Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! - Archives » Archive through November 09, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 816
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like eggplant parmigiana this way, from a South Beach diet forum:

Eggplant Parmesan

1 eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/4" round slabs
3 tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 can (15 oz) crushed or chopped tomatoes with juice
1 tbs.+ 1 1/2 tsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. dried basil or 3 large fresh leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp. rosemary, crumbled
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 cup (4 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup (2 oz) grated Parmesan Cheese

------------------------------ ------------------

Preheat broiler

Place eggplant on large baking sheet and brush both sides with the oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp of slat. Broil 5" from the heat until just beginning to brown, 2 to 3 min. per side.

Set oven temperature to 375

In a saucepan, combine the tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste, basil, and rosemary. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 15 min. Season with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and the pepper.

Spread a layer of the tomato mixture over the bottom of a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Add a layer of eggplant and top with another layer of the tomato mixture. Sprinkle with a thin layer of the mozzarella and the parmesan. Continue making 2 more layers with the remaining eggplant, tomato mixture, and cheeses, ending with a thick layer of cheeses. Bake until bubbling 25 to 30 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting.

224 calories, 16g carbs, 5g fiber, 11g protein, 14g fat, 5g sat. fat, 22mg cholesterol, 628 mg sodium

To make it easier, you can just use your favorite sauch recipe or cheat with a canned sauce.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mini tanks
now i have something to fix for dinner this saturday. yum!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2993
Posted on Sunday, October 21, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought a beautiful ambercup squash at the Farmer's Market this week. We're going to have perfect grilled steak, roasted squash and cold spinach for dinner. We are currently eating manchego cheese, good hearty bread and olives while I get dinner on. And a nice dry red, of course.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2146
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did your family cook like this when you were a child? I link my foodie (which is not comparable to your level) to first husband's ethnic plus working in restaurants and being able to eat things I would never want to pay for. But I was raised on basic basic meat and potatoes.....

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 2995
Posted on Monday, October 22, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, my mother worked full time, my father worked full time, and I mostly ate what my older sisters would make - Kraft dinner and hamburger helper style thingies. I didn't get interested in cooking till I got married and drew the cooking straw when we divided up household chores. But I always ate everything offered to me,maybe the only time I didn't give my folks trouble was at dinnertime.

My husband cooks the perfect steak, btw. Using plenty of Detroit Spice Co. steak seasoning.

Carolcb

Post Number: 2218
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, why don't we invigorate this topic and raise our triglicerides? Only kidding.

I would like to hear most original but loved Thanksgiving desert or veggie? What do you think?

Or whatever....weather has changed, lets get some ideas going for the November chow-down.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3018
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather talk about new ideas for Thanksgiving! The classic dinner is so heavy and stodgy. My in-laws have eaten the identical dinner for the lat 450,000 years and they won't change. I brought a pot of my roasted butternut squash soup a couple of years ago and you'd have thought I skinned and ate a baby.

Carolcb

Post Number: 2219
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK ( - : Sounds yummy.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2937
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought squash was a classic T-giving item??
Weird.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 859
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehe, people can be such holiday despots. My in-laws have been conditioned way beyond the original traditional meal that we always had to have but we still have to have turkey, dressing, mashed and sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie made from scratch. I'm doing the pumpkins today with my granddaughter.

Pick a nice heavy sugar or pie pumpkin. I like the brownish ones best. Cut in half, scoop out the seeds and save or put them out for your squirrels. Take a baking sheet with edges, put the halves face down with a little water to cover the bottom of the pan. Bake at 350 for about 45 minute. Test by sticking with a fork. You should not get any resistance.

Let them cool, then scoop out the meat and either make your pie, or freeze it in 3 cup servings to make your pies later.

I have a good pumpkin seed recipe if anyone wants it.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2939
Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S quash_%28plant%29

quote:

Archaeological evidence suggests that squash may have been first cultivated in Mesoamerica some 8,000 to 10,000 years ago [2][3], but may have been independently cultivated elsewhere, albeit later [4]. Squash was one of the "Three Sisters" planted by Native Americans. The Three Sisters were the three main indigenous plants used for agriculture: maize (corn), beans, and squash. These were usually planted together, with the cornstalk providing support for the climbing beans, and shade for the squash. The squash vines provided ground cover to limit weeds. The beans provided nitrogen fixing for all three crops.

Can't get much more traditionally American than that. :-)

Redvetred
Username: Redvetred

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 4:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've taken recipes from this forum but not donated. Here's one I modified to add some zip:

Butternut squash, apple, onion an gratin
1 butternut squash - peeled, seeded and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
2 Granny Smith or other tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced about 1/4 inch thick
1 red onion sliced thin
1/4 cup of white wine
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 slices real bacon cooked
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9X11, glass, baking pan with cooking spray.
Place flour, salt, cinnamon, squash, apples and onions in a large plastic bag and shake until all is lightly covered.
Layer half the squash, apples and onions in the glass pan. Pour over half the wine and distribute half the cheese. Repeat for the next layer.
Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
Remove dish from oven, remove foil, crumble bacon on top and any leftover cheese.
Bake another 15 minutes uncovered, test for doneness of squash, then remove from oven, let sit for at least five minutes before serving.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3025
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds really, really good. Thank you!

I know just what to do with the other 3/4 of wine, too.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3066
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made a roast chicken last night, with a brown and red rice pilaf (with squash of course). Tonight we're having chicken leftovers, fried rice pilaf patties, steamed artichokes and if someone would be kind enough to post an easy chicken gravy recipe, all I'll need to add is a bottle of lovely red wine.

