Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » Wings Start Playoffs Thursday-How Far Will They Go? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 94
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Red Wings begin the Stanley Cup playoffs Thursday against Calgary. Can they win the cup? What will prevent them from winning their 1st round against the Flames?
I believe if they beat Calgary they have a pretty good shot of making the finals. I'm going to predict Wings in 5 games!Hasek has a point to prove.
Predictions anyone?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 750
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also say Wings in 5. I got tickets to Game 1, so that should be a good indication of how well they will do. If they can beat Vancouver, then I say they have a great shot of winning.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4965
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm confident they'll advance beyond Calgary for now. I'm not making any more predictions beyond round one. I think the team is built a little better for the playoffs this time around. I don't see any high scoring affairs in this series as it's probably going to be a defensive struggle. It'll be a rugged hard fought series that might go six games; Calgary's awfully tough at home but then so's Detroit. Games are literally going to have to be stolen at each other's rinks.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calgary in 6 games

Smogboy

Post Number: 4980
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's it? No explanation?? Awww, c'mon... half the fun of being a fan is the debates and discussions as to why we all make these hairbrained predictions.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They lost to the oilers in 6 last year. Western Canada teams aways give us a problem and we can never seem to get wins on their home ice.

Game 1 Flames Win
Game 2 Wings Win
Game 3 Flames
Game 4 Flames
Game 5 Wings
Game 6 Flames

Babcock better start looking 4 a new job.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4983
Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one saving grace that also holds true is that Calgary has the worst road record of any team in the playoffs as well, Eric... so if it comes down to a seven game series where home ice is an advantage, the Wings should prevail.

And I dunno, there's something about Calgary that doesn't seem as scary as last year's Oilers. They're physical sure, but then so is everyone this time of year. Outside of Iginla, I don't really gasp, ooh or ahh at that much of their firepower. And they also look more dinged up than we are.

I'm also thinking that our team this year is made up a little more differently than last year with the acquisition of guys like Calder and Hopefully Bertuzzi. Again, I'm hopeful.

Scs100

Post Number: 826
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, one down, 15 to go.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4991
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Admittedly I was expecting a much closer game, but then these guys don't exactly look like the WIngs of old in the first round either.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2683
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the new aggressive style of the Wings this year. Had a great time at the game tonight. Go Wings.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4993
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw... seeing as how you were at the game, did it look as sparse as it did on TV by the time the third period rolled around??

I barely remember seeing the Joe this empty.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey hey hockeytown? Illitch best change that song and the center ice

Scs100

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, it was that sparse. I was pretty surprised about that.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2684
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, there was the typical mass exodus with just under 10 minutes left. I don't know why people have to leave at 9:30 PM (so early), even if there is a 3 goal lead.

When everyone was in their seat, it was about 85-90 percent full. I have to think it wasn't an official sellout. In each corner there were about 2-4 rows that no one every showed up for. My seat was third row from the top in a corner. These tops rows (presumably the $63 seats) were filled, but then there was that void of a few rows with no one there right in front of us. If that was called a sellout, they're using fuzzy math.

The attendance in the lower bowl among the season ticket holders was way better than during the regular season.

I think the Wings will win this series in 5 or 6. They have the potential to go all the way.

Scs100

Post Number: 839
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They won't go far if the officiating keeps going the way it has this year. The officials sucked during the second game of Vancouver and Dallas, and there were some pretty shoddy calls during the game last night on both sides. (For Detroit and Calgary)

(Message edited by SCS100 on April 13, 2007)

Chitaku

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone know the song they play at the end of the games? it goes....Red Wings, Red Wings! that's all i can make out on the tv

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 48
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, The wings have the 2 games that I said they would get...Lets see how the do in Calgary

Smogboy

Post Number: 5013
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

51 shots on Kipper? Compared to how many versus Dom? These two last games have truly shocked me; I thought it'd be a little closer than what's happened.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 389
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not a sellout for gamne one: 19,204 was the official attendance.

