Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » 2007 Tiger Prediction Thread « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 817
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spring Training has started, so it is once again time for the annual prediction thread....

The winner from last year's prediction thread was East_detroit, with a prediction of 90 wins.
-----------------

The 2007 Tigers are basically the 2006 Tigers, minus Jamie Walker, plus Gary Sheffield, so I don't expect any drastic change in the win-loss record.

I have high hopes for a good year from Granderson, and the addition of Sheff should only make the Tiger offense better than last year.

The Tiger pitching should still be very good this year, but it will be hard to match the 2006 team. I don't expect any major deline in pitching this year, but I can't expect the Tigers pitching to be quite as good as last year.

I predict 92 wins this year, and a very tight playoff race.

This should be a very fun baseball season in Detroit.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 330
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

93 wins. Wild Card. Lose in the 1st round

another fun year at Comerica

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would expect there to be a little bit of a drop off to start the year--no 15 game leads in the Central at any point this season. It's ironic that the Tigers rise to the top has come at the same time that the AL Central has gone from the wost division in baseball to the best.

I would say 95 wins this season.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4583
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Lordy... after my near pitiful pick of "just being happy over .500", I'm gonna be gun shy to predict now. But take a stab at it I will.

Somebody put me down for 93 wins/ 69 losses and a shot at the Central division title. I predict another dogfight to capture the division.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 630
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was listening to the game yesterday and Sheffield hit a HR on an 8 pitch at bat. That's just what this team needs, a feared hitter who can work the count.

99 wins.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we're goin all the way!!!

Andysrc
Username: Andysrc

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here we go. 94 wins. Tight race in the Central with the Tigers coming out on top. Wild Card coming out of the East.

Detroit beats Boston in the first round of the playoffs and the Yanks in the second. They stay in New York and beat the Mets in the Series.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone care to change their predictions now that Kenny Rogers is out until July?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 139
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Kenny out the chemistry changes, both on the mound and in the clubhouse. The young arms are all going to have to step it up a notch. Maroth will have more pressure on him. The closers, Jones and Rodney will have more games to save/win.Would expect Zumya to come in earlier or move to additional closer. Tigers will fight to be wild card again.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say 95 wins and they win the Central. The Central race will be all about what team stays healthy and who has bench strength to rest players and fill in for injuries. The Tigs can fill in for Rogers and at most positions with a good to adequate player.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll say 100 wins (And I'm probably crazy) plus the Central Title in a dogfight.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The great thing is that the Tigers have the deepest pitching in baseball, with or without Rogers. This year's World Series champ will be from the AL Central, either the Tigers or the Indians, both around 92 wins each. The Twins will be a close 3rd. The White Sox will fall off some and Ozzie Guillen will be fired.

2007 Central Predictions
Tigers 93-69
Indians 92-70
Twins 88-74
White Sox 82-80
Royals 66-96

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2637
Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers 94-68
White Sox 3 back
Twins 5 back
Indians 10 back
Royals 30 back

Tigers, Red Sox, Angels, and White Sox make the playoffs.

In the NL, I've got the Phillies, Mets, Cubs, and Dodgers.

I will not talk about playoff matchups. St. Louis wasn't supposed to beat Detroit but they still did.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rd

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Sox 97-65
Indians 93-69
Tigers 87-75
Twins 85-77
Royals 65-97

Sox and Indians make the playoffs, as will the A's and the Yankees.

In the NL, all I can predict is that the Cubs won't be in the postseason. Again. And that's a good thing.

Ozzie Guillen will be Manager of the Year.

(Mackinaw, what do you mean, "St. Louis wasn't supposed to beat Detroit, but they did"??? Was something preordained? Face it, the Tigers were overachievers last year. It finally caught up to them in the Series.)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think I mean? St. Louis barely won a crappy division. No one believed in them or the NL in general. Everyone picked the Tigers. The Tigers got jittery and made enough mistakes to lose the series.

Your picks are wack. I believe the the White Sox will make the playoffs. I haven't decided, between them and the Tigers, who will take the division and who gets the WC. It doesn't really matter. You need to swap the Tigers for the Indians. The Indians won't win 85, actually.

The Yankees will miss the playoffs. The Cubs will be in the playoffs. Jim Leyland will win MOY again. Basically I could not agree less.

