Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! - Archives » Archive through July 01, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 853
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crepes for dummies

Prepare batter same as pancake batter but thinner
like the consistency of a stew

batter
milk
flour
egg

heat pan until smoking point (non stick)
place a smll dab of butter

pour small amounbt batter into pan and roll around until it covers the entire bottom but remains thin
allow it to cook a minute until firm and then flip
cook for another moment and remove

sp[read fresh chocolate pudding across span of crepe
spoon on low cal strawberry filling and either fold or roll crepe

once on plate give it a shot of fat free whipped topping
sprinke powder sugar and eat without a guilty thought in your mind

the good rev

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4369
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying to eat everything in the freezer so I can restock, I found some chicken thighs and some turkey kielbasa. Put it together:

2 lbs. of boneless chicken thighs, cut small
2 links turkey kielbasa, sliced into rounds
1/2 sweet onion, chopped small
many many cloves of garlic, minced
1 can tomatoes in juice
1/2 tomato left over from weekend
1 small red pepper, chopped fine
1 jar white beans, drained and rinsed
pesto sauce, salt and pepper, italian mixed herbs

Sweat onion in dutch oven or soup pot, when softened, add chicken pieces. Saute till chicken begins giving up liquid, add garlic and peppers. Add beans, tomatoes, 1 big dollop of pesto, about 1 tsp Italian herbs. Add just enough cold water to bring liquids at a level with the food, cover and simmer for about an hour. Check to make sure everything is giving up its broth (you could use chicken broth or a flat beer instead of water, but the chicken pieces should give you all the depth you need). Pour the soup over roughly cut pieces of stale leftover bread (when you buy baguette from Avalon, you don't want to waste a crumb).

Be careful with the salt in this dish, the sausage tends to be very salty. But go nuts with the black pepper.

Revaldullton
Username: Revaldullton

Post Number: 876
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miso soup

table spoon soy bean paste
boiling water
pinch dried seaweed
tofu( optional)

total cals less than 75 for appr 2 cups

God I love the Japanese!

I practically live on the stuff . The protein content is great

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4435
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to cut back on the red meat due to rising cholesterol rate. Ground turkey is just too dry so I'm using buffalo as a substitute.

Gnocchi with meat sauce florentine

1 lb. ground buffalo
1 can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 sweet onion diced fine
4 cloves garlic, diced fine
1 tablespoon pesto sauce
s&p, italian spice blend
baby spinach, rinsed and dried
grated parmesan reggiano.

Sweat onion in glug of olive oil. Add meat, stir till browned. Add garlic, pesto, tomato sauce and tomatoes, simmer. Cook package of gnocchi per directions (I'd love to make my own gnocchi today but it's a work day). Add cooked gnocchi to meat sauce, add fistfulls of spinach and fistfulls of cheese. Cover and let sit while flavors blend together.

If I were to eat this at home, I'd serve it with a lovely Chianti. I'll have to settle for eating at my desk with some nice green tea.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a story this morning about a home in Atlanta with millions of bees in the walls. Bee keepers are trying to clear the bees out of the house. Another house in San Marino, CA with millions of bees in the walls has honey dripping through the living room wall. The family doesn't want to remove the bees yet. This gave me a taste for honey, so here is a good old Indian recipe for poached fruit in honey:

Poached Berries in Honey Syrup

1 qt. berries (strawberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries)
1/2 c. honey
3 tbls. granulated sugar
2/3 c. water

Place honey, sugar and water in small saucepan and boil rapidly for 5 min. Reduce heat. Rinse off berries under tap water. Drop berries in honey mixture and simmer on low heat for 5 min. Turn off heat and let berries cool to room temp. in the syrup. Serve warm or cold, ladling syrup over each portion. This is great over biscuits or frybread.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4248
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK still trying to keep this on alive.

I wanted to tell you my mom gave me a cookbook from 1937. It has all sorts of recipes that you have never heard of before. If there is something that you are looking for - let me know. But the combinations of stuff that they used to make, or preserve, or cook are much much different that today. I will pick something over the weekend and post it. But it is really cool, and the book is intact, it has tabs separating the sections....all sorts of stuff.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4537
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't you love reading old cookbooks? My husband's grandmother gave me all of hers. Some things are horrifying, but there's good commonsense stuff too

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2031
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried this today and it is great! Story first, then the recipe.

