Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! - Archives » Archive through December 04, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, mash everything together until it's all blended together...more protein!
My father-in-law called the bones "lifesavers" so that the little ones would eat them, the patties, that is.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3269
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trader Joe sells a nice canned smoked salmon. Try that in your patties!

The_ed

Post Number: 1125
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll pick some up when I get my 3-Buck Chuck.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to Oldredfordette's house for dinner. So make that 3 for your leg of lamb dinner.

I am cooking a fresh, organic 20 lb. turkey for my family on Thanks Giving. It is the size of a small human. Way too many people to feed.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 995
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a little 10 pound fresh turkey, the smallest I have ever cooked. We have only five for our feast this year.

I plan to brine the turkey. The brine is made of vegetable broth, sea salt, and herbs, sage, thyme, rosemary and savory. It's supposed to be wonderful. I lay some strips of bacon over the turkey's breast when I roast him. The gravy is so wonderful.

I will have succotash, fried green beans, baked sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes and cranberry salsa.

Cranberry Salsa
Pulse 12 oz fresh cranberries in food processor with 6 T sugar til finely chopped.

Transfer to a bowl.

Now do the same with two stalks celery, 1/2 cucumber seeded and peeled, and four slices pickled jalapenos.

Mix it all together with 2 T Grand Marnier.

Dhugger

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe: tell me more about your turkey method:

How long do i brine the bird for?
When do I put the bacon on?
What temperature do I cook the bird at?
How long do I cook it with the bacon? My butcher says 4 -5 hours.

Hmmm should I try a new approach with such a big bird?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3272
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current issue of Saveur recommends starting the bird breast down, then turning it over after 20-30 minutes and complete back side down. They said the breast meat was incredibly juicy that way.

I'm trying it that way. No brine, no time basically. I'm gonna cook my turkey, carve it and off to work with me it goes.

I can't believe I have to work on fucking Thanksgiving.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2880
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holey Moley, that will be some check however, I hope for you at least that it will be! Sorry you have to work.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 996
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You prepare the brine early enough so it cools down. You need a pot or clean bucket big enough for the turkey to fit in.

OK, brine:

10 2/3 c. vegetable broth
1/2 C plus 2 T Sea salt
2 tsp Crushed dried rosemary
2 tsp dried sage
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp dried savory
10 2/3 c ice water

In large pot, combine the broth, sea salt, rosemary, sage, thyme and savory. Bring to a boil stirring often to be sure salt is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

When cool, pour into clean 5 gallon bucket. Stir in ice water.

Wash and dry turkey. Make sure innards are out, you know that little bag with the giblets and neck. Place turkey, breast down, into brine. Make sure cavity gets filled. Place in fridge overnight.

Remove turkey, drain brine and pat dry. Discard brine.

Cook as desired, reserving drippings for gravy when done.

Brined Turkey cooks 20-30 minutes faster so check temp. It's done when it registers 185 degrees.

Turkey directions:

Put turkey on rack in pan, breast side up. Stuff with quartered onion and celery. Lay about four strips bacon across the breast. Cover loosely with foil. Set oven to 325.

Here are the directions from the good old Better Homes and Gardens cook book:

8-12 pound turkey 4-4 1/2 hours
12-16 lbs 4 1/2 - 5 1/2 hours

From my turkey wrap, for unstuffed turkey:
10-12 # 2 1/2 - 3 hours
12-14 # 3-3 1/2 hours
14-16 # 3 1/2 -4 hours
16-20 # 4 -4 1/2 hours
20-24 # 4 1/2 -5 hours
Add 1/2 to 1 hour for stuffed turkey

For last 45 minutes, cut string between legs, uncover and continue roasting til done. Internal temperature should get to 185. Remove and let stand 15 minutes before serving, while you make the gravy.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on November 21, 2007)

Dhugger

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gazhekwe. I am not sure I will brine it but will use the bacon and the rest of your directions.

Brining with a 20 pounder may be over the top.

Happy Thanks Giving to all DY folks.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 997
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You would need a BIG bucket, and I don't know how it would fit in the fridge. I'm having trouble with my little 10 pounder. I have lots of stuff in the fridge already, so room is at a premium.

Dhugger

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prepping tonight then cooking for 20 at my sisters giant home on Thursday.

Space saving ideas: cooling in the back of my van: 3 dozen muffins, all the vegetables, > then > making the casseroles tomorrow when the bird is in.

I have a spread sheet going to manage this dinner.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 998
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note, I updated the cooking times on the turkey, if you don't put stuffing in it. I always have the stuffing on the side, so my turkey will cook up pretty fast.

