mr. Murphy retired from directing the band and passed the directorship on to Captain Alex Meldrum of the Fire Department and is presently still directing the band.

The Chief of Department appoints a band manager to be responsible for all band affairs. Some of the men who held this job thru the years have been Chief Erickson, Chief Edmund DeCaussin, Chief Paul Karabes, Chief Raymond Hoffman, Chief Frank Van Turnout, Chief Robert Engel, and its present manager Chief Edward Tujaka.

The band plays at civic affairs, parades, memorial day services, gives concerts during fire prevention week, plays at all field days, and the sad duty of playing at funerals of members who die in the line of duty. Also, members of the band have volunteered their time since 1963 to assist the Police Dept. band for policemen’s funerals. They also play concerts, at veterans hospital, and old folks homes.

In 1958 under the leadership of Robert Engel, a combo was formed to play for dancing at mixed retirement parties. Until his retirement in 1974 Bob Engel and his Five Alarms played for over 150 retirement parties. The combo is still playing although down to three men from this department and an accordian player who is a fireman in the Warren Fire Department.

In 1964 a German Band was formed under the leadership of FEO Andrew Custage, which played at stag retirement parties and civic affairs which warranted a
small group.

In 1964, Lt. Joseph Krolik took over the leadership and also changed the groups name to the Red Shirt Band. It still plays at civic affairs, stag retirement parties and plays under the stands at our field day.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 455
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only thing I know about the Belle Isle Fire Dept is that it was housed in the old riding stables (they had horse drawn fire engines back then). Greenfield Village came in and dismantled it and have plans on rebuilding/restoring it at the Village (the city was going to tear it down and destroy it and the Village stepped up and offered to preserve it). I believe the Village did this in 2003 or thereabouts. I do know that it caught ire at some point and was almost totally destroyed. The Village will do an awesome job of recreating this great building. I'll try my contacts at the Village and see if they have any paperwork or history on the building.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1457
Posted From: 12.64.78.18
Posted on Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks MikeM, and also for the drudgery of the high pressure system mapping. BZ

Here are the boys of Rescue 1 posing in their brand new Packard Rescue Unit around 1920-22.

DFD Rescue 1 Packard 1920s

I forgot to note that there is an interesting artifact "ghosting" above the front end of the rescue unit image, on the adjacent brick wall, showing the bell, and the spare and left front tire.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on August 21, 2006)

Mikem

Post Number: 2745
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So a large fire erupts in a congested part of the city and a mass of trucks and hoses block the streets. It was easy enough to route autos around the affected area, but what about mass transportation?

No problem! Just bring your hose jumpers. DSR personnel would soon arrive and assemble fire hose jumpers which enabled the street cars to continue on their tracks without slicing open hoses or having to be rerouted on already congested routes.

DSR Hose Jumpers

Mtm

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 134.67.6.11
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Engel and the Five Alarms disbanded AGES ago. Other than one former member, not sure if the others are still around. They were once dressed as a Dixie-land band to appear in a Chrysler portfolio in the 60's.

The DFD Band had rehearsals at the HQ auditorium every Thursday if I remember correctly. Mr. Murphy didn't seem too thrilled when bandmembers brought kids along but, on the couple of times Dad took us, it was great listening to the band rehearse (and running around the auditorium). The Field Day was one of the BEST occasions to hear them blasting out the Sousa.

Most memorable, though, were the funerals and memorials where they would have one trumpeter near the grave and a second a bit away. The second horn was a few notes behind giving the effect of taps echoing through the cemetary. Even thinking of that from all the funerals still gets to me.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 457
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD and DPD still have a Pipe and Drum Corps. They are based out of Royal Oak. I have the info(number and such) if anyone wants it. One of dad's requests for his funeral is that he have bagpipes playing at the cemetery. I believe they still do the horns playing taps in echo but it needs to be requested from the family now.

OK, happier topic on this thread!

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1460
Posted From: 12.64.90.226
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all of the DFD Band info, a friend of mine played in it since he was a rookie in 1967. Fun year to start at the Eastern Market firehouse.

