Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » Firehouses » Condolidated Firehouses Archive » Firehouses - 6 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the weird 24-hour shifts also taught us military time. Dad used to joke about one of the guys complaining that he didn't get to sleep until "half past nothing". It was very helpful when I worked shifts managing a computer room at the phone company. I still use it today though mostly to mess with folks who have to count it out.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 770
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, Mtm, the weird shifts did teach me alot. My friends who didn't have a DFD dad really thought we were a messed up family but I always disagreed. I thought we were the normal ones and everyone else was messed up (I mean, really, dad home for dinner every night? Having Christmas ON Christmas? Their dads not calling with a signal?) It took me a good long while to get used to everything once dad retired (I'm still not into the groove...my sister and her husband both work holidays in the civil service field so we are back at square one!) My son even asks when are we celebrating whatever holiday...it's even normal to him.

Mtm

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every year for Christmas, "Santa" gets Dad a firefighter-related ornament. He (Dad) puts up a special little Christmas tree - in his award and memorabilia-filled den - that has NOTHING but firefighting ornaments.

I just ran out to Hallmark and, not only do they have the usual rig ornament, they also have a special "Firefighters" ornament ($10). firefighter ornament
I especially like the back of the box which says:
"There are those who don't wait when there's trouble at hand...
those who don't know the word "fear".
At Christmas, we speak about angels on high...
but firefighters are "angels" all year.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 772
Posted on Tuesday, November 21, 2006 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I'm heading to Hallmark tomorrow! Thanks for that pic, Mtm...that is fabulous. Dad also gets FF stuff from Santa and he has a special room (OK, the whole basement) that has his awards, FF related items, pictures, etc. He has no special tree but he has all his ornaments in a memory box (thanks to mom).

Dfd
Username: Dfd

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, November 22, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! If you're on the the job, have a quiet one.
Dfd

Mtm

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DetroitTeach,

Glad I could help. When Dad was retiring, I was traveling - Atlanta I think - and bought him a miniature cast iron helmet that I eventually painted white with 203 on the front. Only problem was, and this was YEARS before all the airline security nastiness, when it was x-rayed, they couldn't tell what it was and had to tear it out of it lovely wrapping.

Dfd

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any firebrats have stories of visiting your dad at the firehouse on Christmas day?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 774
Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course! Going to the FD on Christmas was a standard (we'd often carpool if dad was at the same house with others in the neighborhood). We usually got a bite to eat (pie, at the very least)...often Santa was there (complete with turnout gear on) and there were usually presents for we brats.

Christmas was one of those holidays that was celebrated for 3 days in our neighborhood (for those working eve, day and the day after). One kid would have Christmas the day before the Eve...One on the Eve, one on the day of Christmas. Needless to say, we traveled to whoever was having Christmas on whichever day! It was like a weeklong celebration in my neighborhood (since every kid had either a cop or a fireman for a dad and mom was usually in the civil service field (mine is a nurse). Parents working on holidays was just a given and not thought of twice...just a part of growing up.

I always thought dad felt bad about both he and mom working on holidays or birthdays but my sister and I never even gave it a thought. We knew that our parents were out helping others (especially kids) and we were fierce proud. I know others I grew up with felt the same way...we were all in the same boat.

I do remember visiting the burn center at the hospital around Christmas (although we went at various times throughout the year, just not holidays) and we always took toys to the kids (it was a firefighter event). We made some fast friends in those kids and had a blast! We never thought they looked funny and we all know what had happened to them so we treated them like any other kid...I think they appreciated that (this was in the time of teasing and such if a kid was different). We even met some of the kids that dad and his shift had saved (and their grateful parents). I remember one little kid calling dad his angel and dad crying. I think that is the first time I saw my dad really cry. The poor kid was burnt pretty much all over his body and was bandaged head to toe. I also remember mom explaining to us about what burn victims go through medically and physically and it paining us in our hearts.

Dad always made sure every Christmas light was off before heading to bed and he'd call and remind mom to do the same when he was on duty. He still calls me to remind me...and smoke alarms were a staple on every floor in every room of our house. Dad would tell horror stories about folks who didn't have detectors (or batteries in detectors) and it cost them with their lives. I check mine faithfully...

Enough rambling...fellow brats, any stories from you?

Mtm

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, November 26, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Man! One year, eldest sister (now in her late 50s) had recently gotten her license and was driving Mom's '67 fastback 'Cuda. On Mount Elliot, two dogs were otherwise occupied though no pups out of that one. My sister hit them and one got stuck under the car. Took a while to get them out before we could joint Dad at the Engine House for dinner.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 775
Posted on Monday, November 27, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about dad sending the trucks to rescue you when your car broke down? Happened a few times to my sis and I. We'd call the FD and talk to dad and here they'd come, Ladders, Engines and all! Talk about service!! Only in the City, though, he couldn't come and do that if we were anywhere else. First time was scary in that we weren't expecting the cavalry...but we could always count on them. Prior to days of cell phones, we'd HAVE to call the dept and if dad wasn't there for some odd reason, the guys would come anyway! Talk about fatherly love...

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 778
Posted on Thursday, November 30, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to bump this thread...

Have a safe week to all the FF and families out there!

Dfd

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well how was Thanksgiving for you firefighters and brats? Did last Friday's winds cause much trouble for the DFD?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkey day was great for us. Winds didn't bother dad because he's retired (I think he basked in the glow of the TV).

Dfd

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

attaboy!

