Discuss Detroit » DISCUSS DETROIT! » ::: DetroitYES Sports Forum ::: » Detroit Sports Archive » Why keep Sheff as full-time DH? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's a little early in the season, but I was just thinking that it might be a good idea to get Sheff in the outfield more often. He really seemed to respond to being in the field yesterday with a hit and two walks. Why not have him and Maggs split time in RF more often? It doesn't really even have to be a 50/50 arrangement; maybe twice a week?

Just spitballing here.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2687
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. Magglio isn't exactly the best fielding outfielder, and it would always help to rest him, too. As long as the players are okay with switching off, then I say do it. Can Sheff play leftfield? Monroe is fine out there but we also rotate him into the DH spot.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently he can, or at least Leyland thinks so. I read somewhere that Monroe's getting tonight off and Sheff is starting in LF.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1970
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a bad idea, rotate the whole bunch of them, except Granderson, Maggs, Sheff, Monroe, and Thames.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Sheff used to play 1st every now and then in NY because he sucked so bad at everything else? Or was it that the Yankees just had somebody better than Sheff for everything but 1st base?

Maybe I'm just talkin out my ass here. Personally, if he can cover it, get him some field time. You know Maggs is gonna pull something at some point this season.

Rugbyman

Post Number: 99
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They moved him over to first after they picked up Bobby Abreu. Abreu's younger, faster and has a better arm. It's pretty much understood that Sheff hated first base, although he said that he'd play anywhere for Leyland.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5027
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rugbyman- that's the magic that's Jim Leyland.

I just love the fact that all of these egos and multi-million dollar players are willing to go through the wall for the man.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's older and slower, and his several shoulder injuries have doubtless degraded his arm, but Sheffield entered the majors as a shortstop.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 829
Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheffield is a very irritating person, in my eyes. He is also one of the most accomplished, professional hitters in today's game, and regarding his abilities in the outfield, I really doubt that he could be any scarier than Ordonez. However, Ordonez was sought out, hired, and paid to play in the outfield, and Sheffield was sought out, traded for, and paid to be the DH. That point may not be such a big deal to us, but I think it matters, quite a bit, to Leyland, so I don't think we will be seeing Sheffield in the outfield very often. He admits that he is experiencing some difficulty with settling into the DH role, but I figure that he will adapt to it, and as long as he is able to play, this career .297 hitter will provide the service for which he was obtained. The reason why I say he is irritating? Sheffield is rapturously stuck on himself. As much as he loves using the pronoun "I," you would think he was a rap performer. He seems to see himself as the best player on the team, no matter what team he is on. Sometimes, all that ego and self-aggrandizing is part of being a top-level performer, but a little fucking humility never killed anyone, either. He wasn't the top player on the Yankees-- Jeter is-- and, as long as Ivan Rodriguez is wearing a Tiger uniform, he's not the top player on the Tigers, either. Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I will state that I have a lot of respect for Sheffield as a hitter, and I wish the media guys would stop apologizing for his raggedy start by insulting us, and him, with all their talk about, "Well, his Batting Average hasn't really taken off yet, but he's gotten some key Bases On Balls." Shut the fuck up. We know that he wasn't brought here to collect Walks. He knows it. Leyland knows it. Everybody knows it. It is an offense to the guy's dignity to sit there and say that kind of shit. On the other hand, it IS great to finally have a guy who knows how to draw a damned Walk... I'm like, just, you know, I'm just SAYIN.'

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.