Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through March 22, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Zappa at Hill Aud in A2 late 70's, Zoot Allures tour. Adrian Belew on guitar in a nurses uniform, Terry Bozzio on drums, great show. Still enjoy listening to that stuff. Hey Zeph, ever get into Zappa protege Wild Man Fisher?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 11838
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got a 48k/20-bit live recording of the first Dinner and a Show at Audra Kubat's Woodbridge home...got Blair kicking it out to 'Hey DJ', his tome to the old musical WDET and wonderful, always upbeat Ralph Valdez.

"The way you kiss my ears kicks my ass!" (you GO, Blair!)

Reliving an amazing night through digits...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5686
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exile on Main Street, best rock album ever. Hooray for the days before overproduced, overpolished garbage with an empty soul.

Gannon

Post Number: 11841
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EXACTLY what I'm trying to make go away with these live recordings...funny how even the musicians don't want to hear themselves, but EVERYONE else loves 'em. Nothing quite like sharing the energy of the event, funny how so many creators are hyper-critical of themselves that they have to erase any tiny intonation error or other glitch...the curse of Pro-Tools!

First time I saw the intonation correction in a studio I freaked out...too much power, too many dabblings...emptying out that soul, bit by bit. Bad enough it's sampled digital...so much is lost through the gaps between samples!

Cheers...

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3700
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Exile on Main Street, best rock album ever

Woah, opening up a can of worms there with that statement buddy. :-)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4151
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a good album. It's no Born To Run, but good.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5689
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Pam, a bold statement indeed. I will stand by it!

Gannon, you are so right. Reels are expensive, but if you use them to just record drums and bass tracks, and keep the rest digital, you can still save some money while also saving some of the warm fuzzy goodness. It's a good compromise!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5690
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Born to Run is too Spectoriffic to be real rock and roll. I'm afraid to spill my beer amongst those clean polished sounds. I feel like I need to wear my GOOD ripped jeans instead of my crappy ones.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5691
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Disclaimer: All in good fun, to each their own.

Pam

Post Number: 3702
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only like Stones songs when I don't have to hear Jagger singing them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =07oufBC_JjQ

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5693
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that a fact?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =lP4m7Yeo9_c&feature=related

Pam

Post Number: 3703
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is that a fact?

I should have said- when somebody I like is singing them. I don't like Jack's voice either.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5694
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right. Maybe someone with a smoother, melodic voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =E5gjlIQ1qvQ&feature=related

Pam

Post Number: 3704
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You're right. Maybe someone with a smoother, melodic voice

Eeek! No, no, no. Listen to the one I posted. :-)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5697
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha I did, very nice. BTW, the last one was a joke, but I'm sure you guessed that. :-)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2076
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Postbop, I'm a bit "hot & cold" on that Henderson record, but it sure has its moments. "Without A Song" is fabulous.
I wish Joe would have stuck around a little longer. Helluva musician, huh?

Gannon

Post Number: 11846
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JL,

Friend of mine, originally from Livonia, is quite the famous recording engineer in NYC (in some circles, heh)...and is known for capturing with analog reel-to-reel.

He was lamenting the closing of the last Ampeg factory, if I remember correctly, just last year. He bought as much stock as he could.

He also found these really cool CD-ROMs that look like mini vinyl records...I don't know where he shops, though...he gave me ten of them, and I've only found two things worthy to use 'em on!

Zephyrmec
Username: Zephyrmec

Post Number: 35
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to listen to the Wild Man once in a while, I haven't in years. Going to have to dig some up, it might be in storage with a lot of my stuff from 20-30 years ago, on vinyl of course. My tastes have changed somewhat in the 20 years or so since I quit using recreational substances.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 971
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

* David Sanborn - Closer
* John Scofield - Who's Who (1979)
* Miles Davis - Miles Smiles (1966 re-issue)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5710
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He also found these really cool CD-ROMs that look like mini vinyl records...I don't know where he shops, though...he gave me ten of them, and I've only found two things worthy to use 'em on!

I've got a bunch of those. We used to use them for burning copies of our demo, to make them a little more unique. They are pretty neat.

Downriviera

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bought some of the cdr's that look like vinyl at Best Buy, brand is Verbatim.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4154
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beck - Odelay

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5730
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elton John: 11-17-70

The original three man lineup recorded live for a small audience. No bells and whistles on this recording. If only he could have stayed that way!

Also peppering in a few Tumbleweed Junction tunes.

Downriviera

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elton John 11-17-70 is really good. Take Me To The Pilot is my favorite EJ tune, and Bad Side Of The Moon, nicely covered later on by Canada's April Wine.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 973
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe Henderson - So Near, So Far
Luther Vandross - Never Too Much

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4172
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael Franti and Spearhead - Everyone Deserves Music

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2144
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

accuradio has a nice link to building your own station and it's free....nice to listen to while battling the "other" side :-)

how many are waiting for Van Morrison's new release?

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 668
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam Cooke & the Soul Stirrers' "Last Mile of the Way"- making a cdr compilation from some of my gospel rekkids.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2145
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speaking of Gospel: Ramsey Lewis had a great jazzy gospel..thing out last year...and the Staples had great one produced by Ry Cooper. We'll Never Turn Back

Pam

Post Number: 3718
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carlene Carter-Stronger