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,

Glad your dad had a great Turkey day. I just hope he didn't waste his time watching the Lions. Pretty hard to bask in the glow of anything colored Honolulu blue and silver.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 797
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad hates sports! He was probably watching some History Channel show about a war. We had a nice dinner at their house (my sis and her hubby had to work...which is nothing new for our family) so we made a family day on Saturday and went to Frankemuth (it was also mom's b-day).

Dfd

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, Do you have any pictures from inside of your dad's firehouse that you can share?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have any here. I can try and see if he hs any at home. Dad isn't much for pictures (taking or getting his taken) so I'm not sure what he might have.

Mtm

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Gang!

With Lowell's advice (thanks, Lowell!!) I was able to print this site to send to my Dad. It was literally hundreds of pages but I think he was pretty thrilled with it. When I asked him what he thought of it, he said, "It's pure history!". Thanks my friends.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is one of the greatest threads going on here. I really enjoy the reparte among FF friends.

Dfd

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, December 15, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea, how do you print these. Is it page by page or can you have the computer print it all?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3460
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While digging out pictures for the Delray thread today, I stumbled across this Delray fire Station from 2004.

Delray fire station

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very Nice Lowell. Do you have any info on it? When was it built? Still in use today?

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Engine 29 -- South of the Tracks
http://detroitfirefighters.net /images/E29p.jpg

Ffdfd

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mattric43, Engine 29 is still active. It's a bit of a rest camp, as it gets far fewer runs and fires than most firehouses in the city. A lot of guys wouldn't want to run there because it's not busy enough. The front door view of Zug Island doesn't help either.

E29 has to have a relief company fill in when they cross over the railroad tracks, thus their slogan South of the Tracks. You hear them inform Central Office they are south of the tracks, meaning their fill-in can go back home.
Here is info on the firehouse, from detroitfirefighters.net:
http://detroitfirefighters.net /engine_companies.htm
ENGINE 29

ORGANIZED JEFFERSON & SOLVAY MAY 1907
FRONT 60.11 FT
DEPTH 100 FT
COST OF SITE $3,600.00
COST OF BUILDING $13,025.00
ARCHITECT R.E. RASEMAN, F.J. McINNIS
CONTRACTOR JOHN FINN , BUILDINGS & GROUNDS BUREAU DFD
REMODELED 1930, COST $19,536.00
USABLE FLOOR SPACE 9,452 SQ. FT
1937 ASSESSED VALUATION
LAND $5,410.00
BUILDING, $24,090.00

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep - 29 has the fire engine in one bay, and an ambulence in the other. I just drove past it today. It's just the same except things look a bit more dismal on days such as this as opposed to Lowell's sunny photo :-) Thanks for sharing.

PS - does anyone have the number of the fire company in the Oakwood neighborhood near Oakwood and Sanders? Is it still in operation? I've seen the backside every day coming home from work, but I haven't ever driven by the front to see what it is/get photos/more info/etc. Thanks.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busterwmu, the old Engine 48 is at Bayside and Sanders. It is not an active firehouse. I don't know what that building is being used for today -- don't get down that way much. Engine 48 is still an active company, operating out the firehouse on Fort & Downing. The new 48 is one of the newest firehouses in the city (1980).

You can see the old 48 on this page of ex-firehouses.
http://detroitfirefighters.net /classic_fire_houses.htm

Busterwmu

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Ffdfd. I was down that way today and drove down Bayside to get a better look. If it's not in use, it's in great shape. Could very well be a residence - there were two cars parke din the driveway for the single stall. Lights on inside, and a nice American flag waving proudly from the flagpole. I thought it was interesting that Bayside is a one-way street, and it's a long ways down the block to the next cross street. Not only that, but the street is so narrow I'd hate to bring a fire engine down there. Perhaps back when it was in service, they could pull out and cut over right to Sanders? I'd assume this firehouse went out of service when the new 48 was built in 1980. Kind of cool. If we ever see the sun again I'll try to get a photo or two.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 818
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Holidays to all our heroes. Thought it was appropriate to drag my letter to our heroes back out. Here it is:

I am just one fireman's daughter. My dad was, and still is, my hero. I just wanted to say thanks to all the dads, uncles, grandpas and brothers who put their life on the line each day to protect and serve. When I was little, I used to listen carefully for the 11pm phone call, just one ring....to let mom know he was safe. After that, I could fall asleep. In the mornings, when he'd come home, I'd hop onto his lap and take a big sniff. That smokey smell was my comfort, knowing that dad had returned home safe. The birthdays and holidays that were put off until a day off were never a second thought. It was dad's job and I was proud to be his daughter. You men may not know how your kids feel. Maybe they are too young to express it, that is why I am doing it for them. Maybe they are older now, you're retired like my dad. It doesn't matter.....you will all always be heroes. Next time you aren't sure or feel bad for missing a birthday or Christmas just remember this....we are proud to be your kids and we do understand. It's a part of our lives, we've never known anything different. I'm all grown up now with a kid of my own. I never forget my "family" of firemen and women and their families. It was a comfort growing up to have that...to know that we are loved by so many heroes. Thanks a million, stay safe and know that we, your kids, are proud.

Dfd

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank for your post detroitteacher.Great picture Lowell! Thanks. Merry Christmas to everyone on the thread, from our crew(sadly not from Detroit).

