Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Science Wrong Again « Previous Next »

ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 828
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They Blinded Them...With SCIENCE!!

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 13822
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miscounting gorillas...or even correctly counting gorillas is science? Must be the gym teacher track for a PhD.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3498
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or wildlife biology, ecology, environmental science, biological anthropology...wildlife management...

world wildlife fund:http://www.worldwildlife.org/w ho/board/index.html

Craigd
Username: Craigd

Post Number: 5562
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe because he has only been here since Feb 2007?

Gosh, Pam you're right.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7180
Posted on Thursday, August 07, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so craig sees no contradiction between "god made him do it" and "satan made him do it" (yes, they ARE about the same event)? so according to your logic, satan and god are the same. blind faith. great band, but a religious stance that turns brains to mush

Craigd

Post Number: 5582
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I started hearing voices in my head, I would have it examined. I don't see what pretzel logic you are using to come up with your above statement. I guess you're blinded with science again.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 970
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 6:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god = made Craig do it
Satan = made Craig do it
Therefore
god = Satan

How's that? Looks like pretty simple logic to me.

I loved the post about stoopid sceinse. Only scientists would be looking for gorillas without intending to kill them.

Craigd

Post Number: 5590
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Themax you've got to stop listening to those voices in your head.

Rb336

Post Number: 7188
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretzel logic? how is it pretzel logic? the book says x caused y, then turns around and says z caused y. two statements that are mutually exclusive, so one is a lie. pretty straightforward

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8062
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easy, you're going to give him a Henry Drummond heart attack.

Craigd

Post Number: 5595
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb, you're about as correct about Christianity as you are about global climate change.

Rb336

Post Number: 7197
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, thank you for acknowledging that I am right

Craigd

Post Number: 5599
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're always right, Rb. The difference between you and I is that while I believe in God, you think you are god.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8070
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As opposed to all those times you admitted you were wrong, Craig?

Rb336

Post Number: 7200
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

prove i'm not, craig

Gibran

Post Number: 3546
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually RB is honest and a good person..he doesn't need to say he is something and then does the opposite of what it teaches...His journey takes him in another path...but I can bet if someone needed help he would be there for them...peole like RB, practice Christianity and not even realize it...those who say they do and don't well....that my friends is the rest of the story..

Rb336

Post Number: 7203
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

christianity is a great philosophy destroyed by those who made it a religion

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craigd,

I'll try again...

How does the discovery of a previously-unknown population mean that "science is wrong"? What does it even have to do with science? Do you know what science is? I ask seriously, not with sarcasm.

Craigd

Post Number: 5616
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so. The National Academy of Sciences does a lot of herd population counting here in the United States. I suppose it is an assumption that a branch of science counts herds else where on the planet. Enlighten me, Otter.

Gibran

Post Number: 3563
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

see the above post on science like majors

Otter

Post Number: 267
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you're wrong about what, but don't think so?

"Science" did not discover a previously-unknown gorilal population - science is something like a process and a way of thinking. I don't know what you really meant, since you left it opaque and suggestive. As someone else above pointed out, science is wrong all the time - it is part of the process. Richard Feynman's lecture is a classic and says it far better than I could. Read the whole thing.

http://www.fotuva.org/feynman/ what_is_science.html

Craigd

Post Number: 5635
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

science is wrong all the time - it is part of the process.

DING!

My point exactly. When something is proven wrong as often as science is, why then to certain people live and die by what scientists say?

Otter

Post Number: 268
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Science' is not 'proven wrong' - currently-held theories are sometimes eventually proven wrong, sometimes (often) confirmed and sometimes expanded upon through a continual process of personal verification, experimentation and questioning. Your statement, or suggestion, that the discovery of a previously-unknown gorilla population in an extremely remote area of Congo proves anything, much less that 'science is wrong', suggests that you do not really have much understanding of what science is - only, perhaps, a slight understanding of some of the processes. This is not unusual - in this country, anyway, most people have very little scientific literacy, much less understanding of what science means.

