Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through March 02, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 884
Posted on Saturday, February 23, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Public Enemy
How you sell soul to a soulless people who sold their soul

a return to form for Chuck D, with the first 8 tracks absolutely suburb. old r&b samples making great beats and Chuck creatively takes on the mindless commercial hip hop and the usual suspects

Superaygun
Username: Superaygun

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, what is this mix-club you speak of? do tell, it sounds like something i would love...

in rotation:
Animal Collective - Grass
Danava - Unonou
Joni Mitchell - The Hissing of Summer Lawns (to help forget the snow...)

and a "guilty (though i feel no guilt over it, heh heh) pleasure" playlist of 70's-80's easy listening radio hits for sentimental purposes...

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3574
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam, what is this mix-club you speak of? do tell, it sounds like something i would love...

It is on another forum I am on. The moderator matches you up with somebody once a month or so and you send out a mix and get one in return. Then lists are posted and commented on.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superaygun reports that Mitchell's "Hissing" is on the victrola, today, which means that Superaygun had the opportunity to enjoy a big favorite of mine, Joni's "In France They Kiss On Main Street."
I'm envious. I have "Hissing" on 33 RPM, but my turntable is temporarily disabled.
Listen to that tune a second time, for me if you will, Superaygun.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3994
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That song was playing when I tuned in to WFUV this morning. I do love Joni.

Must go make playlist.

Listening to Randy Newman.

Pam

Post Number: 3575
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I do love Joni

Hmm, I seem to be in the minority here. I do not love Joni.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam, maybe the reason why you do not love Joni is related to her occasional indulgences in verbally preaching & musically over-reaching. When she just does the bit where she shares a little story about her life & feelings, and comes up with a catchy melody to which to attach it, she can be quite charming.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5323
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

a return to form for Chuck D, with the first 8 tracks absolutely suburb.

Suburb, eh? That sounds like a new direction for Chuck to me.

Pam

Post Number: 3578
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam, maybe the reason why you do not love Joni is related to her occasional indulgences in verbally preaching & musically over-reaching

Perhaps. I haven't analyzed it that much. I just have a violent dislike of the sounds she makes. I think I am allergic to her.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 3995
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband shares that allergy. God knows he's been exposed to her enough to build an immunity but he hasn't.

I have that allergy to the Doors (*ptui*), but as they say, each to their own.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 3915
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I had a dollar for every time I have listened to "Car on a Hill" I'd be on a beach somewhere.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5332
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NoFX - Punk In Drublic

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5262
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Body Count - Born Dead

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 961
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two brand new CDs from artists I typically enjoy. However, in this case, both artists receive only a C+ rating:
* Erykah Badu - "New Amerykah"
* Janet Jackson - "Discipline"

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4008
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a song by Steve Earle's son - Justin Townes Earle. Very good stuff.

(Message edited by oldredfordette on February 27, 2008)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5347
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otis and Stevie today.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Great Lakes Myth Society CDs (Great Lakes Myth Society, Compass Rose Bouquet) on shuffle.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Petra Haden. She is the daughter of jazz bassist Charlie Haden. Her a capella version of the Who album, The Who Sell Out is really good.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 717
Posted on Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pablo Casals - Bach

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4010
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BoDeans live on WFUV. Lovely.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5312
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael Nesmith & the First National Band "Loose Salute"

Pam

Post Number: 3593
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's something for Velvet Underground fans:

http://sendmedeadflowers.com/2 008/02/velvet-underground-live -at-gymnasium.html

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 4040
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Van Morrison

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 402
Posted on Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary J. Blige

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2789
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 6:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Once" movie soundtrack...and the associated "The Swell Season" by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova.

Loved the movie...had to order the above CDs. With their Oscar win for Best Original Song with "Falling Slowly," I can't get enough of them this week!! Looking forward to their May gig at the Royal Oak Music Theatre.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 662
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Pam-
Is that Velvets at the Gymnasium cut the same one that was floating around on vinyl bootlegs before it showed up on the box set? Was more footage unearthed from this gig? The Velvets were one of those bands I once obsessively tried to obtain every recorded note, no matter how low-fi a recording it may have been.
If you should find yourself in Toronto in a couple of weeks for whatever reason, a l will play at a club called the Velvet Underground. I have nothing to do with the gig, but it seemed apropos to this portion of this thread.

Currently listening to P-Funk live in Toronto from last week. What a great show that was... I got there late and still caught a good three hours. Greg Thomas was on fire, Michael Hampton played for a lot of the show, the drummer Rico is probably at least as good as Kash Waddy, no disrespect to Kash.

Pam

Post Number: 3602
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is that Velvets at the Gymnasium cut the same one that was floating around on vinyl bootlegs before it showed up on the box set? Was more footage unearthed from this gig?

The people on that blog are claiming one of the songs was never released. It is not one I have heard before and it is not on the box set. One of the other songs from that gig might be, I am not sure. (I didn't listen to whole thing. I was having trouble downloading it. You can play the unreleased song without doing the whole download though.)

Pam

Post Number: 3603
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wfmu.org/

Yo La Tengo are doing their annual "you say it, they play it" fundraiser on this station, tonight until 8pm.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 4810
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Just tuned in and Yo La Tengo is saying "hi to Pam." (but it's Pam from Brooklyn).

I've been listening to Siouxie play with the Millenia Ensemble, (including an amazing Japanese Drummer) which has sent me spinning into an 80's nostalgia phase....

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4032
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray Davies - Workingman's Cafe. I really really heart Ray Davies, this is prime stuff.