Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Archive through January 16, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2809
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love crushed lentil soup. I think the spices are cumin, coriander, pepper and lemon juice. Once it is all cooked, you can puree it with a stick blender. I love my stick blender!

Here is a recipe from Sahtein, a locally printed Middle East Cookbook. (I have added some adjustments in parentheses.)

Shorabat Addas

2 c lentils (some call for red lentils)
7 c water
1 large onion, chopped
1 T flour
1/4 c olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp cumin (I would add more, taste and adjust)
(This recipe does not call for coriander, but I would add 1/2 tsp or more to taste)

Place washed lentils and chopped onion in water and simmer, covered, for one hour.

Mix oil, flour, salt and spices in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup soup and stir well. Pure into soup and continue simmering until lentils are well cooked (an hour?). Add lemon juice and simmer 5 minutes.
(Now, puree it and serve). Six servings.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4352
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz - thanks for those soup recipes :-) I often make split pea soup with ham but never thought about adding the carrots and celery. I will be making your recipe. But I think I'll do your buckskin bread recipe to go along with it. We recently had cornbread when I did that pot of beans!

As for the lentil soup from Cedar's - I've had it and just LOVE it. I'm a fan of cumin and will put lots in there :-) I will use your recipe for that too.

Carol & Gnome - I haven't forgotten about your pie crust recipes. It ended up I didn't have to bake pies for the holidays. Everyone just wanted cookies. But I will post my reviews on your crusts when I do them.

This is my favorite thread - you guys post really great stuff. Thank you.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite thread too.

Anthony Bourdain is in Mexico City on TV right now. A new 2009 show. OMG, I wish I could cook like they do down there. I've loved the food when I went (only twice), and it's insane how delicious all the food looks right now..I'm drooling....

I just may have to master the art of hand-made corn tortillas.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2811
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmmm, yes, the Buckskin Bread is outstanding with any soup, one of our faves.

Kath, how about a tortilla press? Makes the job a cinch:

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/p detail.asp?i=3&p=17

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 2370
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie, hi and I didn't make any pies either. I have a bunch of cookie cutters from my x-husband's 97 year-old aunt (she still lives alone and dyes her hair red), and so I made some gingerbread cookies with her cookie cutters. Other than that, we just had ham and mashed potatoes and real corn from the farm....on the day after. We ate at the in-laws on the 25th.

I know I already talked about this two years ago - or whenever - but I ate at one of Bourdain's restaurants (NYC).......it was a memorable evening for many reasons and ended too soon. The food was yummy. Lamb-oysters on the half-evil irish lad across table....ok, shut up!

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2816
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quick, grab some eggnog while it is on sale! Then make this,

The.Most.Amazing.Rice.Pudding. Ever.

1 quart eggnog
scant 1/2 cup long grain rice, raw

Preheat oven to 300. Butter a 6 cup mold or baking dish. Pour in eggnog and mix in the rice. Put the dish in another shallow pan in case it boils over. Bake 3 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours. Bake until rice is very tender (it will almost disappear). Serve warm or cold with nutmeg grated over the top, and maybe some whipped cream. 8 servings.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on January 07, 2009)

Carolcb

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9170
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have been making pizzas with dough from Cantoro's Italian Market in Livonia. Did chicken, artichoke and broccoli last week, had pepperoni, onion and red and yellow peppers this week. Also been grabbing their homemade pastas and sauce too. Easy and delicious! Way better than boxed pasta from the grocery store, and a lot easier than rolling and cutting your own.

Carolcb

Post Number: 2380
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - I am with you - I have been buying Tizios frozen dough at Meijer - and it is really good. Corn meal on the jelly roll pan, roll out the dough, and then just Meijer sauce and the green pepperoni they sell. And Sargento 5 cheese Ital...450 for 13 minutes or so. And very inexpensive as well.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3237
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Green pepperoni ? Never heard of it.
I just use frozen bread dough for my home made pizza.
And I was at a Kowalski's outlet in December, and they sell Buschemi's pizza sauce in a jar! I wish I would have bought some then. Because Buschemi's stores don't seem to.

Carolcb

Post Number: 2381
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't say that right, Bigb23. It is in the green package. I don't remember the name. Just don't buy the Meijer pepperoni - it is gross, but their pizza sauce is AOK and so is the cheese. But the Sargento cheese is fantastic but I usually only buy it if it is on sale. ( - :

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2860
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, pizza coming up. I can't handle pizza sauce, so I use salsa, cojack cheese, peppers, onions, mushrooms and olives. No meat, well, maybe a little crumbled bacon.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3248
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just checked my pepperoni in the fridge, it's Meijer's and not green ! (Yet). I don't see anything wrong with it as far as quality. You can also make Calzones with the above ingredients.