Game 2 looked much more full from TV... Haven't seen the official numbers though

Smogboy

Post Number: 5014
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it possible that the Wings are actually generating momentum going into the next few games with the likes of Todd Bertuzzi coming back?

Smogboy

Post Number: 5015
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mathieu Schnieder got off ten shots in the game yesterday. TEN! That's more than what some guys get over three games!

Scs100

Post Number: 873
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's also 2/3 of the shots Calgary had. That is pathetic.

Pdtpuck
Username: Pdtpuck

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention all of the stupid penalties Calgary took in game #2!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell was that crap?! I don't know if it was the CBC (horribly biased) announcers on VS, or just me looking for something to blame the loss on, but it sure seemed to me the Wings got several penalties called on them that were sissy little things while the Flames had an obvious hold at one point, among a couple others, that NEVER got called. Interference on Markov after a whiff threw him off balance? Come on.

I did NOT like that game. I thought we played well, good enough to win, but Calgary was gifted a couple penalties that they converted into goals. I thought Lidstrom had an iffy game as well.

I didn't expect a sweep, but this one really pissed me off. Those god-damn Canadian broadcasters just pissed me off even more.

Scs100

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim Hughson or Bob Cole need to broadcast for a game to sound good on that network.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not gonna even comment on that POS effort. Our power play BLOWS. Penalty kill is soft. Hasek is not playing playoff goal. Too many penalties again.

Calgary wanted these last two. They got it. Wings looked slow and sloppy, like they can't wait to get back to Detroit.

If we keep this up, we're F'd again.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 813
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting blog on Hasek from a reporter at Canada's Sportsnet network:

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs /jim_kelley/2007/04/20/vintage _hasek/

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 423
Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great game today. Loved Cleary's and Chelios's precession goals. I hope we can finish this series off, especially from those cheap shots at the end(McLennan and Ingina looking in your direction)

The recap on yahoo sports said many seats in the upper bowl were empty. What's going on with that?

Jerome81

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Cleary is a stud. I'm glad to see we didn't get sucked into the crap Calgary was trying to get us into (Iginla admitted he was trying to draw a fight).

I hope they hand out suspension, but I doubt it. I also hope Lebda is okay.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Cleary is a stud. I'm glad to see we didn't get sucked into the crap Calgary was trying to get us into (Iginla admitted he was trying to draw a fight).

I hope they hand out suspension, but I doubt it. I also hope Lebda is okay.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5042
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of me wonders how effective it is sending out a suspension to a back-up goalie. Not that he didn't deserve it but he probably rarely plays anyway- and especially behind a goalie like Kiprusoff. Ten games PLUS a huge fine to the McLennan and Playfair wouldn't be unfounded. Hit them where it hurts- in their wallet. Iginla I lost a lot of respect for with his antics; he's a much better player than that bush league crap he was trying to pull. I'm wondering if there's going to be any conclusive evidence of a butt end to Schneider. If there is, suspend him as well. Play hard but never play too dirty.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2709
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Schneider's been getting some cheap calls against him, and has gotten beaten up by Calgary at the same time.

McLennan is a hack. That is a move from a movie or something. Suspend him.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5043
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to think McLennan's a guy who won the Masterson Trophy a few years back too.

I think this is where the coach gets to be called up on the carpet. There was some incidental contact in the front of the net by Franzen but surely not enough to warrant two hacks and then the big BC two-hander to the gut (after the whistle too). This just speaks of a loose cannon in McLennan and screams of a coach's strategy to send in a goon.

Playfair's logic stunk to high heaven here. Things like keeping Iginla on the ice when it's 5-1 made no sense. He's lost control of the team and needs to be held somewhat accountable for his players' actions. The NHL needs to fine him senseless and if I were Flames' management, I'd pink slip him ASAP.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5044
Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Five games for McLennan- which means NOTHING. So the Flames bring in another doorman to open the gates for their team. $25K to Playfair and $100K to the organization, which is probably tops as far as what the NHL could levy against them. I still wouldn't have minded seeing McLennan getting tapped in the wallet for this but I'm hoping it sends a message to teams about late in the game stupidity. It was appalling gamesmanship and I think it's another black eye on the NHL.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1371
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go Wings! Franzen gets sweet revenge!