DFD Engine 11 1884

Engine 11, Gratiot and Grandy, est 1884, closed 1975. The drawing shows a 90'tall watch tower on the front of it. Built in 1883, I think this is the oldest surviving firehouse. Confirm?

Mikem

Post Number: 2754
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is.

Dfd

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mentioned this thread on Cincinnati Fire Dept History website. I waiting to see if there are firebrats at CFD.
http://cfdhistory.proboards1.c om/index.cgi?board=general

Mikem, how many fire boats did Detroit have in 1920?

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1463
Posted From: 12.64.90.226
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two fire-boats: the James Battle, and the James R. Elliot. Maps and aerial photos coming soon, after the last 19th century firehouse map.

Mikem

Post Number: 2755
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two boats from 1903 - 1940:

Detroiter, 1893-1902, foot of Fifth Street
James Battle, 1901-1940, foot of Fifth Street*
James R. Elliott, 1903-1930, foot of McDougall
John Kendall, 1930-1976, foot of 24th Street
Curtis Randolph, ? - Present, foot of 24th Street
* When the Kendall joined the fleet the Battle was moved to the foot of McDougall.

(Message edited by MikeM on August 21, 2006)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was in charge of the Randolph on his shifts, although I can't remember which years. Must have been in the early 90s. I remember my son getting in trouble in school once because of that boat. They were on a field trip downtown (can't remember where they were going) and they saw the fireboat. My son piped up with "that's my grandpa's boat" (he was very young). The teacher called him a liar to his face. My dad was hopping mad at this teacher (as was I). She had to apologize to my son (in front of the class) when my dad went in to the class, in full dress uniform, and explained that, yes, that was his boat when he was on duty. My dad then got suckered into staying for the morning part of the class and doing a show and tell about fireboats (he had taken in pictures of my son on the Randolph and some action shots of the boat). He also got suckered into, later, giving the kids a tour of the boat and a ride complete with hoses going (my son got to show of his grandpa and was the only child allowed to steer the boat). My son was beaming with pride. I think the teacher came out ahead but my son has never forgotten that incident (nor has my dad).

Just a cute and funny story. Not so funny at the time trying to console a young child for being admonished for telling the truth. We had always taken my son down to the boat and and said we were going to grandpa's boat. That teacher never questioned my son again about his interesting tales about our family (and there were some pretty ouitlandish tales, all truth).

Dfd

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet the look on the teacher's face was priceless.

Dfd

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

18s at shift change.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
I bet the look on the teacher's face was priceless.

My dad gave her a good "what for". He said she was mortified. Dad can be pretty intimidating when he wants to be, especially in his dress uniform!

Dfd

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweet

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1465
Posted From: 12.64.24.114
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last of the 19th century firehouse maps.

Engine 15, Hubbard near W Fort St, est 1888, closed 1940.

DFD Engine 15 1889

A couple of cigar makers on Fort St, and a market garden in the upper left corner.

Mtm

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:
"Dad can be pretty intimidating when he wants to be, especially in his dress uniform!"

Another commonality! Dad has a silly sense of humor like I imagine many FFs have because of what they deal with. But, when he wants, he can back almost anybody down, especially when he was in uniform. Luckily, my brother, in particular, and I learned (or inherited) those traits from Dad.

Mtm

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure most of you have already heard this poem. I don't know who wrote it but I recited it in an English class in the '70s. (Okay, the nun teaching the class was another DFDbrat but it wasn't exactly like I was sucking up.)

What Is A Fireman?

He’s the guy next door - a man’s man with the memory of a little boy.
He has never gotten over the excitement of engines and sirens and danger.
He’s a guy like you and me with warts and worries and unfulfilled dreams.
Yet he stands taller than most of us. He’s a fireman. He puts it all on the line when the bell rings.
A fireman is at once the most fortunate and the least fortunate of men.
He’s a man who saves lives because he has seen too much death.
He’s a gentle man because he has seen the awesome
power of violence out of control.
He’s responsive to a child’s laughter because his arms have held
too many small bodies that will never laugh again.
He’s a man who appreciates the simple pleasures of life -
hot coffee held in numb, unbending fingers - a warm bed for bone
and muscle compelled beyond feeling - the camaraderie of brave men -
the divine peace and selfless service of a job well done in the name of all men.
He doesn’t wear buttons or wave flags or shout obscenities.
When he marches, it is to honor a fallen comrade.
He doesn’t preach the brotherhood of man.
He lives it.

