Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » UM Looking for new BB Coach « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 120
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tommy A. is out.......the search begins
Hot mid major coaches will be lining up.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4800
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice guy that had to pick it all up after the Fab Five scandal- but unfortunately he could never recruit well enough and get the team to play at the big dance in March. It's tough to do that when you have an iconic sort of guy like Tom Izzo up the block.

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 416
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I figured this would happen. His recruits weren't that bad, bu frankly his team's constant meltdowns from 13+ point leads( most recent being the ohio state game) were good reasons why he had to go.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 644
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rudy T.

I believe he's presently doing some scouting for the Lakers. I don't know how his health is right now and whether he could handle the stress of being a coach again, but it wouldn't hurt to give him a call.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep today has a squib in the Sports section about the current Oregon coach, Ernie Kent, who has expressed an interest in Michigan. Surprised he allows himself to be quoted at this time since his team is still in the Sweet 16 hunt and plays UNLV this Friday. You normally keep your yap shut til the finals are over.
Kent was on the bubble himself, but now appears to be in better graces with the Oregon Athletic Director since he has taken his team to great heights this year. Kent recruited a Detroit kid ( Hairston) who was on every coaches list, but who chose Oregon.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 212
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If UMs basketball facilities were better the recruits would come easier. The school needs to invest in a new arena.

That is what most of the analyst are saying, and I tend to agree. U of M turned its back on the program and then "really" expected Amaker to make a winner with no support. That was never going to happen.

I know people have a problem with schools putting all this money into sports but in order for U of M to be competitive they have to step up.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 550
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Amaker has to pay for new carpet in his office out of his own pocket, you know there is a problem with the Athletic Department. If LLLLLoyd wants a dozen eggs they would buy him a hen.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 730
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How the mighty have fallen. The search is barely on the national radar and the arrogant mindset that working at UM is this great honor, so their pay doesn't have tobe comparable other programs isn't helping matters

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few suggestions for a Mens basketball coach that would be great fits with the classy Alumni and athletic department of U of M:

Bob Huggins
Jerry Tarkanian
Jim Harrick
Clem Haskins
Dave Bliss
Jim O'Brien

It seems like one of these legendary coaches should be able to carry on the tradition of such an upstanding program.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 347
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another "classy" to post Shulzte1.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright, here is my honest "classy" opinion
Amaker made Michigan basketball respectable again, which is sad for me, an MSU grad. I'd just as soon Brian Ellerbe was still there and Michigan hung around with the Penn States and Northwesterns in the standings where they belong. Instead, Amaker got that program up off the mat, and ran a clean program, with mostly clean players (Daniel Horton was a class act). He left the team not in a total disaster, which is more than the previous 2 coaches could say. This was a silly move, and Michigan basketball will get worse before it gets better now; what a pity!

GO STATE
FROZEN FOUR!!

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1774
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reports are that Legion has de-committed and according to Terry Foster (Take it with a grain of salt) that players and parents are unhappy about being left out of the loop and kept in silent.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 309
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't believe that I've ever heard of any collegiate institution in any sport consulting current players, recruits, or their parents in the process of firing a current coach or selecting his successor.

_sj_

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Surprisingly it happens a lot. UM with Ellerbe, MSU with Bobby Williams.

I don't think they want to be in the process I think they just wants updates to their futures.

Kenp

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Legion has signed his LOI and cant decommit. He can transfer and sit out 2 years or UM can void his LOI. If he truly wants to leave, then UM probably would let him

_sj_

Post Number: 1777
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the NCAA does not governor LOI. In fact certain schools do not require LOI and not signing a LOI does not bar you from a schloarship. It is just a contract between school and athletes. Recruiting is very complicated.

Until he plays for Michigan it is considered a Decommit, afterwards they call it a transfer.

Just a play on words really, probably has to do with grade accounting and so forth.

(Message edited by _sj_ on March 30, 2007)

Kenp

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He cant play this upcoming year or the following year if UM doe not let him out of the "contract".

_sj_

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenp, no that is not correct. That is only if the season had started and then he decides to leave.

When you break your LOI you lose one year of eligibility and have to complete one year of residence at your new school. Which he will complete by attending a new school for the full year.

The one year residence can be waived if UM lets him out of the LOI, but he still loses one year of eligibility.

He can also appeal the school decision and be granted relief.

Kenp

Post Number: 363
Posted on Friday, March 30, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM will let him walk.
Im not sure he will though. The guy sounds like a basket case to me. I just hope we dont lose Harris.

_sj_

Post Number: 1793
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is finally leaving, expected to sign with Kentucky. It was looking early like they were going to leave the door open for this kid and make a huge mistake. Sometimes you need to cut ties with kids like this as soon as possible.

Kenp

Post Number: 453
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

_sj_ I agree with you 100%

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.