Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » 2006-7 Pistons « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 944
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...the new game plan to beat the Pistons? Attack the basket, it will happen nightly until we prove we can stop it.

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/s tories/index.ssf?/base/sports- 1/1154380217191230.xml&coll=1

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i watched the game last night...the pistons defense was non-existant...I have a feeling its going to be a long season..

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 848
Posted on Thursday, November 02, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First game of the regular season doesn't mean that much. They looked rusty (as well they should). I suspect, and kinda hope there is a starting line up change. I think Amir Johnson is going to shine this season.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 552
Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad to see that Flip is going to use the bench more. Guys like Delfino and Maxiell certainly give the team an energy boost with their style of play.

Nazr has also been impressive. He doesn't do a lot of the little things that Ben did, but it's nice to have a center who can finish around the basket, knock down the 10-15 footer, and shoot free throws better than a 10 year old.

I think Rasheed is the X-factor. If he has an all-star caliber year I believe this team will be fine.

Mid 50's win total.

Eastside

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although the Palace has been selling out...there were LOTS of empty seats last week.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 177
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Notice how they don't advertise the sellouts anymore?

This is going to be a grind-out season if the pistons are going to make the playoffs.

Tetsua

Post Number: 909
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a little too early in the season to tell, but I'm not sure if this team has a philosophy. In every game they've played so far their opponents have scored like crazy. They've been trying to simply out score the other team, with no regard to defense.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10890
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the bandwagon emptying out, just 10 games into the season! LMAO

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Ben's game but it's not up to Ben to coach the team. I feel sorry for Scott Skiles when Ben starts brooding when he's on the bench with 2 minutes to play.

Ericdfan

Post Number: 182
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say that I wasn't a fan anymore.

Tetsua

Post Number: 921
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they actually made a better attempt at solid defense for the first time this year. Bobcats socred in the 90s, but it wasn't the usual shooting fest I've been seeing this season.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, November 24, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua--I agree: that 13-3 run in the fourth quarter was fed off of some solid defense, the sort of thing we'd expected to see from the Pistons of the last several seasons.

Tetsua

Post Number: 935
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's so good to see a defensive game, they looked good out there today. Chauncy, and Sheed didn't even have big numbers, and they still managed to go well.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 667
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I thought they looked pretty bad for a good chunk of the game today. I'd go as far as embarrassing or ridiculous in the first quarter.

They played well enough to win, especially at the end, typical Pistons ball.

Tetsua

Post Number: 957
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pistons showed much hustle out there tonight, and against a legitimate team. They looked like their old selves again.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chauncey Billups is the Pistons achilles heel. He single handedly blew tonight's game against the Knicks. When it's clutch time Chauncey chokes. Period.

With the game tied at 122 Chauncey choses to run down the clock and then shoot a three-pointer when all the Pistons needed was two points. Then he fouls Marbury shooting a three-pointer. Marbury shoots three free throws. Then Chauncey fouls a player who makes the shot and then makes the foul shot for a three point play. Then needing two foul shots to give the Pistons a three point lead with 8.9 seconds in the second overtime, Chauncey misses a free throw. The Knicks come down and score a two pointer to send the game into the third overtime. Case closed.

The Pistons will not win another championship as long as Chauncey Billups is on the team. Period.

(Message edited by royce on December 27, 2006)

Focusonthed

Post Number: 731
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, Detroit Sports Overreactor extraordinaire.

I didn't see the game (living in Chicago) but Jesus, give me a break. It's one game. Period.

(Message edited by focusonthed on December 28, 2006)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3475
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce you do sound like a drama queen, Notwithstanding the fact that the Pistons just came off a few substantial streaks since the beginning of the season playboy...

lol

Eastside

Post Number: 989
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I've been saying since jump street, Nazr Mohammed is garbage...he was an impulsive signing. It was all the little things...running the floor/getting back...help-out D, and of course, other big men seemed to have no problem backing him down. Look at his numbers when playing the 20+ minutes he clamors for...zero consistency on all fronts. In my humble opinion, the guy was just lazy and does not seem to possess basketball passion....in other words, a real bad fit.

The move for Webber has all the markings of what has become the classic Joe D maneuver...acquiring a potential big piece of the puzzle for a song.

The joint was packed for a wed. night...with Webber, we have officially entered "work in progress" status...it's never bad to reinvent mid-season after hitting a plateau. Last time that happened was 2003-04.
The big question is the coaching situation.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 219
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nazr Mohammed ...was an impulsive signing

"Impulsive"? Was there a better free agent center still available?

Eastside

Post Number: 990
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go figure, Nazr had already lost his starting job prior to the Webber situation. Now let's see how long it takes Joe to dump him and his 5 year contract...just months after signed.
You can call that whatever you want.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Responding to an exigency is not the same thing as acting on impulse; e.g., giving Tayshaun minutes at the point while Chauncey was hurt was not "impulsive."

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 165
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even when reports of the Pistons signing Nazr Mohammed came out I didn't like it. Sometimes no move is the best move.

A lot of free agents benefit from timing like Nazr did. The free agent market for centers included Ben Wallace and........ right, no one else. Would the Pistons be any worse if they had just worked with what they had? Dale Davis start with McDyess and Maxiel off the bench...

Also Amir Johnson, do the Pistons really plan on using the kid? It's gotta suck to be "developing" on the bench for years like Darko did...

Eastside

Post Number: 991
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pistons responded to an exigency in an impulsive manner. They felt they needed a center, but to lock down the position for 5 years to an unproven guy...was impulsive.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4302
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that amount seems like an extremely rich and long contract for a player of Mohammed's caliber. Maybe they had to offer a five year in order to get him here though. Who knows.

