Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through July 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 782
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam. a minutemen documentary?? never heard of it. I read the book called something like "get in the van" about black flag, the surfers, big black, minor threat and all thoes other great bands from the 80s. I was lucky enough to see Black Flag at the Greystone. Back when rollins had hair. what a show.

Im goin to look for we jam econo. thanks.

Django

Post Number: 783
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OOH OOH OOH, I just found the minutemen docu. in the free dload section on netflix. Thanks again Pam, cant believe I never heard of it. Gotta go watch. Buh Bye.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5519
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This gem really belongs here, at this particular time of the week:

Margo Guryan - Sunday Morning

Margo Guryan - Sunday Morning

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 716
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margo Guryan's alright, I have some of her stuff. Some of her arrangements are too cooing and soft for my taste, though. A cd of some of her sixties tracks was released 2-4 years ago. I wonder where she's at these days..? I know of a few people have been trying for years to track down fellow 60's British singer Ruth Copeland.

Today it's a million and a half degrees again in Toronto, and 1 of my favourite albums to crank when it's super hot outside is Burning Spear's self titled cd/ lp on Studio 1. Just re-started it, with "Ethiopians Live It Out".
If one enjoys soulful reggae harmonizing, this release is as good as anything from this era by the Wailers or Heptones.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4800
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raul Malo, he was so good last night. Still good today!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4819
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New Al Green on the radio - I think I need to buy this CD. So smooooooooooth.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7059
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4820
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I miss Joe Strummer.

Erikto

Post Number: 721
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do That Stuff", live version by Funkadelic on the P-Funk Earth Tour (took funk to Heaven in '77!)... I'm deejaying a party tonight and not working today (beyond typing a couple of reports to drop off, which finds me here guilty of procrastination), so I'm trying to decide what to take tonight... I've been asked about playing super old hip hop (Sweet T, CC Crew, etc) and I was advised a favourite song with tonight's crowd is Johnny Cash's 'Boy Named Sue'- no problem, I have 2 copies of the lp as well as the San Quentin cd with all those extra tracks.
Tonight's party sort of kicks off the World Bike Messenger Championship. If partying and racing (roughly in that order) is your thing, Toronto's the place to be this weekend. The poster literally says it all, wish I knew where to find it on-line to post here. I've met a few Americans and Europeans in town for the event, people always have a great time.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4835
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm coming to Toronto this next week! Anything up then?

Erikto

Post Number: 723
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dunno for sure yet, besides Al Green Thursday and Dr. John bringing the Wild Magnolias into town for their local debut after some 35 years in the business. The Jazz Festival is on! It might also be Gay Pride next week, that's as party-heavy as the courier race, but it might be the week after. North America's largest continental-African music festival is soon after that. Besides the ticketed jazz shows, everything else I mentioned is free. We killed it last night, the bike courier crowd parties pretty hard, but I dare say I maintained an excellent balance between the club owner who started telling me to shut everything down early (a burning smell from inside the club freaked him out, I don't know what happened, it wasn't ciggies or m-j/ hash burning, that's for sure) and the crowd who kept yelling there were too many of them to just send home. I went later than anyone thought I'd have been able to, well after last call with the party continuing on the street after the place shut.
If you're here this weekend*, email me for directions to one of the last bashes for a local live music institution. The proprietor has held 'open parties' with live music until sunrise or a little later, complete with relaxed vibes. Unfortunately, after 10 years here (and many years before that) the neighbourhood has taken off and her space got bought. A lot of great local musicians cite this as their favourite spot to play, ever. Tomorrow and one more party at the end of June.

* Your post suggests 'this' or 'next' weekend might be your T.O. trip.

-Currently playing Herman Kelly & Life- Dance To The Drummer's Beat offa the lp 'Percussion Explosion'.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2371
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Open Sesame" by Kool & The Gang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TUx3wIWYaN0&feature=related

This is their most underrated songs.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1601
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Checking out The Cure tonight in Charlotte! Gearing up by listening to nothing but The Cure today. :-)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aaliyah - Age Ain't Nothing But A Number. Her demise is heartbreaking.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4862
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in TO on Tuesday, but I'm back. What a great town.

Listening to Billy Bragg - Mr. Love and Justice. Next up, Spoon from the Daytrotter Sessions, Paul Simon's Peace Like A River.

Django

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been DLing Patti Smith. I keep playing and singing GLO... RIA.

How does it go "Jesus died for someones sins,,, but not mine"

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CD titled "Fellow" by the group Happy-Go-Lucky

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4868
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ting Tings.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1891
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now, Radar Love by Golden Earring

Whaler
Username: Whaler

Post Number: 88
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jessica...Allman Brothers Band

Erikto

Post Number: 726
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got a copy of 'Nigeria Rock Special', a pretty heavy collection of bumping and wailing Nigerian tunes, none of which seem to be on any of the many Nigerian compilations in my collection. This one has some pretty intense guitar noodling on some cuts, and not much on the Afrobeat tip; a good exploration that reminds me a little of the Luaka Bop label's World Psychedelic Classics series.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4899
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Trumpet Child by Over The Rhine - a nifty little band from Cincinnati.

Then some Marshall Crenshaw while waiting to see the man himself in Mount Clements this weekend!

Colgatesmile
Username: Colgatesmile

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 CD changer in truck- Jean Luc Ponty Live in Detroit, Prince- Purple Rain, Esthero- Breathe from Another, Sade- Love Deluxe, a gospel Mix CD

Here at my desk -a Pandora mix - Boards of Canada, Lamb, Outcast, Raheem Devaughn, K-Os, Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, Jay Z and Kanye West,Marcus Miller, and The Rippingtons
I always find it interesting to see what pandora does with so many genres in one station, I have found a lot of cool and unusual artists this way

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember Rhythm Corps? A Detroit band from the mid 80's had some minor success, they are playing in Mt. Clemens this weekend with original members.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4215
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nick Drake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_ShXHW_FrlM

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4228
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Rutles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =F86ph2Sd0iI

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 1109
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen Rhythm corps many times but not in a long time.
The Rutles brings back memories I always referred to them as, "da Rutles".

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mates of State, Ratatat, MGMT, Hot Chip

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 6845
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric Burden - Soul of a Man. probably a little PiL second edition for the drive home

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4972
Posted on Saturday, July 05, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Justin Townes Earle, singing my favorite Replacements song, I Can't Hardly Wait.

Later I'll listen to a whole lot of Detroit music. Yay CityFest!