Read Feynman's lecture (then reread it, highlighting crucial ideas and paragraphs and think about those a bit) and you'll understand more why 'certain people live and die by what scientists say.'

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 769
Posted on Friday, August 08, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craigd,

Try jumping off a 33 story building or drinking mercury. Most scientists will conclude that you will die.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 13918
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct otter..the phraseology being used is inaccurate. However, the points being made still have validity.

Craigd

Post Number: 5642
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 7:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Science has been proven wrong all the time. For instance up until recently it has been taught as true that there are 9 planets in our solar system. Now we're told, oops there are 10.

Before Columbus it was commonly believed the world was flat.
It was formerly believed the sun goes around the earth.
It was predicted right after Earth Day in 1970 that the world's oceans would be out fished in ten years.
Carl Sagan's prediction that the 1991 Kuwaiti oil fires would throw up so much soot and pollution they would darken the sun and catastrophically cool the earth.
http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/ L-doomsday.htm

These are just a few examples. There are many, many more.

Iseries840
Username: Iseries840

Post Number: 780
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craigd,

What do you suggest we do?

Gibran

Post Number: 3601
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we call them type one and two errors and that is why we add statistics to increase reliability and validity,,,but opinions and ideas are a starting point..discussion and debate....it's all makes this a vibrant activity...no different than debating anything, including religion

Ccbatson

Post Number: 13926
Posted on Sunday, August 10, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Common ground for a change...opinion is not invalid just because it is not scientific fact.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Before Columbus it was commonly believed the world was flat."

"It was formerly believed the sun goes around the earth."

You have no idea what "science" is, other than some phantom that you perceive as an enemy of your particular sect, apparently.

How do either of those statements have anything to do with the application of the scientific method? Are you aware that the scientific method is what determines if something is "scientific" or not?

Also you've shown your further ignorance in that:
-no significant amount of educated Westerners since ~4th century BC thought the earth was flat.
-Your second statement doesn't reflect well on your apparent sole reliance on Scripture...
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall /mod/1630galileo.html
It was Scripture and Church authorities who were wrong(or misinterpreted, to be gentle) in that case, not science.

Look, I believe in God and everything, but maybe you should consider reading something besides the Bible and taking a few science classes at your local community college. Or go back for your GED at least.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 2785
Posted on Monday, August 11, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CraigD has never even read the Bible. He only reposts misquotes from rightwing blogs.

Craigd

Post Number: 5652
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MORE SPECULATIVE SCIENCE:

Prehistoric giant animals killed by man, not climate: study

quote:

The chance discovery of the remains of a prehistoric giant kangaroo has cast doubts on the long-held view that climate change drove it and other mega-fauna to extinction, a new study reveals.
The research, published this week in the US-based journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, argues that man likely hunted to death the giant kangaroo and other very large animals on the southern island of Tasmania.

The debate centres on the skull of a giant kangaroo found in a cave in the thick rainforest of the rugged northwest of Tasmania in 2000.

Scientists dated the find at 41,000 years old, some 2,000 years after humans first began to live in the area.

"Up until now, people thought that the Tasmanian mega-fauna had actually gone extinct before people arrived on the island," a member of the British and Australian study, Professor Richard Roberts, told AFP Tuesday.

He said that it was likely that hunting killed off Tasmania's mega-fauna -- including the long-muzzled, 120 kilogram (264 pound) giant kangaroo, a rhinoceros-sized wombat and marsupial 'lions' which resembled leopards.

Roberts, from the University of Wollongong south of Sydney, said the idea that climate change could account for the death of the animals was disputed by the fact the area had a very stable climate in the critical time period.

"Things were very climatically stable in that part of Australia and yet the mega-fauna still managed to go extinct," he said. "So it's down to humans of one sort or another."

http://www.breitbart.com/artic le.php?id=080812092319.fl24b7t k&show_article=1

Ccbatson

Post Number: 13978
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean that prehistoric Humvees and SUV's powered by fossilized pre pre historic animals did not spell the end of the Dinosaurs?

