Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through April 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb - I'd never heard of The Hudsons. So I googled their website and listened to some of their music. Its good - I like it.

I listen to all kinds of music but mostly I like country and the oldies - and anything Elvis.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 3796
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like too much Elvis but I like this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E l_vez

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1640
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Green Haze - Elvis Hitler

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 978
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dannielle Gaha - Chocolate for Holly

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 327
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A ripe old 24.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JOHN COLTRANE

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Streaming the "Deadheads for Obama" show--Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Mickey Hart and Friends.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 980
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosedaleken, you are a young fella. I'm a crotchety old 40 something :-) ex-Detroiter who hails from south Rosedale Park.

I read that Mr. Fiasco is quite the Renaissance man. I will check out his music. I have a small problem with the choice of language in many of the lyrics in the genre.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 1226
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kem

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a mixed cd of shirley horn

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 984
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jaco Pastorius - Word Of Mouth

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 5936
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldred, did you pick up the Raconteurs yet? I believe I am underwhelmed.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4255
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't, mostly because of reviews like yours.

Someone will pass me a copy sometime. In the meantime I'll wait for Brendan Benson to put out another solo CD.

Listened to Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild at work last night. It was a lovely way to end my day.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4262
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My beloved surprised me with a copy of Raconteurs today - I haven't listened to it yet, but it will sound sweeter to me because of the giver!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 1014
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least it's music to my ears, but I have scavanged old Detroit/Motor City dragway commercials off the internet in MP3 for my player.
And alot of CKLW and Keener radio spots. Nice to hear once in a while.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 677
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ancient Chinese Secret- an all-instrumental 3 piece (git/ bass/ drums) that performs covers like "Runaway" which is on my stereo right now. They were called Atomic 7 until switching bass players. The guitar player Brian is a great player who has some really cool vintage guitars. He is best known for the twangy instrumentals (including the theme) for the t.v. show Kids In The Hall, with Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet. Fans of upbeat surfy instrumentals will almost certainly love these guys, one of these weeks I'll ask them if I can shoot some digital video of their live act to post on Youtube, where all I have uploaded is a clip of "Kitty's Back" from Springsteen's recent show in Hamilton- I wanted to shoot the second half of that rare live treat with the 6-odd minutes available on my camera's card, but security made me stop, and the last seconds of the clip has the flashlight zooming in on me. I thought it was funny.

Pam

Post Number: 3843
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The guitar player Brian is a great player who has some really cool vintage guitars. He is best known for the twangy instrumentals (including the theme) for the t.v. show Kids In The Hall, with Shadowy Men On A Shadowy Planet.

He has also played on some of Neko Case's albums.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 679
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Pam! I didn't know that.
Still listening to 'em. Last time they finished with Link Wray's 'The Chicken'. They have an early PWYC weekly spot at the Cadillac Lounge, which gets folks like Robert Gordon & Wanda Jackson when they come to town. I've missed Wanda each time, I know I can be lame, I probably even have more old Wanda albums than a lot of the people who take the initiative to go see her.

Pam

Post Number: 3844
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric if you like Wanda, I recommend this DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Women-Ro ckabilly-Welcome-Club/dp/B0006 A9IIE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd &qid=1207420191&sr=1-1

Lots of other great ladies in it too.

Downriviera

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saw Wanda Jackson at a club in Dearborn a few years ago. She puts on a great show and is very gracious. Loved it.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4291
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: I like the Raconteurs well enough, they sure do miss the 70's, don't they?

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6028
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They suuuuure do. Even though they were maybe 3 years old.

Still making up my mind!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4292
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try blasting it.

My biggest bitch about it is not enough Brendan Benson. I really like his singing.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6029
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really dislike his rhyming. There seems to be less of that on this album though.

You could tell he wrote the lyrics to Intimate Secretary on the last album. UGH with the bad rhyming!

I've got a rabbit, it likes to hop
I've got a girl and she likes to shop
The other foot looks like it won't drop
I had an uncle and he got shot

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette, the Raconteurs will be at the Fillmore on 06-07-08 . Tickets on sale now.

W/ The Black Lips

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4294
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A work night. Dammit.

Jack White is all about the guitar.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 6030
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another one that hurts me, from Alternative To Love:

Maybe if I lay real still
It will go away, maybe it will
Maybe this time I won't budge
Maybe I just need a little nudge
Maybe this time I won't flinch
Maybe this time it might be a cinch
Maybe this time I won't run
Maybe I'll own up to what I've done
What have I done?

It's just the cinch that bugs me.

But this is good hearted ribbing, as I like Brendan too.

Downriviera

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dig'in the new Black Keys release.

Pam

Post Number: 3868
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

UGH with the bad rhyming!

I think he has more problems than just the rhyming. Are all his lyrics that childish sounding?