Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through November 26, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 805
Posted on Saturday, November 17, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today listening to the new Eagles double CD, "Long Road Out Of Eden". The second CD is especially enjoyable! They still sound good!

EDIT: After further listening tonight, let me rephrase, this double CD is really awesome!

(Message edited by vetalalumni on November 18, 2007)

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 618
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just threw on "Thai Boxing" by Jiraphand Ong-Ard. It's on a really neato collection of western sounding Thai music, sung in English and Thai. I highly recommend "Thai Beat A Go Go" volumes one through three. "Don" covers "Sunshine Day" (the Osibisa African soul hit) and has another funky contribution by way of "Soul Dracula", and there are Thai covers of Elvis hits, and what sound like covers of the Troggs' "A Girl Like You", Hang on Sloopy, some disco-y songs and some real oddball sounding recordings.
On the modern rockabilly tip, a c.d. that was selling for very little, put out by Universal, is a 2 cd set of current Canadian rockabilly stuff- it's not all brilliant, but there are enough jamming cuts by people I'm certain you've never heard of.
"I Fought the Law" had Barry White on drums? I never knew. My favourite version, hands down, is on a live Link Wray recording from New York in the late 70's, a radio broadcast. He just kills that song. He also does a great version of Bruuuce! Springsteen's "Fire"...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I listen to a lot of old jazz, and I wanted something new, but with a little kick to it, so I picked up Stanley Clarke's The Toys Of Men. I'm still taking it in, but it seems pretty good. Not breathtaking, but pretty good. However, if you would enjoy three minutes of good, old-fashioned "School Days"-type funkerocity, find this recording on the web and download "Come On."

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deodato
1. Super Strut
2. Rhapsody in Blue
3. Nights in White Satin
4. Skyscrapers
5. Pavane For A Dead Princess
6. Latin Flute
7. Venus
8. Do It Again
9. Tropea

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3266
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Boys, When They're Asleep - Best of the Faces
Pool Hall Richard at this moment.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now- The Best of the Louvin Brothers

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 809
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jordin Sparks" by Jordin Sparks
"Black Market" by Weather Report
"Christmas time with Oleta" by Oleta Adams

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3278
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just finished "Alices Restaurant", a holiday classic.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can get anything you want,at Alice's Restaurant,

'cepting Alice.

Ravine

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni has been listening to a record which is dear to me, Weather Report's Black Market. Here is a link to a site which has a bunch of interesting information-- possibly more than one could even want-- about that record, specifically, and Weather Report in general.
http://www.binkie.net/wrdisc/B lack%20Market.html

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 332
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new Aretha Franklin. There is an alternate version of "I Ain't Never Loved A Man...." that has me hooting and hollering every time I hear it. Aretha is STILL my fave.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 460
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ND uj-MyVyA&feature=related

Got a Norah jones.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 810
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Jaco Pastorius" by Jaco Pastorius
"No Place Like Soul" by Soulive
"Physical Therapy" by Physical Therapy
"Prelude" by Deodato
"Kiss Under The Moon" by Warren Hill

Ravine

Post Number: 1633
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In segments, I'm taking in Columbia Legacy's new release of "The On The Corner Sessions," which, mis-titled as it is, explores some of Miles Davis' last work for Columbia, occurring in the general area of 1972-1975.
The LP "On The Corner" was not well-received. Some folks dismissed it as a bunch of repetitive, ear-jarring noise. I liked it. Some music is better understood through one's body feeling it than through one's mind examining it.
I may launch a separate thread, on this subject.

Ravine

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking about "On The Corner" got me to thinking about other things, specifically the matter of how the experience of music, or any other art, is entirely subjective. We cannot say, with any truth or validity, that a piece of music is good, or bad; all we can say is how we felt about it.
One of the reasons for my bringing up this topic is that I had a negative reaction to the brief Eagles-trashing which took place on the "Name That Song" thread, somewhat coincidental with Vetalalumni's enthusiastic endorsement of The Eagles' new CD on this thread. One of the posterators who seemed to wish that these Eagles, too, were an Endangered Species was a DY citizen who zestfully expresses her admiration for Bruce Springsteen.
I found more than a trace of irony, therein. Now, I should testify that I am not an avid fan of The Eagles, and that I don't detest Bruce Springsteen. It's just that when I think of those two parties, I basically have an either-or/"whatever" type of reaction, to the extent where I almost wonder how a person can love one and nearly hate the other.
Now see, probably to some of you, THAT statement sounds absolutely absurd. It just goes to show you that Sly & The Family Stone had it right: Different Strokes For Different Folks.
Respect thy neighbor's affections for music!! How music sounds, to you, has almost nothing to do with What It Is, and everything to do with Who You Are.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 811
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Music is functional and emotional for me. Attributes of the diverse music I enjoy (in no particular order):
- invokes a desire to hum along, tap my foot or dance
- stirs happy feelings, inspires, or reminds me of fun times in my past
- funky
- creativity with voice or instrument
- "moves me" in some positive way