Now it is a belated PETA violation? Great, out of the frying pan, and into the fire.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 2817
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What dinosaurs? The article was talking about one type of giant kangaroo on the remote island of Tasmania.

Dinosaurs were reptiles, Bats, and did not live during this time period. You should really read up on your natural history, or are you one of these flat-earther types that doesn't believe in evolution?

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...how tough is it to understand that science is a method. Make initial observations -> hypothesize on what you see -> observe & collect data -> verify or reject hypothesis. It's that simple. There is good science and bad science. Some scientists make conclusions that other scientists disagree with. Science cannot be right or wrong because it is simply a method used to test ideas about phenomena.

Now let me give a religious analogy for what Craigd is doing...

LOOK! RELIGION SUPPORTS GAY RIGHTS! HERE'S PROOF!

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/st ory?section=news/local&id=6289 435

"HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston church took what it calls an "extraordinary" step by ordaining the first openly gay Lutheran pastor in Texas.

Lura Groen says she's thrilled to be pastor of the Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church in southwest Houston. The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America does ordain gay pastors, but only if they agree to remain celibate. Groen, however, has refused, claiming heterosexual colleagues are not held to the same standard. She says church members have been supportive.

"There's a very good fit between the values of this congregation and the values I want to espouse as a preacher -- to be telling God's love to all the world and the way that that calls us to treat everyone fairly," said Pastor Lura Groen.

Two other American Evangelical Lutheran congregations have ordained openly gay pastors without sanctions."

SEE! THAT IS PROOF THAT ALL OF RELIGION SUPPORTS GAYS!

To someone that sees science as a harmless method of understanding, throwing a blanket over all of science sounds just as ridiculous as throwing a blanket over all of religion. Those that doubt science, you do realize that virtually all of modern technology would not exist without science. It's not priests, rabbis, and imams that invented computers, televisions, vehicles, telecommunications, and on & on & on. Don't get me wrong, religious faith is not an inherently bad thing. But to act as if all science is evil is a bit extreme. Just like there is religious debate, there is scientific debate.

Craigd

Post Number: 5659
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zug, there are people that live and die by what scientists say. For instance the science of global warming. It will be proven to be worthless junk.

Zug
Username: Zug

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you should become an opponent of certain scientific theories...and not an opponent of all of science. Because there are scientists that dispute pollution-enduced global warming & see it as a natural increase in temperature.

Also, I personally live & die by what scientists say all the time. Scientists (engineers) are behind car safety. Scientists (medical doctors) give me medical treatment. Scientists (chemists, etc) make sure water going to my home is drinkable. Need I go on?

Craigd

Post Number: 5660
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you've bought into the man-mad global warming scam?

Rb336

Post Number: 7246
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" It will be proven to be worthless junk."

and yet you have had 9 months to post a single actual bit of science that shows the GW crowd wrong, and have failed

Craigd

Post Number: 5670
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny that I know what the fool you are believing in the junk science that you do. In time others will as well.

Rb336

Post Number: 7250
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, calling it "junk science" when YOUR side keeps posting easily and quickly debunked stuff is just funny.

you wouldn't know science if it hit you on the head, and you certainly wouldn't know "junk science." wait, no, change that. you clearly DO know and believe junk science.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2337
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Junk science is a conservative term for science that does not fit an ideology. Sort of how Copernicus' notion of the sun being in the center was "Junk Science" to the church.

He's lucky they didn't burn him.

Craigd

Post Number: 5676
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WWW.JUNKSCIENCE.COM

Rb336

Post Number: 7252
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah, lovely, yet another bit of BS propoganda from a paid advocate for exxonmobil (Stevie Milloy)

Rb336

Post Number: 7253
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, craigers, stop tossing me softballs like that unless you actually enjoy getting your @$$ handed to you

Craigd

Post Number: 5683
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your a socialist, it fits your agenda. No surprise here, hot shot.

Rb336

Post Number: 7255
Posted on Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm not a socialist. i have no agenda except truth. yours seems to be the opposite, considering your deliberately misleading citation to an event that doesn't even happen till next year (or was that pg -- it's getting hard to tell the two of you apart)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.