Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! - Archives » Archive through September 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4434
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldred, what is a hoop farm?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4925
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greenhouses. You see miles of them on farmland in parts of OT.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7392
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with Red Peppers? They are like 5 dollars each now. I can't make my sausage penne properly anymore.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4927
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gas prices. Look where the peppers are coming from.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7393
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the green peppers haven't gone up like that. Aren't green peppers just less ripened bell peppers?

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 2140
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh NO! Red peppers are my very fav! Have not been to the store lately. I eat red peppers like they're candy when I have them. Hopefully, my daughter-in-law planted plenty of them!

ORF - I've never heard that term here. I'll have to inquire next time we're in Leamington - capitol city of greenhouses in Essex county! :-)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4929
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the red peppers are from Holland, and they're a thick skinned version of the red. Every once in a while you can catch a crop of thinner skinned reds at Westborn or Western Market and they'll be $1.99 a pound, otherwise you're getting the pricey ones.

That's all right, wait till we see this winter's bread prices. They'll make peppers look cheap.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4930
Posted on Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean of the green.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4455
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, let me say these are fantastic. I have made them three times since I saw the recipe, and the batter feels like a little bird in your hand when you drop it in the flour. Note that you need self-rising and "regular" flour. This was in the NYTimes about a week ago....so call my Lipitor dealer!

Recipe: Touch of Grace Biscuits Adapted from ''CookWise'' by Shirley O. Corriher (Morrow) Time: 40 minutes

Adapted from ''CookWise'' by Shirley O. Corriher (Morrow)
Time: 40 minutes

Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups self-rising flour, preferably a low-protein Southern flour like White Lily
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons vegetable shortening
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 cup buttermilk, or as needed
1 cup bleached all-purpose flour, preferably low-protein flour like White Lily, or as needed
2 tablespoons butter, melted.

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees, and arrange a shelf slightly below center of oven. Spray a 9-inch cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the self-rising flour, sugar and salt. Work shortening in with your fingers until there are no large lumps. Gently stir in the cream, then enough buttermilk so that dough resembles wet cottage cheese. (If you are not using low-protein Southern flour, this may take considerably more than 1 cup buttermilk.)
2. Spread one cup all-purpose flour (not self-rising) across a plate or pie pan. Using a medium (about 2 inches, No. 30) ice cream scoop or spoon, place three scoops of dough well apart in flour. Sprinkle flour over each. Flour your hands. Turn the dough in flour to coat, shaping a ball and shaking off excess flour as you work. Place each ball in prepared pan; biscuits should be touching one another. Continue shaping until all dough is used.

3. Bake until lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Brushed with melted butter. Invert onto a plate, then back onto another. With a knife or spatula, cut quickly between biscuits to make them easy to remove. Serve immediately.

Yield: 12 to 14 biscuits.

Believe me, you won't care there is Crisco and buttermilk and heavy cream in the recipe. ( - :

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 28
Posted on Tuesday, July 08, 2008 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a plug for Cook's Illustrated Magazine
Every recipe I've tried from it has been successful. I now trust that magazine enough to not bother with a test run before making for an important event. My only criticism is that there is not enough raw food or vegetarian recipes.

mmmm, so creamy hummus:
I've made it a lot and it always has had a graininess to it not matter what device I had used (food processor, blender, vita-mix). Cook's Illustrated Magazine has a recipe for hummus that makes a creamy texture. The "trick" is in the ordering of the lemon juice/water with the olive oil/tahini.

Here is the trick in a nutshell:
In a Food Processor:
-process until combined: 14oz chick peas, 1 garlic clove, minced (I prefer 2-3 cloves), 1/4 t. cumin, pinch cayenne

-on the side, mix the juice of 2-3 lemons with 1/4 c. water together, stream into the food process mixture while its running and process another minute or more

-on the side, mix 6T tahini and 2T olive oil, steadily stream and process another 15 sec or until combined

result: very creamy hummus
alternative: instead of cooked chick peas, try sprouted ones!