That way all the toppings don't slide off onto your chin/lap.
I usually make a regular square pizza and then roll it up jelly roll style, bake, and cut off portion size pieces.

I have a counter top convection oven, and its great for re-heats.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3254
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Carolcb -

I was just at Meijer and looked for the "Green" pepperoni, and didn't see anything like it. Bought the store brand pizza sauce for a try, and bought 3 Tizios frozen dough.
Question about the dough, let it rise before or after spreading in the pan ? (Instructions banded).

Also check your receipts.

I do, more than 80% of the time, and today, only after I got home, (14 mi. away), I found out I was double charged on two pasta sauces. I was aching and I forgot to check at the store.

This is getting really old fast. Too many mistakes in their favor over the past few years.

:-( :-(

Bigb23

Post Number: 3261
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S.- Nice catch on Tizio dough, it's made in Sterling Heights, and I've been on a buy Michigan crusade lately.

http://www.buymichigannow.com/

http://www.harvestmichigan.com/

Edited for additional link.

(Message edited by Bigb23 on January 15, 2009)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3288
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump - Pizza not Politics. :-)

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 575
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really in the mood for lake perch. Sometimes I make it (pan fried) and it turns out great, other times, its yuck. Can someone tell me a sure fire method of cooking perch. Sometimes I can get it fresh but mostly its available frozen. Tips anyone?

Carolcb

Post Number: 2384
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bigb.....I have had great success with this dough. Usually I let it defrost in the fridge, and sometimes I have to punch it down and the put it back in the fridge. When it starts to get big, I put the dough (still in the bag) and put it in a big gallon ziplock.
But when I am ready to use it I flour either a board or parchment paper and shape it into a circle and then start rolling it out til it is about 10 or 12 inches round - and then I pick it up and start pulling it to fit into my pans (they are oblong). I cover it with the sauce and the pepperoni and whatever cheese and pop it in the oven at 450 for about 14 minutes. I cover the pan with corn meal instead of oil. But let me add you want to move that pan into the oven within less than a minute IMHO - I don't oil the pan. It is yummy yummy. And inexpensive. And it is from Sterling Heights! ( - :

Bigb23

Post Number: 3293
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Cb. I'll start defrosting it now. The pepperoni on sale was Hormel and they are 3 1/2" around ! Thats new to me.

Sumas - When I ice fish for Crappy and Perch, I soak the fillets in milk for several hours, drain well, and dredge in a Flour/Corn meal mixture with Season salt and onion powder.

Fry in HOT shortening until coating is crispy.
Sometimes I make a Polish mustard/Miracle whip/sweet relish dipping sauce.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2861
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, don't cook that fish too long, it doesn't take much to overcook a little perch filet.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3304
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A quick question - I bought a super moist cake mix on sale, and will cook it with my pizza tonight. The instructions call for three eggs and a whole stick of butter !

Can I sub margarine and get the same results ? I have the butter, but it's kind of a special occasion thing. I don't bake cakes much.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2862
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use regular margarine instead of butter all the time. It can't be reduced fat margarine is all. It might have a slight effect on the taste, but if you eat margarine regularly, you won't even notice it.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5552
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Make sure it's stick margarine, though. Not the tub stuff. The tub margarine has air whipped into it.

(Message edited by jcole on January 16, 2009)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3305
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks - I'm a good cook, but I've had disasters in the past ! I just don't want to waste good butter.

Jcole

Post Number: 5554
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a kid and my mom baked scratch or box cakes, she always used stick margarine. She only used real butter in her Christmas cookies. She grew up in the Depression, and considered butter to be special occasion stuff. And her cakes were good.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3317
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay - another stupid question. Should I hand beat or use a stick blender or both for the batter ? I gave away my bowl mixer years ago. (okay, maybe a bump) :-)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3318
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay - another stupid question. Should I hand beat or use a stick blender or both for the batter ? I gave away my bowl mixer years ago. (okay, maybe a bump) :-)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3319
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3320
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry that this was posted three times - I get an "Internal Server Error", trying to delete. So I had an extra two stupid questions.

Jcole

Post Number: 5557
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd go with the hand beater. I don't know if a stick blender has enough power.
I was getting that same stupid internal server error earlier today and had to delete a couple dupes.