Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » The Practitioners of Peace » Archive through June 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 12446
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Liberals have blood running through their veins? Not ice?

Steelers
Username: Steelers

Post Number: 4609
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture of the Week

This Islamic teacher is in trouble for beating a blind 7-year-old to death for not memorizing the Qur'an. Islam does teach that children should be beaten for neglecting religious duties, but not necessarily killed.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 2844
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

take that back...:-(

notice he was arrested...

Ccbatson

Post Number: 12480
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, the crime is attributable to the individual committing it, not their religion.

Gibran

Post Number: 2845
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cc :-)

Steelers

Post Number: 4668
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Correct, the crime is attributable to the individual committing it, not their religion.

Had he BEATEN him and not KILLED him,
it would have been justified by Islam.

Translation of Sunan Abu-Dawud, Book 2:, Number 0494:

Narrated As-Saburah:

The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: Command a boy to pray when he reaches the age of seven years. When he becomes ten years old, then beat him for prayer.

http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/fu ndamentals/hadithsunnah/abudaw ud/002.sat.html#002.0494

Steelers

Post Number: 4669
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps it was a Freudian slip? Or Saudi 'gamesmanship'?

Before a soccer match in Riyadh between the national teams of Lebanon and Saudi Arabia, the Saudis played the SYRIAN National Anthem.

Saudis play SYRIAN anthem before a game against Lebanon

Steelers

Post Number: 4716
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 8:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Geert Wilders Speech in Danish Parlement
June 6, 2008
quote:

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am very honoured indeed to have been invited by the Danish Free Press Society to speak in the Danish Parliament, the heart of Danish democracy.

As you may know, the title of my short film about the Koran and Islam is Fitna. Fitna is an Arabic word with many meanings. The most common translation is ‘ordeal’ or ‘trial’. The name Fitna symbolises my view that Islam is the ordeal with which the free West is currently confronted. Are we prepared to defend our achievements, such as the equality of men and women, of heterosexuals and homosexuals as well as the separation of Church and State? I would like to throw some light today on the question of whether the Netherlands and Europe will be able to face that ordeal and stand the test. I will also address the question of why I made Fitna, and relate to you some of the reactions to my film as well as some of my personal circumstances. Lastly, I will offer you some thoughts on the future for freedom and democracy in Europe.

Let me first explain to you why I made Fitna.

It is an indisputable fact that the Netherlands and Europe are in the process of being Islamised. For those who still doubt whether this is actually so, let me give you a few figures. In 1909, a century ago now, there were fifty-four Muslims living in the Netherlands, in 1960 there were thirteen hundred and ninety-nine, in 1990 four hundred and fifty eight thousand, and currently about one million. In France approximately ten percent of the population are Muslims. A total of fifty-four million Muslims live in Europe. In less than half a century the number of Muslims has increased considerably in practically all of Europe. Within a few decades the street scenes in Europe, particularly in the densely populated parts, have drastically changed. In countries such as the Netherlands, Germany and Denmark headscarves and burkahs have now become integrated and are part of our daily experience.

However, the Islamisation of Europe encompasses much more than that. It also affects the European achievements of the last century. It is sad to see that the equality of men and women in the Europe of 2008 is under pressure. Take for example the rise in the number of honour killings, or attempts to introduce sharia wills and testaments – which award women with half of what men receive – or the refusal by radical Muslims to shake hands with women. The same applies to the equality of heterosexuals and homosexuals. In Amsterdam, once the gay capital of the world, gay men are regularly beaten up, not infrequently by Moroccans.

In trying to find an explanation for the Islamic intolerance and hatred against our whole way of life and the West as such, some take the view that it must be the result of the prior European colonisation of the Arabic-Muslim world. Others name the American-British attack on the Iraq of Saddam Hussein, the presence of NATO troops in Afghanistan, or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict as a possible cause. Poverty in the Muslim world is also frequently mentioned. However, in my opinion, none of these factors really explains the issue.

