Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Archive through December 27, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1744
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember how I couldn't get tasty coffee out oaf my pot? Well, I tried Folgers Black Silk coffee and what comes out of the machine into the pot is really good. I don't like to use Folger's because I'm mad at them for going to plastic containers forcing everyone else (Maxwell House in particular) to go to plastic. I used the tin ones for bacon grease, etc. I know, what a baby. Waaah, waaah, waaah.

Oh, and the roast that I put in the crock pot today turned out kind of sucky. Can't win'em all. Mr. Ozarks will fry pieces w/cumin, salt ant pepper and we will use them for tacos. Onions, cilantro, lime, maybe salsa. Best use of over-cooked roast beef.

Just wanted to bump and tell.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4223
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zarks - that Reuben dip sounds terrific.

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and I'll pick up some of that coffee. Since I've stopped using Decaf I get a lot more stuff done around here. The decaf was making me too tired. I love REAL coffee!

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 4879
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2894
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just had a hot pork sandwich - diner style. The perfect lunch before I drag the snowblower out.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4256
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The weather today calls for a hillbilly supper! I've got a piece of ham I'm putting in a pot with cranberry beans that have been soaking since last night. Ingredients are at the ready for a skillet of cornbread. I'll cut up a sweet onion, pour glasses of buttermilk, and we've got supper on the table!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 2896
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your Appalachian roots are showin' Erie.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made the exact same recipe this morning. good thing too since I didn't realize i'm out of eggs. now i have to slog out in this snow to get eggs for my other recipes.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5170
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is a cranberry bean?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 982
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to make cupboard surprise! Today's a good day to experiment. I'll post later with the results

Carolcb

Post Number: 4882
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are little red and cream colored beans. Sorry I am not being more descriptive. ( - :

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4258
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jcole - they're a dried bean you would find next to the pinto or navy bean in the supermarket. They actually are grown in Michigan's thumb area. I can't remember the name of the little town we would stop in to buy beans direct from the farmer on our way to Caseville. They were the best. Cranberry beans have a reddish dappled skin.

http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0, 1607,7-125-1570_2468_2471-1285 9--,00.html

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4259
Posted on Friday, December 19, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Bigb. Sometimes I just have to let those roots hit the surface! Today is a good day for it! - remembering when we would get the rare snowfall there when I was a kid and me and grandma would build a snowman - and use REAL coal for the eyes and mouth and buttons! Happy memories :-)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5801
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A pot of beans would be lovely if I had the time. I'm just making stuff to take to pot luck parties for the next week. But while I'm standing at the trough, paper plate in my hand, I'm dreaming of what I'll make when the damn holidays are over.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2762
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't find my recipe, so I made this instead. I don't like the beans too sweet.

Creamy Baked Beans

2 cups dried beans
Soak overnight, or soak two hours then add 1/4 tsp ginger and boil however long it takes, stirring occasionally, til the skin breaks on a spoon of beans when you blow on them.

Heat oven to 350.

Or cheat like I did and use a 48 oz jar. This time I used pinto beans juice and all.

Put in 8 x 11 pan

Stir in about 1 cup chopped onions (2 onions)
1/2 cup sour cream (lite works)
1/2 T salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 T molasses (or maple syrup)
If using real soaked beans instead of the jar, add about 1 c. boiling water

Cover tightly and bake 2 hours. Remove cover and bake another half hour.

Serve up with hot cornbread and that is snow day heaven.

[Editing to add the bit about the boiling water]

(Message edited by gazhekwe on December 20, 2008)

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4272
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gazhekwe - Oh that sounds so good. I will be making that recipe :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7333
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathinozarks,

I made a batch of your Reuben Dip today at work.

It was a HIT! We'll be adding it to our catering and party tray menu at the very least.

Plus we go through a lot of corned beef each week and this will be a way to use up those endcuts that accumulate.

Plus it is damn GOOD, I'll be making it for our family Christmas party as well as my traditional chicken liver pate that Mom requested.

Happy Holidays.

Jams

Post Number: 7334
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie,
A thank you is overdue for that recipe, I'm hoping to find some time this week to make a batch.

Damn, those shells are hard to crack. I'm going to try putting the nut in a vise and using a sharp hatchet to split them since I only need pieces not the whole nutmeat.

