Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Words & Phrases to Eliminate » Archive through October 31, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2809
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Cheddar_bob, you're my dawg, and all, but I disagree. I tend to dislike using exclamation points, but they're not the written equivalent of yelling. Sometimes, degrees of emphasis are worthwhile.
Speaking of which, and regarding Crystal's point, I prefer to avoid using caps in non-cap situations, but when italics are unavailable, caps are Plan B for expressing a certain change in intonation.
But then, I sweat this stuff MUCH more than necessary.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like why are people using the word like like so much?

Duh

Heads up

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 746
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new one, "Clawback".

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 747
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mainstreet

Misuse of the word, verbiage--a profusion of words usually of little or obscure content.

Nouns used as verbs--email. "I'll email this to you."

Only noun that qualifies as a verb? Ralph... My apologies to all the Ralphs out there.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6637
Posted on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This page has been intentionally left blank."

It's a self-confessed lie. :-)

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 303
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"give it up for..." I think this is a request for applause. Every time I hear it, there follows applause.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 7871
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"my fellow prisoners"

and YES jimaz. that always cracks me up

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10442
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The word "thunk". How about a big fuck yoiu to those who use that stupid word.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10443
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two more than irritate me.

"..and what?" As in someone talking about a specific subject and the other responds. "And what?" It drives me bat-shit.

The other one is "Greatness". As in someone states there is a party on Saturday and the idiot replies "Greatness".
What the fuck is that all about?

(Message edited by GOAT on October 16, 2008)

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad

Crystal

Post Number: 305
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat's post has reminded me about "sunk" and "sank".

I was at at golf outing at which the other three in my foursome kept referring to how good the putt was that they just sunk. Here I was trying to concentrate on my golf swing, and I was preoccupied with sink, sank, sunk...

Afterwards at the picnic and consumption of beer, there was more talk of the sunk putts. Not usually a beer drinker, I made an exception that afternoon.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 973
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry in-advance, if these are repeats:

"Fixed-Income"...WTF?
I work for a living - work hard too; my income is firmly fixed...wait, check that - thanks to inflation, it is going down.

"Drive-By Media" - what precisely does that mean?

Ravine

Post Number: 2819
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooh!... I got, that is I have, another one...

Over-use of the word "amazing," as in the phrase, "you look amazing!"

What, are tendrils of gold growing out of her scalp? Are the irises in his eyes bright orange?

I think it is turning into a replacement-part used by folks who, at last, have become too embarrassed to continue using "awesome" 50-60 times per day.

Different word; same stupid.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ABSOLUTELY!

Crystal

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dang, every time I think I'm done, another one pops into my small brain.

Misuse of "enormity". It is not a synonym for large. It means both large and bad at the same time.

Appropriate uses would include describing the sinking of the Titanic, 9/11 destruction, or Hurricane Katrina damage.

An inappropriate use would be reporting on the big come-from-behind win that sends the high school football team to the playoffs for the first time in twenty years. "This team is just now coming to grips with the enormity of their feat."

Ravine

Post Number: 2822
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cripes. A reporter on News4 just pronounced "sparingly" (as in, "use...sparingly") like it has two "r"s.
A bit of a thread-jack, but I had to whine somewhere.

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 788
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Net-Net

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3429
Posted on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Internets

That was cute for a New York heartbeat, but give it up. Twee joking about "the Internets" has become the new lampshade-as-a-hat joke for those who think they're funny. You suck!

Ravine

Post Number: 2867
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starting a statement with "Worst-case scenario, ..."
"Surreal." Terribly over-used, and frequently inappropriate. Guilty parties usually under 30.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The time window for using "the" in front of a common internet term to imply an un-hip GOP politician, while still open, is weeks from losing efficacy. Just a heads up.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2795
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"End of the day" I know it's been mentioned already, but I've heard it several times in the last few weeks on the news as they are interviewing different people. Man, give it up. It's reaching critical mass, and achieving the same level of annoyance as "shits and giggles".

Lodgedodger

Post Number: 864
Posted on Thursday, October 30, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Main Street

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3283
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to word-search 3 pages before I posted.

"Bring to the Table"!
argh!

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

new thread should be titled "words/phrases I like" it would be much shorter.

i hate when people use that phrase to describe the tedious nature of a list.

other than that and others mentioned, I am very tired of "blog"

it really sounds like an STD

Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3284
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to make a sound similar to "blog" from Mohawk Blackberry Brandy.
You may have, also.
Quite common.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The fact of the matter is......"

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8011
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EVERY combo word - ginomous, absotively, etc

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2133
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Broad daylight"

Is there any other kind?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8993
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

used to make a sound similar to "blog" from Mohawk Blackberry Brandy.
You may have, also.
Quite common.

Was Mohawk blackberry brandy produced at the Mohawk Plant off I-96 in Novi, which became the Novi Expo Center?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2800
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The fact of the matter is......"

Contrary to the normal bullshit...