I hope Holmey is okay. I hear he went to the hospital. I hope it is just a precaution to get an eye checked out.

Kipper, I gotta give that guy props. He is AMAZING. He kept Calgary in this far far longer than they should have been. Bring him to hockeytown next season!!! :D

Go Dallas! Let Anaheim and San Jose kill each other and we'll take the leftovers :-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2712
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Wings!

I also would like to see Dallas win. Marty Turco is the shit.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5048
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really nice to see the Wings get a gritty lung-it-out sort of game like this. I'm sure after pummeling Kiprusoff with all of those shots and nothing to show for it, there must've been some mind games to be played internally. Kudos to Hasek too for keeping his edge on between the droughts. It was really nice to see the team work so hard an come away with a victory in a tightly contested hockey game.

Calgary played a solid game tonight (unlike the night before which was a total embarrassment) but they were just outmatched with firepower and depth. And the arena there looked like an electric place to be a fan too. I think the JLA fans need to look there and be ashamed; what enthusiasm and unity displayed.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5049
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericdetfan- how would you like that plate of crow to be served up?

Bold prediction but alas it was unfounded. Sorry.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to ask where this effort was in game 3 and game 4?

It was a tale of two teams.

Zetterberg looked great last night and him and Datsyuk were cycling the puck with a renewed energy. Instead of getting squeezed out from the play by defenders, they continued to cycle, switch directions along the boards and create opportunities. Furthermore, they were causing turnovers by the flames or stealing the puck on poor breakouts.

Big games from Cleary, Hasek, Markov, Calder and Bertuzzi. Typical (hard fought) games from Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstom and Draper. The jury is still out for me on Lang and Samuelson.

How did Langkow get away with that Bull $hit punch to the face of Lebda, and not get fined or suspended???!!!!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5051
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkshreve, I think the effort was there for games #3 & #4, but look at the scores of those games (very close scores!) and look at how Calgary scored their goals. They pretty much beat us on two nights worth of 5 on 3's. It's awfully tough for a team to overcome that many penalties. Fortunately we still came out ahead in the 5th & 6th game.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

screw the flames.... i'm glad they're in the rear view mirror

Smogboy

Post Number: 5054
Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Onward. San Jose huh? Let's get ready to rumble.

(personally I was hoping for the Stars)

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very proud of the boy's I didn't think they had it in them. I still don't think they have what it takes to win the cup, though. They have, in my opinion; an equallly tough series comming up against San Jose. Their record against SJ during the regular season is 0-3-1...yuk

Wings better shut down Marleau, Cheechoo, and Thornton or this will be a 5 game series in the sharks' favor.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn. I think the entire city (and probably all wings fans in general) were pulling for Dallas. Oh well. Over and done.

With that said, I went to both sharks games in San Jose this season, and the Wings looked STUPID out there. San Jose wiped them all over the ice, setting or tying all kinds of records the Wings should not be proud of. It was straight up ugly.

With that said, we were definitely not so tough back then (the last game against SJ must have been in January if I'm remembering correctly) and San Jose pushed us around, finished checks, and made us take stupid penalties. After that Calgary series, we will NOT do either of those again.

I felt pretty good about our chances with Calgary, not so much against San Jose. This matchup just makes me nervous. I know we can do it, we are just as good (unlike Anaheim and Vancouver, where the Ducks should wipe em all over the ice) as San Jose, but there cannot be any lapses in any game, or the Sharks will jump all over us. Unlike Calgary, they will probably steal one at the Joe too, which means we are gonna have to win one at the Shark Tank. That place is INSANE. It might just be the most intimate, stacked from ice to ceiling, loudest arena I've ever been in, and the Sharks fans are truly fanatics, drooling to send the Wings home. But assuming the refs call it fair, I believe Calgary gave us a good test, a hard arena in which to win, and we took that one.