Engine 102

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E.29 was not always a "Rest House". I remember many working fires and extra alarm fires along W.Jefferson,Dearborn,Lyon ,Leigh and Thaddeus streets. Last week a second alarm was struck for W.Jefferson and Crossly.Fires at the Revere Brass Works were very dangerous. Haz-Mat situations. The 7th.Battalion motto was "The 7th.Battalion were every night is "Devils Night"."I don't know if it still is.E.48 is a unique fire company. Because of the Fort Street Bridge it is the only "QUAD" in the department. Like E.29 it must be "filled in". E.48 is also assigned extra manpower. If you go to 48's for photos try to get one of the rig. It is a '03 Pierce "QUAD". An American flag logo is worked into the paint job.Great site. Great photos. THANKS!!

Dfd

Post Number: 177
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firebrats, Are you going to do the "Detroit Firebrat" t-shirt project next year?

Mtm

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd,

Hokey smokes!! You folks have five guys on a rig?!?! I can't remember when DFD had that many.

As to how to print this site, Lowell sent me these instructions:

"Assuming you are using internet explorer -- right click on the Firehouses link on the topic list. From the context pop up window, click on "Open Page in New Window..." which will do as it says.

"Next go to the menu click File > Print preview. There you will see the thread as it will print out - about 40 pages. If you are happy with that click print and you are on your way.

"Do the right click - open in new window - print procedure on Firehouses 1,2,3"

WARNING: the first thread which Lowell mentions as about 40 pages, is the shortest. Make sure to have the paper and toner ready!

I'm hoping that all of you had a Happy Hanukkah, Serene Solstice, Merry Christmas and, starting today forward: A Bountiful Boxing Day, A Joyous Kwaanza, and a PEACEFUL New Year!

...Oh, and Dad's little ALL firefighter tree was loaded even before he opened the Hallmark ornament mentioned above.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 822
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am working on a Firebrat T-shirt for the next Field Day. Since Field Day is a charity event for the Firemen's Fund I was thinking about having a donation pot there, too. I am planning on calling the Firemen's Fund folks for some pointers on T-shirts (I was going to have one of my students design it, she is also a firebrat...one who can draw). If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them! I am also working on getting a few brats who live in other states here for Field Day. Calling all brats...post your ideas so I can get some feedback. Anything you'd like to see (brats against dads in tug of rope?). When I contact the Fund, I'll post here and let everyone know what they say. The FF that I've talked to think it's a grand idea. We do need to include brats past and present. Maybe have a Brats table??

Dfd

Post Number: 178
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm
"You folks have five guys on a rig?!?! "
I wish! We happened to have 4 that day(rare). The 5th was on the ambulance with a contract medic(who took the picture).
Detroitteacher, that sounds great! Where is Field Day usually held?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 823
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd, way long ago it was held at Camp Dearborn, Belle Isle and a few other parks. Not sure where it's held these days. I know there wasn't one for a while but they had one last year at Ford Field in Dearborn, if I am not mistaken (although I could be). I do have some investigating to do and fliers to get out if I decide to jump into this Firebrat idea. I'll probably contact the Fireman's Fund in the next few days. They don't do email (sigh) so I have to call them direct.

Dfd

Post Number: 179
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busterwmu,
Thanks for the pictures. Ladder 10s house doesnt look quite as good as it did in 03 when we went up. I hope the city doesnt let it go to much.
Detroitteacher, I checked around alittle and it looks like Detroit has the best recognition of their Firebrats! Congratulations. Is there usually media coverage of the Field Day?

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Teacher,

My dad is a retired Detroit Firefighter, when I was a kid, the only Fire Department event I ever remember happening at Camp Dearborn was the Red, White & Blue. Those were always a blast, but unfortunately, they stopped doing them about 15 years ago.

As a whole, I've loved reading this thread. Unfortunately, I don't think ANY of my dad's engine houses has made it in here. I know for a fact he was at

Engine 31
Ladder 10/Engine 4
Engine 1 (Across Montcalm from the Town Pump Tavern)

I know he worked in a few others but those are the ones I know he served at off the top of my head.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo, I'm guessing you mean Engine 10/Ladder 4 on Vinewood near Michigan Avenue. Ladder 4 was nixed in '05 so now that house is just Engine 10. Your dad would be bummed to know that Engine 31 (on the Boulevard at McGraw) is one of the companies closed daily and will probably be permanently shuttered in July. Now just Squad 4 runs there. Too bad; both were/are great houses.

Actually, your dad's alma maters hit the trifecta. Engine 1 shares its quarters with TAC 2 (a mini pumper). But even though there is a crew assigned to TAC 2, there hasn't been an actual TAC apparatus in a while. So the TAC guys get dispersed every day and Engine 1 has the house to itself.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah...you are right about Engine 10 Ladder 4. He was the captain there for the last few years before he retired in 2004.

He started at Engine 31 as a trailman back in the early 70s and then he stayed there until he made sergeant in 87 or 88.

Heck, for all I know I might have given you enough information that you might know who my dad is.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 824
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo: Dad also worked at the 10-4 on Vinewood and the Blvd. It was his favorite house! He also worked on McGraw (Ladder 22??) and on Southfield and Joy. The numbers all escape me except his beloved 10-4. Jimbo, I suspect our dads knew each other well since dad was Chief when yours was Captain! We have probably met at one of the many functions we attended when we were kids (Field Day, etc).

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd: I haven't been to a Field Day in eons, not sure if the media covers it or not. Way back when we always had a blast at the Field Days. I think 2006s Field Day was the first in a very long time. It was held in August.