Fury13

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, the fact is that the Tigers weren't ready for prime time last year. They barely squeaked into the 2006 postseason.

They won't make the playoffs this year, bet on it.

After a couple more years of paying their dues and fine-tuning their game, I see the Tigers in another World Series in '09 or '10.

Fury13

Post Number: 1552
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And by the way, the so-called "lovable loser" Cubs will be lucky to finish third in their division.

That franchise is destined for eternal bleakness, thank God.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11509
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury,

You may be right, just like your White Sox that won the World Series a few years ago, then proved it was just a fluke by missing the post season last year. Seriously, I would be shocked if the Sox are ahead of anybody besides the Royals by year's end. Though your prediction comes as no surprise, as you had your Sox as repeat World Series champs last year.

As for the Tigers, I'm gonna hold of on any predictions in terms of record. They could win the division, or they could end up behind both the Twins and Indians. The only thing I'm confident in saying is that they WILL be ahead of the Royals and Sox, that's a given!

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

White Sox that won the World Series a few years ago, then proved it was just a fluke by missing the post season last year.

2001 WS Champion Diamondbacks miss 2002 playoffs
2002 WS Champion Angels miss 2003 playoffs
2003 WS Champion Marlins miss 2004 playoffs
2006 WS Champion White Sox & NLDS winner Astros miss 2006 playoffs.

I find it hard to believe that in the past six years, 4 World Series winners and one Division champion were all flukes. No team has repeated since the 1998-2000 Yankees.

This has nothing to do with a "fluke" season but the wild card team joining the playoffs and revenue sharing bringing more parity to the MLB.

quote:

(The Tigers) could win the division, or they could end up behind both the Twins and Indians.

So, if that happens, does that mean last year was a fluke year for the Tigers?

Stick with topics you know about.

Fury13

Post Number: 1557
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds, good post. It's very difficult for a team to repeat as a champion, no doubt.

Sport, we'll see if these Tigers are for real, or if they were a one-year wonder (which is what I believe). The '06 Tigers were smoke and mirrors; as I said, they barely made the playoffs. The '05 World Series Champion White Sox were one of the strongest, most balanced teams in the last decade (11-1 in the postseason, baby!).

And who just took 2 of 3 from the Tigers right here on their home turf? Hmmm?

Supersport

Post Number: 11511
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13,

I see Detroit is back on top of the division, while your Sox are battling it out for last place with the Royals. :-)

quote:

The '05 World Series Champion White Sox were one of the strongest, most balanced teams in the last decade (11-1 in the postseason, baby!).

If they were so strong, how come they didn't even make the postseason in 2006? Smoke and mirrors if you ask me. lol

Fury13

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon, Sport...

Last place? A half-game back is "battling it out for last place"?

Uhhh, OK, sure...

Hey, who won the season series between the Sox and the Tigers last year? And the year before? Hmmm?

In fact, the Sox have taken every season series from the Tigers since 1998, with the exception of 2004.

Who's your daddy?

Dds

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If they were so strong, how come they didn't even make the postseason in 2006? Smoke and mirrors if you ask me. lol

Let me answer that with my previous post.

quote:

This has nothing to do with a "fluke" season but the wild card team joining the playoffs and revenue sharing bringing more parity to the MLB.

Also, how can you call a 90 win season smoke and mirrors? Three teams in the Central Division had 90 or more wins. That's called parity.

Supersport

Post Number: 11514
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dds,

You must be new here. Poking at Fury13 about the White Sox and V8 powered American cars has nothing to do with either baseball, nor cars.

Yooper
Username: Yooper

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, so it's one of those either-nor scenarios?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2722
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tigers barely made the playoffs??? Seriously, wtf you smoking? They clinched on Sept. 18th. Chicago was down and out way too soon to even put us in jeoprady.

So first you say that the Tigers could probably win in '09, but then you say they're a one-hit wonder. Make up your mind. Look at our pitching and all the players in their prime at our keystone positions i.e. SS/2B. Then you have Granderson who will peak in 2-5 years, and youth like Maybin out there. Tigers aren't going anywhere, and neither are the Sox. I expect more of what we saw last weekend.

Dds

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dds,

You must be new here. Poking at Fury13 about the White Sox and V8 powered American cars has nothing to do with either baseball, nor cars.

Oops! Sorry. Didn't know I was cock-blocking. Carry on.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.