I am convinced that the explanation is Islam as such. The core of Islam is the seventh-century Koran, as well as the life of the prophet Mohammed. The Koran is very different from the Bible, in that it contains commands and injunctions that are neither place- nor time-bound. This means that the calls to Muslims to kill non-Muslims (to be found, for example, in sura 4 verse 89 and sura 47 verse 4), or to terrorise non-Muslims (sura 8 verse 60), as well as the duty to wage war (for example, sura 8 verse 39) – in other words, the jihad – apply directly to the Muslims of today. The judgment on the Jews which the Koran delivers up to three times (sura 2 verse 65, sura 5 verse 60 and sura 7 verse 166), namely that they are monkeys and pigs, is not time-bound either, so it applies equally in 2008.

I have read the Koran several times now and every time I come to the conclusion that the Koran calls for hatred, violence, submission, murder and terrorism, and, moreover, that this is not confined to the seventh century either. Again and again I come to the conclusion that the Koran is not only a book of war, but that there is an inseparable connection between the Koran and Islam as such, and the atrocities committed by Muslims.

Apart from the Koran, the life of the Prophet Mohammed plays a crucial part as well. Mohammed was involved in a large number of bloody wars, anywhere between twenty-five and thirty of them. Islamic tradition tells us how he fought in battles, especially in his Medina-time, how he had enemies murdered and even had prisoners of war executed. Mohammed ruled over Mecca and Medina and subsequently the entire Arabic peninsula. The brave apostate Wafa Sultan said: “The problem is that de Koran clearly says that Mohammed should be a role model for every Muslim. You are not allowed to criticise him, but you should follow in his footsteps. As a Muslim it is your mission to spread Islam by the sword”.

In fact Islam is an ideology rather than a religion. It is a system that lays down rules and regulations for socio-political life. Islamic law, the sharia, not only legislates in criminal matters but also, for example, in the areas of personal and family law. The Belgian Professor of Islamic Studies, Urbain Vermeulen, once said that Islam is ten percent religion and ninety percent ideology. Of course, there is nothing wrong with ideologies as such, take liberalism for example. But an ideology is wrong if it is totalitarian. As a matter of fact, Islamic ideology shows striking similarities with communism and fascism. One could mention its anti-democratic character, the will to exercise total control over social life and the use of violence to subject dissenters. In fact, the Islamic ideology is totalitarian in character. Islam is not compatible with freedom and democracy. I want to emphasize that I am not talking about the people, the Muslims, but about the Islamic ideology.

I have warned against the dangers of the Koran and Islam in numerous interviews, opinion articles, speeches and, of course parliamentary debates, but a single picture often says more than a thousand words. That is why I decided last year to put my views on Islam and the Koran into a short film. This resulted in the Fitna premiere at the end of March. Without putting all Muslims into the same category, I hope I have succeeded in showing that the Koran is not some dusty old book, but that it is used today as a source of inspiration for, and justification of, hatred, violence and terrorism in the world; in Europe, in the Netherlands and in Denmark.

More @
http://www.pvv.nl/index.php?op tion=com_content&task=view&id= 1108&Itemid=1

Direct Link to Video of Speech

Steelers

Post Number: 4737
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAMAS wants YOUR money!

This is Ismail Haniyeh, the leader of the Hamas terror group, which the Palestinians have chosen to run their government. He wants your money... unconditionally.

These are his people, the Hamas terrorists who have slaughtered hundreds of innocent people in shopping malls, cafes and even on buses. (They're holding Qur'ans).

This is an example of who they murder: Mazal Marciano a talented and devoted mother of two small children. She made easy pickings for Haniyeh and his henchmen.

Gibran

Post Number: 2870
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here is another innocent ...when are we going to say enough...enough to terrorists and enough to the conditions that breed them////

by the way she was an American..killed by an American made bulldozer...she was protesting collective punishment...

so enough ...if the methods hasn't worked in 50 years why do we need to continue...no more terror by anyone over there.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rachel Corrie? (sp?)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4815
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Rachel Corrie.

