Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Music - What are you listening to? » Archive through October 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5608
Posted on Sunday, September 28, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my iTunes:

-Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty
-Right Here Right Now by Jesus Jones
-What's on Your Mind by Information Society

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4701
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam Phillips- A Boot and a Shoe

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today, Sufjan Stevens - 'Illinoise'. He's a Michigander, I've heard. From the TC area. Great pop music. He's recording a suite of music with Great Lakes State's titles. Did anyone here catch the bands 'Lightning Love' and 'Bricktown Station' at the Dalley? Both excellent. I'm acquiring music of each.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6506
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aquarius

Aquarius

Jimaz

Post Number: 6507
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baker Street by Gerry Rafferty
There are many memories wrapped around that one. Nice.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2064
Posted on Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant stop slipping dollars into the jukebox at the Miami so I can hear the Clash do Atom Tan, Ghetto Defendant, Police and Thieves, Lost in the Supermarket, and a few others. I love the new online jukeboxes but damn their expensive. They also didnt have one Beatles album from the original lineup, only "Beatles, in the beginning" or something like that, nothing I recognized.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1156
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radiohead, AWB, and Ryan Leslie.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2198
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, I LOVE Baker Street! I wish I could find it as a ringtone for my cell. This was one of the tunes that got me through graduate school!

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2417
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know a lot of youngsters are listening to "classic rock" genre, late sixties, early seventies

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2788
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Radiohead, huh, Vetalalumni?
That's a group for whom I hear such reverence, but whose work I have never heard.
On YOUR implied recommendation, I think I will make it a point to investigate, and not through a Youtube clip, either; if I'm hearing something for the first time, I want it to be coming through better speakers than the ones which are hooked up to our computer.
Care to recommend a specific CD?
As for me, I'm still soaking up that "Ojos Negros" CD about which I raved, earlier, but today in the car was Wayne Shorter's "Speak No Evil," and athomeafterwork was solo piano by Roland Hanna from a Montreux Detroit festival of some years back.
By the way, that Stanley Clarke CD which, apparently, both of us own? It didn't age very well, for me. It's like Clarke has not grown at all. He's always been a terrific bass player, but it just seems to me as though he is writing, and playing, the same old shit. ("Jerusalem" is really nice, however.)

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, Radiohead is popular here in San Diego and recently played live, so there is a buzz right now. Playing "OK Computer", "Hail to the Thief", and "In Rainbows" CDs on recommendation from a friend who lent me the CDs. Probably would not purchase though. Wayne Shorter is on my whats next list, along with the alluring Keri Lynn Hilson. Stanley Clarke indeed has not excited most fans recently. "Bout the Bass" off the "1, 2, to the Bass" CD always funks me up though. On a related bass note, the "Palmystry" CD from Victor Wooten has been on my playlist recently.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2793
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sacajawea," the first cut on Shorter's "Alegria" CD, is a real winner, to my ears.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6553
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen, the credit goes to Patrick then for mentioning Baker Street first.

It was overplayed in the 1970s and criticized for being only "pop" music but I could never get enough of it. The CD is now stuck in my car's CD player. I wore it out.

The line about "this city's got so many people but it's got no soul" had a special meaning for me while driving the sterile streets of Phoenix, homesick for Detroit.

I played that CD all the way back to Detroit, paying special attention to the line "You're going, you're going home."

Gerry Rafferty Baker Street

Gerry Rafferty Baker Street

Pam

Post Number: 4721
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Radiohead, huh, Vetalalumni?
That's a group for whom I hear such reverence, but whose work I have never heard.

Don't bother. I never understood the hype on this group. Overrated.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1019
Posted on Saturday, October 04, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been turning on to Jazz. Art Blakey on vynil. Nina Simone. Check out a live performance rec orded in Harlem in 1968. Best live performance ever! Raw and powerful. Aint got no....I got life is the name of the song. Also Roy Ayers Ubiquity; Cannon Ball Adderly Soul Zodiac and The Awakenings.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5491
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never really like Radiohead, but In Rainbows was a much better work than the other ones, (or so I thought). Anyone who wants my copies of OK Computer and KidA can have them.

Listening to an iTunes Genius playlist, based on "Arms Aloft" by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros. I'm fascinated by the choices it makes.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 655
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been listening to this CD, "Legends of the Accordion". Some amazing stuff, that.

Pam

Post Number: 4723
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Listening to an iTunes Genius playlist, based on "Arms Aloft" by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros. I'm fascinated by the choices it makes.

I googled this, since I don't know what it is and found this:

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/09 /my-itunes-genius-is-a-moron/

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5492
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's working really well for us.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6559
Posted on Sunday, October 05, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not for sensitive eyes.

Toto - Take My Hand

Toto - Take My Hand

Pam

Post Number: 4728
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neko Case- unreleased songs:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v= 1KRLJEnJkts

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v= W8dDB8x_LBs

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8794
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I googled this, since I don't know what it is and found this:

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/09 /my-itunes-genius-is-a-moron/

The girl who wrote that has some good taste in music. :-)

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone here besides me wondering who does the remake of Bowie's Space Oddity in that Lincoln Mercury TV spot? I looked it up, group is Cat Power, entire song not yet released.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/ article/download/145136-video- cat-power-space-oddity-david-b owie-cover-lincoln-ad

Pam

Post Number: 4729
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bruce was in Ypsi. Did you go Old Red?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20081006/E NT05/810060432/1409/METRO

quote:

group is Cat Power

Cat Power is a person, not a group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C at_Power

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam I saw Cat power at the majestic theater I like a lot of her music but was underwhelmed with her live performance every song was the same slow tempo they all sounded the same by the end of the show.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 574
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right now I am kicking it to the first Aerosmith album
01 Make it
02 Somebody
03 Dream on
04 One way street
05 Mama kin
06 Write me
07 Moving out
08 Walking the dog

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 5658
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have Baker Street on now. The thing is that I think the song would be just as good without any vocals. The instrumentation is excellent.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 273
Posted on Monday, October 06, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Allan Jackson, 'Drive'.

Applesauce
Username: Applesauce

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My current pod list: The Bravery
Bruce
Ryan Adams
Fall Out Boy
The Orbitsuns
The Replacements
Breakfast Club sndtrk

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, October 07, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Curtis Mayfield