Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through February 13, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 928
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan Akkerman - Live In Concert (2007). Several enjoyable cuts - "Dance the blues away" cut is very good.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3855
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okkervil River - assorted songs from an iTunes playlist.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2490
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CatPower

Mauser765

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's your favorite, what MUST be on my Motown CD?"

From "Motown 1s": Smokys 'Tears of a Clown'.

THIS particular version of 'Tears' is the ORIGINAL recording. The second version is cleaner, and was released a few years after - and its the later version you always hear on the radio.

Primary difference is that the original album cut is James Jamerson, and the later cleaned up single was Bob Babbitt. Jamersons take is wild, and not at all like the Babbitt version, which is played straight from the chart. Check it out !

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3856
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which Cat Power? The new one?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3857
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Hiatt - Walk On

It's movie time when the dishes are done and this CD is over. 'Night, everyone.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Saturday, February 09, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, catpower covers album

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 656
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalumni- Oops, oh well (on the War lp mistake), I have all the early War lp's except "Black Man's Burdon". I must say I kind of hate the "Living In The Red" stuff from later on..!
You (Vetalumni) mentioned listening to Funkadelic with memories of Olympia Stadium- care to elaborate?

Mauser, are you familiar with the first Miracles "Live" record? Real short, real raw, sounds like a multi-generation board tape, and it's terrific.

Listening to Robin Kenyatta's "Gypsy Man" record... not a cover of the War tune!

Mauser765

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope - Ill look for that.. love the Miracles.

Erikto

Post Number: 657
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Miracles- "Recorded Live On Stage" Tamla 241, but that might be a (different?) Canadian matrix number...

Lange
Username: Lange

Post Number: 17
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To me the best song that came out of Motown was, “This old heart of mine”.
Written by Lamont Dosier, and sung by “The Isley brothers”.

Hauntedbeat
Username: Hauntedbeat

Post Number: 42
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haunted beat

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 929
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Olympia Stadium and Funkadelic reference was for a late 70s concert when Parliament-Funkadelic (PF) and Bootsy played live at Olympia Stadium - the Mothership Connection show. It was one of those "you had to be there" type experiences. The many youtube clips of PF concerts cannot convey the entire ambience of the experience. Granted, PF had my number and I was hooked.

Regarding the Old Red Barn, I really liked that place. Saw the circus, hockey games, and other events there in the 70s. College graduation commencements were held there as well.

Erikto

Post Number: 658
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who else was on that Funkadelic/ Rubberband gig? Was it one of those giant funk-fests like the famous show in Chicago (see the Soulfuldetroit forum archives for people's pictures/ mem'ries of that one, if you're interested...)
I'm a huge P-Funk nut, I can't wait to see them in a few weeks. I've looked for stuff on Youtube, but I don't think there's any 'new-old' Funkadelic videos I didn't already have. The Houston videos/ dvd's from the '76 through late '79 tours are smoking hot. The only Detroit clip I have is a snippet of them with Sly Stone at Joe Louis 1981, s#it quality.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2506
Posted on Sunday, February 10, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

AMY WINEHOUSE - WINNING THE GRAMMY - YO!

Mauser765

Post Number: 2507
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 4:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5 GRAMMYS - WOOT !

Mauser765

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They tried to make me go to rehab
But I said 'no, no, no'
Yes I've been black but when I come back
You'll know know know..

I don't ever wanna drink again
I just, I just need a friend
I'm not gonna spend ten weeks
Have everyone think I'm on the mend

It's not just my pride
It's just 'til these
Tears have dried..

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5011
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alright Pam, here's my bluegrass update. This is what is on my first CD:

Rain Please Go Away- Union Station
Will There Be Any Stars in My Crown? - Cox Family
Midnight Rider - Union Station
Lose Again - Alisson Krauss
Down From the Mountain- Alison Krauss & Union Station
Country Boy - Ricky Skaggs
Though I Am Weary - Cox Family
Clinch Mountain Backstep - Ralph Stanley
Rocky Top - Loretta Lynn
Take Your Shoes Off Moses - Ralph Stanley & Ricky Skaggs
Heaven's Bright Shore - Ralph Stanley & Alison Krauss
Wabash Cannonball - Flatt & Scruggs
I Saw the Light -Ralph Stanley
Old Man's Tears - Ralph Stanley & Emmylou Harris
Drink That Mash & Talk That Trash - Flatt & Scruggs
Window Up Above - Ralph Stanley & George Jones

I know, not real diverse yet. Still working on expanding my horizons.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3864
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That looks good, JL.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3478
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Alright Pam, here's my bluegrass update

I didn't know you were focusing on bluegrass; in that case check out the Dillards' first 3 albums.
(early 60s.) Of newer bluegrass groups, I like Jim and Jennie and the Pinetops.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5013
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't at first, it just sort of evolved that way. I'll check those out, thanks!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3479
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another good one John:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg .dll?p=amg&sql=10:acfrxqehldhe

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 930
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Olympia concert referred to earlier featured PF and Bootsy only, AIR. Not a big fan of the post 1981 PF stuff at all (except Atomic Dog maybe). The Houston clips are probably the best on youtube. I'll admit a bias for PF above all others in the P-Funk genre.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on February 12, 2008)

Mauser765

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new album with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss is some killer stuff too, a bit on the poppy side for hardcore bluegrass folks, but damn its good.

How about this one, The Dillards "There is a Time"

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 934
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Mauser765

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 5:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joni Mitchell - Blue (i usually listen to the jazz period stuff, but I love the songs that were inspired by her time in Detroit)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3872
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citizen Cope - Every Waking Moment

Lange
Username: Lange

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you ever hear the Chenille Sisters?
They harmonize perfectly. I’ve never heard them do a song badly.

Mauser765

Post Number: 2522
Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Les Paul and Mary Ford today.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3887
Posted on Wednesday, February 13, 2008 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a huge Okkervil River fan, if you're curious about this fine Americana band, go to
http://www.okkervilriver.com/i ndex.php
and download a MP3 of live covers.