An Israeli bulldozer killed poor Rachel Corrie
As she stood in its path in the town of Rafah
She lost her young life in an act of compassion
Trying to protect the poor people of Gaza
Whose homes are destroyed by tank shells and bulldozers
And whose plight is exploited by suicide bombers
Who kill in the name of the people of Gaza
But Rachel Corrie believed in non-violent resistance
Put herself in harm's way as a shield of the people
And paid with her life in a manner most brutal

But you who philosophise disgrace and criticise all fears,
Take the rag away from your face.
Now ain't the time for your tears.

Rachel Corrie had 23 years
She was born in the town of Olympia, Washington
A skinny, messy, list-making chain-smoker
Who volunteered to protect the Palestinian people
Who had become non-persons in the eyes of the media
So that people were suffering and no one was seeing
Or hearing or talking or caring or acting
And the horrible math of the awful equation
That brought Rachel Corrie into this confrontation
Is that the spilt blood of a single American
Is worth more than the blood of a hundred Palestinians ...

from the Lonesome Death of Rachel Corrie by Billy Bragg

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a horrific act of savagery. Ran that kid over intentionally and then backed over her again.

No apology from anyone.

Steelers

Post Number: 4766
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaza Islamists Eager to Start Chopping

Hamas has turned Gaza into an abominable hell-hole of Islamist fanaticism and terrorism—but it’s still not barbaric enough for some: Qaeda groups active in Gaza after year under Hamas.
quote:

Abu Hafss is not happy.

A year after Hamas Islamists seized control of the Gaza Strip, Abu Hafss is waiting impatiently to see a sword remove the hand of a thief or a woman stoned to death for adultery.

“Hamas does not implement the rule of God,” the Palestinian ally of al Qaeda said. “We have seen no one have his hand cut off for stealing. We have seen no one stoned as an adulterer.”

Yet for all Abu Hafss’ disappointment with the approach Hamas has adopted since it routed secular rivals in Gaza a year ago, some analysts believe smaller, more radical groups like Abu Hafss’ secretive Jaysh al-Ummah (Army of the Nation) have benefited from the Hamas takeover to expand their membership.

Despite an official Hamas policy of respecting the rights of Gaza’s small Christian minority, there has been an increase in attacks on Christians in the past year, apparently by Islamists not content with the extent of Hamas’s “Islamisation” of Gaza.

Gibran

Post Number: 2883
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bringing up Christian Rights in the Holy Land ...the Christians have been challenged and have been driven out of many villages in the region ...they are an endangered group of peoples in the land of their birth...this is the result of both groups vying for control...the evangelical groups here as well don't see their counterparts in the region as on the same level...Imagine that!

http://www.amconmag.com/2004_0 5_24/article.html

http://www.internal-displaceme nt.org/idmc/website/countries. nsf/(httpEnvelopes)/F11200E8ECD83F 71802570B8005A7276?OpenDocumen t

there is plenty of blame to go around on this issue..but not many people working for results..

Ccbatson

Post Number: 12600
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driven out by whom? or what?

Gibran

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were driven out by the creation of Israel and the pressure form extremists...and have suffered at the hands of both sides of the conflict...

http://www.iht.com/articles/20 02/10/09/edcook_ed3_.php

http://www.annaqed.com/en/cont ent/show.aspx?aid=16062

http://www.thejerusalemfund.or g/carryover/pubs/20020312ib.ht ml

bottom line is the conditions are driving them out...and by whom...those who want a homogeonous society

Gibran

Post Number: 2898
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daily Star:

WASHINGTON: Anti-Americanism is at record levels thanks to US government policies such as the war in Iraq, and Washington's apparent hypocrisy in abiding by its own democratic values, a panel of US lawmakers said Wednesday. A House of Representatives committee report based on expert testimony and polling data reveals US approval ratings have fallen to record lows across the world since 2002, particularly in the Islamic world and Latin America.

It says the problem arises not from a rejection of US culture, values and power but primarily from its Washington's policies, such as backing authoritarian regimes while officially promoting democracy, human rights and the rule of law.

"Our physical strength has come to be seen not as a solace but as a threat, not as a guarantee of stability and order but as a source of intimidation, violence and torture," said Democrat Bill Delahunt, chairman of the Subcommittee on International Organizations, Human Rights and Oversight.