We are the most recognized because we are the proudest kids ever! Firefighting in Detroit/NY/Chicago and any major city is dangerous work and we brats tend to stick together. I still keep in touch with a few brats from my childhood. Would love to have a reunion (and Jimbo, you are more than welcomed at the next Field Day when we plan on doing this reunion!) Would love to hear any ideas you might have on activities, what you'd like to see, etc.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your dad was Chief of the 7th Battalion? My dad spent the majority of his last year on the job getting those one day promotions to Acting Chief of the 7th Battalion. He must have been filling in for your dad on his kelly days or something like that.

I don't remember going to too many of the field days as a kid. I was real young when we went to the one I can vaguely remember. I think there was one of those "smoke houses" there where they taught kids how to get out of a house that is on fire.

I do remember the Red White and Blues out at camp dearborn much more clearly. Those were some of the best pig roasts. Plus they had the games for all the kids. It was kinda like a big family reunion

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 826
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo: My dad retired a few years before yours did so he might not have been filling in for dad but I am betting they knew each other well.

The RWB at Camp Dearborn were, I believe, in the very early years part of the Fireman's Field Days. I clearly remember the signs, pig roast, games, the tons of food (everybody brought a few dishes and the firemen cooked for an army!)

I grew up in a neighborhood full of firebrats so we were pretty close. We tried to include those we didn't know as well but there were a zillion of us and I wouldn't remember anyone now except those I keep in contact with...names of "surrogate fathers" I would remember. Dad is still pretty tight with his house family (and their families) and I know some of the guys well (all too well, as they told me what to do and not to do as much as dad did!!) They still keep an eye out on me!

Welcome to the forum, Jimbo! Glad to see other brats joining in!!

Ffdfd

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure the people reading this thread would find the web site of Tony_box_42 (from a few posts up) of interest. I always check out their newsletters sitting around the firehouse. Good stuff.

http://www.box42.net/

Tony's right about the unique apparatus at E48, which he calls a Quad (although I've always heard it called a Quint). It's the only rig in the city which acts as a full-blown pumper (engine) and has a hydraulic aerial ladder (truck). It's an engine and truck in one. I believe the pump can do 1500 gallons per minute (most of ours do 1250 gpm) and it has a 400-gallon water tank (most have 500 gallons); the aerial is a 75-footer (most trucks have 100-footers). Tony might correct me on any of this as I've only been detailed there a few times over the years.

Like E29, E48 is a rest camp. Aside from the airport (E20), they're the two slowest companies in the city. Tony, you mention that E48 gets extra manpower. Every time I've worked there we've ridden four. Of course, until we got the four-man ride a few years ago, having four was having extra manpower.

Here's a link to a photo of E48:
http://detroitfirefighters.net /images/apparatus/Detroit%20En gine-48-2a.jpg

Busterwmu

Post Number: 344
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I added some photos of Engine 29, Engine 37, Engine 27/Ladder 8, Engine 18/Ladder 10, and the aerial truck at the station on McGraw at the bottom of this thread, section 2. Or just link here: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/80701.html?1167261934 and scroll down.

Dfd

Post Number: 180
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the 18s in 03 and the exterior had been fixed up. Is it looking bad again?

Ffdfd

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, the exterior looks fine now. Of course, it's not 18s anymore ...

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ffdfd: Thank you for the compliments on the Newsletter. You are correct the Pierce is a Quint.
The '62 Seagrave was a Quad.No aerial. It was replaced by a '86 Sutphen Quint. The specs on the Pierce are
1500 gpm. pump,400 gal. tank,50 gal. foam,109 ft. of ground ladders and a 75ft. rear mount pre piped ariial.Iwill check on manpower. Perhaps with the addition of the pre piped ladder the 5th. man has been eliminated. You mentioned City Airport. Do you remember E.20X ? It was a rolling fire extinguisher mounted on an International chassis. Brown with the old City of Detroit logo.No D.F.D. markings manned by one F.E.O.
If you are interested in D.F.D apparatus two excellent sources of information are Detroit Fire Department Apparatus History one of several books by Matt Lee and Dan Jasinas'Motorized Apparatus In The D.F.D.The Firebrats may be interested in Cheryl Andersons' book Detroit Firefighters 1865-2005. Photos and drawings of the people of the D.F.D. Happy New Year to all ! TONY

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 836
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have Cheryl's book. It is EXCELLENT! Dad knows Jon Bozich who helped in getting the book ready. Dad was quite disappointed that they didn't have his picture in there with his dress uniform on. They have him in street clothes (I think he may have his DFD jacket on). My uncle is also in there (he died back in 63 or 65...before my time) and I thought HE was dad! Oh MY!!

Dfd

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do any of you guys work with Kenny Brozzo? We were up there on a ride along and he was on Squad 3. I remember he did a good imitation of "Pinky and the Brain". We didnt see him our other trips up there, so I was wondering which company he's on now.

Tony_box_42

Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You picked a close relative . If you would have picked a total stranger that would be embarrassing. Cheryl worked very hard on that book. She dug through storage closets,basements, attic and cubby holes at D.F.D headquarters. She is the wife of retired chief John "Fred" Anderson. I know of one son who is on the department. I know Jon Bozich and his brother Joe. Both retired as chiefs . Jon as chief of arson and Joe as 203. Jon and his arson squad partner John Tucker played a dirty trick on me. I was at a retirement party talking to the chief of department. Both Johns came over and joined the conversation. When I put my empty glass down Bozich picked it up by the rim put it in an evidence bag and told Tucker "Quick get it to the lab and see if the prints match the gas can from last nights fire". Firemen never loose there penchant for practical jokes. I bet all the firebrats have similar stories they can tell.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 837
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad, Joe, and Jon all are jokesters! Even we firebrats are not off-limits for their jokes...it's constant laughter (and some eye rolling from we brats) when our dads get together!!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 838
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hardway, welcome to the forum and our own little family (or so it seems). First, the pages at the top are full...very full...pages (so post here, not there. My computer goes bonkers when I look at those pages, guess it takes to long to scroll through to the bottom even with the jump to the bottom of the page option).

