Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! - Archives » Archive through April 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back again.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 943
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been looking at the site and downloading some of them. They are just too darn cute!

Bigb23

Post Number: 664
Posted on Friday, February 29, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More

-

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 3954
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could we talk about products that you just can't live without? Staples you think are above and beyond?

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1637
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brown rice
Wild rice
Maple syrup
Eggs
Onions
Peppers
Garlic
Cinnamon
Chili powder
Coffee
Peanut butter

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4037
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

garlic (fresh)
coffee
onions
red wine
whole spices
all manner of pastas, including couscous
rice (all types)
bulgar wheat
canned tomatoes
jar pesto
oatmeal
dark chocolate
garbanzo beans

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adding to my list:

Canned tomatoes
Canned beans, all kinds
Lentils
Canned ham, chicken, turkey, tuna, salmon
Green and black olives, preferably kalamata

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4091
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We're having perfect grilled steaks tonight. Well, they would be perfect if I had some Detroit Spice Co. steak rub.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had something called Bread Cheese. I think it is like a thick slice of Kaseri, like for Saganaki Opa. I got it at Holiday Market. We served it up with some nice Avalon Beer Bread, dried kiwis, fresh tomatoes and Kalamata olives. No cooking, except you heat the cheese on a lightly oiled pie plate in the oven for about 15 minutes at 400 or so. It looked so pretty with all the colors and was very very tasty.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4094
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love that cheese. Or I did until last month, when I got my cholesterol readings.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never heard of it before. I was just prospecting that wonderful cheese counter when I spotted it and started fantasizing over this wonderful exotic meal. I have to watch the cholesterol, too, so it will have to just be an occasional treat.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4097
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you tried their Cantel cheese? oooh oooh ooh.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I think I am just going to work my way from one end of the counter to the other, and in a couple of years, I will have tried them all. I also got some Tillamook Cheddar and some kind of cream chevre today. Splurge!

I've also been sampling the coffees, and am hooked on Michigan Maple.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A while ago someone posted the recipe for Crock Pot Lasagna and I printed it off. Finally got a chance to make it, and it turned out really good.

Just wanted to say thanks and that it is a dish that I will make again!

Bigb23

Post Number: 907
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long time no post-

Just for fun -
what would you find in a bachelor pantry?

Bigb23

Post Number: 908
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raman noodles?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mac & Cheese, pizza fixings, chili fixings. How about this,

Cajun Butter Beans

1 or 2 cans of butter beans, rinsed and drained
2-4 slices bacon, cut up and fried, keep the grease.

Now, in said bacon grease, saute up some chopped onions, red and green peppers, a good spoonful of minced garlic (get the jar of minced garlic if you don't like mincing your own), chopped celery, a shake or two of crushed red pepper (or tabasco sauce). Add in the beans and a small can of chopped tomatoes, and simmer this for at least 20 minutes to blend the flavors thoroughly.

Some people like to add a spoonful or two of brown sugar and some mustard.

The celery, onion and peppers are known as the holy trinity of Cajun cooking.

Bigb23

Post Number: 914
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I get a chance, I'll try that Gaz. I should get rid of that 50# bag of Purina Bachelor Chow though.

( makes a nice gravy with warm beer poured over it) :-)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 124
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernors ham aka Detroit ham

(this is SO good, I make it every Easter)

1 liter Vernors
8 oz. jar dijon mustard
2 c. orange marmalade
1 c. light brown sugar
1 c. orange juice

1 liter Vernors in a small pot and boil rapidly until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. To this syrup, add mustard, marmalade, sugar, and orange juice. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until the consistency of a light syrup.

Baste ham during the last 45 minutes of cooking (baste at 8 to 10 minute intervals). You can also serve the remaining glaze as a sauce, or add a roux (haha, bachelors!) or cornstarch to make a gravy. So awesome over mashed potatoes!

Bigb23

Post Number: 937
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - I know what a roux is, :-). Unfortunately, my finances don't match my talents.(Michigan in gutter)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Habitant Pea Soup

Serves: 6 Servings

Ingredients:

* 2 c Yellow split peas
* 8 c Water
* 2 lb Smoked ham hocks
* 1 lg Onion, chopped
* 1/2 c Celery leaves, chopped
* 1/2 ts Summer savory
* 1/4 ts Thyme
* 3 tb Fresh parsley, chopped
* Black pepper
* Salt

Instructions:
Soak peas overnight. Drain the peas and place them in a large soup kettle
with the water, ham hocks, onion, celery, and seasoning. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for three hours, stirring frequently. The
peas are done when soft and creamy. Add black pepper and salt to taste.

Traditional Quebec dish.
Extra good with a dollop of sherry in the middle.