I see ESPN is already calling Sharks in 7. Not unlike a lot of calls for Calgary winning. This will be tougher, but as long as we don't get pushed around like our early season, I really like this matchup a lot. Nabakov is a very good goalie, but if we eventually got through Kippr, we can get through Nabby. He is no slouch, but he is no Kippr either.

This will be fun. Roomy is a diehard Sharks fan. Should be a very entertaining week and a half :-)

Go Wings!

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 483
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll lose - again, then everyone will start paying attention to the Pistons - again.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Points Jerome-

If we can keep the pressure on the goalies with 30-50 shots on goal a game, then Nabakov will let enough slip through. Kipper was an outstanding goalie (probably the toughest we'll see). I don't think we'll have to deal with his miraculous like saves this round.

Yes, I was rooting for Dallas, but we might as well deal with a tough team now in hopes that we can have a breather in round three (pipe dream).

I also agree that we are a much different and better team from what we had in the regular season. What's even more reassuring is how our team has adapted to several situations through the first series. We were taking dumb penalties and those slowed down. Dom is staying in net and freezing the puck more often. We are staying in front of the goalie, but not drawing obvious interference penalties (except awful calls).

I think our number one worry will be Thornton and his ability to make great plays. We can shut down cheechoo and marleau, but joe thornton will be playing tough and selfless to get the puck in the net. He is truly a great player and needs to be neutralized.

It has always boggled my mind how wings opponents continue to block shot after shot, but we do not reciprocate the effort. How many deflections has Dom let past this year. When the puck gets through from the point, it will always try to be deflected. I can't count the number of screened and deflected shots Dom has had no chance with all year. We need to lay the bodies down and take their opportunities away.

Finally, our bench needs to carry momentum into this next round. Players like Filpulla, Hudler, Cleary and Lang need to be a presence.

Wings in 6 -- again!

Eric_w

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I was off one game. The Wings did okay. Against San Jose many aren't giving them much of a chance but I feel it's a toss up.
Against Calgary what stuck out in my mind was the Wings initiating hits. Usually it was them getting banged around. They actually wore the Flames down with their physical play.
Over the long haul the travel is going to be a killer. The next two rounds will by require playing a lot on the West coast.They'll be racking up a lot Frequent Flyer miles.

Eric_w

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another note on Calgary Series- I really was pleasantly surprised with the play of Andreas Lilja. I think his play was huge in the whole series in the absence of Kronwall- Markov too but Lilja was big.

Scs100

Post Number: 939
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope to god we face Vancouver in the conference finals if we win. I'm watching the Ducks/Canucks game right now and the atmosphere in the Honda Center is terrible. GM Place is a lot more exciting to watch a game.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2730
Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One the other hand, you see how such an environment can buy a team some wins (i.e. games 3 and 4 in Calgary).

Wings will beat SJ in 7. Hoping for a good start tomorrow when I'm there (in good seats this time!)

Jerome81

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching the Ducks/Canucks, and I agree, those Anaheim fans seemed like they were bored to death.

I couldn't believe it. I've never seen a 2nd round NHL playoff game that dead, at least not when you're team is winning.

Anaheim is good. Damn good. I could see them winnin the whole thing. Its too bad nobody will care.

With that said, Vancouver can look forward to an environment where Anaheim might have a tough time winning. I wouldn't say the Honda Center is providing the Ducks with much home ice advantage.

Go Wings!

Scs100

Post Number: 956
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2-0 already? What is going on?

Scs100

Post Number: 961
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huge win today. 3-2 come from behind win, with Datsyuk and Zetterberg both scoring.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5072
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good gritty performance. They could've folded up like a cheap house of cards but instead they fought back hard and pulled out a nice NICE win. It's nice to see that Never Say Die attitude and overcome some early adversity. After the second goal by the Sharks I thought we were doomed but they surprised me by taking the play to them. If Detroit can maintain an aggressive stance against most of these teams, their physical size differential isn't going to be as effective as opposed to a conservative style- look at what they did in Calgary.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's hope they carry a load of confidence into San Jose with them. That win needed to happen he way it did. Now that Nabby has been beat, I think the flood gates can and will open. As long as Zett's back stays strong, we should see some exciting hockey.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan the man strikes again!

