Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! - Archives » Archive through November 14, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2808
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Kroger's have a pretty good international section. They do sell the traditional English Heinz beans there, for your beans an' toast.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1634
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking Almond Chicken like they had at the Golden Buddha on the East Side. This sounds good, what do you think? I haven't had it since I was about 19 years old (10 years ago, ha ha). Do you have an Chinese almond chicken recipe to share? Easy prep is always a bonus for me.

http://chinesefood.about.com/o d/poultryrecad/r/almondchicken .htm

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 3904
Posted on Friday, November 07, 2008 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pkbroch - We were just out in Leamington at the Heinz Plant on Tuesday - I don't remember seeing that kind of sauce there. But next time I go to a grocery store here I'll look for it. I've never heard of it before.

Secondndfloorwalkup
Username: Secondndfloorwalkup

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking Almond Chicken like they had at the Golden Buddha on the East Side. This sounds good, what do you think? I haven't had it since I was about 19 years old (10 years ago, ha ha). Do you have an Chinese almond chicken recipe to share? Easy prep is always a bonus for me.

http://chinesefood.about.com/o d/poultryrecad/r/almondchicken .htm

------------------------------ -------

I tried this exact recipe last weekend. While not quite the right taste, it was good and I would make it again. But the sauce needs some kind of tweeking to get the flavor I have in my memorey

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey 2ndflrwlkup, what are the odds of me posting and you actually MAKING this one recipe in a web full of millions? Too cool!

Did it make a mess with the frying part? I hate cleaning my stove top.

So, you don't know what is needed to improve the sauce?

I'm still kind of shocked that you made this exact recipe last weekend. What made you look it up?

Secondndfloorwalkup

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cause after moving from the area, I am in West Branch now, I couldnt find any decent Almond Chicken...the stuff up here is crap. Doing a search, I stumbled across this recipe from the Detroit area and knew I was on to something.

I really dont know what the sauce needs....it comes across as too *chickeny* to me, lacking that certain something I remember. If you figure it out please do tell :-)

It didnt make too much of a mess...the coating was nice and crispy and had a good crunch. I also followed the note at the bottom suggesting, celery and mushrooms was it? Cant remember....it was close to what I crave, but not quite there.

I was floored when you posted this....what are the odds?

Secondndfloorwalkup

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, all the egg rolls up here are filled with cabbage.....the ones I got in the Metro area are filled with bean sprouts and sooo much better Anyone have a recipe to make egg rolls with bean sprouts instead of cabbage?

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks/Secondfloorwalkup I loved Golden Buddha too. We would always order Almond Chicken, and I've never had it prepared the same way anywhere else. GB had a brown gravy(if memory is correct) that made it unique from all other Almond Chicken recipes. Happy to know, I'm not alone in the search for this recipe. Kath, I'm 29 too what a coincidence.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Saturday, November 08, 2008 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2ndfloor, When I make it I will let you know. I probably won't make it for a week or so. Much to do during the day, so no time to concentrate on it. I'll need an entire afternoon to wrap my head around it. I only cook new things when I can totally concentrate on it. And wow! The whole cabbage/bean sprouts thing is what I've been noticing for 20-errr, I mean, 10 years since leaving the Detroit area. I didn't even realize until you typed the words that that is what I've been missing in egg rolls since. THAT'S IT! Man, I didn't realize it, but everytime I eat an eggroll I wonder what it is that made them so much better back in 'the day'. Is it regional or the cost of cabbage is less than bean sprouts for the restaurant? Mmmmmmmmm, egg roll soup almond chicken......happy.

Terridarlin, wasn't it a light brown color? Sure, soy sauce, cornstarch, whatever else? So yeah, it was brown-ish :-). Golden Buddha isn't there anymore, is it? Would pat the Buddha by the door every time.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1653
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Oldred, are you there? WEll, this afternoon I'm making fried chicken that has been marinating since yesterday in buttermilk with Texas Pete's.