(Message edited by Lnfant on July 08, 2008)

(Message edited by Lnfant on July 08, 2008)

Lnfant

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, July 10, 2008 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

green smoothies

"In search of the perfect human diet, Victoria Boutenko compares the standard American diet with the diet of wild chimpanzees. Chimpanzees share an estimated 99.4% of genes with humans, but their diet is dramatically different from ours. The most glaring difference is that chimpanzees consume significantly more green leaves than humans. Based on these observations, Victoria has developed a series of green smoothie recipes that enable anyone to consume the necessary amount of greens in a palatable way."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUlJZD -RzEM&feature=related

Lnfant

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

about dandelions + dandelion pesto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UebH2Pb-18s

Lnfant

Post Number: 36
Posted on Friday, July 11, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dandelions sold in the market tend to have a more mellow taste than wild dandelions.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5094
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick larder dinner:

1 can tuna in veg. oil (I bought the wrong stuff Monday )
1 half ripe tomato
half sweet onion, diced
half carrot, shredded
3 big cloves of garlic, diced
shakes of soy
1 big tb. chili garlic sauce from China grocery on John R.. More if you like, but no less.
Cooked rice
sliced lime

Simmer everything but the rice and lime, till hot and flavors are mingling. Serve over the rice, squeeze lime.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5249
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been eating fresh Michigan tomatoes until I am nearly a Michigan tomato myself. Slice them thin, sprinkle a little sea salt, a splash of red wine vinegar and a couple grinds of pepper. Done. Scatter fresh basil? Okay! Chunks of mozzarella? Yes Yes Yes!

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1419
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, oldred - while you were gone I tried to find this thread and went to the 'search' part. didn't work. How do find threads that have sunk?

For us in the Ozarks the tomato crop this year has been poor. Too much rain. So very sad. The couple that we have received from friends have found their way into incredible BLTs.

Drippy and sweet, succulent and better than anything! Tomato drips on plate? Sit the toasted bread in it and, omg, I'm in heaven.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 8344
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a whole bunch of Cayenne, Jalepeno, and some other yellow extremely hot pepper from my mom's garden.

The first batch of Cayennes I got, I tried my hand at making a cayenne pepper sauce. Roasted the peppers first, blended it up with garlic and onions. It came out alright, but I should have stuck to regular white vinegar instead of using seasoned rice vinegar. So we'll call that one a flop.

What else can I do with these peppers? My mom dries them out and makes crushed red pepper with them, but I don't usually take crushed red pepper with my pasta.

Lnfant

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from foodnetwork.com:
Cayenne Fried Chicken,
Vegetables could be substituted for the chicken

2008, Robert Irvine, All rights reserved.
Show: Dinner: Impossible, Episode: Disney Dinner Dash

3 to 4 liters canola oil, or as needed to deep fry
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
24 bone-in chicken wings and/or thighs, rinsed and patted dry with paper towels
1 to 2 cups buttermilk as need to moisten chicken

Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F or as instructed in the manufacturer's instructions for similar foods. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine cornmeal, flour, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper, and mix well to make chicken coating. Add coating to a plastic food storage bag in batches. Moisten chicken with buttermilk, shake in bag of coating, and allow excess to fall away.

Deep-fry chicken until crispy and transfer to a baking pan. Bake in 350 degree F oven until cooked through.

Lnfant

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oven Fries (with Salt, Cayenne, Vinegar)
(1 lb potatoes recipe)

heat oven 400°F
parboil potatoes in boiling water, then
place potatoes on baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil,
bake till their have brown edges, remove from oven

immediately mix and sprinkle:
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
vinegar, white, malt or cider

(Message edited by Lnfant on August 22, 2008)

Lnfant

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your fresh cayenne should be ground down to powder form. (Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.)

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, August 22, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freezing fresh peppers; This works on both hot and sweet, green, red, or yellow.