To shrink photos you have to go into your photoshop editing software and change the size of the photos (it took me forever to get it right and then it was jut by chance).

Of which fire do you have photos? Hope it isn't the 87 warehouse fire. That one hit too close to home. It was hard getting on here and seeing the TRAPPED headline at the top of the page for so long (glad it was flipped to the top on a different page). Dad avoided that fire by less than an hour (and being in Schimick's spot) and that particular fire still haunts me.

It is amazing that what one family goes through, we all go through in such a tight community as firefighters (and cops and military). It still saddens me to hear of a FF being hurt on the job. It's like it is happening to a father or brother of one of us (firebrats).

Dfd

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, January 02, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hardway,
Right click on the photo, then left click on "resize pictures", left click "Advanced",left click on "custom". Type in 500 by 500 and left click OK. This will make a picture that's small enough to post. You will still have the original.
Welcome to the forum!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know "Fred" Anderson and his wife. They lived not to far from us in South Lyon after residency got passed. They went to the same church as us.

Detroitteacher,

It's funny that you mention the warehouse fire. I was helping my parents go through some boxes of photos and newspaper clippings back in october when we ran across the clippings from that fire. It was the first time my dad could get the courage up to look at them. The ironic thing is that a phot of him consoling a fellow fireman (I think it was Bob Latka) was on the front page of the Free Press the day after the fire. He had never seen that photo of himself.

That was definitely a scary day for my mom and I. My dad was working that day (Engine 31) and my mom was on the way home to pick me up from daycare when she heard on the radio that a 42 year old fireman was killed. No name was given. My dad was 42 at the time and the warehouse was in an area where Engine 31 would have been one of the quickest apparatus on the scene. By the time she was at daycare to pick me up she was fighting back tears. Then we spent the rest of the evening sitting in front of the tv waiting for any news coverage to come in. Any word at all.

Around 9 or 10 that night, they relieved the guys who had been fighting the fire so they could take a break. At that time, my dad flagged down one of the TV reporters and asked to use his bag phone to call my mom to let her know he was alright. My mom started crying all over again. It was a tough 4 or 5 hours there when she thought she might be a widow.

I was only 5, so at the time I really didn't have a total understanding of what was going on, but it is amazing that even at such a young age how etched in my memory that day still is.

Hardway
Username: Hardway

Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dfd under what program? i don't see a resize under what i use.

Dfd

Post Number: 183
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll just find a picture (in "My Pictures" )and then right click on it. Are your pictures already saved in your computer?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 839
Posted on Wednesday, January 03, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimbo: Lt. Schimick relieved dad that morning. We, too, had heard the news reports and thought it was dad (you know how they cover for guys that aren't there yet...and we had no idea what time the fire started). All the news said was that it was the Lt. from dad's house that was killed! We had no idea for a very long time what had happened or what was going on. My mom was So mad at him when he walked through the door (finally) because he hadn't called. This was pre cell phone days!

Dad was a pallbearer for Schimick. Dad still can't look at photos of that fire. It was the day he lost friends, colleagues and brothers. It could have been him.

I still get a pit in my stomach when I think of it or see photos. Small world that something that happened 20 years ago and would be forgotten by many here is remembered and felt by us, like it was yesterday, on this forum.

Hardway
Username: Hardway

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD, yes i scanned them into and saved as jpeg.

Dfd

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hardway, I think you should be able to bring up the picture on your computer and then do all the right click, left click stuff. If that doesn't work, maybe someone on the forum knows what to do. I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures!

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 842
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My pics don't resize with the right click/left click options. I had to go into my photo editing software and resize it there.

Dfd

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, does anyone remember the gargoyles on Engine 18s firehouse with the light-up eyes?

Dfd

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I didn't take a close up.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

is this firehouse abandoned? if so shouldnt they have taken the flag with them? if its NOT abandoned shouldnt the fix the windows AND replaced the flag?

david

Dfd

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's Highland Park isn't it? That's sad. When was that picture taken?
We stopped by there in 03 and felt sorry for them. The door openers were all broken and they couldnt get them fixed. It was in bad shape then.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd: You are correct. That is the abandoned Headquarters in the Municipal Center on Gerald. The entire complex is abandoned. One of the stations was demolished years ago. Another is also abandoned. The station on Hamilton and Puritan is privately owned and is in great shape.It has a Gem within. A beautifully restored Seagrave Sedan pumper. Highland Park now runs from an enclosed loading dock in the 6mi. I-75 area. I think the men live in trailers with in the building. Tony

Dfd

Post Number: 193
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the information.
Almost leaves you speechless......
Do you have a picture of the firehouse at Hamilton and Puritan ?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1849
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheryl Anderson is scheduled to discuss her book "Detroit Firefighters, 1864-Today" at the monthly meeting of the Detroit Society for Genealogical Research on Saturday, March 10, 2pm in the Explorers Room of the main Detroit Public Library. Booksigning to follow. Free to the public.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 856
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen: Thanks for the info! Her book is fabulous!

