Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » New RNC Chairperson - Michael Steele » Archive through January 31, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is change.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3651
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if this move will get them any more mileage than the LAST time they appointed a black person who disagrees with most blacks on everything (condi rice) to a position of power.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 18404
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clarence Thomas is an even better example of THE FACT that race does not determine ideology.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We knew that race does not determine ideology.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RNC Elects its first African-American leader

Of course they did

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although Steele wasn't the RNC's first choice (6th ballot) it does give the GOP a serious AA Catholic who can bash the Obama administration's policies (abortion rights, ect..) w/o making it appear racist in any way.

It could turn into a smart move on their part, but will he be able to attract more black voters to the Republican Party?

Perhaps the wealthier and religious, if they become dissatisfied or impatient with President Obama's moves to fix the economy, and/or issues that affect them directly.

This also may not sit well with those who are open and closet bigots in their party, and after watching some of the videos of the McCain/Palin rallies, there are plenty of them.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on January 30, 2009)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7618
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The better news is he is a moderate. Maybe the RNC might realize if they are to be a voice in this country, it will have to reach out to the real concerns, not just those of the neo-con minority.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9278
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Republican Party is still around? I thought they went the way of the Whigs.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4931
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's come a long way since the Bangles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T he_Bangles

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michael Steele threw his hat in with the neocons in the last presidential primary. At the 3 minute mark of this video, Steele says that Ron Paul didn't belong in the debates because he was against the Iraq war. Steele is just about holding hands with Hannity not to mention lizard man Carl Cameron. Steele couldn't portray his neocon allegiance better if he tried. He will take the Republican Party nowhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =FXE45ncH1a8

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2288
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub, you are so closed minded. I remember you defending Rev. Wright because his video speaches were taken out of context.

You can't be liberal AND close-minded.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7622
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub,
I think my credentials, as Karl so lovingly referred to me, as a lefty-loon are still intact.

But I still applaud the RNC's choice as a glimmer of reason.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1056
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GOP egos might simply use Steele as a prop, and self-righteously propel the GOP cause forward. Over and beyond Steele himself. A rung in the ladder forward. Steele certainly uses the word "I" often.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on January 31, 2009)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2148
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Dec. 2005 article, A horse of a different color: Maryland's Michael Steele and the courage of the black Republican:

quote:

Kenneth Blackwell.... says that black Republicans--of whom he is one--should wear racial attacks as "a badge of honor": "Because if you weren't a threat," to establishments both black and white, "they wouldn't bother with you."

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Although Steele wasn't the RNC's first choice (6th ballot) it does give the GOP a serious AA Catholic who can bash the Obama administration's policies (abortion rights, ect..) w/o making it appear racist in any way."

I want to believe their choosing Steele is progress, but why does this feel to me as gimmicky as McCain choosing a female running mate?

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3401
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I care less about color than moderate behavior.
I want the GOP to split away from the snake-handling populists and get some IQ's onboard.

Like Obama, the color issue is a bonus.
Let's hope it turns out better than the "1/2 hour News Hour" that Fox created to fight Jon Stewart.
"We have one too" can sometimes be a dismal failure.

The GOP does see the writing on the wall as far as demographics and the dwindling white majority in the USA. Luring brown people into the tent is about their only shot.

Oladub

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, I prefer to think of myself as more of a paleo libertarian constitutionalist than a liberal which allows for some liberal like social tolerance but small government fiscal conservatism. Michael Steele, though, seems to be, or at least has been, pumping for neocons. After Powell, Thomas, and Rice, there is little novelty in having a prominent Black Republican. Steele's election won't fool anyone into believing that the Republican leadership turned a philosophical corner.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6468
Posted on Friday, January 30, 2009 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Steele's election won't fool anyone into believing that the Republican leadership turned a philosophical corner.

I think "fool" is the key word there. Winning through deception has lost its effectiveness. People want genuine commitment. That's why they elected Obama.

At this point we need to build a moral ballance to the Democratic Party so they don't run off the rails. The Republicans failed in that role by abandoning their morality.

I think most of us feel the same. What's so difficult about merely being honest?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The two party system should be questioned.

That we have allowed Congress to institute it's own self-serving laissez-faire rule of law is embarrassing. Right side of the aisle? Left side? How about the American side?