"We have dangerously depleted what [19th-century President Ulysses S.] Grant... identified as our greatest source of international power - our reputation for what he called conscience. I would substitute the phrase 'moral authority,'" the congressman added.

The report says that specific policies are to blame for falling approval ratings, notably the 2003 invasion and continuing occupation of Iraq, support for some repressive governments, what is referred to as a "perception" of bias in the Israeli-Palestinian dispute, and the torture and abuse of prisoners.

It says "disappointment and bitterness" have grown from the impression that "proclaimed US values of democracy, human rights and rule of law have been selectively ignored by successive administrations" for national security or economic ends.

The committee also says unilateralism, particularly in military action, has led to "anger and a fear of attack that are transforming disagreements with US policy into a broadening and deepening anti-Americanism."

These factors, as well as various US visa and immigration issues, have helped to create a "growing belief in the Islamic world that the United States is using the 'war on terror' as a cover for its attempts to destroy Islam," the report concludes. - AFP, with The Daily Star

sorry for the cut & paste....

Steelers

Post Number: 4800
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Robert Mugabe's militia burn opponent’s wife alive
quote:

The men who pulled up in three white pickup trucks were looking for Patson Chipiro, head of the Zimbabwean opposition party in Mhondoro district. His wife, Dadirai, told them he was in Harare but would be back later in the day, and the men departed.

An hour later they were back. They grabbed Mrs Chipiro and chopped off one of her hands and both her feet. Then they threw her into her hut, locked the door and threw a petrol bomb through the window.

The killing last Friday – one of the most grotesque atrocities committed by Robert Mugabe’s regime since independence in 1980 – was carried out on a wave of worsening brutality before the run-off presidential elections in just over two weeks. It echoed the activities of Foday Sankoh, the rebel leader in the Sierra Leone civil war that ended in 2002, whose trade-mark was to chop off hands and feet.

Mrs Chipiro, 45, a former pre-school teacher, was the second wife of a junior official of the Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) burnt alive last Friday by Zanu (PF) militiamen. Pamela Pasvani, the 21-year-old pregnant wife of a local councillor in Harare, did not suffer mutilation but died later of her burns; his six-year-old son perished in the flames.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/t ol/news/world/africa/article41 16638.ece

Not sorry for the cut & paste, as that is how we post issues in order to be aware of them and discuss, because after all, forums are about discussing issues, duh

Gibran

Post Number: 2912
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes ..the daily posting of how bad the world is....

Steelers

Post Number: 4826
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feds: Virginia Islamic school
"teaching hate, violence"

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/ news?pid=20601116&sid=aBqRU9kr 7vc4&refer=africa

Gibran

Post Number: 2927
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://newsweek.washingtonpost .com/onfaith/projects/muslimss peakout/index.html

Muslims speak out>>>

Steelers

Post Number: 4895
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Multiculturalism in Sweden

Ccbatson

Post Number: 12683
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran....which extremists drove them out, and how? Could it be that they chose to leave? Surely not every single Christian has left...we all know that to be false.

Gibran

Post Number: 2992
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CC we all know that there are Christians left...but what has never been acknowledged or accepted as the number of villages that Israel has taken over and that having to deal with extremists (Muslim and Jewish) has taken it's toll on the indigenous population of Christians...especially in Palestine...

here is an example you need to re-read the history: the above links help...it was described by on writer that between Hamas and "some" Israeli ..actions that Christians in the Holy Land are between a rock and a hard place....

this is a petition from a group of Christians in Palestine...Denial that Israel has not been hard on them is as wrong as saying that they are doing great under Hamas...

Your Holiness Pope Benedict XIV,
Your Holiness, we are Palestinian Christians from Jerusalem, Nazareth, Bethlehem, Haifa, Tiberius, Beit Jala and many other Palestinian cities, towns and villages. We have been completely uprooted from the place of our birth, our land and homes have been confiscated through Zionist terror since 1947/48 and today’s Israelis are still in the process of emptying the country where Christ was born and which saw the first community who followed his teachings of its Christian population.