Jerome81

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Jeez!

That could be it. That might be the turning point. The difference between 3-1 and 2-2 is just that much.

Fill up the Joe on Saturday. Cheer on my behalf. I'll be screamin my butt off here in CA.

Go Wings!!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5095
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about an exciting game with the Wings winning it in OT.

These two teams are really fiesty. They really seem to mirror one another in so many aspects. Whoever (and I'm hoping Wings) comes out of this series has really earned it. It's been very evenly matched at times.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY! Glad the Wings won. I can't take these late night games though. I was asleep before the game even started. Sadly, if we get past this round it's another west coast time zone match up.

Tkshreve

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bertuzzi and Lang looked flat the entire game. Getting trapped behind the opposing net, giveaways, not skating back to cover the shark breaks and errant passes resulting in turnovers. It is amazing that we put their line out against Thornton's line and got a win from it.

But then Lang nets a huge goal which completely redeems him. I will not hide the fact that Lang had 4-5 chances last night to net the puck, but he sure picked a time to convert. I just can't figure out if I like him or not when he does things like this.

Other areas where the Wings were not performing have to do with the break out. We are overpushing the puck to the wingers who break the puck out. It typically gets reinserted into our zone from a pinching shark defenseman. What happened to all the nifty between the legs touch passes to the slot where an alone Red Wing starts an unabated break out? We can't find room to break out like we did all season. The Sharks have been preying on our weak break out this entire series, which have directly led to transitional goals where Dom has little chance to make a save. Perhaps they need to slow it up, IOW, start to move it out, but when aggressed, flip it back to a safe defender behind the net with room? Bottom line, we are trying to get the puck out under heavy Shark pressure, and I don't think we necessarily need to do this.

Dominic Hasek was wonderful in goal. He has proved himself as a playoff goalie once again. He has justified his unorthodox style of play, and he has also cut down on his risky plays (except one in particular last night) by freezing the puck slightly more often.

One final note -- The Red Wings SHOULD be dominating this series for multiple reasons.

-- How many posts have we hit compared to the Sharks? Think of the swing there. Advantage - Sharks

-- The Sharks are getting power plays from questionable calls on the wings. The Sharks are recieving automatic calls for delays (puck over the glass), but few standard infractions. Many obvious San Jose calls are no-calls. Too many men on the ice when the Sharks scored which should have been a must call!!! IMO - the Sharks have the better side of the puck in the officiating. Advantage - Sharks

-- The wings goals have been solid hockey player goals that beat Nabakov rightfully so. The Sharks have gotten some pretty fluky goals. Each team has had its fair share of deflected goals. Advantage - Sharks

-- Injuries affecting the team as a whole:
WINGS = Kronwall / Lebda / Zetterberg / Bertuzzi / Holmstrom
SHARKS= Cheechoo / ???? is that it???
ADVANTAGE - Sharks

-- Size - Advantage - Sharks

(Message edited by Tkshreve on May 03, 2007)

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tk, that damn Cheechoo has been amazing in this series. I hardly ever noticed him before this series.

Just curious....anyone know the origin of the surname "Cheechoo"????? Maybe his father was a locomotive.......

Tkshreve

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Cheechoo has been turning it up against our Wings. That one-timer from Thornton was a beautiful shot that Dom really didn't have a chance with. Plus he's strong down low and grinds it out.

Supposedly he was silent his first 6 games, and then decided to turn it up against us. A knee injury with a predator may have been the reason for this.

Gr8 WIN for the Wings last night!!!!

BTW - no idea where that name comes from so i'll give you my bail out answer - Canadian?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 864
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a hockey fan, but I have a question. Is it traditional, throughout the sport, that when a goal is scored, the announcer screams "Scores!!..." in the most high-pitched, girly voice possible, or is this just a local flavor?