President Obama's stimulus plan had ZERO "other party" votes? Disgusting for us all. Are they afraid they won't receive campaign funds from their party headquarters?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 846
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The neo-con, republicrats always seem able to find that one in a million, token, self hating, minority to run for VP or Chairperson to emphasize their diversity and push their agenda. Amazing how they do it. What's next, a neo-con, fundamentalist, anti-gay, christian, homo-sexual preacher? Oops, I forgot about Ted Haggard.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are they afraid they won't receive campaign funds from their party headquarters?

That, and judging from the no votes from those "Blue Dog" Democrats, they apparently fear reprisals by voters in their districts, when they campaign for reelection, as well as fielding complaints from their constituents.

Gnome

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"paleo libertarian constitutionalist"

You a Ron Paulite? plueeze

You and others are complaining about a guy you don't know, who is about to start a job you don't understand; and so your knee-jerk reaction is shallow and like 1kneilsondrive, based on race.

Narrow minded and bigoted is what that looks like to me.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3597
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 6:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"paleo libertarian constitutionalist"

Wow - thats a quote to throw around a cocktail party. (Take it outside, folks).

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting observation regarding the wearing of racial attacks as a badge of honor (refer to Mikeg post # 2148). "Because if you weren't a threat" and ""they wouldn't bother with you." etc... It is similar to "because they said I couldn't". A personal motivation (not mine), somewhat defensive in nature, based on external forces impeding progress.

Sometimes this leaves an incomplete or weak offensive foundation.

(Message edited by vetalalumni on January 31, 2009)

Oladub

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, I provided a sample to back up my statement. (Post # 1130)

Bigb23, I had just been labelled a narrow minded Liberal which is about as bad as, and sometimes indistinguishable from, being called a neocon. So far, Gnome the All Knowing, has suggested that I am a narrow-minded, Liberal, racist who defended Rev. Wright, with shallow knee jerk reactions.

Perhaps, but he did at least honor me by correctly calling me a Ron Paulite. At the 27'20" of this video, Ron Paul responds to an Obamaton by succinctly responding to differences. Otherwise, this C-span video is a delightful alternative to the economic ruination policies and quick fix shoveling of money to cronies solutions that we have seen with Bush/Obama. http://www.c-span.org/Watch/wa tch.aspx?MediaId=HP-A-14858

Gnome

Post Number: 2296
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since we were discussing Mike Steele, nice diversionary tactic.

I guess, if you think that black folk shouldn't be allowed to be Republicans, well, that's pretty Bull Connerish of you; but it still is a free counrty. Have fun flying those stars n bars.

Oladub

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome, Where did I say that "black folk shouldn't be allowed to be Republicans'? Bull Connorish? You are lucky I don't get to grade your reading comprehension. Please review my posts # 1130 and #1131 above. My points were that he had taken a neo-con position which I proved (see posts 1130 and 1131) and that putting Blacks in powerful positions has not, in public perception, changed the Republican Party's neocon stripes (see post 1131) My exact word were, "After Powell, Thomas, and Rice, there is little novelty in having a prominent Black Republican. Steele's election won't fool anyone into believing that the Republican leadership turned a philosophical corner." If you think that is racist, that says something about you just as seeming unable to respond to Michael Steele's remarks and position in the video.

The only thing I said that was not about Michael Steele was in response to your diversionary name calling.

Gnome

Post Number: 2299
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Colin Powell endorsed Obama. Or was that a different guy?

So, you're saying Neo-cons endorse Obama?

I don't think you proved anything in your above posts. You just pulled the CC trick of restating your position inorder to win.

How very neo-con of you

Oladub

Post Number: 1135
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You must be the only person on this board who thinks I am a both a 'neo-con' (gnome post 2299) and a 'liberal' (gnome post 2288). The more you go on, the more apparent your reading comprehension problems. Powell was not cited as a neocon in post #1131. However, Steele was cited as a neocon in both posts my # 1130 and #1131.
Anyone curious can visit those threads. I rest my case.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 18424
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First of all, no conservative should accept the liberal derogatory label of "neo-con" as legitimate, or dignify it as such by responding to its' use.

Look how racists the libs are on this one? Notice that conservatives are not making it a racist issue. Notice too that historically and politically, liberals have been the most racist group.