Stevie Wonder, Earth Wind and Fire, Aretha, Beatles and Marvin Gaye come to mind. Andre Segovia is very pleasant and relaxing to hear. New Age, Shadowfax and George Winston are noteworthy.

Also listening to Roy Ayers "LifeLine" CD (1977) tonight. Over the holiday I've also been listening to the Led Zeppelin compilation "Mothership".

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3289
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey now. The Eagles aren't an endangered species in my house, they're extinct!

We're just spouting opinions here, Ravine. Most people like music for purely emotional reasons - I have a positive emotional reaction when I hear Bruce Springsteen, I don't when I hear the Eagles. I spend a lot of time here waiting for files to upload, I have to do something. Arguing about goofy things fits the bill.

(Did someone endorse the Eagles here? eeeeee)

on topic: nothing yet. I'm not launching iTunes till I get this 36 page file to my printer.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 3800
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The time has come for me to dig out the Vince Guaraldi Trio's "A Charlie Brown Christmas" album. It served as dinner music for our Thanksgiving feast.

Nothing stirs up the feeling of Christmas and nostalgia to me like that album. Emotion seems to pour forth from the very first couple key strokes on "O Tannenbaum". By the time the tempo changes and the drums come in, you know the holidays are here.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3801
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikto

Post Number: 626
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favourite movie quotes in recent years- "... I hate the fuc#in' Eagles!"- Big Lebowski

Favourite Christmas comp- James Brown;'s Funk Christmas, even better than the 80's Rhino reissue "Santa's Got A Brand New Bag", although both have the classics "Soulful Christmas" and "Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto".

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 812
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool photograph Johnlodge!

Regarding musical preferences, arguing over which music is better or best is futile.

Musical experts will have educated and critical opinions, likely much different than most. On the other hand, recreational listeners, like myself, have yet another view. It is all in the eye (ear) of the beholder (listener).

This morning I'm listening to "The Beatles, 1962-1966" and "The Beatles, 1967-1970" CDs.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1186
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asylum Street Spankers
Sly & the Family Stone
Etta James

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9967
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby Vinton
Kool G rap

Ravine

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette, I realize that it is merely opinions being spouted, here. I didn't infer any meanness, or antagonism, from your comments. I was reflecting on the topic which Vetalalumni, above, very succinctly referred to as "eye (ear) of the beholder (listener.)" The "On The Corner" box arrived on the heels of the Eagles-trashing, and one thought led to another. And, frankly, I will say that you and Pam did seem to exhibit a certain snooty disdain for The Eagles, whose worst crime, musically, probably was their fairly far-reaching popularity. Popularity detracts from hipness like oven-door slamming causes a cake to drop.
You mentioned the significance of "emotional reaction." I completely endorse your assertion. That's it; that's (pretty much) all of it. I think you and Vetalalumni are expressing similar sentiments, regarding what floats your boats; interestingly, while applying quite similar "criteria" (the emotional responses,) the bottom line is that she really likes The Eagles, and you really dislike The Eagles, which I point out because it Proves My Point and means that I Am Correct. Self-promoting, egotistical jackass that I am, my pleasure is boundless.
But seriously. Vetalalumni's short list of attributes, while naming various factors, had (sort of) a common theme, which relates to what I was saying about "On The Corner." In a lot of cases, whether or not you really like a bit of music is determined by how your body reacts to it, not by what your brain thinks of it. Some of the themes from that record stick with me, for hours after I've heard them, even though, when I truly stop and listen to them, I can't help noticing that there really isn't a whole lot going on, there.
I said that Sly & The Family Stone were right; I guess it turns out that the Stones were making a relevant point, too: "I (my brain) know it's only rock & roll, but I (my body) like it."

Johnlodge

Post Number: 3825
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to Winslow, Arizona.

There isn't much there. There's a Burger King though.