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 449
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hehehe, thats just our lovely Ken Kal!!! Its is quite the goal scoring call...

I HATE that I cant watch these damn versus games...

Scs100

Post Number: 971
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike Emryck (spelling?) does that as well, from what I've heard while watching games on NBC.

Eric_w

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they took Calgary in six and are tied with San Jose after their gutty come from behind game 4 win in O/T. They've showed some heart & guts so far-I'll bet more than people gave the credit for.
Hoping they win today and close it out in six then it's the Ducks

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 455
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, and he doesnt just do it on goals. That just seems to be his commentating voice. Crazy

Scs100

Post Number: 978
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He won the award for best commentator from Hockey Digest 2 years ago. Can't be that bad. I still prefer Jim Hughson on CBC though.

Eric_w

Post Number: 160
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday's game 5 Detroit 4 San Jose 1
one more boys
GO WINGS!

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 457
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stadium actually looked full today too....and a bit louder than it has been. well done. GO WINGS

Smogboy

Post Number: 5102
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The WIngs looked hungry & determined. After Hasek let that first soft one in, he looked bound and determined to win this game as well. The Wings were patient and countered very well especially in the neutral zone. Thronton & Cheechoo weren't as much of a thorn as they've been the majority of the series; the guys on defense had some more help from the forwards on the strong side dropping down to help as well.

The goalie play is critical as of no. After Nabokov's gaff on being indecisive and the Datsyuk goal, he never really seemed to maintain that composure. If that was Hasek coming out, I think he would've been MUCH more aggressive (much to the chagrin of most of the folks watching) and poked the puck away from the forward.

The loss of Schneider will hurt but then the majority of the Detroit offense today was down without his presence as well, so I have faith that this team can weather the loss. All Darren Meech has to do is come in and play some solid safe defensive minutes for us the next game and I think we should be okay. The forwards' play has been very impressive.

Scs100

Post Number: 981
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ Summarizes the entire game.

Loved that Datsyuk goal. Easy as they come. Right before that goal, when Datsyuk was coming down, I thought back to 2002 when Yzerman did the same thing to Johnson in the St. Louis series. Blocked it and scored. Funny how the mind works. Hopefully Schneider isn't out too long.

Scs100

Post Number: 982
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to CBC, Schneider is out for the remainder of the playoffs with a broken wrist.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a game.

I hope can keep this up. I believe if we can, we can beat Anaheim and have a real legit shot at the cup.

Should that happen, I honestly believe we'll look back at game 4 and view it as the turning point. When the Wings finally discovered that they can come back and beat anyone. That they're really good enough to beat anyone, no matter who they are or if they're down a few goals.

Having that mindset, that you believe you can do it, is really the biggest difference maker in any championship sports. The Wings got it.

Hopefully we'll catch an (well-rested) Anaheim team that comes out soft, after having two relatively "easy" series to get to the conference finals. Sharks or Wings, Anaheim is going to have to bring it, cause both those teams have had to fight through a lot to get where they are.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5106
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Western Conference really stinks when it comes to travelling compared to the Eastern Conference. This strikes me of why the Wings need to be in the Eastern so much after this series. Look at how much mileage the Western teams have had to endure so far jetting back & forth.

Ottawa to New Jersey... big deal; Buffalo to New York... pfft.

Scs100

Post Number: 990
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 6:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wings in 6 over Ducks.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 363
Posted on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we'll see Lebda back before Meech plays any. Is Kronwall definitely finished for the year?

Smogboy

Post Number: 5113
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing I've noticed over the last few days when the Sharks lose is that their coach Ron Wilson likes to toss his players under the bus or calls them out. In so many words, he blamed Nabokov for misplaying the Datsyuk goal, already has called out Marleau and is probably glad that Guerin is injured.

