Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Words & Phrases to Eliminate » Archive through September 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 24
Posted on Sunday, September 21, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't farmers GROW beans and corn? They plant, cultivate, and irrigate. That's how they GROW their crops.

If only the government would GROW the economy. Plant the seed, water, fertilize, pull the weeds, tend to it! (So to speak)

Oh, yeah, our government is helping to GROW the Chinese economy.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8729
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

With apologies to the artist in residence on the DY forums who first created and posted this, I had to post this again. (A classic).

HAHA! I had no idea that was still around. Apology accepted.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 2465
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The noun "Product" used to describe insurance policies (note to insurance industry: a word already exists in the language-- "policy") and investments or loans, for which there are also perfectly suitable, descriptive words.
The computer I'm using to post this is a product, the desk I am sitting at is a product,comes from a factory that employs people.
A piece of paper made by people in a cube farm stating what you will pay for if I smash my car is a policy.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7688
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"save up to ___% and MORE!"

"world-class"

stop using "impact" as a verb

god, i have a million of them, but of course, I can't think of them once a thread is started

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 643
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

1. "vet, vetted, vetting": nobody EVER uttered that word until recently; now it is vomitously overused

2. "at the end of the day": I am sick of it...during the day!

quote:

throwing someone under the bus. It's got to stop.

This thread should have been titled:
"After Vetting Common Phrases, These Are Words & Phrases That Need To Be Thrown Under The Bus At The End Of The Day

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 811
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman...On a related note:

Back in the early 1990s, Michigan Department of Social Services was on a "Quality" kick.
Matter of fact, I believe DSS actually bought into the whole JD Power thing.

Anyhoo.......

During that time, DSS employees were actually required to address/refer to their clients as "customers".

Incredible.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8730
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sea-change. Constantly misused by "professional" journalists.

"Last year Hillary opposed this bill, is this evidence of a sea-change in her policies?"

No asshole, the sea does not change things that fast. Go put a rock on the beach, and come tell us when its round. Until then, shut up.

From Shakespeare's "The Tempest":

Full fathom five thy father lies:
Of his bones are coral made:
Those are pearls that were his eyes:
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 812
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon my consecutive posts:

Wally....The entire panel of Judges award: 10

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8731
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also Carrot-and-Stick. Apparently pundits today think this means you encourage a country to do something by offering a reward (carrot), while also implying some threat if they don't (stick). But the whole idea of dangling a carrot is about unrealized promise. The donkey never gets the carrot, it just walks towards it while pulling the cart. And the stick is for holding the carrot, not for beating the donkey. Probably confused with "Big Stick" diplomacy. But sorry guys, different stick.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carbon Footprint

Cracks in the glass ceiling

PUMA

Low hanging fruit

Cherry pick

Disenfranchise

Touch base

Drill Here, Drill Now

Face time

Homeland

Stagflation

Ask your Doctor

Bullshit Generator

I am Flanders_field, and I approve this message.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on September 23, 2008)

Rb336

Post Number: 7690
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"PUMA"

but then i'll be barefoot

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 582
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does everything out of the ordinary have to be "Sick"?

It makes me sick to hear that word rabbled over and over.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2821
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's so retarded.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or in the act of astonishment: "Shut Up!"

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 963
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"ACTUALLY"

So overused and it really means nothing. It can be eliminated from most sentences without altering the meaning. Makes my skin crawl when I hear it so much. I recently heard a host on HGTV say: "We are actually going to take out this old tile and we are actually going to install new tile." WTF? See my point? "I was driving down the road when I actually saw the car roll over."

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4688
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perfect storm

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2522
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Shits and giggles"

Undeniably the most annoying phrase ever uttered.

Some more that need last rites:

"At the end of the day"
"Hook-up" "Hook me up" "Hook them up" "Hook it up" etc.
"We can do this for $XXX"
"Throw some cash at that"
"Put a number on it"

Chuckjav

Post Number: 827
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"six of one, half a dozen of the other"
"righteous indignation"
"material witness"
"bi-polar"
"lucid episodes"

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6465
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2769
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"De-construct." (Oh, shut up.)

"Disingenuous." (A fine word, but I'm convinced that 95% of the folks who are, currently, over-using it have no idea what it means.)

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Misuse of literally "It was literally a bloodbath out there." "It was literally raining cats and dogs."

Misuse and overuse of devastated has cheapened and weakened the word.

Misuse of enormity.

My current pet peeve is subject-verb agreement. Don't they teach grammar any more? Don't they diagram sentences?

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2854
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they is loosers.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mixed metaphors might be included in this list, but I for one hope they will continue unchecked. I look forward to every priceless pearl, and appreciate what seems to be an unending source of humor! I offer a modest, recent sampling:

Our high school basketball coach writes on his web page that his motto is: Keep the big picture burning brightly!

This week my Mom declared that one of the candidates for President was not the brightest shrub in the forest.

Sports mixed metaphors are my favorites.

A trustee of our homeowners' association e-mailed a request that someone step up to the plate and get behind the eight ball on an important issue.

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2858
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you talk the talk, they say you should walk the walk, yet they also say money talks and bulls**t walks.

So which is it?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3271
Posted on Thursday, September 25, 2008 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

babybump +1

Larry, you mean " maybe they is morans ".

okay heres my new one (although babybump is supremely grotesque) :

MAINSTREET / WALLSTREET in any combined metaphor !

And all the old favorites:

"terror"
"terrorists"
"those who would seek to do us harm"
"war on ____ "
"conspiracy theory"
"debunked"

oh, and also:
"babydaddy"

Rb336

Post Number: 7719
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If you talk the talk, they say you should walk the walk, yet they also say money talks and bulls**t walks.

So which is it?"

money feeds us a line of bullshit, the bullshit takes OUR money and off they go like the dish and the spoon

Rb336

Post Number: 7720
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam -- "perfect storm!" that is the one I couldn't think of

can we also eliminate the use of car horns as door bells? are we so fat and lazy we can't get out of the car? if so, use your damn cell instead of annoying all the neighbors

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5598
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tapas

"ooooh, hey everyone, there is this hip new fusion bistro off of Woodward with an excellent tapas selection. Guess it is more of a trendy/fake hipster thing anyways.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 1023
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rb, great last point about the car horns, nothing frosts me more than having some jackass blowing his horn at 8am on a Saturday AM.

Phrases I'd like to see eliminated:

"....Long Story Short...."

and

"....Phone Tag...."

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 2878
Posted on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm ______, and I approve this Message", followed by a litany of mis-statements that would get their nose bloodied if they said them to that individual in person, lol.