Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through December 10, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3066
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Asylum Street Spankers

Ed, I saw them last week in Ann Arbor. Where you there?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette, that was not oversharing, darlin', it was directly on-point, and I rather enjoyed the story. As for your opening question, well, there you go. The fact that you are a huge Springsteen fan does indeed prove, at least in your case, that it is not the popularity of The Eagles which elicits your scorn.
Big Van the Man is one of my very favorite singers, by the way.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5182
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rory Gallagher Live at Montreux

Pam

Post Number: 3067
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I will say that you and Pam did seem to exhibit a certain snooty disdain for The Eagles, whose worst crime, musically, probably was their fairly far-reaching popularity. Popularity detracts from hipness like oven-door slamming causes a cake to drop.

Why can't I have snooty disdain once in a while? It's fun. :-) Anyway, I was friendly about it. I said I wouldn't hold it against thnk2mch for liking the Eagles.

quote:

but mostly because 1) they took an interesting genre (country rock) and boiled it down till there was no flavor at all

I would agree with this, plus lyrically they leave something to be desired.

The_ed
Username: The_ed

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam:
quote:
Asylum Street Spankers

"Ed, I saw them last week in Ann Arbor. Where you there?"

Nope, never saw them live. Would have been nice, tho. I think they are pretty funny.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3295
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Electric Ladyland. Happy 65th birthday Jimi Hendrix.

Pam

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here Ed, some Spankers videos on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/results ?search_query=asylum%20street% 20spankers&search=Search&sa=X& oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 3729
Posted on Tuesday, November 27, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rory Gallagher - totally forgot about him.

The_ed

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx Pam

Mr_onion
Username: Mr_onion

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im listening to NIGHTWISH,, they are a unique symphonic Heavy Metal band out of Finland,, mostly with thier Old Singer Tarja, they fired her a few years ago and now have a new singer Annette which im not to thrilled about, but check them out on youtube, they are great. For heavy Metal Band they DO NOT SCREAM AND its not the Violent Heavy metal more Poetic Music indeed.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listening to the likes of Otis Clay, Aretha Franklin and The Staple Singers on a compilation CD of Gospel music classics.

They help me work later into the night. In fact WORK is what I should be doing now Au revoir.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 640
Posted on Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and i dont need a scale for the work
i can eyeball purp, i am not you jerk
hatin on me will make your situation worse
you dont wanna take a ride in that long black hearse
all eyes on me, shawty im a bomb first
im the truth and they say the truth hurts
Hustle mean hard work, hard work
if you scared go to church
man this rap shit is easy, every beat i get i murk

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 814
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currently listening to several Oleta Adams CDs, in all her glory.

Oleta Adams - Christmas Time With Oleta (2006)
Oleta Adams - Come Walk With Me (2001)
Oleta Adams - The Very Best Of Oleta Adams (1998)
Oleta Adams - Evolution (1993)
Oleta Adams - Circle Of One (1990)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3311
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okkervil River. God, I love this band. Next up Andrew Bird. More music love.

Papermoon
Username: Papermoon

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currently into a mixed bag of stuff:
Sergio Mendes
Stevie Wonder
Dinah Washington
early Streisand (pre 1970)
Ravel

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey!! Bump!! This is a fun thread, and it is rapidly slipping off the board!!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 823
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is what I have loaded into the CD changer:
* Wyclef Jean - Carnival Vol II - Memoirs of an Immigrant
* This Christmas - (Original Soundtrack)
* Teena Marie - It Must Be Magic
* Midnight Star - Ultimate Collection (2006)
* Lionel Ritchie - Sounds of the Season
* Michael McDonald - If That's What It Takes (1982)
* Michael Franks - The Art Of Tea (1975)
* Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Our Very Best Christmas
* Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back (1988)
* Roberta Flack - Chapter Two (1970)
* Shanice - Inner Child (1991)
* Teddy Pendergrass - Teddy Pendergrass (1980)
* Temptations - Psychedelic Shack

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit. A friend suggested I listen to Christmas songs. So that's what I did today while I decorated the tree. And I think I'm getting in the mood now!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 825
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This Time" by Al Jarreau. Every track on this CD is enjoyable.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raising Sand, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. IT's great!

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 634
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Playing 'Ego Trip', this mammoth home made hip hop collection of 1979-89 tracks. I rarely listen to post Def Jam '84 stuff 'cause so much of it sounds the same to me, but this collection has so much more. The 1985 disc 1 of 4 I have on now features Dougie Fresh with Kool Keith, Schooly D, Whistle's weird "Just Buggin'", Marly Marl, Cutmaster D.C. and only 1 Run DMC cut and 2 LL Cool J cuts.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 826
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday afternoon jammin to these albums:
* "Blues For Salvador" by Carlos Santana
* "Jan Akkerman" by Jan Akkerman (1977)
* "8:30" by Weather Report

Going through my collection of 8 tracks, cassettes, and vinyl. I laughed after coming across "Brother To Brother" and "Living Inside Myself" by Gino Vannelli.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3383
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tom Morello, the Nightwatchman, has a free song on his site.

http://nightwatchmanmusic.com/ email/nw120607.html

I love Morello. When it's done, I think I'll play some Rage Against The Machine.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7215
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kitaro Silk Road ll, just because I need it.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5225
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Incredible Bongo Band's Apache. It is one of the most sampled beats around. Jim Gordon is the drummer.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 637
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listening to news about Canada's bent ex-Prime Minister. I am adding a post to mention the Incredible Bongo Band have a really cool compilation c.d. imaginatively titled 'The Story Of...' or something like that. They do a fantastic, horn-driven version of Innagadda Da Vida. Even better than the cast of The Simpsons. Also, the excellent Wax Poetics magazine had an article about "Apache", the Bongos and the Apache All-Stars about a year (or 2? ago. Too bad about Jim Gordon.

The_ed

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today:
Sir Mix-a-lot
Ice Cube
Public Enemy
Macy Gray
Lily Allen

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pmusic, and xm radio

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3397
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Led Zeppelin on WFUV, and I wish they'd stop.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 2377
Posted on Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to a concert at the Orleans in Las Vegas Friday Night with Andre' Rieu and his Strauss Orchestra. Good mix of classics, Christmas, and Andrew Lloyd Webber. Ravel's 'Bolero' was the finale and it was superb. Don't any of you listen to good music any more?