Whatever happened to a team concept? I'm thankful that the Wings still seem somewhat cohesive. If anyone is lacking, I'm sure they're the first ones to be self critical of themselves already; just take a look at Robert Lang & Todd Bertuzzi- they know they need to perform at a higher level. They don't need their coach berating them in the press.

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 469
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bring on Anaheim!

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very proud indeed of my wings...

Ducks in 7.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 584
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very inspiring performance my Dominic Hasek tonight. He's proving everyone (myself included) wrong, for writing him off at the start of the season.

Smogboy

Post Number: 5117
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hot dang! Another stellar prediction from Ericdetfan (Calgary in 6 and Sharks in 5)... we're almost guaranteed the Cup now.

Are you sure you shouldn't change your handle to EricNONdetfan?

Sorry for the ribbing but it's bold predictions like that that have probably fueled this team to where it's at now. After several first round exits, look at how many pundits picked them to bail again and yet the Wings have proven most resilient. Dominik Hasek still has some fire left in his belly and something to prove it seems. The Wings, while physically smaller seemed to have found ways to beat the other bigger teams; instead of imposing their wills with their raw talent in the pre-salary cap days where they could go buy enough talent to overwhelm most people- they've been patient and have solved what the other team presents. This is a much more tactical and grind it out sort of team compared to the finesse teams of late.

Bravo to the Wings.

Jerome81

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Even I wasn't sure they'd be able to make it this far! Always rootin but kinda prepared for the usual early round letdown.

After this series, I believe they know they can beat anyone. Which they'll need to beat Anaheim. I would have been nervous playing Anaheim before the SJ series. Not anymore. Few things. Anaheim has been not really been "tested". Babcock knows the players, especially the goalie. We got home ice and for once, I think the Joe should be full (hope I'm right). I like the way this is setting up. I like the way Dom keeps getting BETTER, and how Chelios seems to keep getting YOUNGER. I like the grit, Bertuzzi is looking pretty good, I like the way just about everyone is playing on this team.

I now believe we have a real legit shot at this whole stinkin thing! It is great to see. And it is great to see us doing it in today's league with a mix of young and old.

Oh, and I think being picked against fuels this team. I'm glad to see it happening again. Kinda reminds me of the Tigers last season. Everyone picked against em. They loved that fuel. The Wings feel the same way, and they now BELIEVE (after game 4) that they can beat anyone.

Bring it on!

OH, and since we all have to make a prediction, Wings in 6. Ottawa in 7 over Buffalo.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 499
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Babcock better start looking 4 a new job."
- ERICDEFAN

Eric_w

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well the Wings shut out the Sharkies and took the series 4 to 2. Lots of pundits picked San Jose: They were bigger-tougher-rougher-the Wings weren't tough enough etc... Well so far the so-called experts have been wrong. The Ducks will be tough & the Wings have a tough road but if they can maintain their momentum they have a real shot. The defense is weaker no doubt without Schneider.
Mikael Sammuelsson's 2 goals were beauties.His second was especially sweet, top shelf on the short side-that was a sniper's goal. Reminded me of the likes of Lanny MacDonald,Mickey Redmond,Guy Lafleur and others.
How many are surprised by their wins the first two rounds?

Scs100

Post Number: 995
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great series overall.

Wings in 6.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol hey I keep betting on the other team and the wings come out winners...there was a time when I thought that they could beat anyone, but after the years of 1st round exits has really soured me.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,

You hit the nail on the head. If the NHL want Western teams, put them in the West! Sell franchises. Whatever.

The Wings should be on the East coast.

Or play all the games on the east coast schedule!

James

Scs100

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current schedule is supposed to stay in effect until the end of next year. After that, anything is possible. I'm sorry, but the idea of realigning the conferences is ridiculous (unless you do north-south). Detroit or Columbus to the East, Atlanta to the West? That doesn't make any sense. Should do a North-South format with the Mason-Dixon line as the divider (bend it a little if needed).

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, living here in Vegas, I'm glad the Wings are in the western division because it gives me a lot more of their games on TV than if they were in an eastern loop. That's a terribly selfish statement, and I hang my head in shame to ya all.