Dfd

Post Number: 194
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony, do you have a picture of the station at Hamilton and Puritan?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dfd : Sorry, I don't have pictures of the
station. I am sure one of my cohorts
does. It is the ultimate in "loft"
apartments. The family that owns
it lives on the second floor.
Patio on the roof, landscaped yard
and a Seagrave on the apparatus floor.

Dfd

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What else could you ask for!?

Dfd

Post Number: 197
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone happen get a picture of their local firehouse covered with snow?

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3592
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD - Hamilton / Puritan can be seen at:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/81906.html#POST562302

Dfd

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That does make a great residence!
Thanks

Dfd

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you firebrats survive the holidays?

Dfd

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you firebrats survive the holidays?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 907
Posted on Wednesday, January 31, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firebrats survive anything! Holidays went well here...

Mtm

Post Number: 179
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah! And hoping that all of you had a peaceful holiday season and not too many runs in this cold weather. Or, at least, that the Salvation Army Wagons keep you well stocked with coffee and gloves as they did in Dad's time.

One of the things I got for Dad as a Christmas gift is a firefighter's uniform from Poland. The pants dont quite fit him but the jacket does. Its extremely well constructed of a very good wool and has Polish eagles for all the buttons. Although the pants didn't fit, they're still cool with concealed button fly and, not only belt loops but also buttons on the waist-band for red suspenders!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFD,

Holidays weren't bad at all. Well except sometimes at Christmas. One or two times when I was younger, my dad worked Christmas eve, which meant he didn't get off work until 7am on Christmas Day. Then add the 45 minute drive back out to South Lyon...oh man. Can you imagine a 10 or 11 year old actually waiting until 8 am (after he's been up since 5:30) for his dad to get home so the family could open presents?

That was the only torturous thing.

Mtm

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, El_jimbo, it teaches you fortitude and patience... Believe me, we've all been there!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MTm,

I realize that now, but at 10 I could give a rat's ass about fortitude and patience! I just wanted the presents! haha

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 910
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'd wait in our PJs down the block for dad and race him home on the ice. My sis and I would make coffee and let mom sleep until he got home. Dad simply explained (when I was nothing but a minute) that other people needed him to save their houses, their lives and their kids and fire didn't wait until after Christmas. We never gave it a second thought. It was the way we lived (and still do with all of in the service fields). I was so proud of dad he could have come home at 2 in the afternoon and that would have been fine. Dad always came home with a story about sme poor kid who did't get presents because their house burned down...it taught us humility and our giving nature. I remember one year two girls were left homeless (and parentless) after their house caught fire. Sis and I wanted to give our presents to them and asked dad if we could. He said it had already been taken care of. Where "Santas on their big red sleigh with ladders" found presents on Christmas morning back then was a mystery but those girls had gifts waiting for them at the hospital that morning. We never forgot that.

Dfd

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great stories! Do any of your dads have stories about THE COLDEST DAY on the job?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 911
Posted on Friday, February 02, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad doesn't like the cold so anytime it fell below 60 was the coldest day for him :-)

Mtm

Post Number: 182
Posted on Monday, February 05, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dad unfortunately doesn't have very many memories anymore. (Hey! We're lucky to still have him at almost 86!) BUT, I will always remember him talking about the Salvation Army sending out "wagons" with hot coffee and gloves. I NEVER pass a SA bucket, whether going in or out, without dropping a buck.

Mtm

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard on the news that we lost another one of our faithful, so well-serving, and well-beloved and honored Brothers or Sisters tonight. An SUV hit the rig (I'm not sure which rig because that hasn't been disclosed on the news yet) on which two Firefighters were riding outside. One is injured and one is beyond injury.

i felt shivers down my spine and tears in my eyes. It's so reminiscent of the old engine 56 accident when my Dad might have been lost if it weren't for DFD band practice. I can hear echo-taps already playing in my head.

If there is ANYTHING we can do to help the family of this Brother or Sister, PLEASE let us know.

(Message edited by mtm on February 07, 2007)

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E. Co. 17. I doubt they were riding outside
since all new rigs are four man cabs.
I am sure they were thrown
from the rig. God Rest his soul .

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 724
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Firefighter killed racing to blaze
February 7, 2007

By BILL MCGRAW AND NAOMI PATTON

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

A veteran Detroit firefighter died tonight in a traffic accident when his rig collided with another vehicle on Detroit's west side.

Joe Torkos, the fire-engine operator -- or driver -- of Engine Co. 17, had to be extricated from the cab of his firetruck and was taken to Henry Ford Hospital, according to Dan McNamara, the president of the Detroit Fire Fighters Association.

Two adults and a child were in the other vehicle, a black Chevy Tahoe, and McNamara said one of them also was killed, but it wasn't immediately clear which one. The other two were taken to Henry Ford Hospital.

The accident occurred about 6:30 p.m. at the intersection of West Grand Boulevard and 14th Street. Engine 17, located at Second and Burroughs in New Center, was rushing to a fire.

Police said the SUV was heading south on 14th Street when it collided with the engine, which was heading west and turning onto 14th from West Grand Boulevard.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070207/NEW S01/70207042

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 915
Posted on Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My prayers go out to the family. I just called dad and he didn't know Torkos personally but is still broken up, none-the-less. Dad was Chief 5 for a while so I am sure that when he sees a face to go with the name he'll know. I echo Mtm...if there is anything we can do, please let us know. It's like losing a member of the family, whether we know them or not. Firefamilies take care of their own.

