Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through November 07, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetal, I can understand that.
One more question, if I may. Is Bongman really currently listening to 563 Bob Dylan selections?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3139
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about anybody else, but I am, as I type, listening to a long Los Lobos playlist on iTunes. Good Morning Aztlan is playing RIGHT NOW.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1666
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm rediscovering the beauty of 90's east coast hip hop, particularly the work of Pete Rock and his collaborators. Good times.

Winstin_o_boogie_iii
Username: Winstin_o_boogie_iii

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radio Crazy, Swiss, streams old time jazz http://www.swissradio.ch/en/in dex.htm

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5108
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Killing Joke's Love Like Blood. Too bad the damned thing is live and not studio. Love how Cobain ripped off the guitar riff from Eighties though.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 665
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today: 12 Tribes

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3375
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is this thread really about telling everyone what you are actually listening to, or is it another edition of "Hipper Than Thou?""

If it is a Hipper than Thou contest, I probably should have kept the Hall & Oates comment to myself.

The_ed

Post Number: 666
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is this thread really about telling everyone what you are actually listening to, or is it another edition of "Hipper Than Thou?""

If it is a Hipper than Thou contest, I probably should have kept the Hall & Oates comment to myself.

Not at all Johnlodge, as long as it's vintage Hall & Oates

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2473
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still want to write a book that starts as thus: Do you remember that Hall and Oates album? When they are sitting on that couch, with those leather pants on? I remember thinking that was just the coolest thing, God everything was right with the world. Until I found out that the one guy was gay and the other one was 4' nothing.... and that pretty well summed up my next few years dating, no one was what I thought they were.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3378
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Carol. I like it.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swear to God, and I did not mean to offend anyone out there...enough said.

I'll let you know when the book comes out. I'll do my Liberty Leading the People tour.

The_ed

Post Number: 674
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

H & O

This one freaked me out!

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 863
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought they were both gay

The_ed

Post Number: 675
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me too

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to jack this thread (or anything else, God knows,) but to my ears, Hall & Oates' music is some of the finest, and most enduring, commercially successful (and therefore, recognized) R&B of the past thirty years. If one, or both, of them is as gay as a Christmas carol, that's cool by me. Also, that particular LP cover struck me, also, as looking pretty dang gay, at the time, but it's worth keeping in mind the fact that, for a while back then in the late seventies, it was fairly common-- for reasons which I never quite understood-- for pop artists to go for a kind of makeup-wearing, airbrushed look. (Probably, we can place much of the blame on David Bowie, but that may be simplistic.)
I acknowledge the fact that nobody, here, was razzing Daryl & John about their look or their possible homosexuality. I just meant to register a "me too" to the above praise for them, and to offer that reminder regarding their Maybellinic look on that LP jacket.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 432
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a pretty good time at a Hall & Oates concert in Detroit maybe 12 years ago? Went with a friend who had free tics and we smiled all night. Anyway, playing on my radio would be Bryan Ferry, Avalon.

Wfw
Username: Wfw

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fury13, you mentioned Sofia Rotaru? Wow, I didn't know anyone else had actually heard of her. I have a couple of 7-inch, 33rpm EPs on Melodiya that I picked up at a thrift store a few years back. Very interesting stuff.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3151
Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daryl Hall is one of the all time great blue eyed soul singers.

I will be listening to Bruce Springsteen, all the time, at least for the next couple of weeks. Just got home from the concert, so wonderful, so amazing, nothing else comes close.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 616
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw Bruuuce! in Toronto a couple of weeks ago and would have been in Detroit tonight but we have fundraising at the radio station where I host a show Monday nights.
I played these and more-
Perth County Conspiracy- a few tracks from one of their 3 live releases
Johnny Cash- Sugartime
Roy Orbison Brown Eyed Handsome Man line in Odessa, TX '57
Ventures- Swamp Rock
Area Code 615 Classical Gas
Good Brothers-Live lp- Dead Flowers & The Rabbit- I saw one of the Good Brothers join the Sadies at the Horseshoe Saturday night...
Hank Williams II- Live- Family Tradition

Eric Mercury-I Can Smell That Funky Music
Eddie Kendricks- Keep On Truckin'
Miracles-Live lp- More Love
Martin Stevens, Carla Whitney & Sweet Blindness on the Toronto/ Canadian 70's disco & funk tip, more Canadian stuff, Eddie Hazel, Sharon Jones, Marva Whitney, 3rd Generation Band 'Because of Money' from Ghana Soundz, This Hustling World by Gyedu Blay-Ambolley, some 12" blank label demo by Les Barrons, an Afrobeat group, Nicky Thomas' Love of the Common People, Ken Boothe's version of Down By The River (Neil Young's playing soon), probably missing a few things...

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3390
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just realized a song I heard a few times and liked is Extraordinary Machine by Fiona Apple. I kept googling the three or four words I remembered from the song until I found it and then got it from iTunes. Good stuff! I otherwise don't know a thing about her.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mike, you should check out the video some guy made of "Lost in Time" on YouTube if you haven't already. He did a really good job.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wfw, yes, I just recently got into Sofia Rotaru. What a voice. Can't believe she's 60.

The past few days, I've been listening to:
The "5" Royales
James Brown
Liszt
Toby Keith
Marty Robbins
Nathaniel Mayer
Rod Stewart
Concrete Blonde

Steelers
Username: Steelers

Post Number: 576
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spice Girls
Vanilla Ice
New Kids on the Block

j/k

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3155
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have mad love for that Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings CD.

Erikto, what station? Can we listen on iTunes?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Stuff I bought lately:

Old Town School of Folk music Songbook Vol 2&3

Haha Pam, I live right next to the Old Town School of Folk Music.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Haha Pam, I live right next to the Old Town School of Folk Music.

Really? I never heard of it until lately. I bought that cd because I like Kelly Hogan and Nora O'Connor and they are on it. Have you taken classes or anything over there? :-)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, but there's always crowds coming and going with instruments.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Tuesday, November 06, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nope, but there's always crowds coming and going with instruments

Go take some banjo lessons. You know you want to. :-)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3164
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will listen to nothing at work tonight. My iPod (old school, first generation) has gone to live with Jesus.

*sniff* Au Revoir, old friend.

Zxzm
Username: Zxzm

Post Number: 63
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dc86_Weoye0

Greatest song ever!