This, too, still gets to me after all the years. The gender could be updated but the sentiment is SO true.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 478
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad, too, has one of the most silly sense of humor. He finds the smallest things funny and can irritate almost anyone with his sarcasm. I also inherited those fine traits from my dad.

I also recited that poem (from memory) for my speech class in high school (I think all firebrats, at one point, used the whole fire fighters kid thing to their advantage). Although my teacher wasn't a firebrat, it still brought tears to her eyes. I got an A.

I just love this thread! I think I need DYes-Anon.

Mtm

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The line in the poem: "the simple pleasures of life - hot coffee held in numb, unbending fingers." made me think of the Salvation Army "wagons" that used to take hot coffee and canvas gloves to companies fighting bad fires in winter. Dad would NEVER pass a Salvation Army bucket without dropping a buck because of that and I follow his example.

Dfd

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker, thanks for the 19th century maps.

Dfd

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're famous! Go to google.com and search:
Detroit Fire Dept firebrats

Dfd

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an update about this year's field day.

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/ tool/post/jlrandall/vpost?id=1 316714

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1466
Posted From: 63.157.75.227
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only could find one old photo of the DFD Field Day at WSU Virtual Motor City.

1938 DFD Field Day

Captioned:
Field Day; 1938 showing William H. Chapman, oldest living fireman in Detroit

Livedog2

Post Number: 987
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Fire Department 1908 Ahrens of Cincinnati, Ohio
dfd

dfd2

dfd3

dfd4

Livedog2

Dfd

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livedog2, where is that museum ?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 489
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember when the Field Days were held at Camp Dearborn.

I did google us and we are famous! First link and all! Now we'll really think we brats are special! :-)

Livedog2

Post Number: 988
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the Michigan Firehouse Museum located in Ypsilanti, Michigan at 110 W. Cross Street.

fire

Here's a url:
http://groups.msn.com/YpsilantiFireMuseum/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

I was just there this last Sunday for the Ypsilanti Heritage Festival. It's a great Firehouse Museum! The main part of the museum is to the right in the photo but it leads you out through the left of the photo through the "old" Fire House. I think any Fire Department aficionado would enjoy this great museum and there are some really good books on the all things "fire"!

There's a lot of Detroit Fire Department history and historical stuff there. Thank G-d someone got the things from Detroit that can do something to insure they are around for future generations to see, enjoy and appreciate. It's sad that Detroit can't do it but that's the way it is in Detroit these days.

Livedog2

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, back in the day, that the individual houses kept important things/momentos for that house. Usually it was on display in the Captain's quarters (kind of like on the movie Ladder 49).

Speaking of that movie, man did I cry my eyes out. I mean I sobbed.

I was at that museum way back when it was just tiny. Glad to see they've expanded! I'll have to take dad there.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1292
Posted From: 68.73.202.154
Posted on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engine 57 in Brightmoor... Burt & Schoolcraft. I notice this firehouse is pretty much identical to the Engine 48, 49 and 56 firehouses that Mikem posted earlier.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1474
Posted From: 63.157.236.210
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found a few 19th century photos and drawings at WSU/VMC that I'll get out of the way. None of these are reliably identified, so I'll take a guess.

This is probably is the first Number 1, with fire watchtower.

DFD first Firehouse ?

This drawing might be Number 2 on E Larned and Bates.

DFD first Firehouse 2?