418 Arab towns and villages inhabited by both our monotheist Muslim compatriot sisters and brothers and us, Palestinian Arab Christians, had been destroyed and emptied of its people.

We are afraid that there shall come a time in which the doors of the Church of Annunciation in Nazareth, the Church of Nativity in Bethlehem and the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem and many others, shall be forced to remain locked because there shall be no Christian worshipers to pray in them, and the best use of them is to become museums.

We were shocked because at the time when Palestinian Christians and Muslims are commemorating the “Nakba”, their catastrophe, when about half of them were annihilated and/or uprooted from their land and homes to be replaced by mostly converted Jews, you congratulate the racist Zionist state of Israel upon its 60th anniversary, without any mention of the 60th “anniversary” of our Nakba. Sixty long years of exile, “diaspora”, pain, dispossession and displacement.

The state of Israel that was and has being neglecting and disdaining all United Nations’ resolutions starting with Resolution 194 - stating the need to implement the return of Palestinians to their homes and land and compensating them for their loses as a condition of the acceptance of the state of Israel to the membership of the United Nations, which was neglected and disobeyed.

Your Holiness, it is our heartfelt belief that you owe the Palestinian Arab people, including the members of the Church you guide, an apology, and that you recognize the importance of the Right of Return of Palestinian Arab people to their Land and homes, as per the UN Resolution 194.

With all our respect and appreciation.

Bassam Abu-Ghazalah
Lutuf Ghantous
Adib S Kawar

Ccbatson

Post Number: 12698
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are still being far too vague to support your argument. What was extreme? How were they pressured?

The letters you copied are similarly vague..."we have been uprooted by zionist terrorism"...not a sufficient statement to prove the serious allegation that it makes.

Gibran

Post Number: 2994
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do we have to review the Whole Diaspora thing again? They were driven out of their villages in the 40's, by threats and potential violence by advancing Armies..Deir Yassin was an example that was used to psychological scare the Palestians out of their homes (despite what revisionist history has written)...they are being driven out by extremists in Hamas/PA today...they are being harassed by all sides...denial is not going to solve the issue..

we all know that there was a time when all three groups got along in the hOly Land...that this violence is a result of politics...

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/ newsfull.php?newid=116768

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 777
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't they all just make an agreement to give it up? Whoever doesn't, and still wants to fight, would be the ones who are wrong, correct?

That is one way to decide who really wants peace, and who doesn't give a rats behind.

Sorry, back to your argument in a topic that is going on a year old. Does anyone besides the occasional wanderer even come in here? Who are you guys trying to convince? I'm confused!

This was much worse than how the "All Will Fail" thread went.

Gibran

Post Number: 3004
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sean I know this thread and the Israel one seems like a circular battle...many of us have strong feelings and desire to see peace over there...for all it' speople....not that we will have anything to do with it...but some of the peace sites are very informative and gives another voice to the complex dialog...

You should hear the debate over there..it is far more lively and not suppressed....I just hate to see people demonized for a few...so I respond..If they would stop posting such nonsense on this thread or drop it like they did the Israel thread and I would be just as happy as responding to hate...

but I do believe that the voices for peace over there should be heard or at least given their voice over here..there are so many working for the reconciliation of two cousins fighting...

Steelers

Post Number: 4902
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Malaysian Islamist leader wants a return to mutilation
quote:

A leader of Malaysia's Islamist party wants its secular allies to apply strict Sharia law in the country.

The hardline Parti Islam se-Malaysia, which made strong gains in March elections, has enacted laws in five states to punish rapists and adulterers with stoning to death.

Thieves would have hands and arms cut off.

However, the country's federal government has barred the party from enforcing the laws.

PAS and other opposition parties wrested control of five of Malaysia's 13 states in the March election.

Half of Malaysia's 26 million people are ethnic Malays, who are regarded as Muslims.

http://story.irishsun.com/inde x.php/ct/9/cid/2411cd3571b4f08 8/id/371252/cs/1/