Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through March 18, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liam Finn - Second Chance

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2562
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opeth 'Watershed' today.

Ray Davies is a massively underrated artist. Best Kinks album: Muswell Hillbillies !

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 634
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been finding myself listening to Wolfsheim & Assemblage 23

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4038
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citizen Cope

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 663
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bruuuce Springsteen & the E Street Band, from the show I attended a few hours ago in Hamilton. Rocking show!! Much better than the Toronto show a few months ago, plus he left Patti at home- no disrespect, but that qualifies as an improvement for me... he busted out Kitty's Back, niiice... too bad I got shut down by security trying to shoot a little digital video of that hot middle part of Kitty;'s Back, although the audio didn't seem to concern anyone.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4044
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It should be available online any moment now! Go to Backstreets.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3607
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just now got around to downloading that VU bootleg posted above. Wow, it's pretty awesome. Great sound quality.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 963
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.pandora.com, the free online radio station associated with the Music Genome Project. You create one or more of your own distinct radio stations (genres) and sit back and enjoy hours of great music you've prescribed.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 4067
Posted on Thursday, March 06, 2008 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just discovered Johnny O'Keefe, the first Australian rock star in the late '50s. He co-wrote "Real Wild Child," also known as "Wild One," which was (much later) a hit for Iggy Pop.

Also: Ruth Brown, Gino Washington, Faron Young.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 965
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Larry Coryell - Introducing the 11th House
Moby - Disco Lies

Erikto

Post Number: 664
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miles Davis live at the O'Keefe Centre in Toronto, December 13/81- I was listening to the live '81 "We Want Miles" cd recently and wanted to revisit a couple of 1981 Miles recordings. There is a very nice recording of Detroit, and if I remember, a pretty good recording of one of the New York City shows used on "We Want Miles"- this O'Keefe gig is more subdued, but not totally watered down like some of the '82 and later recordings I've heard. Anyone else seek out Miles gigs around here?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5550
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ALL & The Descendents

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2063
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikto, I am always interested in anything featuring, or about, Miles Davis, although I admit that I'm not really into his music from the period you mentioned; his music from the late seventies and beyond just doesn't resonate inside me, but that's not a value judgment. I'm always one to "trumpet" the statement that the enjoyment of music is 100% subjective, so if you enjoy his stuff from that period, it is Therefore Good, and I am always glad to hear that folks are getting off on the work of my very favorite musician.
I should note that a Davis record from 1983, "Star People," is a favorite of mine, although it seems to have disappeared from "domestic" CD bins, and frankly, I'm not sure it was ever released on CD here, although I know it has been available "on import." (I have a 33 of it, but I sure would like a CD of it.) You may be a John Scofield admirer, so I should mention that he is on it.
Best of luck on collecting performance recordings of a guy who never did anything twice.
If you are interested in further discussions about him, please re-post, and I will make it a point to respond.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 967
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 32
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Piper at the Gates of Dawn" some pre-Gilmour Pink Floyd. When I head over to the shop tonight, likely some metal of some sort, maybe Godsmack or Slipknot.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5570
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like.
It's got a basket, a bell that rings
And things to make it look good.
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it.

Zephyrmec

Post Number: 33
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That cat's got something I can't explain......

Methinks Johnlodge must be an old hippie!

Pam

Post Number: 3656
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Methinks Johnlodge must be an old hippie!

Nope, he's only 30-something I think. That album is popular with more people than old hippies. I have a copy and am not one either.

Pam

Post Number: 3658
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pink Floyd on American Bandstand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =SdKS7drBJjo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ydoYkzVQIR4

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5580
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha, yes I am just gifted with a love for quality music.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4122
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faces box set: Five Guys Walk Into A Bar

Just what I need today; to feel like it's high school again (without the overwhelming angst of actual high school)

Erikto

Post Number: 666
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Oldredfordette- Isn't that 1 of the best titles ever? (The Faces box- I love the Faces).
I'll have to look for Floyd on American Bandstand- that was 1 of the few clips that never used to show up on boot compilations of Floyd video clips.
Hi Ravine, thanks for the response! My favourite Miles era is '70-'75 when he practically retired from the stage until 1981. I have an aging tape collection which includes quite a few low generation rarities. I got the Miles from the guy who recorded it in 1981, and he's way too busy to worry about digitizing 80's Miles recordings and my copy is more than a decade old already and none of us are getting any younger, blah blah... so I sometimes copy tapes on to cdr's if I am not sure a better digital copy is likely to surface any time soon. Just added a Tom Waits show from Massey Hall in '87 recorded by another guy who wasn't exactly in a hurry to revisit his analogue 'masters'.
Currently playing the Pogues in a pre-partying/ St. Patrick's vein- "Sink That Bottle", a boot c.d. from a 1990 show.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 968
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Scofield - Still Warm(1994)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2074
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vetalalumni, my favorite Scofield is not even Scofield's record. It is saxophonist Joe Henderson's "So Near, So Far (Musings For Miles,)" with Al Foster on drums and Dave Holland on bass.
I love music dearly, and I have plenty of records that I regard with high esteem. (I have noticed that you and me seem to share affection for certain Weather Report recordings, in fact.) I've got some stuff that I swear I could scarcely live without. Miles Davis' "E.S.P." is a good example.
I told you that so I could tell you this: That danged Henderson CD is absolutely sublime, to my ears, and in case you haven't heard it, I fervently recommend it to you.
As for me, I am still listening to the new "McCoy Tyner Quartet" CD, and liking it a lot.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aimee Allen's *Unofficial* Ron Paul Revolution Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =SBCKMTo210k&feature=related Did I mention that Aimee is eye candy? This led to a similar Aimee Allen piece. DARK ANGEL Aimee Allen - Revolution http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =KBUDOdht1VE In either case, who needs caffeine?

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 969
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, my musical selections are admittedly all over the map. Scofield's recent recordings are less appealing to me. Also listening to Ray Obiedo - The Modern World (1999).

I'll look out for those artists and recordings you mentioned. What can one say about Miles - no words.

Rit (and Patrice Rushen) and Kevin Eubanks will be playing at a very nice local nightclub and seeing as I've never seen them live, they might be worth checking out.

We pick up many CDs at a local used CD outlet chain here in California. If they don't have a given CD in stock, they can often get it. Then of course, there is Eb$y. When I think about it, I invest far too much into music, but I enjoy it.

A friend and I were discussing the various methods of digitizing (mp3, flac, ape etc...) your old vinyl, reel-to-reel, and cassettes. My collection dates back to the late 70s, even a few 8-track tapes from early 70s! A dedicated device might be best, such as this Audio Digitizer ---> http://www.cyberguys.com/templ ates/SearchDetail.asp?productI D=10029

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4139
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marshall Crenshaw (dedicated to Steve)

Postbop
Username: Postbop

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roy Haynes- Homecoming (car)
Joe Henderson Big Band (house)

Erikto

Post Number: 667
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Marley & the Wailers at Maple Leaf Gardens. Digitizng another cassette, currently at "Exodus". A lot of fans weren't wild about the horn section on the late '79 tour but I really like their sound. I'm pretty sure this was recorded on a Uher reel to reel, according to a mutual pal. For some reason, Detroit is one of the few cities from where no Wailers live recordings ever surfaced, at least not when I was in with the Marley-nuts.

Zephyrmec

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heading out for lunch now, It will be "Bongo Fury", Zappa and the Mothers with Captain Beefheart.... that was a good tour. The Zappa touring band circa 82 was better, but he was always a fantastic show.