Dfd

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The arrangements are on the home page of detroitfirefighters.net

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found out info on the guy that caused the accident. He was a wanted man (serious charges from what I hear). The other man in the SUV with him was a relative and each man had a child in the car. There was also a gun in the vehicle. The wife of the idiot in the SUV is talking of suing the city (for what, I don't know) and is demanding her vehicle be returned to her immediately. I received this info from a family member of the SUV people. The person I talked to is devastated that her relative caused this accident and will not stand with her family in defense of the driver of the SUV. They were speeding, music bumping, and ran a red light, according to this person.

She wanted me to convey her heartfelt apologies to the families of these fine firefighters. She said her family member had no business being on the road.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 634
Posted on Thursday, February 08, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of that (Someone Who I Know Said That...) business is weak.

Ffdfd

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take a suck Ravine. The asshole driver was going 80 on a 35 street, had a gun and cocaine. Oh, and he didn't have a license. He was still on probation for felony robbery. A very bad person rubbed out a very good one.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 921
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 4:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't want to mention names. I work with the cousin (yes, real blood cousin) of the driver of the SUV. She knows my father was a DFF and she needed to talk to someone and express her apologies.

Ravine, our thread is a nice one...please don't munk it up with negativity.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 639
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a raw nerve of mine collided with a raw nerve of yours, Dteacher, leading to an irritating remark from me. I should have kept that one to myself. My apologies are offered.

Dfd

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you guys frozen up there? brrrrr
Thick ice on wires and trees here in Northern KY.

Mtm

Post Number: 190
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bit of snow, Dfd, but we're tough little buggers up here. Always felt SO sorry for our beloveds fighting the nasty ones in this weather. And, with it being cold, this is really the time when you get folks heating their homes improperly - bad heaters or stoves - and starting fires in old wooden houses. Dad also really hated that most of those poorer houses had bars on their windows which made rescues next to impossible.

Thank God for the Salvation Army wagons.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 922
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mtm: Bars on the windows and doors was a huge issue with my dad, too. He lost a kid once because the FF couldn't get past the bars. This was when they first started appearing on houses. FF couldn't get in and by the time they got the bars off, the kid had died. Dad was broken up over that one for a long time.

Salvation Army wagons saved the day many times (as did the Ice Cream Man in the summer...he always had complimentary ice cream for the guys). Many times dad came home and his turnout gear was still frozen solid. Watching it thaw and checking on it for him in the basement was my duty. Don't think checking on it served any purpose other than to let me help in some way. I still appreciate that.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 923
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought you all might like to know about this. It's on the DFF.net. It's a fundraiser for the families of Joe Torkos and Walt Grysko (the injured FF).

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/ tool/post/jlrandall/vpost?id=1 706736

Dfd

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a photo of a joker stand in a Cincinnati firehouse(1970s). Does it look similar to what Detroit used to use?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father was a volunteer fireman on the Center Line FD from 1946 through 1971. I remember going with him to several of the annual Firemen's Communion Mass and breakfast at St. Florian's back in the 1960's. I also remember going with him to a DFD Field day which I think was held at Briggs Stadium.

We lived only one block from the CL fire station, so at an early age I got to know all of the firemen and the equipment they used. The CLFD's 1926 American LaFrance pumper has recently been acquired by members of the current CLFD and is in the process of being restored [link to info & photos].

My grandfather was one of the founding members of the CLFD in 1926, plus he was also a WW I US Army veteran who fought the Communist Bolsheviks in North Russia (Polar Bears).

Through my involvement with the Polar Bear Memorial Association, I have come to know Stan Bozich, who is a former member of the Detroit FD and the brother of Jon Bozich.

While recently browsing through the U of M's Polar Bear Expedition Digital Collections, I came across the digitized photo album of Louis Schicker, a Polar Bear veteran who was a member of the Detroit FD in the 1920's. In addition to some WW I photos, his album also contains some 1920's DFD photos. Here are some samples:

Engine 35 (Beaubien at Mt Vernon)in its glory days (compare to recent photo on the first page of this thread)

Engine 35

On a later page it was mentioned that Engine 39 was one of only two DFD firehouses to have a fireplace. Here's what it looked like.

Engine 39's fireplace

Finally, here is a really old photo of Engine 38.

Engine 38

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2601
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that Engine 37 was the last house that used horses. But Engine 38 clearly had horses. Was that correct in that Engine 37 was the last to use them but not the last house built that used them?

So what are the answers to both questions: last house built to ever use horses and the last house to use them?

Dfd

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are great pictures! Thanks for the post

Dfd

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite a difference (engine 35's house). .......Pretty sad....

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p

Factory fire. Looks like Engine Company No. 1

Larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/detpix/gs3.jpg

Ookpik

Ffdfd

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I thought that Engine 37 was the last house that used horses. But Engine 38 clearly had horses. Was that correct in that Engine 37 was the last to use them but not the last house built that used them?

So what are the answers to both questions: last house built to ever use horses and the last house to use them?

E37 made the last run with horses. Don't know which was the last house built to house horses.

http://pictopia.com/perl/ptp?p rovider_id=220&ptp_photo_id=29 7275

Great photos Mikeg.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 930
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the Firehorse prayer. Thought I'd share it here since we are on the subject.

The Fire Horse's Prayer

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

To thee, my Firefighter Master, I offer my prayer. Feed me, water and care for me, and, when the fire is put out, provide me with shelter, a clean, dry bed and stall wide enough for me to lie down in comfort.
Always be kind to me. Your voice often means as much to me as the reins. Pet me often, so that I may serve you the more gladly and learn to love you. Do not jerk the reins, and do not whip me when going uphill. Never strike, beat, or kick me when I do not understand what you want, but give me a chance to understand you. Teach me gently not to fear the smoke and flames and clanging of the fire bells. Watch me, and if I fail to do your bidding, see if something is not wrong with my harness or feet.