I also hope that the Saunders/ Sheed squabbles get settled and soon but I think that's something that Joe Dumars will have to take care of. I think Joe will pull both parties into his office and have them talk things out, man hug and go out and play some great basketball again.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought I'd throw out there that Darko's averaging 23 minutes, 8 points, 6 boards and nearly 2 blocks per game with Orlando. Given what a bite in the ass we took with the Nazr and Flip Murray experiment, do you think parting with him was still in the team's long term interest?

Tetsua

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell yes,

Flip Murray is a solid bench player. The Nazr deal might have been over hasty, but I'll be damned if I contemplate Darko still being here.

(Message edited by tetsua on February 04, 2007)

Ohudson

Post Number: 179
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone catch that "Deeetroit Turn Oveerrrr" by the Cleveland PA?

Tetsua

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I caught it, that shit was lame. I guess it was all they could hold on to seeing as Clevland didn't perform all that well today.

Ohudson

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish Sheed would have grabbed the mic and said, "That's GAAAAAMMMMEEEE!!!" "The Ball Don't Lie!"

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 71
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm certainly no Cavs fan, but come on. "Deeetroit Turn Oveerrrr?" That was some funny shit. I've been chuckling about it all night.

And yeah, immediate suspension notwithstanding, "Ball Don't Lie!" would have been the undisputed high point of the season for the NBA as a whole.

Ohudson

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually laughed at it too Rugbyman, the, "oh no he didn't just do that" kind of laugh. It was so loud and clear I was caught off guard. What would have been really funny is if the fans would have participated with the chant.. :-)

Rjk

Post Number: 601
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The timing of it was terrible. You want to use something like that to rub salt in the wound when you know you're about to win the game, not when you're down by around 10 points with a minute or two left in the game. I thought it was funny also, but only from the standpoint of how ill-timed it was.

Ohudson

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It made the sports page yesterday...

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070205/SPORT S0102/702050343/1127

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1159
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mason is the man!

Wayne Newton is a hack!

(Message edited by chi-taku on February 18, 2007)

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big ben looses in Return to Detroit:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/re cap?gid=2007022508&prov=ap

Joe D's decision to pick up Chris Webber, in my opinion, was an awesome move. He is averaging 13 points a game with 7 rebounds...not monster numbers, but you would not know that by watching him play. He loves to be here and it shows.

Ohudson

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread shows how BORING the Pistons have been this year.

Did anyone see the Shaun "Mr. Glass" Livingston injury?

Ron Artest has been kicked off the Kings for a domestic violence charge (with pay)

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

huh?

Ohudson

Post Number: 209
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just attempting to revive a dying thread about my favorite team/sport...

This season hasn't had much going for it. It's pretty much status quo. Best in the East, not quite as good as the top West teams.. Not good enough for a bandwagon, not bad enough to rip on them.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4731
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there are about a dozen teams all across the entire NBA that would kill to have the Pistons' "status quo".

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would rather have them be "status quo". Detroit Teams always do better when they aren't the best...at least that can be said about the Wings and pistons.

Ohudson

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, I just see that we as Pistons fans are used to this and that is why there hasn't been any discussion or interest in this years team. We've been spoiled.

If this was the Atlanta Hawks, the thread would be like the Tigers thread of last season. Hell, if the Lions were a .600 team it would be a super thread!

Did anyone think that Sheed would last 60 games before he reached 16 technical fouls? If the ones that were recalled would have stood Sheed wouldn't have lasted 50 games.

Also, CWebb is quitely getting 20-10 games lately. I never thought that he would produce like that for the Pistons.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 33
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheed is an emotional player...that stupid "low tolerance" technical foul rule that they emacted this year was made just for sheed...David Stern never wants to see these pistons win another championship.It would hurt his precious ratings too much.

Joe D's decision to pick up Chris Webber, in my opinion, was an awesome move. He is averaging 13 points a game with 7 rebounds...not monster numbers, but you would not know that by watching him play. He loves to be here and it shows.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4741
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't think we need Webber to have monstrous numbers. He doesn't need to do that with this team (unlike the Iverson/ Webber show in Philly). Here he just needs to fit in and be a part of the system. He's just another offensive weapon that the other team has to respect. Is this a direct comparison to Ben Wallace? No- it's just a slightly different Pistons team now that's adapting to the new NBA and their offensive mindset. I think what really makes Webber such a nice component of this team is his passing ability.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he has been average 20 the last 3 games...24 last nite against the sonics...he was named player of the game.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 75
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, you're right. His ability to dish brings a seemingly new element to the team. I expect Webb to ramp it up a little come playoff time. If he does that, Chauncy gets his shot back, T. Prince jams his typical Tayshaun-style playoff style on opponents (anyone remember that game-saving block against the Pacers two years ago?)and if Rasheed can do something, anything, about those goddamn feet of his, Detroit wins the East.

I'm not so worried about Rasheed's technicals, but he needs to get his wheels right.

Detroit vs. who in the finals? Dallas? Phoenix? San Antone?

Focusonthed

Post Number: 876
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's funny is you don't hear ANY talk about Amare Stoudemire having 14 technical fouls, and being second in the league. It's all about Rasheed.

Incidentally, damn, that Phoenix-Dallas game was amazing.

Rjk

Post Number: 651
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Denver with the ball at half court, up by three with 1.5 seconds left and they lose?

Best comeback since Lazarus.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad note - old school Detroit Pistons player Howard Porter (74 - 78) died Saturday May 26, 2007.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070527/SPORTS03/70527020&imw=Y

(Message edited by vetalalumni on May 28, 2007)

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 394
Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a man who'd turned his life around from a bad middle act, this is so sad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.