Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Archive through January 17, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think hand beating is always favorable - and much safer! :-)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3323
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm home on a Friday night watching "Wife Swap" and trading recipes online.

My "Nads" just hit the floor, and are rolling away, never to be seen again.

Double layer cake almost finished.

Also - Carolcb, I don't recommend the cornmeal. But the pizza is done. (I like my old way).

I pre-cooked the crust with the onion, pepperoni, and ham. then added the cheese and sauce. (Pepperjack and Mozzarella)

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2864
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stick blender won't get in enough air unless it has a beater blade. Mine actually has an eggbeater blade. If you have one of those, go with the stick blender. If not, use arm power and a nice wooden spoon. Once the batter is all incorporated, then you give it 150 strokes. Good for that arm!

Bigb23

Post Number: 3327
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate wooden utensils, and I don't know why. The creepiest thing I can think of, is a wooden tongue depresser.

All worked well by the way, give some credit for guys, beyond Chicken McNuggets.

And please, no Tupperware things for the cake. (burrppp).

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2865
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, a metal spoon will work. I just find them harder on my hands for some reason. How about sending us some of that cake?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3333
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like nylon utensils, but have had a couple melt on the side of the skillet.

I'm looking for Silicone muffin/bread pans, are they cheap yet ? And where ?

Nads,- still in sight, but disappearing fast.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3341
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well - I did the dual layer cake - nothing for you, but a creation for me. The rest went well, but does anybody have a whipped mustard recipe for Ham ?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2866
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, did someone ask for that a few pages back?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2867
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Posted on Saturday, December 22, 2007 - 7:54 pm:
Is that whipped mustard to serve with the ham or to put on the ham while it is baking?

Here is one for the table, sounds wonderful:

Whipped Mustard Sauce

Contributed by: News Canada

Perfect topping for grilled fish such as salmon or trout.

Ingredients:

* 1/4 cup whipping cream (35%)
* 2 tbsp Maille Fine Selection mustard
* 3 tbsp Tournevent goat's cheese

Directions:

Whip cream in a medium mixing bowl using an electric mixer until cream begins to thicken (3 minutes).

Add Tournevent goat's cheese and Maille Fine Selection mustard and continue whipping until cream is thickened, but not forming full peaks.

Set aside in a cool place until ready to serve.

I think you could substitute any soft goat cheese (or even cream cheese in a pinch) and your favorite mustard. I like French's Spicy Brown, myself, or that grainy kind full of mustard seeds.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on January 17, 2009)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3346
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try that Gaz - but I try not to use goat products.(Just Me). The recipe I have in mind is from Newport Beach, Cal. (Last I heard they don't milk/slaughter goats there anymore). :-)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2869
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you can actually use any soft white cheese, even whip up some ricotta with your stick blender.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5571
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BigB, is this sauce a cold sauce or hot? Do you know if it's made from the ham drippings or just mustard, cream and other ingredients? I was looking online for a recipe, but there are many different styles

Bigb23

Post Number: 3352
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only had it once at a Christmas party in Newport Beach. It was cold like a spread, but somewhat whipped. And it was for the Ham only. It was a catered party, and I've been online for fourteen years, and have looked every place for it.

Gaz's recipe looks close, but at a pretty big expense to find out it's not even in the ballpark.

Just searching - Hey, how about home made sliders ?(White Castles)
Gerbers beef baby food, Hamburger, dehydrated onions, and sliced hot dog buns.

Jcole

Post Number: 5573
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the recipe for sliders before, but I could never bring myself to open the jar of beef baby food. That stuff smells like Alpo. I tried it on my daughter one time when she was a baby, and then started making my own baby foods so I wouldn't have to smell it again.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2871
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we make it Indian style, with what's in the house:

* 1/4 cup evaporated milk
* 2 tbsp your favorite mustard
* 3 tbsp cream cheese

Bigb23

Post Number: 3356
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oww- this site is killing me. Anyway - to start over, White Castle hamburgers at home -
mix Gerbers Beef baby food with hamburger and blend.
Roll out into a baking pan and freeze. Cut into squares ala White Castle, and cook with reconstituted onions to fit the trimmed hot dog buns. Ketchup and Mustard to your liking. (NO PICKLE)
Or you can make a 70 mile round trip to wait 1/2 hour to get the real thing. :-)