There is a plant that is making headlines. Garlic mustard will take over wherever it makes its appearance, crowding out native wild plants. Here's an article from the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ features/home/chi-0504qamay04, 0,2621336.story

This plant was brought here by Europeans, who valued it for its medicinal and food properties. Americans view it as a noxious weed. If it appears in a suburban yard, it calls for massive assault with herbicides. Greenies are forming parties to pull it from wildlands to help native species survive. Bushels and bushels of the plants are wasted.

Well, I pulled up a bushel of the stuff this morning, roots and all. I made garlic mustard pesto. It was delicious on fettucini.

Garlic Mustard Pesto

* 3 cups Garlic Mustard leaves, washed, patted dry, and packed in a measuring cup
* 2 large garlic cloves, peeled & chopped
* 1 cup Walnuts
* 1 cup Olive Oil
* 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
* 1/4 cup grated Romano Cheese (or more Parmesan)
* Salt & Pepper to taste

Combine Garlic Mustard leaves, garlic and walnuts in food processor and chop. Or divide recipe in half and use a blender. With motor running, add olive oil slowly. Shut off motor. Add cheeses, salt & pepper. Process briefly to combine.

Serve warm over pasta or spread on crackers as a appetizer. It also makes a great topping for baked fish.
http://www.monchesfarm.com/PES TO.htm

You can also make Horsey sauce, so 'tis said. I haven't done this yet, still soaking the roots to clean them off. The directions simply say to grind up the roots and mix with a little vinegar, or mayo, or mustard.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump. Awaiting Blksoul_x's water cornbread recipe.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump it again - we're waiting Blksoul_x!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4641
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump - even though I don't have any recipes to share today.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 215
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been making hummus a lot lately, it's so easy and so much cheaper than buying it at the store.

2 cans chick peas, drained and washed well
~half cup olive oil
~half cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
~2 heaping tablespoons chopped garlic (I use jarlic, it's much easier)
~1-2 tbsp tahini (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor, take them for a spin until everything has blended together, and there you go! You can thin out the consistency with more olive oil, and add more lemon juice, garlic, and salt & pepper to suite your taste. I also add a teaspoon of Sambal Oelek ground fresh chili paste for a little heat.

Serve with garlic pita chips for a great snack. Yum

Carolcb

Post Number: 4289
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone want to share their favorite kabob combinations? I am in the mood to make them on the grill this weekend.

Alley

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like chicken (either marinated in Italian dressing or teriyaki marinade) with cherry tomatoes, green pepper, pineapple, red onion and mushrooms

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4694
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make a dry spice rub that is lovely with lamb.

In a dry skillet, toast a fistful of cumin seeds and a fistful of coriander seeds. As soon as they become fragrant and slightly brown, turn them into a dish to cool. It will take a moment, the oils will keep toasting the seeds after they're removed from heat. Don't burn! When cool, grind with a couple pepper corns (which, come to think of it, can be toasted too. The heat index will increase) and some sea salt.

Cube lamb shoulder. Coat your hands with some olive oil and rub the cubes all over. Then coat the cubes with the spice mix, let rest for about 15 minutes.

Thread with onion, red pepper, zucchini and mushrooms (if you like 'em. I don't). Grill till still pink inside. Have some plain yogurt to dip if you like. (if you toast the black pepper you might want it to control the heat).

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4759
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4768
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roasted Vegetable Salad
made for me by friends last week, recreated for you!

1 large beet, roasted
best method: scrub beet clean, keep root ends on, rub with a little olive oil then wrapped in aluminum foil and baked at 450 for an hour, or until fork will pierce easily. Let cool, then peel skin off beet, then chop into small pieces. Be prepared for very red hands. Set aside.

Roast (in 350 oven on a jelly roll pan) 2 large carrot, cut into coins, 1 med sweet potato, 2 white potatoes (both cut into small chunks the same size) 1 red bell pepper, bunch of peeled garlic cloves. Toss with a little olive oil first, sprinkle with Italian herbs. For about an hour (watch the pepper, when it collapses, remove and peel skin). Let veggies cool.

While veggies are cooking, take some pitted olives and let come to room temperature.