Now, I'm thinking I'll just dredge it in flour and brown it on stovetop (yeah, making a mess SUCKS!) and then transfer it to oven to cook through.

What do you think? Bread crumbs also? Keep in mind I only have the round tube of Progresso bread crumbs and I don't want to make my own (cause I know you would want me to, ha ha!) Trying to make it easy as possible and want to not do the flour, eggwash, breadcrumb routine. But, if you think I should then I will consider it.

Oh, and I might fry/brown it three pieces at a time in a deep pot to keep it from splattering so much. Good idea? I'm thinking so.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5623
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will turn out better if you don't crowd the pot. I always thought that was bullshit (oh my tourette's again!) till I tried it, it works.

Just season the HELL out of the flour and it should be great. Lots of black pepper and red pepper.

I'm going to get some fish to grill. I bought some fresh lettuce and some brussell sprouts from the RO Farmers Market yesterday and I'm serving that, maybe some rice. Not sure till I get to the store.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5625
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A great article about food and politics.

http://www.gourmet.com/foodpol itics/2008/11/george-mcgovern- qa

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2685
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had the most marvelous lentil and broccoli porridge with a crusty Italian bread for dinner, and if we ever feel like we have enough room, strawberry, raspberry, blackberry and blueberry shortcake is ready for dessert. Here is the recipe. It says soup, but it's really a thick porridge.

BROCCOLI AND LENTIL SOUP
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
Source: The Best Diabetes Cookbook
INGREDIENTS
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock (Using low-sodium chicken stock will lower the sodium per serving)
- 2-1/2 cups chopped broccoli
- 3/4 cup dried green lentils
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
DIRECTIONS
In a large nonstick saucepan, heat oil; saute garlic, onion, celery, and carrot until softened, approximately 5 minutes.
Add stock, broccoli and lentils; cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lentils are tender.
Puree in food processor until creamy and smooth.
Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.

Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories: 139, Carbohydrate: 20 g, Fiber: 4 g, Protein: 10 g,
Fat: 3 g, Sodium: 999 mg, Cholesterol: 2 mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1 Lean Meat

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1654
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz, that sounds delicious. I wouldn't want to puree it, though. Is it good without pureeing it?

My chicken turned out perfect. Wiped off the buttermilk before frying/browning it three pieces at a time in a deep stock pot with about 1/2 inch oil kept the stove top clean. Transferred to pre-heated cast iron skillets in the oven and finished cooking it at 375 degrees.

Just used the seasoned flour (in a brown paper bag, no clean-up). I'm guessing that marinating it overnight in the buttermilk/Texas Pete's hot sauce was a good thing. Roasted seasoned potato wedges and roasted asparagus. Apple crostada w/ice cream for dessert. I am full and happy.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2687
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I imagine it will be good if you don't puree it, but it looks better if you do. Mind you, I didn't puree it smooth, it was good and lumpy. If you have a stick blender, just use that and pulse a few times, til it gets to looking right.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1655
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I was imagining that it would look like baby food after pureeing. We have a stick blender, so I'll get to actually use it!

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, November 09, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanksgiving planners: i've spent some time this evening researching turkey brining using buttermilk&salt&spices. i've previously been very successful with water&salt brine, but because i love to try new things, i'm seriously considering moving into the buttermilk brine mode. i've read that buttermilk brine works with the calcium in the turkey to release enzymes so that the salt&spices enter deeply, more deep than an acid brine and water-based brine. is there anyone on this forum that has used buttermilk-based brine for their turkey? i'd love to hear how things went.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, November 10, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For your sauce for Almond Chicken try this. I was trying to duplicate the Panda Express Black Pepper Chicken recipe and used this recipe to make the sauce. Purchase Oyster Sauce, not Oyster flavored sauce. I get mine at an Oriental Grocery store.

Chinese Brown Sauce from http://chinesefood.about.com/

This is a great web site for Chinese Recipes.

You'll often find this easy to make brown sauce accompanying popular Chinese dishes such as Beef with Broccoli.