Johnny Cake
Here is an example of a common jonnycake recipe that makes eight to ten cakes:

Ingredients:

* 1 cup ground white or yellow corn meal
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 1/4 cups boiling water
* 1/2 cup milk (optional) Water is traditional

Combine corn meal, salt, and sugar and mix well. Gradually stir in water until mixture is smooth. It will be quite thick and the consistency of mashed potatoes. For thinner jonnycakes, add up to 1/2 cup milk or water.

Heat griddle and thoroughly grease with butter (bacon grease). Drop batter by tablespoons onto griddle and fry over medium heat for about six minutes or until small bubbles pop on top of the pancake. Be careful griddle is not too hot. Turn and cook on the other side for another six minutes. Serve buttered with maple or pancake syrup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J onnycakes

(Message edited by gazhekwe on April 08, 2008)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4303
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm extra good with a dollop of sherry, too.

I've been eating asparagus till it's coming out of my ears. I'm microwaving it, roasting it, grilling it, stir-fry, if they're very thin I eat it raw.

Any asparagus recipes? It's spring! Time for smelly pee!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1861
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tourtiere - Habitant Meat Pie

1 lb. ground pork
1/2 lb. ground beef (you can use any ground meat)
1 med. onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. water
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. ground sage
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cloves

Cook all ingredients together, stirring constantly until meat is light brown in appearance, but still moist, about 4-5 minutes.

Prepare favorite pie crust. (Go ahead, use Pillsbury :-))

Pour mixture into pastry lined pie plate, cover with top crust that has slits in it. Seal and press firmly around edges with a fork. Bake at 400 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes until crust is golden brown. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1862
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Maple Desserts:

Maple Walnut Praline

1 cup pure maple syrup plus more for serving
3/4 cup walnut pieces

Boil 1 cup maple syrup in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes [Until Candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees]. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts. Stir mixture frequently until syrup begins to get cloudy, about 2 minutes. Pour mixture onto sheet of greased foil and cool. Chop praline finely [to use as garnish on pies, ice cream or pancakes, or break into serving size pieces.

Maple Walnut Pie

INGREDIENTS

* 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1 1/4 cups maple syrup
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 3 eggs
* 1 1/2 teaspoons maple flavored extract
* 1 cup walnut halves

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C.)
2. In a saucepan, Mix brown sugar and flour. Add maple syrup, butter and salt. Heat until butter melts, stirring constantly.
3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with maple flavoring. Stir in sugar mixture. Pour into unbaked pie shell and sprinkle with walnuts.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until filling is set.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/M aple-Walnut-Pie/Detail.aspx

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe - I'd love to make those maple treats - but just from reading the recipes I started to expand! LOL

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've actually made them in the past, when we made our own maple syrup. It is very hard to stop eating. Mmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette: I've made this asparagus recipe, courtesy of the food network, and it's very good. It's hard to beat fresh asparagus.

3/4 pound fresh asparagus
Good olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/8 cup freshly grated Parmesan
6 extra-large eggs
3 tablespoons half-and-half
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
2 to 4 slices 7-grain bread

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Break off the tough ends of the asparagus and, if they're thick, peel them. Place the asparagus on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, then toss to coat the asparagus completely. Spread the asparagus in a single layer and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast the asparagus for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender but still crisp. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and return to the oven for 5 minutes, or until the cheese melts.

While the asparagus is roasting, whisk the eggs in a bowl with the half-and-half, and salt and pepper, to taste. Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet. Cook the eggs on the lowest heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, to the desired doneness. Remove from the heat, add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon of butter, and stir until it melts. Check for seasoning, salt and pepper, if needed.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4346
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was very good, TD. Thanks. I think any combination of asparagus and eggs is a winner.

I'm making salads for a bbq, my carrot and apple salad (I've posted that recipe before) and a gemelli pasta with tomatoes and pistachios in a creamy yogurt dressing. This is a new recipe, I hope it's good.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1929
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to try this idea from USA Weekend this week, Dinner in a Foil Packet.

Preheat oven to 500 degrees and set rack at lowest position.

Flavoring Combo, Italian, BBQ or Lemon Dill. I pick Italian:

1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 cup crushed canned tomatoes
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 c. capers
1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper

1 pound Vegetable, asparagus, peppers, bok choy, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, sugar snap peas, grape tomatoes.

I pick asparagus, cut into 1 inch lengths.

1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, boneless skinless chicken breast, extra large shrimp, dry sea scallops, center cut salmon fillets.

I pick the shrimp, 21-25, peeled and deveined.

Mix the shrimp and flavoring and asparagus in a bowl. Divide onto four 12 x 18 sheets of heavy duty foil, vegetables on the bottom, shrimp on top. Fold over the foil, long ways then crosswise twice, crimping the edges to seal. Bake for 15 minutes on lowest rack at 500 degrees.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 1949
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, that was pretty good, could have used a dab of Instant Rice on the bottom, and a tad longer in the oven. I might have a slow oven.