Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » Blaha deserves some credit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1136
Posted on Monday, February 12, 2007 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Blaha is the Pistons more than any player. Is he in the Mich. Sports hall? the pistons should of hung his name up instead of cheapo Davidson

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point. I think Blaha is an amazing broadcaster. He knows the game and has great analysis. I feel like anchors and broadcasters are too obsessed with swinging from the nuts of NBA superstars and attempting to reference pop culture whenever possible.

I would go so far as to say he is the best sports announcer in the city right now. Though Ernie has to be Detroit's G.O.A.T.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 321
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ROD ALLEN!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4569
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People rever George Blaha. He is amazingly good and he's gone through so many partners over the years too.

As far as Ernie Harwell, he's up there for me but I also associate Ernie Harwell with one of the greatest voices that has ever graced the airwaves and that'd be Paul Carey. Paul had one of those great baritones that was so smooth to hear.

Another great for me is also the Red Wings famed announcer, Bruce Martyn; to hear that pitch rise in his voice as he says "He scores!" will be forever in my head.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MLB.com is now selling old broadcasts of Ernie & Paul. I have the final game of Detroit-Tor. in 87 recorded from WJR. The final game at Memorial Stadium was done by the Baltimore announcers, but they interviewed Ernie in the 4th inning.

And of course on EarnieHarwell.com you can get the old recordings of Ernie and his interview about his career in broadcasting on a 3 or 4-cd set.

James

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku - I agree, Blah is the man. Anyone remember Kelly Tripuka? Where is he now?

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George is the greatest...I have always loved the way he calls a game.

Strater and Redmond were pretty good as well.

Blaha and Harwell are tied in my mind

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to mention Gibson for that short period he was doing the tigers...

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

George Blaha has a perfect face for radio. Everytime I see him I think of Elmer Fudd.

James
~~~~~
George Blaha
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
George Blaha (born 1945 in Detroit, Michigan) has been the radio and television play-by-play voice of the Detroit Pistons since the 1976-77 NBA season.

Raised in Marshalltown, Iowa and Grayling, Michigan, Blaha attended Notre Dame and received an MBA from the University of Michigan. Before the 1976-1977 season, he replaced Frank Beckmann on WJR's radio broadcast of the Pistons, and announced his first NBA game from Cobo Arena on October 23, 1976. Blaha has missed only three games since 1976 due to illness. He has had a variety of color analysts including former Detroit Pistons players Vinnie Johnson, Kelly Tripucka, Bill Laimbeer, Rick Mahorn, and current color man Greg Kelser. He has almost always used the Pistons' first names when describing the action on the court. In 2002, Blaha was the recipient of the prestigious Ty Tyson Award for Excellence in Sports Broadcasting, awarded by the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association.

In addition to Pistons games, Blaha is currently the radio voice of the Michigan State Spartans football team. He was the voice of MSU basketball during the 2000-2001 season. Blaha himself enjoys basketball very much, and says he loves his job.

[edit] "Blaha-isms"
One of Blaha's trademarks is the use of alliteration:

"Lays it up, lays it in!"
"Fires, fills it!"
"Guns, got it!"
"Scoops it, scores it!"
"Gives it up, gets it back"
"Measures, and makes!"
"He hoists, and Hits!"
Other sayings commonly heard during play-by-play include:

"He hits the bunny!"
"The glasser goes!"
"Off the high glass!"
"Count that baby and a foul!"
"The crowd goes dead silent in _______ (cities name)!"
"He triples from way downtown!"
"School is out!"
"Rainbows, and it goes!"
"Don't look now, but..." (for what is going on at the particular moment)
"He splits a pair!"
"Touchdown... MSU!"
"Two and forty-three to go." (if there is 2:43 on the clock)
"Six and a half to play in the half!" (6:30 left in second quarter)
"With the slam-tap supreme"
"Three point gunning... it goes!"
"The show and go!"
"In and out...but back in again!"
"He throws up a rainbow gun!"
"He throws up a long gun!"
"Nothing but sweet, sweet, string music!"

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.