Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through March 30, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 824
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watched the Crossroads Festival again this morning.
Eric Clapton had a grin from ear to ear while playing on stage with Buddy Guy, Hubert Sumlin, Jimmy Vaughn and Robert Cray.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 974
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy Cobham - Drum'N'Voice Volume 2 (2006)
Chopin - Piano Concerto Number 1 & 2 (Krystian Zimerman)

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5757
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listening to that Plant/Krauss album again, it is growing on me more and more. Gone, Gone, Gone is an especially fun song.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4184
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greg Brown.

Pam, what do you think of that Carlene Carter?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3728
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pam, what do you think of that Carlene Carter?

I need to play it some more, but my first reaction was positive.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4189
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked her, and am glad she seems to be getting it together.

Pam

Post Number: 3730
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I always liked her, and am glad she seems to be getting it together.

Ok, I am playing it again. Her voice sounds good, I like the songs. My only beef is the production is a little slick/cheesy in spots.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5773
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Raconteurs album. Don't know what I think yet. It'll take me a little more time exploring around with my ear before I can give an opinion.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4203
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*nods* too Nashville?

I will pick up the Raconteurs later in the week. Currently listening to Marshall Crenshaw (again).

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 5550
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric Burden - My Secret Life

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5774
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I don't think it's too Nashville. It's definitely different than the first album though. It's niether Jackier nor Brendanier than before. Just different.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 670
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here hip to Acid Mothers Temple? The guys who host the radio show after mine like 'em and introduced me to their music. It reminds me of early MK II (excluding their brief 5-person line up with Gilmour and Barrett) Pink Floyd- Ummagumma, Saucerful era, when their live arrangements often ended with protracted sonic blow-outs. I am hoping to see them in my town this week, which usually means they'll be in or around Detroit soon as well.
At this moment I am listening to another lo-fi audience recording- Electric Flag in Boston, September '67, at the Psychedelic Supermarket. Why wasn't "Groovin' Is Easy" not a bigger hit?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4204
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry, JL. I was responding to Pam's remark about Carlene Carter. I think I have Lange-itis.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 5776
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I gotcha. They're both in Nashville, hence the confusion.

Pam

Post Number: 3739
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

*nods* too Nashville?

Well, not quite that bad.

Lange
Username: Lange

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm sorry, JL. I was responding to Pam's remark about Carlene Carter. I think I have Lange-itis.

Old Red?
I didn’t even put my two cents in this conversation, and you brought my name up.
You’re thinking about me when I’m not even around, aren’t you? That must mean you’re in love with me. Go ahead, you can admit it. That’s how you liberal chicks are.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 996
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Lange is stalking checking up on oldredfordette's posts? That's how those conservatives are...

Back to the thread, listening to the Marsalis Family Concert CD. Gotta love Wynton's intro to "Cain and Abel", especially if you have sibs!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5295
Posted on Wednesday, March 26, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faith No More's Angel Dust.

Probably the most underrated album put out in the 90's.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 673
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't suppose Faith No More are covering the Gil Scott-Heron song on there...?
I'm surprised this thread stalled at 498 posts, someone gets to be # 500 next.At this moment I am listening to Acid Mothers Temple from their show tonight at the Horseshoe in my town. I believe Detroit is their next stop? They were in Montreal on Thursday and I thought Detroit but not Buffalo were listed. Anyone here hip to these guys? Japan's answer to my favourite(ish) Pink Floyd era- their live recordings from 1969-71 when they were playing some intense, brain-box-burning jams that I'm sure some people hate, like the Sex Pistols and the other punk bands. I swear one of Acid Mother Temple's jams sounds like part of the pre-'Funky Dung' middle of "Atom Heart Mother". I'm still winding down- in a way that normal people probably wind up for a party night, as opposed to turning in after a 3:30 am plate of pasta when I have to be semi-coherent and in front of normal people bright and early tomorrow. Still this show was awesome and I just wanted to recommend checking these guys out. Sometimes thrashy, usually spacey, always shroomy....

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5301
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atom Heart Mother is an album one must learn to love. Even David Gilmour learned to like it years after saying that it was crap. It was almost used in Clockwork Orange, but Waters told Kubrick to fuck himself.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4230
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alison Moorer - Mockingbird

It's been on heavy rotation since I saw her live a couple weeks ago. "Orphan Train" is a standout.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 976
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two new CDs:
* Victor Wooten - Palmystery
* Joe Satriani - Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4232
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traveling Wilburys. Vol. 1

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4234
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ryan Adams - Whiskeytown. Big iTunes list.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1628
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still listening to all these free and legal mp3s....

http://sxsw.mobi/music/showcas es/?a=showMP3

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 182
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_detroit

Thanks for the link, this will keep me busy for awhile. Really like GG Elvis.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 931
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hudsons - (turned up to 11, more powerful then ten you know)

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 326
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lupe Fiasco - The Cool

Wow, I've heard of maybe 20% of this music.. The Generation Gap is real

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always love the Supersuckers, Cranford Nix, the Temptations, Archers of Loaf, Husker Du and Easy Action. Maybe they're nothing new, but they work for me

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4235
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old are you (ballpark), Rosedaleken?