Nah, maybe I won't..............

Eric_w

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"lol hey I keep betting on the other team and the wings come out winners...there was a time when I thought that they could beat anyone, but after the years of 1st round exits has really soured me."
Eric-quick lay a buck or two on the Ducks!

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 372
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Should do a North-South format with the Mason-Dixon line as the divider (bend it a little if needed).

So everyone shares the pain of crossing time zones frequently?

Not gonna happen...

Scs100

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. But still can wish for it. :-)

Jerome81

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not do a north-south (everyone shares travel), but group the divisions closer together?

Similar to today, but instead of matching up against a bunch of western teams and playing the blues, hawks, and jackets all the time, put Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Columbus, and Toronto. Then they'd all have to share in the long road trips instead of Detroit and Columbus getting screwed while nobody else has to fly very far.

The problem is the "north" league will still have all the loaded teams, while the "south" league will produce a bunch of crap. Same number of playoff spots and you'd leave out a bunch of great north teams while a bunch of garbage south teams make the playoffs. the Finals would be a slaughter.

The NHL should not have expanded as much as it did. Thats what created the problem.

I heard Atlanta Braves regular season games out drew the Thrashers-Rangers series in Atlanta. Ouch. You don't think the same might happen in Phoenix? Or Florida? Or Tampa Bay?

Scs100

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The problem is the "north" league will still have all the loaded teams, while the "south" league will produce a bunch of crap."

Let me get this straight. You are calling Dallas, Anaheim, Atlanta, San Jose, Tampa Bay, and Carolina crap? With the possible exception of Carolina, all of these teams are really good.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 373
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I heard Atlanta Braves regular season games out drew the Thrashers-Rangers series in Atlanta. Ouch. You don't think the same might happen in Phoenix? Or Florida? Or Tampa Bay?

...or DETROIT?

On Saturday April 28, Tigers vs Twins drew 39,547--more than double the 19,113 who saw the Wings vs Sharks

Scs100

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larger baseball stadiums do help...

Scs100

Post Number: 1010
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a great game tonight. Two fluke goals. This is shaping up to becoming a great series.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 591
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit got outplayed pretty strong last night, but Dom was there to save the night. A win is a win. Let's take 2!

Smogboy

Post Number: 5143
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homer gets hammered and yet comes back to help the Wings win 5-0. I don't see the Duckies going away that easily though. They've got a few injuries on their side as well but I respect Randy Carlyle enough to know he's got his gears grinding to think of a way to beat us. I'm hoping Mike Babcock is tinkering and fine tuning as well. Dom- you've been great!

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 911
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 7:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Pronger ends up getting something for his part of that. That one sent shivers down my spine. I was surprised to see Homer back-
and then to add an assist to his night!

Homer sure had a rough time keeping his helmet on last night!

Upinottawa

Post Number: 836
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More on the Pronger hit....

From Canada's Sportsnet.ca:

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs /jim_kelley/2007/05/16/put_pro nger_on_ice/

From Canada's TSN.ca:

http://www.tsn.ca/tsn_talent/c olumnists/bob_mckenzie/

Chitaku

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that was an illegal cheap shot and that dick deserves to be suspended like Robert Horry was

Upinottawa

Post Number: 837
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone found video on the web of the Pronger hit? Could someone post it?

Smogboy

Post Number: 5145
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://espn.go.com/

has video footage of it, but for how long I'm not sure. They usually just show video highlights from the night before so fi anyone wants to see it, click soon.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 383
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pronger has been suspended for Game 4.

Scs100

Post Number: 1022
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank god.

Upinottawa

Post Number: 847
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if this has been posted, but what is the hockey link between Detroit, Canada and the number 7?

I will post the answer tomorrow if no one figures it out before then (Ron MacLean mentioned this the other night).

Scs100

Post Number: 1036
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ottawa has just beaten Buffalo. 3-2 in OT.

Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 387
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Delayed post from Sunday afternoon:

UGH!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.