Yes, it's a good thing it cooled down enough to let you keep things cold in the van. I did manage to wedge my bucket into the fridge.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 197
Posted on Wednesday, November 21, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We will have 12 for dinner tomorrow. I'm brining a 17 lb. turkey right now. Using the brine recipe from the Sunday newspaper insert. Having mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, deviled eggs and beets, corn, stuffing, green leaf and red leaf lettuce salad, mom is bringing her always requested macaroni salad, my baked rice has been requested as well, homemade flax seed rolls, my sister is bringing her taco dip and corn chips, shrimp cocktail, The_ed's salmon spread on crackers, cranberry sauce, my homemade pumpkin pie, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and apple/nut pound cake. We will have lunch and supper from all the above and be totally stuffed! Gosh I didn't realize how much food we were having till I started typing this!:-) Have a Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! :-)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well - the feeding frenzy is over! Isn't this a grand country we live in? We had an abundance of everything on our table. No one could have wanted more. We were all thankful for the chance to spend another year together. So a good time was had by all. Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your friends and family members.

The_ed - the salmon spread was a big hit. It will be a regular deal from now on. :-)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Thursday, November 22, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody want to come by for leftovers? I have lots of food, we barely made a dent in it. The brined turkey was delicious, but it took an hour LONGER to cook, not shorter as the recipe said.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, November 23, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe: "brined turkey was delicious, but it took an hour LONGER to cook, not shorter as the recipe said."

Same here. I thought that was kinda strange. But I did get many compliments on it!

And thanks for the invite!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3284
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leftover recipes, anyone?

I'm gonna make a turkey soup. I made a fabulous broth from the carcass, I have chopped turkey, canned tomatoes, lovely silken broth, I think I'll put chickpeas and chopped spinach. Lots and lots of garlic.

Sure would like one of those oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (she said wistfully)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have my turkey broth brewing right now. Turkey carcass and bones, leftover drippings, the onions and celery I stuffed it with. I am about to go and harvest the meat for turkey salad and turkey hash. I plan to freeze the broth for now, being not quite ready for turkey soup.

We still have pie!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3286
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kept the drippings in a jar covered with the fat, and I'm adding it to the soup. It's so rich and excellent. My house smells just like heaven.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 222
Posted on Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

"Sure would like one of those oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (she said wistfully)"

Oh if only I would have known. Any leftover cookies, cake and pie promptly went home with the grandsons and nephew! :-(

Tell us how the turkey soup turns out - sounds interesting with the chick peas and spinach. I plan on doing mine tomorrow. Been a busy weekend.

The_ed

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie:
I'm glad the salmon spread turned out well for you.
I made some also, but this time I added a little red pepper to it.
It gave it a nice snap and a little spark.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1018
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put horseradish in mine, and that is very good, too. I will be getting some smoked whitefish for the Christmas batch.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last of the leftovers!

Late November Hot Brown

Layer the last of your stuffing OR some slices of bread in a square ovenproof pan
Top with turkey slices or pieces
Now top with veggies, I had bacon fried green beans and succotash with tomatoes.

Pour this wonderful sauce over the top. Made enough for an 11x6 inch dish.

1/2 cup turkey broth
1/2 cup half and half or milk or more turkey broth
3 T butter
2 T flour
1 c grated Swiss cheese (I had Camembert)
4-5 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (if you have any, I didn't)

Melt the butter, add the flour and sizzle a bit till the flour is cooked. Now whisk in the broth, stirring constantly, and then the half and half. Keep stirring until the mixture begins to bubble. Stir in the cheese and keep stirring till smooth. Add more broth if it's too thick.

Spread this over the top of your dish, top with the crumbled bacon and pop it in the oven at 350 for about half an hour.

Carolcb

Post Number: 2942
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is really good. I have made it and I put it on top of romaine....
½ cup fine-grained bulgur wheat
½ teaspoon coarse salt
¾ cup boiling water
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
coarse salt and ground pepper
2 tablespoons minced scallion
¾ cup halved seedless grapes
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup crumbled feta cheese

In a bowl, combine ½ cup fine-grain bulgur wheat, ½ teaspoon coarse salt, and ¾ cup boiling water. Cover; let stand until bulgur is tender,
In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil; season with kosher salt and ground pepper. Add 2 tablespoons minced scallion, ¾ cup halved seedless grapes, ½ cup each toasted chopped walnuts and crumbled feta. Add bulgur; toss.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3321
Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump. I bought some organic carrots and squash, I'll post a recipe later. I don't know what I'm making yet!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3325
Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The carrots I bought were short and stubby (not baby carrots). I washed them off and dried them, cut in half. Combine 3 cloves of garlic with olive oil and sea salt, mash into a kind of runny paste. Toast 1/2 tb of cumin seeds with about 10 black peppercorns, crush in mortar or little electric spice grinder, add to paste. Heat oven to 400 degrees, rub carrots all over with paste and bake on cookie sheet for about an hour or however long to get the carrots how you like them (I like a little bite left in them).

Insanely good, plus the house smelled fantastic.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3344
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Carolcb

Post Number: 3053
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have been really boring lately except for making that bulgar salad, which my husband won't eat (more for me). On the up side, we have been devouring the salad dressing 'Roasted Red Pepper' from Seeds of Change, and have decided we don't care how much it costs.

One of my friends at work gave me a recipe for breakfast or energy bars. I have been making them for 3 weeks...I'll bring it tomorrow. There is nothing bad in it, and wa-la, I grab that and a granny smith apple and walk out the door.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 285
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking forward to the recipe Carolcb!