Gaz - I have that recipe, thats more my speed.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2873
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there you are, then. Just follow the fancy directions in the goat cheese recipe and call it a day. If you put the evap milk in a metal bowl in the fridge for a couple of hours, it will whip. Have the cream cheese softened a bit, or use ricotta, and just whip it in along with the mustard. Serve it up right quick.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3358
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz- I have Kowalski Polish mustard, how can I go back to ANYTHING else ?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2874
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, there you are. I like a good horseradish mustard. In fact, I'd be tempted to add a spoonful of horseradish, maybe even wasabi to this plain recipe.

Jcole

Post Number: 5576
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love a good horseradish sauce with roast beef.
I just use sour cream and horseradish stirred together. It's good with a dab of grainy mustard in it.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3359
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a fresh horseradish fanatic. I use Brede Inc. 19000 Glendale St. Detroit, Mi. on everything - Tuna Fish, Chicken, Smoked Ham, Pepsodent (Ha).

I still don't know what real wasabe is. And apparently neither can Chefs.

Jcole

Post Number: 5578
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I understand we don't often get real wasabi over here. "Many "wasabi" powder and paste products that are available in supermarkets (and even some restaurants) contain only very little or no real wasabi at all and are made of coloured horseradish instead. This is due to the fact that cultivation of real wasabi is relatively difficult and expensive."
This is according to japan-guide.com

Bigb23

Post Number: 3360
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, skip the "Yuppie" stuff and stick to old horseradish from Detroit. I remember when they had Spring Horseradish plants on most street corners.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2875
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty hard to find anything that gives you a good head jolt like fresh horseradish. I guess it isn't that hard to grow. It's worth a try. My husband's family has it fresh for each family get-together, and it is used on ham and kielbasa.

Jcole

Post Number: 5579
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to clean house for a guy that grated his own horseradish, and on the days he was doing it, you didn't want to be anywhere close to his house. You'd open the back door and get blown back about 5 feet. It is extremely powerful, and lingers for days.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3361
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz - we'll have to meet for coffee and exchanges. Let's meet,Ikwe,Waabishki.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2876
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey ya, Kchiamo. E-mail me where. Wednesday or Thursday coming up are good. Kawaabimin.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3362
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey - Jcole can you join us ? We are pretty hard scrabble up here too. Romeo and Almont ,Addison and Oakland.

Jcole

Post Number: 5580
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll have to see what the week brings. I may actually have a job this week. I do free lance and I got a call Friday. I'm waiting to see what day(s)I'm needed. I'll keep you posted.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4428
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigb - I've not tried this but a friend gave me a disk with all sorts of different chain restaurant recipes on it. Gut bombs included! Let us know if you do this and how they turn out!

White Castle Sliders
Get a pound of 85% lean ground beef, and divide into 16 equal sized pieces.
Form each into a 2-1/2 inch square patties. Do this on waxed paper. Make
the patties very thin. Then "cookie-cut" five holes in each pattie.
(the pattern should resemble 5 on a dice) A CLEAN pen cap works nicely.
Freeze these 16 patties. (It'll make it easier later)
BUNS: the buns are also small. My grocer has dinner rolls the exact size
I need, but you might have to create your own using hot dog buns. One
hot-dog bun makes two White Castle buns. Simply cut in half (through top
and bottom) and then cut off the rounded sides to make them square.
COOKING: This is key. You need to finely chop a medium white onion.
On a pre-heated 375 degree electric griddle, lay about 1-1/2 Tablespoons
of onion for each patty you want to cook (generously spray with non-stick
spray like Pam first) The onions should only be "one deep" if you will.
Immediately place frozen patty directly on top of onions and press down.
Cook for about 4 minutes right on top of the onions. The holes in the beef
will allow the steam to cook the top side. (You don't flip)
Add a dash of salt and a pinch of pepper to each patty while they cook.
Remove and place on UNTOASTED buns.

Enjoy! :-)

Gosh this thread has given me the munchies!