Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through July 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5011
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They used to be a great blues band.

Internet radio on, WFUV from NYC.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2341
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mozart's symphony in G minor, four rolls worth!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =4ArPnwuo1sI

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10196
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, did and done with "Loose". :-)

Yeah but not everyone would have understood The Ig. I could have stated The Iguana as well but only a few would have understood that one as well.

Cheers!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4255
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Just good quality blues jamming.

Isn't that an oxymoron? :-)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5860
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip Hop Is Dead 80s, 90s, West Coast Remixes...

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 394
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stravinskys, firebird suite on vinyl.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, Id like to hook up with your friend.

Django

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, I bought my kid the movie Repo Man for his birthday, we watched it this past week and I cant get the Circle Jerks outta my head now. What a great soundtrack of 80s punk.

"We just get by, however we can. We all gotta duck, when the shit hits the fan"

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oohh! Oldredfordette likes "Kiln House!" A fine, fine selection, indeed!
O'dette? What I asked Goat to do with "Loose?" Howzabout you do the same thing, for me, with "Tell Me All The Things You Do?" I do not have, and never had, a copy of that LP. I listened to my brother's copy.
Some people don't realize how good that band was, before they hit it big.
Maybe the formula for giving birth to a smash hit record is to have problems with your spouse/significant other, get outrageously coked up, drink way too much, and head for the studio.

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, that Black Flag concert @ The Greystone, did The Exploited play that night?

Pam

Post Number: 4258
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old Red, I forgot to mention that Sam is coming to Ann Arbor:

http://theark.org/1754.html

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7572
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Sometimes. I'm a little hit and miss with it. Grateful Dead, Phish, no thanks. Allman Brothers Band, I like. The early Fleetwood Mac stuff is definitely good. I guess as long as it stays bluesy enough, and doesn't get too floaty hippy lala then I like it.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5017
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course it's on a Tuesday! People only come to town when I'm working. Damn it!

I love blues songs, I just hate long drawn out jams. Play a song, then play another song for god's sake. I think it's from growing up in the Motown era. 3 minute songs, 3 minutes of perfect bliss.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7573
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =q4DDkR8RtkY

I like short songs!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5018
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought of you when I was watching Doug Deming and the JewelTones at CityFest, JL. Rockabilly lite, but I'll bet in a club he rocks out a whole lot more.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7574
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda reminds me of these guys I once had the pleasure of gigging with. I think maybe Pam would dig them. Honest D & the Steel Reserve.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7575
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://profile.myspace.com/ind ex.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewpro file&friendid=18255709&MyToken =852612d7-9acb-4ccf-a693-512f8 21653f3

Maybe a link would help.

Pam

Post Number: 4261
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I like short songs

Ha. I remember that one. Television and Neil Young have some longer songs I like, but generally I agree with Jello.

Pam

Post Number: 4262
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Of course it's on a Tuesday! People only come to town when I'm working. Damn it!

Well, if you decide to take off work and go let me know. I'm going.

Pam

Post Number: 4263
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did somebody say rockabilly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =HLbc_aQy_oU

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5019
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramones! 1-2-3-4!

rock rock rockaway beach

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5022
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over the Rhine iTunes play list.

Lovely music while I make a salad for my family party.

Django

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Saturday, July 12, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lnfant. No Exploited that nite. I remember Greg Ginn (Black Flag guitarist)played with a diff band to warm up for BF. I dont remember the first band. I did see the Exploited in Pontiac a few years later though. WOW, That was HUGE. Ive never seen so many mohawks in one place. Biggest pit Id ever seen or been in. I will never forget that nite.

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 729
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peter green-era Fleetwood Mac were amazing. I have a bunch of live recordings from that era (and none from the later years!). He was supposed to play Toronto a few years ago but the whole festival was cancelled.
Funny, I'm listening to the same 'Nigeria Rock Special' c.d. as my last post here, even though I've been away and haven't listened to it all week despite my having taken it with me on my road trip. One cut sounds like what might have happened if Duane Allman hadn't died in a motorcycle crash in 1971, but rather, had relocated to Nigeria. Some cool Santana style licks too, a la 'Samba Pa Ti'.

Have the Sadies fans here seen the video for 'The Break-In' on Youtube? It's a surveillance camera filming some douchebag breaking in to the Sadies van, followed by the Sadies coming out the door with their gear looking around the van. When life gives you lemons, make a video of it...

Pam

Post Number: 4269
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Have the Sadies fans here seen the video for 'The Break-In' on Youtube?

Yeah, I did see that. (Yep Roc newsletter mentioned it.)

Lnfant

Post Number: 37
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm listening to my friend practice piano. It's quite different from hearing a performance.

Lnfant

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I saw | | | | & The Exploited I realized that my music preference was shared with a segment of the population that not only looked rather aggressive but created some belief system out of it (and stopped thinking for themselves). It was surprising how cultic many people approached the punk movement. Is there a category "anti-anti-establishment"?

Erikto
Username: Erikto

Post Number: 731
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For decades now, people have tried and failed to come up with a synopsis of where punks/ HC kids were at mentally and politically. Most self-identified 'anarchists' I've met on the punk scene over the years never seemed to know what they were talking about, vacillating between wanting to 'f#ck sh&t up' or live in squats that were to be run like communes. A lot of guys I knew in punk bands would happily play some vegan or anti-fur benefit or anti-capitalist benefit, then stop the van at McDonald's on the way between gigs. I wonder if people like me who got old(er!) try too hard to find a cohesive meaning to a scene that really defied cohesion? This is hardly unique to punks, I mean ex-hippies regularly add meaning to their movement, culminating in some smug, idiotic notions of having 'stopped the war in Viet Nam'. (Sure- that's why Nixon won two terms, right?)

Hey, Surf/ Rockabilly fans- if you're bored tomorrow Wednesday at 5 pm EST I'll be filling in on the radio which can be heard on-line at www.ciut.fm. Sadies, Shadowy Men mebbe, Huevos Rancheros likely, moving into some ye olde stuffe.

Pam

Post Number: 4275
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Patsy Cline, various.

I love these You Tube vids where someone films a record player playing a scratchy record. Lo-fi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =4u28pQ8Jpk0

Pam

Post Number: 4276
Posted on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of you might like this. Joe Cocker with helpful subtitles and illustrations. I loled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =T4_MsrsKzMM