Gravy recipes?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 906
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have leftover chicken, too! I am making jambalaya, starting with leftover chicken, leftover Jambalaya from Howe's Bayou, leftover TJ Tomato and Red Pepper soup. I will add more rice and spice, and serve cornbread on the side.

Chicken gravy? Don't you just fry some flour in butter, then add chicken broth? If you have roasted pan drippings you can use those, too, yum! About 1 T flour per cup of liquid.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I roasted my chicken vertically, so I have some drippings, but not as many as if I had laid it down. I made broth with the drippings and the bones, so it's BEAUTIFUL. I was just hoping for something a little different. I think I'll fry some bacon first, to get some crunchies in there.

I love my day off, last good food night.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 907
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I also trim and chop up the giblets if we have any, and fry them in the butter and then add the flour and fry it until it's golden, then drizzle in the broth.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3103
Posted on Wednesday, October 31, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My rice cakes completely fell apart - too moist I think. So I made some lovely soup from the broth, chicken and leftover squash.

Today I had some rainbow chard, sauteed with carmelized onions, garlic, olives and hot italian sausage. On sliced tube polenta with parmesan/reggiano sprinkled LIBERALLY on top. Heavenly. if only I could stay home from work, I'd have a big glass of Cotes du Rhone with it.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3141
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

I've been crazy busy, I'll probably post something later. It will be salmon-y and vegetable-y.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5106
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, you sound like you're as passionate about cuisine as Emeril is.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3143
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cook better than him and no unibrow.

Food is great.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5109
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, and you probably dont go "BAM" every time you spice up your dishes!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3147
Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It ended up being a plain grilled Jerked Salmon, with mixed vegetables in cumin and black pepper with couscous. Very tasty. And a nice white wine from the Languedoc region of France, where I spent my vacation this year. A lovely dinner.

http://www.languedoc-france.in fo/0414_wine.htm

Carolcb

Post Number: 2549
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is not an exciting post but I don't want to lose this!

Although I have to admit when it starts to get cold out I start doing the same things over and over again - Chili or Veggie soup or potato soup from scratch - a salad - and then we have homemade brownies or banana bread or toll house - that is it. I used to make tons of lasagna but with all the kids at school we didn't eat all of it!
I did get some great trout at Meijer on Monday, FYI it was really nice.
Tonight we are diving into chili made with turkey...part of the hibernation laziness, take it out, warm it up.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3161
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have italian sausage (one of my major food groups) and assorted veggies today. I guess it will be a stew, I'm working too much these days to do anything more complicated.

It's funny, when I pull my lunch out at work I always get compliments on the smell (and the cloud of garlic that rises up!)

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found this thread and I've been reading all the posts for a couple of hours now. I have collected several of the recipes and tips on making different soups. Just to name a few: the Crock Pot Lasagna; Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Brownies; Really Chocolate Pie; Sweet Potato Chowder; Corn Chowder; and the OMG so yummy sounding Traditional Cornish Pasty. I intend to try them all and I thank everyone for their recipes.

I feel the need to contribute a recipe. I cannot take and not give something back. Here's the recipe for the mostest, bestest tasting Apple Muffins you'll ever serve to your family and friends.

Apple Muffins

3 1/2 c. flour
1 T. cinnamon
3 c. finely chopped apples (any variety will do)
1 c. vegetable oil
2 c. sugar (half brown, half white)
3 eggs
1 t. salt
2 c. chopped nuts (I used very coarsely chopped walnuts)
2 t. baking soda
2 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin tins with PAM. Thoroughly combine apples and sugar, then add the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix well. Add oil, egg, nuts and vanilla. Then mix in flour. The batter will be very thick and gooey. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake about 30 minutes. Can be frozen.

Tips: If you make these - use a very large bowl to mix in. I got 2 dozen standard size muffins from this recipe. I used a 1/4 cup scoop to get the batter into the muffin tins.

1st time I made them I followed the recipe to a T. 2nd time I made them I substituted Splenda for the sugar. The white and brown Splenda. They were just ok that time - but seemed to leave an aftertaste. Therefore, I recommend using the real sugars.

I got the recipe from a bed and breakfast. They are truly tasty.

I'm so glad I found this thread. I'll come back time and time again for more ideas. Thanks to you all!

(Message edited by eriedearie on November 08, 2007)

Carolcb

Post Number: 2601
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wecome Eriedearie!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Carolcb!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3182
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, November 09, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meatloaf and mashed cauliflower last night. Should have had green beans too, but we were out of them.

Meatloaf
1# ground round
1 c regular oatmeal not cooked
1 egg
1/2 c catsup
1/4 c each Finely chopped onion and green pepper
1 T worcestershire sauce
A dab of minced garlic
A dab each of salt and pepper
Mush it all up together well, and pack into a loaf pan or shape into a loaf on a flat pan. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before turning out and serving.

Mashed cauliflower
Believe it or not, this is almost as good as mashed potatoes.
1 head cauliflower, washed and cut into floret size pieces.
Put into microwave safe pan, add about 1/2 c. water and cover and nuke for 8 minutes on high.
Drain and add 1T I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Spray (or butter or margarine), and 1/4 c. fat free sour cream (or milk or half and half).
Blend smooth. I use a stick blender, or you can use a food processer or mixer.
Serve hot.
This is a South Beach recipe. The substitutions are not on program, just use what you have around.