Whisk 1 part white wine vinegar with 2 parts olive oil, dollop of yellow mustard and s&p.

Combine veggies, dressing, olives and chunks of feta cheese. I like this at room temperature, no need to refrigerate because you will eat this up.

Alley

Post Number: 276
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ooh that sounds delish!

Carolcb

Post Number: 4319
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks OldRedfordette, I copied it and will buy everything this weekend - I have been in a food funk lately. Having husband home all the time and buying the groceries somehow has changed my pattern! But he is getting really good with the groceries.....I tell him to stay away from the women at the grocery. The curtain-jerkers at the store are beginning to get on his nerves, however, ah or the rug-rats. ( - ;

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you ORF for that recipe = I will make this the next time our oldest son and his family comes for dinner. They love anything with garlic, feta cheese and beets.

Oh gosh, maybe I better make a trial run of it to test it out for myself first :-)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4771
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to put sweet onion in with the roasted veggies. Quarter them but keep the stem end on, dice when cooled.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ORF - I did make the roasted veggies and the dish was incredible. Hubby said it was a keeper recipe! I will certainly make it when the oldest son and his family come over for dinner next time. Thanks for sharing that with us :-)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1307
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who has a perfect Chess Pie recipe? I have one that we love, but since it's so simple I would like to try others.
-------------

Here's how I make Hummus:
Hummus : One can Garbanzos, save half liquid in separate dish.
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup Tahini
one garlic clove
Blend all in food processor, adding reserved garbanzo liquid to desired consistency. I add a bit of salt sometimes. Put in shallow dish, drizzle with olive oil.
* I've never rinsed the garbanzos. roasted red peppers are good in it.

This recipe is 1/2 recipe from The Frugal Gourmet cookbook.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3007
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when's dinner?

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1309
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I so wish all the wonderful cooks here could just *pop* into my kitchen whenever I'm hungry.

We eat so simply at our house. Nothing fancy.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1894
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Low Fat Curried Chicken Thighs with Vegetables

6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 sweet onion - cut in 1/2 and sliced
1 green pepper - sliced in strips
6 very large button mushrooms - sliced thick
1/2 cup water

I put the chicken thighs in a large skillet with the water to poach. Sprinkled curry spice and lemon pepper on one side. Covered the pan while they cooked and I sliced up the veggies. By that time the chicken needed about another 1/2 cup water. I added the onions and let them get softened a bit. Then added the mushrooms and let them cook a bit, then the green pepper. Put the cover on and let it all steam together. When needed added a bit more water. When the green pepper was still a tiny bit firm it was all cooked. Very tasty IMO.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4854
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

May I suggest an addition to your recipe, ED? Take the first water down to 1/4 cup, then add 1 can of low fat cocanut milk to the pan. Cover and heat through, serve on white rice.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 1916
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh! That sounds terrific ORF. I just happen to have a can of coconut milk in the cupboard. Next time I'll do just that!

I'm so tired of the same stuff time and time again. Need these taste buds to wake up here!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adding from the Bill Knapp's Chocolate Cake thread:

http://www.bigoven.com/161270- Bill-Knapp%27s-Chocolate-Cake- recipe.html

Bill Knapp's Chocolate Cake Ingredients
FROSTING CAKE
1 stick Butter 1 ea 18 ounce Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 ea 12 ounce Semisweet Chocolate Chips 1 1/2 cup Water Warm
1 ea 14 ounce Eagle Sweetened Condensed Milk 2 ea Eggs
14 ounce Light Karo Syrup
Instructions for Bill Knapp's Chocolate Cake
To make cake:Preheat oven to 325. Beat all cake ingredients together with a mixer on medium-high until smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 9x12x2 inch baking pan. Bake at 325 for 35 minutes or until tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack. While the cake is in the oven, prepare the frosting.

To make frosting:In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, combine butter, chocolate chips, condensed milk, and karo syrup. Cook over the simmering water, stirring only occasionally, until smooth, about 20 minutes. Remove from hot water and beat with an electic mixer until smooth.

Freezes well.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4924
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The farmer's market in Royal Oak is getting the nicest organic lettuces lately, we're having delicious salads every day, topped with good Canadian hoop farm tomatoes.

Question: why aren't there tons of hoop farms in Michigan like they have in Ontario?