There's also a large Billboard that says "Standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona" with musical notes around it. Their one claim to fame. From Wikipedia:

Winslow was immortalized by the song Take It Easy written by Jackson Browne and Glenn Frey and performed by the Eagles. The song tells the tale of a disconsolate singer with woman troubles and includes the lines:

Well, I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona,
and such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford,
slowin' down to take a look at me

The town had suffered a loss of commerce when Route 66 was supplanted by Interstate 40, but the popularity of the song led to renewed attention for Winslow and a commercial renaissance.

The scene described in the song was replicated as a trompe-l'oeil mural painted on the side of a building in Standin' on the Corner Park in Winslow. On October 18, 2004, a fire destroyed the building on which the mural was painted. The wall and the mural were preserved, but the park temporarily closed.

In November of 2006, the city of Winslow purchased the property where the building had stood. The wall with the mural was secured and the rest of the building torn down.

As of August 2007, the corner of the park, with the statue and the mural, is accessible again. Plans are underway to expand the mural to cover the remaining wall, and to expand the park onto both sides of the wall.

The town also posted a billboard on I-40 with the words: "Winslow, Arizona says 'Take it easy'".

I had visited prior to the 2004 fire.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3291
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But if I'm anti-popular music, why am I a huge Springsteen fan?

I don't like the Eagles for a lot of reasons, but mostly because 1) they took an interesting genre (country rock) and boiled it down till there was no flavor at all 2) Glenn Frey always struck me as being a huge egotistical asshole and it (imho) showed in his singing 3) Don Henley just rubs me wrong and 3) Retire. Don't. Just don't keep jerking people around about it.

Remember the movie "Almost Famous"? The famous "Tiny Dancer" scene, where a group of angry people were disarmed during a very tense moment by a radio playing that song. It's not a good song, but the kind of pop song that instantly sticks in your brain. I'm sure everybody knows that song. So in the movie, one by one, everyone in the scene begins to sing along with the song, until the angry moment passes and everyone is in harmony, in pop music Nirvana, which is why we all love music anyway.

My "Almost Famous" moment occured in a bar in Southwest Detroit, midway through a (now) comic evening of mistakes and problems and disappointments. So we're in this bar and a particularly annoying member of our crew walked to the jukebox and played "Take it to the Limit". "Come on, sing with me" she whined. We all grumbled and snarled and were all above it, but slowly, one by one, we all joined in. "You can spend all your time making money. You can spend all your love making time. If it all fell to pieces tomorrow, will you still be mine?" By the time we got to the call and response part "When you're looking for your freedom, NOBODY SEEMS TO CARE and you can't find the door YOU CAN'T FIND IT ANYWHERE" we were all bellowing along. Evening was rescued, revelry ensued.

So that's one of the Eagles songs I like, not because of the music itself but because of the memory it brings me. For that night alone, I don't run over Glenn Frey in my car, should I find him walking around a dark street at night.

Oversharing by Oldredfordette. Van Morrison on the iTunes right now "These Dreams of You".

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3703
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby Vinton
Kool G rap

ok, goat, simultaneously?

i'm listening to a modest mouse cd i found in the street in front of my house. never have been able to figure out if i like them or not

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9974
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not simultaneously :-)
But I am the trail end of Kool G Rap and now have moved on to Bobby Vinton.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3292
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mashing! Bobby V, Kool G, in da house!

Which Modest Mouse?

Erikto

Post Number: 627
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One non-musical reason I hate the Eagles is they were the first to blow ticket prices out of the water among arena/ stadium rockers on the come-back trail. In 1987 Pink Floyd tickets were about 30$, in 1989 the Stones LONG awaited come back tour cost me about 30 bucks, and prices for the biggest draws stayed around 30$ for a long time. I'd have to find my ticket, but I think Metallica, when they first got really popular ('89) were 20$. Then, in the summer of 1990, the Eagles announced they had run out of coke money and hit the road, charging an unprecedented 90+$ for arena shows. Ever since, lots of mediocre bands have managed to charge insane amounts for tickets to half-hearted reunion shows. My room mate was offered a Neil Young ticket for Massey Hall tonight at cost- but he doesn't have 200$ to drop on a concert right now. I love Neil, but 200$? Is he taking requests?!
What I am listening to at this moment is part of a BBC t.v. mini-series on the history of African music, focusing on Griot sound from Mali and that region of West Africa. I was just passing through after looking at the Soulful Detroit forum looking for stuff that might be worth mentioning on the radio when I go on the air in a couple of hours (8 pm EST)...