Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » Who's Your (Obscure Former) Tiger?! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine is Beiker Graterol, but Jim Walewander is a close second.

Beiker

http://www.baseball-reference.com/g/gratebe01.shtml

Career mark:
1 G, 4 IP, 0-1, 15.75 ERA, 7 R, 7 ER, 4 BB, 2 Ks

Thanks for stopping by for a cup. And yes, you can find his name outside CoPa. Hey, he earned his tile on that faithful day back in '99.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4380
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine is & was Vern Ruhle who sadly passed away a few days ago.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/ne ws?slug=ap-obit-ruhle&prov=ap& type=lgns

I remember one of my first Tiger yearbooks I got as a kid and the picture of a menacing Vern Ruhle looked funny to me as a kid. I know he pitched for a little while in Detroit and then moved around but he was one of those obscure faces that just struck me for some odd reason.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Light hitting outfielder" Wayne Comer
http://www.baseball-reference. com/c/comerwa01.shtml
signed my baseball exiting the locker room in 1968, went 1-for-1 in the World Series, then moved on to the expansion Seattle Pilots (along with Ray Oyler) the next year.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milt Cuyler?

Harder is trying to remember the '68 team roster. I try to recite it during sex or if I have to pee really bad, but now I'm sharing too much with you all. ;^)

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/

Enjoy!

James

(Message edited by jrvass on January 25, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 230
Posted on Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some more for you. See if you can remember them. :-)

Don Heinkel
Rick Schu
Edwin Nunez
Keith Moreland
Lance McCullers
Clay Parker
Brian DuBois
Rob Ritchie
Tracy Jones
Mark Salas
Mike Laga
Doug Strange
Scott Lusader
Torey Lovullo
Omar Olivares
Mark Thurmond
Bill Scherrer
Dwight Lowry
Barbaro Garbey
Gene Kingsale
George Lombard

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curtis Pride, the deaf baseball player.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toss up between Steve Boros, Mike Roarke and Chico Fernandez.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4399
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tito Fuentes.

I remember as a kid getting him confused with the famous latin drummer, Tito Puente. He always had some showmanship skills when he showed up at the plate, tap his bat and make it spin in his hands before hitting.

And his shortstop partner, Tom Veryzer (aka, the man at SS before Trammell). He always seem to have this mangy wet hair in all of his photos like he had just been fished out of the Rouge River.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3621
Posted on Saturday, January 27, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never figured out Tito Fuentes. As I recall he was actually the Tigers first ever signed free agent. He hit .309 for the Tigers and then was gone from baseball one year latter.

He was eccentric and wore chains around his neck and was rumored to have some voodoo-like rituals.

Googling him up now I see he has gone to a successful career in broadcasting and is currently part of the Giants Spanish language broadcast team. Looks like he's put on a pound or two, like all of us. He was pretty skinny as a Tiger.
http://giants.mlb.com/NASApp/m lb/team/broadcasters.jsp?c_id= sf

"Tito Fuentes returns to the Giants’ Spanish language broadcast booth for his third straight season. Fuentes previously served as a member of the Spanish language broadcast team from 1981-92, and has since broadcast for FOX Sports International, which is aired in Latin America. An active participant in the Giants’ marketing efforts, he is a regular participant in the Giants Fantasy Camp and Giants Cruise. A former Major League second baseman who played for the Giants from 1965-74, Fuentes also saw big league action with San Diego, Detroit and Oakland. The Havana, Cuba native was a .268 hitter over his 13-year career, and was voted the starting second baseman on the Dream Team for the Giants’ 25th Anniversary team by San Francisco fans in 1982. He and his wife, Elvia, reside in Reno, Nev. "

Good for you Tito!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 574
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, I believe you are correct about Tito being our first-ever free agent signing. I remember being all worked up about the fact that we finally caught up to the rest of the marketplace. The fact that he didn't seem like anybody real special didn't even bother me; it was the fact that we actually signed a free agent. But then, we were rather slow to integrate, too.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 186
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tito Fuentes was a slap hitter. One of his best tricks was to square to bunt and at the last second take this strange looking full swing to pop it over the drawn in infield.
I believe he only signed for one year, and he wasnt offered a new contract despite a +300 batting avg. Sweet Lou was the reason.