This is most probably the first Firehouse 3

DFD first Firehouse 3?
wsu/vmc

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on August 23, 2006)

Mtm

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite memories from when Dad was on the DFD was, when there was fire anywhere in the area, my brother and I would bug Dad to take us to watch. It was always a great thrill to see the firefighters greet Dad so enthusiastically. Dad would also explain the finer points of fire fighting: where to run the lines, where the flames would jump next, how best to vent it to get to the heart of the fire. It was a wonderful education. Life lesson too - get to the heart of the problem to solve it instead of scattering your efforts around it (like the way Hamtramck used to fight fires by standing outside just hosing randomly.)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 494
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm: We used to bug dad to chase firetrucks, too! He did. It was always great because we got to sit in the truck with a birdseye view of things. We would also get the Firefighting crash course. Amazing how firebrats lives are so much alike!!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 291
Posted From: 71.65.11.152
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to "ugly up" your thread, but I thought just maybe, with all the nostalgia. I ran across this on craigslist. Feel free to ask me to delete this.

1962 gmc pumper firetruck make offer
http://detroit.craigslist.org/ car/194959323.html

Livedog2

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the last run of a horse drawn Fire Engine/Truck in the City of Detroit. I think it was in 1937 and huge crowds showed up for the final milestone.
fire

This is a DFD Truck used to carry Fire Fighters to their final resting place. It is still around but it needs money and help to restore it. You can get information from the Michigan Fire House Museum:
http://www.michiganfirehousemuseum.org/
fire2

Livedog2

Mikem

Post Number: 2758
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ceremonial last run of the horses down Woodward was April 10, 1922.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 495
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thnk: You didn't "ugly up" the thread, at least IMO. I'd rather see a fire enthusiast get the truck and restore it than to see if "junked".

The Restore the Pumper is a fitting tribute to fallen Firefighters. You can find out about this pumper on www.detroitfirefighters.net in addition to the link above. It's on the discussion board. As morbid as this sounds, if this pumper is ready when my dad's time comes we plan to utilize it (even though he wouldn't have fallen in the line of duty, we are hoping that the Fireman's Fund would allow retiree's families to utlize this fitting last ride, for a donation).

Here's info on the fire horses of Detroit:

Detroit Fire Dept. horses dash into history

The Detroit Fire Department acquired the first motorized fire engine in the world, a Packard. Objections by firefighters and Detroiters over the replacement of their beloved horses continued for years. The horse, it was argued, was much more reliable. Motorized vehicles started with difficulty and broke down frequently.

The firemen joked about the ridiculous purchase, nicknaming it the "Hustle Buggy."

Over the years, some 500 horses served the Detroit Fire Department, with an average working life of four or five years. Pounding hard city pavement at high speeds took a heavy toll on the animals. Always, after dousing a blaze, the firefighters cared first for their hard-working horses.

Inevitably, the reign of the horse ended as engineering improved on automobiles.

On April 10, 1922, more than 50,000 people gathered to witness the historic last run by Detroit Fire Department horses. The last five -- Peter, Jim, Tom, Babe and Rusty -- dashed down Woodward Avenue on a symbolic final emergency as a fake alarm sounded at the National Bank Building. Nostalgic spectators lined Woodward from Grand Circus Park to Cadillac Square, cheering while the fire department's band played Auld Lang Syne. Many in the crowd, according to The Detroit News, cried as the horses passed.These last five hooved firefighters retired to an "Equine Elysium" in Rouge Park.

It was the economy and efficency that dictated the change. In Chicago it began in 1917 under the direction of John F. Cullerton, the fire departments business manager. Horses sold for approximately 265.00 and cost an additional 3,621.00 on an average per year to feed and care for. Motorized vehicles cost about 1,000.00 per year to maintain. The savings in fire losses alone were estimated at about one million annually. This was a direct result of the speed and efficiency in responding.

But, just as in Detroit, progress was relentless throughout the United States. In April of 1921, the Chicago Fire Department still had 350 horse drawn fire apparatus. Committees were sent to other cities to see how the motorized engines and equipment were working. When they returned, they were ecstatic. The manager, Cullerton, rattled off figures to demonstrate how the gas guzzling engines would serve the city better than the horse drawn carts.

Not everyone supported this change. One of the drivers, Willaim Moir from Engine Company 105 wept as his horses were retired from service in 1922. "I never abused you, but I made you get over the ground," he told them as they were led away. "I feel like I've lost my best friends." Moir was twice decorated for saving lives in the line of duty. He joined the department because of his love of horses. He announced that he would quit the day his two "black beauties" were sent out to the pasture.

