Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Words & Phrases to Eliminate » Archive through January 16, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3802
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"pencil out"

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2933
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, maybe it's only a trivial pet-peeve of mine, but could we, also, do away with "most definitely?"
Athletes adore that term. But then, most of them also think that a beautiful woman looks "amazing."

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6929
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PT1 The Three Stooges in Disorder in the Court

PT1 The Three Stooges in Disorder in the Court

PT2 The Three Stooges in Disorder in the Court

PT2 The Three Stooges in Disorder in the Court
quote:

Kindly speak English and drop the vernacular.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 283
Posted on Friday, November 28, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Shore up"

ex: "Shore up" the economy, "shore up" support, "shore" up partnerships, etc.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8278
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"quote unquote blah blah blah" ("quote blah blah blah blah unquote" is the correct way of doing it)

"if i might say"

"so-called"

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3808
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shore UP? I thought it was OFF-shore. :-)

I don't mind so-called, but I hate when people use quotes after it. Use the quotes or say so-called, but both is overkill.

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm already sick of "car czar" how about automobile autocrat.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1248
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good call with "car czar"; loved your suggestion of "autocrat" - will guarantee that the Daily Show will run with it.

Here's another one for the scrap heap: Referring to anything other than a human being, as "sexy".

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4931
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Must have" as in some piece of useless crap is the "must have" gift of the season.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6241
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In an old Andy Hardy movie someone said "hold the line" into a telephone.

I suppose that's already been eliminated because cell phones have no line to hold.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 355
Posted on Friday, December 26, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get your (insert word) on.

I'm not even sure what it means, but it's all over the place now.

Ravine

Post Number: 2937
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Crystal.
The worst use of that one occurs when a woman comes striding into a liquor store, hollering something about having to "get her drink on."
Not good. Not good at all.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3737
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be dissin' me.

Well, I could go into the whole Ebonics thing, but I might get some folks to call me a racist. Don't wanna do that.......hey, Happy Kwanza, or whatever.....:-)

Ravine

Post Number: 2938
Posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Ray, "dis" is now turning up in crossword puzzles, which is one of the hurdles jumped as a word grows from Slang to Accepted Usage, so it may hang around for a while.
However, history shows that once a slang word starts turning up all over popular culture, the folks who were first using it stop using it.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6247
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From today's Free Press: At the end of the day, put an end to these phrases.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 6016
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the folks who brought you "thinking outside the box", "grow the business", "offshoring" and "rightsizing"... there's "metrics". That word makes me want to hurl...

Besides business types, some "Afrocentric" authors use "metrics" and occasionally we have some posters here who like to "cut and paste" language from their favorite authors. So former controversial posters such as FIGEBORNU and MELLODRAMA frequently used "metrics" in their posting rants...

Some more... anything "Tuscan" or to do with "Tuscany"... (in the 1950's the buzzword was "Provencial" or anything to do with Provence).

And then there's "anti-oxidants"... "carbon footprint"... "low carb"... "babydaddy" or "babymomma"... anything using "my people" or "your people"... "whassup?"... "hey girlfriend!"...

And the ultimate.... "text messaging"... :-(

And then there's the foreign or foreign sounding words... Tapas (thanks Patrick!)... Asiago... Chapotle...

And then there's the worst "fingernails on the chalkboard" for me... "C.E." and "B.C.E". I'm not really religious, but we've been using the Anno Domini way of dating since the 8th Century when the Venerable Bede in Harro England set up the way of using dates that's been a tradition for 1,200 years now.

Who concocted CE and BCE anyway? No one has asked the Chinese or Jews to change their date/calendar vernacular (no 3 Stooges pun intended!), so I'll be damned that some history professor or cable TV director somewhere changes what has been traditional since the dark ages... It's almost as bad as Merry Xmas! :-(

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to throw a Parade for Myself.....

Posted on Friday, September 19, 2008 - 8:22 pm:

1. "vet, vetted, vetting": nobody EVER uttered that word until recently; now it is vomitously overused

2. "at the end of the day": I am sick of it...during the day!

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also from the Free Press write-up:

"It is, what it is".
It was a dumb-ass thing to say before Rush Limbaugh ran it into the ground; he uses that phrase at least ten times during his moronic daily broadcasts

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Transparency"

I want to SEE what's going on - not - see THROUGH it (like Wonder Woman's jet plane)!

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3021
Posted on Sunday, December 28, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"User aided, multi-directional, impact generator." NASA, (Government), speak for a $8000 contracted hammer, that could've been bought at Home Depot for $10.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9080
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"User aided, multi-directional, impact generator." NASA, (Government), speak for a $8000 contracted hammer, that could've been bought at Home Depot for $10.

Don't be silly. The hammer cost $10, the other $7990 went towards reverse engineering the UFO that crashed in Roswell.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3046
Posted on Tuesday, December 30, 2008 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had a working model and still couldn't get it right. Putzes.

Well at least we got the transistor out of the deal :-)

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 17920
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paging Mr. Gannon....JL 9080 has your name written all over it.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Sunday, January 04, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cc, this site has your name written all over it. Minus the hot chicks, of course.

Jimaz

Post Number: 6284
Posted on Monday, January 05, 2009 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSU on quixotic quest to revive little-used words

http://www.wordwarriors.wayne. edu/
http://www.lssu.edu/banished/

Jimaz

Post Number: 6350
Posted on Wednesday, January 14, 2009 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Powered by ..."

Okay, it was clever at first but now everything's "powered by" something else so it's no longer impressive.

Pam

Post Number: 4861
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overuse of the word "miracle". For example, in the coverage of the plane crash yesterday. The people survived because they had a good pilot, there was no fire and the plane did not break apart. It is not a miracle unless there is no other explanation besides divine intervention.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam...you are correct, the outcome of yesterday's plane crash was not a miracle - it was a FREAKING MIRACLE!

(Message edited by chuckjav on January 16, 2009)

Pam

Post Number: 4863
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I think the credit goes to the pilot.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 90116/ap_on_re_us/plane_in_riv er_pilot

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9186
Posted on Friday, January 16, 2009 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Faux2 news was at Metro after the incident interviewing people about the plane crash for some reason. What jackasses. "Hey you, about to get on a plane, did you hear about that plane crash, what do you think?" Ummm, that sucks? Please go away?