Ravine

Post Number: 575
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that's a pretty good reason!

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to Jim Walewander? I remember him being a punk rock fan. I think he came to spring training one year with a mohawk. The Dead Milkmen were a fav of his, or so i read.

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, January 29, 2007 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Gibson -- he had Harry Carey glasses

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 780
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bruce Kimm--I think he only caught when Fidrych was pitching.

Let's throw in Milt May, too!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Gibson. We traded him to the Mets for another obscure former Tiger, Mark Carreon.
What about Wendell Magee? :-)

Smogboy

Post Number: 4416
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that John Wockenfuss had one the greatest names in all of sports. And that moustache, sideburn, muttenchop thing that he called facial hair always made him look like a walrus as well.

I wonder what he's doing now.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4417
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides John Wockenfuss was also the guy we traded to get Willie Hernandez... so maybe he wasn't SO obscure but I really don't ever really recall him playing much other than pinch hitting.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 472
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rawk, how about:Bubba Trammell and HArry Spillman.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Vico, first baseman, '48 and '49. I have a duplicate of his mitt. R.I.P.
Ernie and I once had a nice chat about him and his glove.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes. He could stretch for a throw like no one else could, then or now. Harry Heilmann, then the tiger's announcer, called it the "Vico Splits". Remember, rock?

About that time the Tigers outfield was Hoot Evers, Johnny Groh, and Vic Wertz. Helluva crew.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray Oyler played shortstop from 1965-1968. great glove-no hit.

Eric_w

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray Oyler played shortstop from 1965-1968. great glove-no hit.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Tito Fuentes had a MONSTER year for the Tigers-.309, around 190 hits, 10 triples even a couple of stolen bases to top it all off. At todays market he would have the contract of a lifetime the following year. Ernie called his the "neato-Tito" bunt.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Bill "Maddog" Matlock?
Chris Pittaro?
Darnell Coles? (not to obscure, I know)

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI... MLB.com is selling tapes and CD's of old Tiger broadcasts.

James

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3148
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ron LeFlore

Every kid watched the Ron LeFlore Story in the 70's

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Luis Slazar
Chris Brown
Marty Costillo
Barbaro Garbey
Johnny Grubb
Eric King
Jim Morrison
Billy Bean
Billy Beane
Ivan DeJesus
Gary Pettis
Al Pedrique
Lloyd Moseby
Rusty Meacham
Skeeter Barnes

Oh yes, I said Skeeter Barnes.

Eric_w

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone asked about the 1968 roster. The starting lineup for the 1968 World Series: I remember most of their numbers but not all.
2b Dick McCauliffe # 3
SS Mickey Stanley # 24
RF Al Kaline # 6
1B Norm Cash # 25 *
LF Willie Horton # 23
CF Jim Northrup # 5
C Bill Freehan # 11
3B Don Wert # 8
Reserves:
Ray Oyler # 1 *
Wayne Comer # ?
Jim Price #12
Gates Brown # 26
Tom Matchick # 2
Eddie Matthews *( started game 4 @ 3b) # 7
Dick Tracjewski # 44
pitchers:
Denny McClain # 17
Mickey Lolich # 29
Earl Wilson * # 16 ?
Joe Sparma * # 21
John Hiller
Jon Warden
Elroy Face *
Darryl Patterson
Pat Dobson
Don MacMahon *
Fred Lasher
* deceased

Smogboy

Post Number: 4564
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad to think that so many of the '68 Tigers are no longer with us... especially the like of Norm Cash and Earl Wilson. I still remember them at the tail end of their careers too.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Gullickson, worst 20 game winner ever!

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 310
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uniform numbers for the 1968 roster can be found here: http://www.baseball-almanac.co m/teamstats/roster.php?y=1968& t=DET

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 136
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Dave Bergman...my gf got his autograph a few years back. She was working some place in Troy and in comes Dave for an appointment. I think he was some sort of salesman.

