Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Just a place to rant....or ..rave.......... » Archive through December 18, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4798
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Rant: Bakeries in general need to sell smaller loaves. I buy the smallest loaf available, and I have to constantly shove bread down my throat to finish it all before it becomes inedible. I almost always end up throwing the last few slices away. I hate wasting food.

Store the bread in your freezer and thaw out slices as needed.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will one of those little shelves minifridges have for ice-cube trays work? I don't have a real freezer, and I feel like that shelf is not nearly as cold as a proper freezer (takes forever to make ice, anyway). I'm worried it would just make all the moisture from the loaf condense and refreeze on the inside of the bag, and make the bread all dry and nasty. Thanks for the tip, either way.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant:

Being more than qualified for a potential job opening in a city I love and being turned down...3 times in a week...Really starting to grind my gears...

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 8967
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave: Erwin Farms Apple Orchard and Cider Mill. Yum! Take a hayride through the orchard and stop off at the variety of apple you'd like to pick. Also get some pumpkins from the pumpkin patch and then stop off at the mill for some hot cider and donuts to warm up! Located in South Lyon.

Rant: The show House has sucked since about half way through season 3.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 500
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox-cut the loaf in half and freeze the rest of it.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Wednesday, October 29, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave: Love Firefox Greasemonkey extension scripts, I just changed the default color of read internet links and topics on this board from a pale red to green, less strain on the eyes and easier to spot unread or new posts on threads here.

Another one that I like makes global word and name changes within the script...Mc.Cain, Bu.sh, Lim.baugh, Cou.lter, Han.nity, Pa.lin, and Mal.kin all have new names when I changed them to something else, and the changes appear on any link or web page I view...LOL!!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2750
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant: Neighbors with barking dogs.
Rave: The dogs, they don't know any better.
Rant: The owners.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 15730
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't know any better and it is normal for Dogs to bark. Trying to suppress it is only acceptable to the degree that the behavior is excessive or obsessive.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Friday, October 31, 2008 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cc?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5584
Posted on Saturday, November 01, 2008 - 8:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinbox, buy a breadbox. They work.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2162
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave;

These new bagel things with the cream cheese INSIDE! I'm hooked. We just got a box of pretzel ones, filled with cheese too.

They aren't just convenient, they also taste pretty good (not the best thing for you health wise, of course). Now how about some french fries with the ketchup inside...? :-)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2892
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sog Factor 10.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1562
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant: AutoCAD 2008's inability to process simple functions when more than 5 x-ref's are attached and I am trying to edit a block group in drawing...

NERD ALERT

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2863
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AutoCAD sucks, always has. Another case where some industries are behind the times.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My office won't use Rhino...

eh...just another day

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 185
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc: The National Air and Space Museum (Chantilly, VA location) uses Autocad for its layout with hundreds of x-refs, artifact listing, so it must be possible. It may be worth investing in an hour consultation with caddmicro in order to get all the issues addressed. AJ is such a nerd who knows Autocad coding thoroughly and could answer your every question, he works here. Other consultants may work too, but AJ really works the magic.

(Message edited by Lnfant on November 11, 2008)

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 421
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drivers in Hamtramck need to SLOW DOWN!!

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9093
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lodge either needs its speed limit raised, or people need to slow down. We can not go on living with this mockery of law and order on M-10.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8091
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Drivers in Hamtramck need to SLOW DOWN!!"

hmmmm...i'd rather have them just learn how to
a)use headlights
b)turn the turn signals on BEFORE starting the turn, and preferably before getting to the intersection
c)not stop at every other intersection trying to figure out where to go

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 15957
Posted on Tuesday, November 11, 2008 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why hasn't the speed limit on the Lodge been raised anyway?

Bigb23

Post Number: 2844
Posted on Wednesday, November 12, 2008 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave -

When this forum slows down, I go to other forums for a laugh.

Check out this thread, funny discourses on it.
(cryptozoology.com)

I see Dragons

Sirrealone
Username: Sirrealone

Post Number: 270
Posted on Thursday, November 13, 2008 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why hasn't the speed limit on the Lodge been raised anyway?

I believe it's because of the higher than normal number of entrance ramps, some of which are quite short. A 55 MPH speed limit would in theory create a more even flow between the faster freeway drivers and the slower traffic merging.

When people fly down the freeway like maniacs and then have to slam on their brakes to let a merging driver in, this actually leads to more jams than if they had just driven slower to begin with which wouldn't require braking to allow traffic from the entrance ramp.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3023
Posted on Thursday, November 27, 2008 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave - Black Snake Moan

I've listened to the directors commentary on the DVD and appreciate his help for forgotten blues artists with the soundtrack. And also his mentoring of hopeful directors in Indie films.

And is Christina Ricci hot in that film?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3080
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave again, I've found a great wallpaper for the desktop - I enhanced on photoshop the best I could with a smaller bit rate. This is far better.

We fear humans on this forum, also fear Gaia.

http://home.comcast.net/~forum _image_host/chaiten.jpg

http://cache.io9.com/assets/re sources/2008/05/chilevolcano.j pg

Bigb23

Post Number: 3081
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave - another nightly Cc run. It's like a drive-by in D-town.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23...I saw the movie during it's first-run; I was impressed.
I agree (100%) with your opinion of Miss Ricci; my doubting side wonders aloud...are they real?

(Message edited by chuckjav on December 04, 2008)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8304
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, they are real, and a bit smaller than they were in prozac nation

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The dark haired woman of the three in the new T Mobile commercial is the spitting female image of Jack Black...his sister, perhaps?

Bigb23

Post Number: 2867
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant ))))

People - slow down while driving through store parking lots. Not only during this busy season, but all the time.

Today I saw a pedestrian hit by a car that was doing at least 25 mph before she hit the brakes. The woman was chatting on the phone before the impact, and paramedics and police were called to the scene.

On my way out of that parking lot, just about every other driver I saw, was speeding and BS-ing on the cellphone.

Also -

Keep an eye on your receipts at the stores. I was overcharged about 30% on some items at Meijer. When I went to customer services, waited in line and through a verification call, they just gave me just the difference back. When I informed her about state law and five times the amount penalty, she said that applied only to tagged items. Well, 50% of the food goods are not tagged. I made my case again and got two $2.50 off coupons on my next purchase.

It's the principle that counts. How many don't catch it or don't bother ?

Edited for clarity.

(Message edited by Bigb23 on December 19, 2008)

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 371
Posted on Thursday, December 18, 2008 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ricci had a breast reduction when she was about 19 years old.