Happy Holidays!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Saturday, December 20, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, I am so happy to hear that you liked the Reuben Dip! Awww shucks,..I'm all proud of myself right now :-)

I know there are a million Reuben dip recipes out there, but this one I just threw together myself, so I'm all happy that my recipe worked.

Hey - We had a pot of beans w/ham and skillet cornbread for dinner tonight! Drink of choice for me was Canada Dry Ginger Ale. I use buttermilk to marinate chicken, but can't drink it straight. It's funny because I try it every time I have it and I still can't get past the first gulp. I thought I would/could eat anything!

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5803
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, please to give chicken liver recipe. Thank you.

Eriedearie

Post Number: 4285
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams - you're welcome :-) - and yes, those shells are hard to crack. I boiled some to see how they would work. They cracked a bit easier, but not much. I put hubby to work on them and he got the vise out. That cracks them much faster, but you really have to have patience in getting the nutmeats out of the shells. But it is SO worth it.

Our boys came out this morning with the big snowblower and cleared a good path for us. So for a breakfast treat (and payment!) I fixed a couple batches of banana, black walnut pancakes with Canadian maple syrup drizzled on top. Oh WOW! That's the response I got from both of them. They saved a few for me and hubby and I must say they were incredible!

Let me know how the black walnut cookies turn out. Mine came out good - they're in the fridge waiting on company!

Zarks - we finished off that pot of beans with warmed up cornbread last night. Good stuff, huh? You're that way with buttermilk like I am with regular milk - I can't get it past my lips. Oh well, to each his own.

Happy baking and Merry Christmas to all the cooks here,

From Eriedearie :-)

Jams

Post Number: 7343
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to Jacques Pepin, this has been my contribution to the family feast for over 20 years.

CHICKEN LIVER PATE

1 lb chicken livers
2/3 cup thinly sliced onions
1 clove of garlic peeled and crushed
2 Bay leaves (crushed)
1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
1 cup water
2 tsp salt
3 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
Freshly ground pepper
2 tsp Cognac, Brandy, or Whiskey (and a snifter or two for the cook :-) )

Put livers, onions, garlic, bay leaf thyme, 1tsp of salt and water into saucepan. Bing to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 7-8 minutes. Remove from heat and let mixture rest for 5 minutes.

Remove solids with slotted spoon to bowl of food processor (Strain and reserve liquid for aspic)

Process liver mix adding butter piece by piece.

Add 1 tsp salt,pepper and liquor,process until smooth and creamy.

Pour into mold and refrigerate to set and serve.

Now my favourite part:
Decorate using blanched scallions, pieces of tomato or any edible vegetables that strike your fancy (Christmas trees designs are still my favourite) and cover with aspic.

To make aspic:
1 cup strained reserved liquid
1 pack of unflavoured gelatin.
Place in saucepan and bring to almost a boil and gelatin is completely melted.

Place saucepan on ice and stir until liquid is syrupy, shiny and about to set.

Pour and spread aspic on top of decorated pate about 1/4 inch thick.

After it sets, serve, but be forewarned, no-one ever wants to be the first to cut into that beautiful stained glass like finish, so you'll have to.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5804
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Sunday, December 21, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where I live the aspic part would be the kiss of death. I can make it without it, right?

Bobby08
Username: Bobby08

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know of a good marinade for lamb chops?

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5805
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would use a dry rub of salt, pepper and finely ground herbs d provence. Not too much, the lamb is so flavorful. Then a hot hot hot sear. No more. Big glass of wine.

Carolcb

Post Number: 4887
Posted on Monday, December 22, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we come over?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am taking your word that the Rueben Dip is good and will be making and taking it to the family Christmas Eve social. We have done some marathon cookie baking this year.

We have made chocolate nut wafers, Russian teaball, bar cookies, chocolate chip cookies and when I finish this post I am heading downstairs to make a double batch of Spritz cookies.

Keep the recipe ideas coming.

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1755
Posted on Tuesday, December 23, 2008 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will love it Sumas!

Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick question:

How long would you keep a fully cooked spiral cut ham in the refrigerator before cutting it up and freezing it?

I've eaten cooked food/meat that has been in the fridge for a week and been just fine. Mom says she's done it all her life. Waste not, want not and all that stuff. (Great Depression baby)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2773
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it isn't green, it's fine. If it is green, wash it off, and it's fine. That's the backwoods way.

A week shouldn't faze it. Dry cured hams are hung in attics for months.

All the same, I am getting to mine today, as I am already tired of ham.