Lance Parrish will be the manager of the Great Lakes Loons in Midland this season. This is their first year there, having moved from Battle Creek. http://www.loons.com

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 604
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lance Parrish is far from obscure. Nor is Bergman, really.

What about Bill "Maddog" Matlock?

Madlock was an All-Star in the National League. Sure, he had only a year or so in Detroit, but he wasn't a nobody.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, April 05, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Earl Torgeson, 1st base

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3780
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lynn Jones -- charter member of the brotherhood of the pine. Great situation player and injury fill-in sub, but couldn't seem to hold up in a regular starting situations. I felt bad that he got traded before the 84 season. A real gentleman too.

Speaking of Curtis Pride, I think the was the reason why all pitchers and catchers cover their mouths with gloves when talking on the mound.

Goirish1966
Username: Goirish1966

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

purnell goldy

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 878
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hank Greenberg

I know he wasn't obscure in his day, but I didn't hear a lot about him growing up.

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerry Lumpe played second base in the early 60's I think.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hank Greenberg

I know he wasn't obscure in his day, but I didn't hear a lot about him growing up.

Here's an effort (from 1998) to correct that: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt02 08261/

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4310
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Howard, although he only played for about a season. Hondo was 6'7" and 280 pounds of force to be reckoned with. he hit the left field roof at the corner and he has about distant outfield 8 seats at RFK painted white to mark the spot where his homers landed. He hit one out of Yankee Stadium near where the foul line and facade meet. It was called foul, but many Yankees claimed it left the park fair.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a September waiver acquisition (i.e., post-trade deadline thus not eligible for the playoffs) in 1972, yes?

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1265
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hank Greenberg film was written and directed by Aviva Kempner, Cass Tech class of 1965.

For a couple of somewhat obscure Tigers, I'll offer up the "Walking Man" Eddie Yost - 3B in 1959 and 1960. He averaged about 90 walks a season over his long career and had 125 and 135 in his 2 seasons with the Tigers. The other is Ray Boone - infielder (played all positions I think) 1953-58. He hit .280-.300 with the Tigers, but is probably more know for being the father of player and manager Bob Boone, and grandfather to players Aaron and Bret Boone.

Eric_w

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jerry Lumpe played second base in the early 60's I think."
Played for us from 1964-1967. Came via trade from Kanas City for Rocky Colovito. Remember the old saying? "Don't knock the Rock"

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duke Sims-Acquired by the Tigers as another Billy Martin drinking buddy. At least he hit a home run, which I believe was his last as a Tiger so a relative could receive his free gallons of Marathon gasoline around 1973. I think it was announced on WJR by Ernie.

Astagafa
Username: Astagafa

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jake Wood. The only Tiger with some wheels in the early 60's.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the good ones have been taken already, but I can't forget my man Billy McMillon.

He was my Tiger back in 2000-01.

Ravine

Post Number: 1113
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Harnott, I actually saw your guy hit a Home Run into Center Field at Comerica Park. He didn't end up doing much (or getting a chance to do much) for us, but that HR was rather impressive, yes indeedy. That, in the park which Juan Gonzalez whined about being too big...

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skeeter Barnes's baseball card used to make me laugh all the time.

Ravine

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J, could you tell us why? The name? The tepid stats? The photo? All of those?

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary Pettis

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 260
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a few--Jim Walewander, Ray Oyler, Eddie Brinkman, Aurelio Rodriguez, and Dick Tracewski, who I believe was the only person to be in uniform as player or coach for both the 1968 & 1984 World Champion Tigers.

But my all-time favorite obscure player would be Les Cain. In 1971 at Tiger Stadium, Les Cain threw one pitch and was then pulled by Billy Martin pulled for a reliever. Will never forget that. It seemed unbelievable at the time and I still haven't heard anything like it since. (It wasn't until now that I read Les Cain would later sue the Tigers because Billy Martin forced Cain to pitch while injured.)

Also little known trivia, Les Cain was the last Detroit Tiger pitcher to hit a home run before the designated hitter rule.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny Meyer, outfielder
Leon Roberts

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 310
Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack Billingham

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.