Still, tales of smart horses abounded. Babe at Engine Company # 106 was said to have stolen tobacco from firemens pockets and oats from the feed box by learning to pick the lock with his teeth. One of the horses actually led a lost driver not only to the fire, but also to the closets hydrant, this with the help of the Dalmatian.

But on that historic day in February 6th., 1923, Chicago's Mayor Bill Thompson joined other dignitaries, the Chicago Fire Department's band, Fire Chiefs, firemen and their families, as well as thousands of spectators to watch the horses respond to their last fire bell. Buck, Beauty, Dan and Teddy answered their false alarm as if it were the real thing. They never returned to the station...

Buck and Beauty were sold to a country pastor. The fates of Teddy and Dan were not documented. However, seven months later, an ex-fire horse named Ted was hit by a speeding auto while pulling a milk wagon. The accident took place at 47th Street and Michigan Avenue. None of the drivers were hurt, just Ted.

Thrown to the ground with his leg and hip broken, Ted lay still as peolpe gathered and a police patrol car sped to the scene. As the police unit approached with its bell clanging, Ted, conditioned to respond to the bell, pulled himself off the ground. He rose to three legs, plunged ahead a few feet and collapsed.

A vetrinarian, with tears in his eyes, ended Ted's misery with a bullet.

That was his last alarm...

Taken from http://www.publicsafety.net/da lmatian.htm

There was a list of fire horses in Detroit out there somewhere. Am looking for that now and will post it if I find it again.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 496
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an interesting tidbit of info:

The first motorized fire Engine in the World was a Packard in the city of Detroit.
I've also found out that an ex-Detroit Fire Department 1911 Packard Squad # 2 is
being restored in Ohio.

http://marquettecountyfirefigh ters.net/DFD.htm

They also have some interesting info and pics of DFD.

Livedog2

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nate S. Shapero & C. Hayward Murphy
fire horse
WSU/VMC

Livedog2

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 498
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We aren't done with this thread yet but I think it needs to be in the hall of fame threads. Not one doggone argument or bad word,! Wonderful pics, links, and memories abound on this one.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1476
Posted From: 63.157.65.169
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is slated for the HOF, Teach, if it ever ends, and looking at the amount of photos and data that could be posted, that's a big if.

Dog, that photo is on page one, but I neglected to mention the names, thanks for correcting my oversight.

I took the liberty of tweaking the pic of the Seagraves enclosed pumper from the site that was posted. Used a colored spotlight effect.

DFD 1937 Seagraves enlcosed pumper

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 499
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says on dff.net that the rig will be available for the final ride of those FF killed in the line of duty.
Here are some links to the info I found:
Dff.net message board
http://www.websitetoolbox.com/ tool/post/jlrandall/vpost?id=1 315839

The Firefighter Museum has this on the restoration project (link at the bottom of their home page and at the end of this blurb) They are having an open house for the rig on August 30...info on the link.
How Do We Fix It? To Help!
We want to prevent the practice from disappearing. We want the final ride to be honorable. To make this project a reality we need your support to "Restore the Pumper". This rig will be available at no cost for all fire fighting line of duty deaths across the state of Michigan.
http://www.michiganfirehousemu seum.org/project.htm

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 500
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I apologize...

Quote: It is slated for the HOF, Teach, if it ever ends, and looking at the amount of photos and data that could be posted, that's a big if.

Here I thought you meant the RIG was slated for the HOF!! That is why I posted info on using the rig. Oh wqell decent info anyway. I really do need to get back to work! Either that or stop being out in the sun all day doing yardwork...my brain is disfunctional at the moment :-)

Livedog2

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, Hornwrecker! I must have forgotten it was on page 1. The pic of the Seagraves is awesome, Hornwrecker!! That photo must be when it was new. Do you know what year it is?

Livedog2

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire Company 16

DFD Co 16 Fireboat 1921

Located at the foot of 5th and the river on Michigan Central Railroad land, MCRR freight house just upriver from Firehouse 16

DFD Fireboat Jame Battle 1921

An aerial from 1961 showing the new location of 16 at the foot of 24th St.

