Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » McCarty Looks like Hell « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That guy looks awful. Sickly. Beat up. Washed up. I love McCarty. Always will. But man does he look like his body is just finished.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070412/BLO G07/70412034

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's just the goofy 'do.

See http://commons.wikimedia.org/w iki/Image:Darren_McCarty_-_Cal gary_Flames.jpg
or
http://blog.calgaryflames.com/ blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/0 4/mccartyhs_100.jpg

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheesh, the ravages of time are cruel! I miss him. He gave us some great minutes and always played with a lot of heart. He was our only 'Detroit' player [okay from Leamington, but that counts and made him special in my book.]

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a commercial for the versus network that was on TV last night, they showed his series-winning goal during game 4 of the '97 cup finals. I was sitting at the bar watching it and suddenly felt real happy and nostalgic. My GF, who moved recently from Connecticut and wouldn't know the difference between Darren McCarty and JP McCarthy, looks over at me and says, "what are you smiling about?".

I guess I didn't realize how much I enjoyed that little moment.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4995
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we ALL enjoyed that little moment when Mac scored.

He was truly Joe Lunchbucket who had to work hard every shift he was on the ice. He was by no means one of the talented elite, but he was important when it counted.

To hear he was a healthy scratch the other night vs. the Wings was sad. I'm sure it ate him up inside to know he wouldn't be skating on the JLA ice in an important game.

As far as the hair-do? UGH. He was no looker by any stretch and that ridiculous hair-do only make him look that much fuglier.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That hairdo is pathetic. I believe McCarty could have been a much better player had he dedicated himself to taking better care of himself and working on his game. I would not be surprised someday if he looks back and wistfully realizes he cheated himself. I think he was too caught up in being Darren " Mac " McCarty the Hockey player/personality/singer instead of "Darren McCarty Hockey Player"

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5022
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Mac doesn't get his life together (financially & substance abuse issues), I can see him almost becoming this generation's version of Bob Probert- Red Wing legend in so many ways and yet never got it together enough to be a part of the inner ranks of the Red Wings.

We'll never forget these players for certain aspects of their game but that's where they'll end up. They might show up for an alumni game or maybe do a stray autograph signing is about the extent of their fame years from now.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 812
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or if you are Probert, do the occasional roughing up of the Ontario Provincial Police....

Tkangas_23
Username: Tkangas_23

Post Number: 15
Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best Red Wings moment ever....

McCarty beats the piss out of Claude Lemieux at the drop of the puck, on the opening face off, after claude's dirty play on Draper the previous game.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.