Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Just a place to rant....or ..rave.......... » Archive through January 10, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9071
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave: Uni-ball micro pens. Why settle for less? The Cadillac of ink applicators.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3024
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave: the Pilot G-2 07, my favorite writing pen of all time.

quote:

Where? There aren't too many places to do that here.

I found that hard to find Kero wick up at the Do-It center. Saved my ass, during the outages Sunday.

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5258
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the Do-it is like the shopping mall of Almont. That and the grocery store with the 3/4 empty shelves and the mini Rite-Aid.
BTW, when my daughter was a teen-ager, every time someone said they were going to the Do-It Center, she'd snicker. Dirty minded kid

Bigb23

Post Number: 3079
Posted on Thursday, January 01, 2009 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craigd - If you are still here, this is only a farce.

Local Woman Dies Of Lost Cell Phone

June 23, 2004 | Issue 40•25

APALACHICOLA, FL—Catherine Polk, 24, died at a local Starbucks Monday afternoon, due to complications resulting from the tragic loss of her cell phone. "It was horrible—Cathy didn't have any of her numbers written down anywhere else, and she was waiting on a call about last-minute tickets for a concert," said best friend Melissa Barreth, who was with Polk when she first discovered that her Cingular V400 quad band/GSM cell phone was not in her purse. "We tried everything to find it, but in the end, there was nothing we could do." The coroner's report confirmed that Polk died of a sudden lack of wireless service.

http://www.theonion.com/conten t/node/32871

Bigb23

Post Number: 3095
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave - Since I went without cable, two of the reruns I like most now, are "King of Queens" and "Law and Order". Why did I miss them the first time around ?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Friday, January 02, 2009 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that the Everest Institute commercial has been changed, it looks they might have finally dumped that ditzy girl "I have a job...giggle giggle!!" for a little more sophisticated one.

Good....I muted the sound when that annoying commercial comes on. Cash4Gold is another, the "Safe, Secure Transaction, With Satisfaction Guaranteed" makes me want to smack that spokesman's (owner's?) smile right off his face...More like ripoff guaranteed, just from reading the complaints by the stupid suckers who actually sent their gold jewelry to them..LOL!!

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 17914
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the seller and buyer are satisfied, how is it a ripoff?

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They prey on the uninformed, desperate, and vulnerable. I never do business with online merchants or business advertisements in the media w/o doing some research and background checking first. Buyer/Seller beware:

Cash 4 Gold is a SCAM CONFIRMED

Ccbatson

Post Number: 17921
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was not aware, thank you for the heads up Flanders...another looter and moocher in our midst. This is the kind of thing that government is supposed to put a stop to...but hasn't...why?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8939
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is growth and assumed expansion in our corporate capitalist marketplace to consider...I didn't think anything labelled 'profit' would be bad in your book, Cc.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9091
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RANT:

Wal*Mart, Meijer, etc. should not be in the business of selling live fish. I checked out the fish at a local Meijer and was surprised to see what they were selling. They keep incompatible fish together (as evidenced by all the dead fish floating about) and there were sure signs of ich in some tanks. These tanks should marked Not For Sale and be treated. They also claim certain fish can live in a bowl, when they certainly cannot. I asked the person in charge of the fish about all the Common Plecostymus I saw (a couple in almost every tank!).. These fish grow VERY large. The person said, and I quote "I just see them when they come in and when they get sold, that's all I know".

Imagine all the Plecos out there over a foot long stuck in someone's 20 gallon aquarium. Well, you can't imagine that because they'd probably already be dead from stress. I know fish don't carry the status of kittens and puppies, but this seems wrong.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 17922
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair and honest profit is a great virtue...never a fault.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave - If I can find them, free 3D glasses for the upcoming Super Bowl commercial and "Chuck".

Over the years, I've tried to locate these 3D promotions, and they've always been out of them.

Just give a heads up here.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 17971
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave=polarized 3d
Rant= crappy red-blue 3d

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6295
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rave: Mike Mozart's inappropriately suggestive children's toys.

Naughtiest Toys - 13 Videos

Naughtiest Toys - 13 Videos

He must like coffee.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8257
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fair and honest profit is a great virtue...never a fault."

emphasis on the "fair and honest" part

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18014
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely correct (for once Rb). Governmental intervention and redistribution of wealth whereby individual property rights are violated by force is the opposite of fair and honest.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3199
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2009 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Governmental intervention and redistribution of wealth...

As in C-130's, headed to Iraq, filled with pallets of American taxpayer cash, to bribe the locals not to kill us. Because we were "liberating" them.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 467
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I want is a coffee carafe that will not dribble when I pour my first cup of coffeee in the morning. I don't know why this is a problem, because humans have been making pitchers since the beginning of time. Why a coffee carafe isn't able to pour a clean cup of coffee.

Does anybody else have a problem? Because both my hubby and I make a mess getting a cup of coffee. Must be pouring too fast, but really...it's 2009 all ready. There is at least 40,000 years of potery experience making pitchers!

We have the technology...we can rebuild it...

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4392
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mama_jackson! Same here - our Mr. Coffee coffee carafe does that. I always have to keep something on the counter to soak up the dribbles.

If the makers of those things would just put a little extra bit of pucker into the spout area I think they'd have it solved!

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 824
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talking about redistribution of wealth:

Between 1979 and 2005, the bottom half of the top 1 percent saw their average
incomes only double, after inflation. These incomes increased 105 percent. The
next highest four-tenths of the top 1 percent somewhat raised the income bar.
Their average incomes, after inflation, rose 161 percent.
That brings us to the top 0.1 percent of Americans. Their incomes, from 1979 to
2005, rose a staggering 294 percent after taking inflation into account. Not bad
at all. But the top 0.01 percent did even better. The 11,000 households in this
rarified air took home an average $35.5 million in 2005, a 384 percent increase
over average top 0.01 percent incomes in 1979.
Need some perspective here? Let's compare Americans at the top to Americans in
the middle. Between 1979 and 2005, the average income of America’s statistical
middle class — the 20 percent of Americans in the exact middle of the U.S.
income distribution — rose, according to the CBO figures, a mere 15 percent.
That's less than 1 percent a year.
But many average Americans never actually saw that less than 1 percent.

from Report Card on Reaganomics, at Pizzigati's Too much website.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 468
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eriedearie, our current coffee pot is Mr. Coffee! But I have had this problem with West Bend, Black and Decker, etc. What few pennies it would cost to correct their error on this would be well worth it in aggravation saved daily!

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4400
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Mama_jackson, instead of aggravation served daily! :-)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6320
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might not be practical for the coffee pot problem but in chemistry we learned a technique for safely pouring liquids from a beaker. You hold a glass rod across the top with one finger then pour it so the liquid runs down the rod. The liquid's surface tension causes it to stick to the rod enough to avoid drips. Maybe some other kitchen utinsel would work instead of a glass rod.

You're right though. You shouldn't have to compensate for a poor design. A dripless carafe isn't too much to ask.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18023
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defense is a constitutionally specified and appropriate role of government.

Without the producers of the world, and specifically of the US, there are no jobs, there is no progress, and no prosperity. Increasing wealth of the producers is a good sign for everybody. The converse is also true.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8968
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is merely a nefarious plot to get you all in a bad mood each day.

No crying over spilled coffee. Who drinks milk nowadays?!

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>No crying over spilled coffee. Who drinks milk nowadays?!<<

I do. Keeps the hot flashes away. :-|

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5486
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Running through the snow naked helps that, too

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pics?

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not today, I'm trying to cut back. ;-)