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients:
3/4 cup beef broth (beef boullion cubes can be used)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Preparation:
Combine the above ingredients in order and bring to a boil, stirring. Yields about 1/3 cup.

Also, Eriedearie, Thanks for the Beef Barley recipe, can't wait to try it. :-)

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<bump>

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5640
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no energy to think of anything complicated so I'm going to make a pot of soup. I have organic barley, lentils, sweet onion, garlic, canned diced tomatoes, and the best foodstuff in the entire world to give it a base - BACON. I think I'll rummage through the freezer and find some bits of vegetables, I bet I have sweet corn in there.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6810
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erie, I'm a bit late, but do hit Far Flung Foods at the Windsor Market. As you enter, it's one of the first stalls on the left. Kitty Corner to Field Gate Organics.

They sell a caramelized Onion Cheddar that is second to none.

As for the Old Fort Cheddar question, I hate to burst your bubble, but Fort is French for Strong.

Old in English - Fort in French :-)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3960
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw - thanks for the tips. I'll have to get some of the onion cheddar you mentioned. Sounds like it would be very tasty...yummm. You're not late chiming in at all. In fact, just on time, since we are headed there maybe tomorrow or Friday.

I want to get stocked up on some great cheeses to serve with crackers and fruit for American Thanksgiving. My peeps are crossing the border to celebrate in Canada again this year!

So, Fort means strong in French? I should have known, eh! :-)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6811
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is more cheese there than you can shake a stick at...

Also if you're coming into the city, don't forget Galati Cheese, local made Mozzarella and the like... They're on Tecumseh Rd. W. on the bend just west of the home hardware and bowling alley...

http://www.ylm.ca/Orgs/YLM_Com pany_Detail.asp?id=209678&Page ID=&location=0&PageType=Contac t

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3977
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks again Aiw - You know, that place is right over by my sister-in-laws. I've always thought cheese was only made there, not sold there. I'll be sure to stop in on our next travels. With the rainy day today - we're going into town tomorrow! In search of cheese! :-) - Farmer's Market and Galati!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7918
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try Soylent Green. It has a delicious human taste!

(Message edited by danny on November 13, 2008)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1678
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump.

Beef stroganoff for dinner tonight. Hubby is making it. I will stay seated in the living room with my cocktail!

Garam masala. Who has a recipe that includes it, but no other unavailable in The Ozarks Indian spices?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5647
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use Indian spices with chickpeas with onion, spinach and red pepper. Toast the spices first to bring out all the flavor.

The Internets are a wonderful thing if you want something not available at the corner!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Oldred, the internet would be great if I bought things on it. The thing is, I don't have any desire to buy anything on-line. A couple of reasons that will seem to most anyone else silly. First, we don't use a credit card (except for emergencies), I don't understand the whole pay pal thing, and I don't trust that my information will stay private. Too many identity theft worries.

So, I just make meals with what I can buy at the local supermarket.

We have a store here that sells fancy foods at a fraction of the normal price. Millbrook is a distribution company and the store is part of them. I bought a six pack of Vernor's for $1.72 the other day!

Also, Terramedi olives for $2.50 a jar. Delicious. They don't always have the same things, so it can be exciting. We do have Tahini, so that's something, isn't it! :-)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 3989
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw - we visited Far Flung Foods today! Oh! Shoot! - I was so engrossed with tasting the gorgonzola's, blues and sharp cheeses I forgot all about the caramelized onion cheddar till signed on here! We'll have to make a return visit again soon! I found what I was looking for in a sharp, sharp flavor. I think I made some excellent choices. Including a nice wedge of parmesan to grate. Also stopped in at Galati and picked up a nice wedge of their extra sharp provolone.

So thank you for chiming in here and recommending Far Flung to me. I will return there time and time again. :-)

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just found out I can make my own garam masala. It's easy. Yippee.

I was thinking of you today, Erie. Picturing you doing exactly what you just said you did. Sounds like a perfect day! (except for the onion cheddar miss)