Do not check me so that I cannot have free use of my head. If you insist that I wear blinders, so that I cannot see behind me as it was intended I should, I pray you be careful that the blinders stand well out of my eyes. Do not overload me, or hitch me where water will drip on me. Keep me well shod. Examine my teeth when I do not eat; I may have an ulcerated tooth, and that, you know, is very painful. Do not tie my head in an unnatural position, or take away my best defense against flies and mosquitoes by cutting off my tail.

I cannot tell you when I am thirsty, so give me clean, cool water often. Save me, by all means in your power from that fatal disease - the glanders. I cannot tell you in words when I am sick, so watch me, that by signs you may know my condition. Give me all possible shelter from the hot sun, and put a blanket on me, not when I am working, but when I am standing in the cold. Never put a frosty bit in my mouth; first warm it by holding it a moment in your hands.

I will pull the steamer or hose wagon without a murmur, and wait patiently for you long hours of the day or night as you save lives. Without the power to choose my shoes or path, I sometimes fall on hard pavement which I have often prayed might not be of wood or brick, but of such a nature as to give me safe and sure footing. Remember that I am ready at any moment to lose my life in your service, for I now am also firefighter.

And finally, OH MY FIREFIGHTER FRIEND, when my useful strength is gone, do not turn me out to starve or freeze, or sell me to some cruel owner, to be slowly tortured and starved to death; but do thou, My Friend, take my life in the kindest way, and your God will reward you here and hereafter. You will not consider me irreverent if I ask this in the name of Him who was also born in a stable.

AMEN--Author Unknown

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 931
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The firehorse question was discussed earlier in the thread and I can't find it at the moment. There were 5 horses on that last run down Woodward going to an imaginary fire. About 5000 people showed up along the route to pay tribute. This was all detroitfirefighter.net but the website isn't active anymore (anyone know why?)

Dfd

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've made some posts lately on detroitfirefighters.net forums and it seemed OK.

Dfd

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is one article about the horses. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.publicsafety.net/da lmatian.htm

Mikeg

Post Number: 610
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 6:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Dfd & Ffdfd! I've been wanting to find the time to edit and post those pics ever since I first saw them a week or two ago.

Here is a close up view of Engine 35 and the crew taken at the same time as the other photo.

Engine 35

On this pic you can clearly see the "No 35" on the building over the doors and also a "35" on the side of the seat as well as on the hood of the fire engine (you have to look closely through the light reflection on the hood - it is more evident on the high-res scanned image at the U of M web site).

I'm not an expert on old fire engines, but having just recently sat behind the wheel of an 80 year old American LaFrance, I would guess that this is also an American LaFrance, but slightly older. Note the chain-driven rear axle and what appears to be solid tires on both front and rear.

Here is another old Detroit photo I have recently come across. The caption says: "Joseph Jelsch, in the uniform of the Volunteer Firefighter, 1847".

(Message edited by Mikeg on February 22, 2007)

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 932
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DFF.net is now working fine for me, too. Maybe it was just down for updating last night. I have the 60 years of DFD book and there are tons of great pics in there. I might be able to scan some and post here later on tonight.

Dfd

Post Number: 211
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg and ookpik, thanks for the pictures.
There is a lot of great history on this thread!

Dfd

Post Number: 212
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some good pictures of DFD at work.

http://njfirepictures.smugmug. com/gallery/2467561/1/12942722 9/Medium

Dfd

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey firebrats! Anything new on the Field Day for this year?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2022
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminder: Cheryl Anderson is scheduled to discuss her book "Detroit Firefighters, 1864-Today" at the monthly meeting of the Detroit Society for Genealogical Research on Saturday, March 10, 2pm in the Explorers Room of the main Detroit Public Library. Booksigning to follow. Free to the public.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 949
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't heard anything about Field Day but am working on it. As soon as I know something, I'll post it here.

Dfd

Post Number: 214
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Mikeg and Ookpik, Do you have any more of those old pictures!?

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 953
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just sent another email to the Fireman's Fund folks. The last one came back as undeliverable. If I don't hear anything in a few days, I'll call and find out what is going on with Field Day and how we can go about doing this. We might need to make an announcement on the NEWS calling on all firebrats...
Since the Field Day is a fundraiser type event, we'd have to donate some cash...anyone have any ideas on what we should do to raise funds? Is anyone associated with the DFD on this board going to go to the DY picnic on Belle Isle this year? Would like to meet some of you.

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Field Day will be August 12th. at the
Detroit Zoo. TONY

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 954
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks or the info Tony...now to get the Fund to email me back and let me know what we can do about getting the firebrat thing going. Am working on a design for t-shirts now, although I think I am going to make it a contest for my students--I have great artists in my classes and a few firebrats as well.

Mikeg

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey Mikeg and Ookpik, Do you have any more of those old pictures!?

I've been "mining" the Louis Schicker photo album and since the topic has turned to the upcoming Field Day, here are a couple of photos taken at a DFD "Exhibition", which was held at Ladder Number 5, circa 1917.

placing

"Placing the store. Fire Department Exhibition"

responding

"Making the run and store on fire. Fire Department"

More to come.....

(Message edited by Mikeg on March 10, 2007)

Dfd

Post Number: 215
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher, that's a neat idea about your students! Are any of your students fire brats?

Admin
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 604
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Continue to Firehouses 7