1. wash and dry peppers.
2. trim off end, seed and cut in half lengthwise.
3. cut in narrow strips widthwise.
4. Place on a cookie sheet with waxed paper and put uncovered in freezer.
5. When frozen put in freezer containers and use for a little or a lot. Great in chili, salsa etc.

Note; No need to blanch the peppers. When handling hot peppers wear rubber gloves if your skin is sensitive and glasses for your eyes.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shoot the deer, clean it, cut the proper pieces and wrap it and freeze it unless you will use it right away.

If so, get onions, carrots, potatoes, then combine them with the Venison into a large pot. Add Thyme Marjoram, maybe some olive oil and real butter, salt pepper, and any spice you like.

But before you cook it, Brown the Venison on a grill so it gets blackened on the outside. This is so all the fine juices stay inside.

Put it in a dutch type oven and let it stew for about three hours.

Then enjoy natures finest.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5251
Posted on Saturday, August 23, 2008 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why don't you just sear it in the large pot? Seems like a lot of wasted effort.

What cut? Saddle? Do you grind it?

Not enough information. I get my game recipes from my master hunting brother in law.

Add a bottle of wine, btw. Good drinking red. Helps break down the fibers.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5370
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, to keep from losing it in the convention frenzy.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need a couple of quick/easy/make-ahead recipes.

I have volunteered to make before early Sunday service(8:45am) breakfast food for my church for the month. I need to make enough food for about 40 people.

We have a commercial grade kitchen with big honkin' stove-top, two ovens, four hot/cold buffet bins, etc.

This week I am making sausage gravy and biscuits, oatmeal bars and cutting up fresh fruit. Nothing fancy, just a couple of things to put some food in our stomachs.

Do any of you have no-fail ideas? Recipes that can be made the night before and heated up in the morning? Any and all ideas would be waaayyy appreciated. Thanks! K

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2951
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Potato, sausage, egg and cheese casserole

1 lb. pork sausage - I use Bob Evans Original
3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups (12 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
12 large eggs, beaten
2 cups milk

Cook sausage in a skillet until browned, stirring to a crumble; drain. Place potatoes in a lightly greased 13 X 9 X 2 inch baking dish, sprinkle with salt. Layer sausage, cheese and green pepper. Combine eggs and milk, stirring well, and pour over the green peppers.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes*.

Serves 8 to 10

When I have a house full stay over night, I prepare this the night before, cover and refrigerate. Pop it in the oven in the morning and I'll serve it with tomato salsa and toast or biscuits.

*bake a little longer due to the chilled ingredients.

Anyone who has eaten this casserole has really liked it.

Gosh, wish I could be there for your sausage gravy and biscuit breakfast! :-)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5381
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can make French toast in the same vein. Line baking dishes with sliced bread, cover with beaten egg, milk, brown sugar and cinnamon, refrigerate overnight, bake till puffy and golden. I'll look for the exact recipe, I think it's called Santa Fe Baked Toast, after the dining car on the railroads.

edited to add use good vanilla too. I'll bet peaches or sliced pears would be good too. I'll get on that recipe search.

(Message edited by oldredfordette on September 03, 2008)

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5382
Posted on Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I mixed it up with another recipe. Here you go, but I'd forgo the corn syrup and replace it with brown sugar.

INGREDIENTS:
1 (1 pound) loaf French bread,
cut diagonally in 1 inch slices
8 eggs
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
DIRECTIONS:
1. Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange the slices of bread in the bottom. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour over bread slices, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
2. The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; heat until bubbling. Pour over bread and egg mixture.
3. Bake in preheated oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Erie and Oldred, I'm going to make both of them. You two are so helpful!

Eriedearie

Post Number: 2969
Posted on Thursday, September 04, 2008 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're welcome Kathinozarks. I think everyone will enjoy it.

Oldred - I'm gonna make your recipe next time I have over nighters - or maybe I'll make a half recipe for me and the mister just to give it a trial run first - sounds very tasty. :-)