DFD #16 1961 aerial

The ship just downriver from 16 is a autocarrier, the loading ramp it that angular white thingee amidships.

More information here:

http://www.detroitfirefighters.net/engine_companies.htm

Photos of James Battle next...

Crap, I typoed the PS on the first map. It should be 16 not 18.

The Seagraves is from 1937, if I remember it.

(Message edited by Hornwrecker on August 23, 2006)

Dfd

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire boat HQ 2003

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 501
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm continually amazed at all the great photos and maps you guys come up with. Dad has jillions of photos but they are the old fashioned hard copy kind.

Great job and thanks for the memories :-)

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

James Battle, 1900 launching in Wyandotte.

DFD James Battle launch

DFD James Battle launch

DFD James Battle launch 1900
LOC/DPC

The James Battle fight Belle Isle Bridge fire.

DFD Jame Battle BIB fire
WSU/VMC

DFD Jame Battle BIB fire

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 502
Posted on Wednesday, August 23, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are great pics of the restoration of the Seagraves! Courtesy of the Fireman's Fund.

http://www.detroitfiremensfund .com/RigPictures.htm

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1482
Posted From: 63.157.67.114
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD Co 16 Fireboat 1921

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1484
Posted From: 63.157.67.114
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fire Company 25

DFD Co 25 1922 Fireboat

Located at the foot of McDougall on the Parke-Davis grounds, est 1901, closed 1940.

DFD Co 25 1922 Fireboat

Firehouse 25 1949 air

The James Battle at Firehouse 25, date unknown.

James Battle at 25

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 506
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, anyone care for some Firefighter trivia??

Here's the first one.

Name the first black firefighter in Detroit and the era in which he served.

Scofield
Username: Scofield

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 7:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firehouse eh?

Hmmmmmm...

I wonder if any of you old farts or young punks will remember this.... :-)

Click here for a Firehouse!

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally located some of my Detroit Fire House photos, so I thought I'd share them with you! Hope you enjoy - gee, I miss the sun :-(

Engine 18-Ladder 10
Engine Co. 18 and Ladder Co 10. Mt Elliot just south of Gratiot. Built 1892. Note the classic opening doors. Photo June 2005.

Engine 27-Ladder 8
Engine Co. 27 and Ladder Co 8. Junction just south of Vernor and Holy Redeemer Church. More photos of this building below. Photos June 2005.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some more :-)

Engine 29
Engine Co. 29. Corner of W Jefferson and Solvay in Delray. This is the one mentioned just up the thread a short ways. Below is another photo, both June 2005.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Engine 37
Engine Co. 37. Central Ave just north of Dix. These photos were taken just before the fire company was removed at the end of June 2005. Today, it remains a home for EMS crews. Word on the street is that if any fire company were to "reopen" (correct terminology?) this would be one since the facility is still maintained, there is just not engine kept there. Who knows if that will ever happen...

Also, here is a final photo of the aerial truck doing a test or drill of some sort in front of their station, on McGraw not too far from Livernois. I forget which company this is.

I drove by Engine 31 on W. Grand Blvd near I-94 today, and it looks to be in good shape. Built 1909. No camera today though, but perhaps another time. Hope you enjoyed!

Busterwmu

Post Number: 341
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some more :-)

Engine Co. 29. Corner of W Jefferson and Solvay in Delray. This is the one mentioned just up the thread a short ways. Below is another photo, both June 2005.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Engine Co. 37. Central Ave just north of Dix. These photos were taken just before the fire company was removed at the end of June 2005. Today, it remains a home for EMS crews. Word on the street is that if any fire company were to "reopen" (correct terminology?) this would be one since the facility is still maintained, there is just not engine kept there. Who knows if that will ever happen...

Also, here is a final photo of the aerial truck doing a test or drill of some sort in front of their station, on McGraw not too far from Livernois. I forget which company this is.

I drove by Engine 31 on W. Grand Blvd near I-94 today, and it looks to be in good shape. Built 1909. No camera today though, but perhaps another time. Hope you enjoyed!

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 600
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Continue to Firehouses 3