Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Food again. Let's not lose it this time! » Archive through January 28, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5894
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember a recipe from a book that was published in the early 70's; it claimed that White Castle burgers were partially made from baby food veal.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3364
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 5:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love sliders, but the closest one to me is at 16 and John R. (About 20 miles away). If I can cheat the "System" I would be happy.
When I lived in Long Beach, Cal. My roommates girlfriend, still going to college at U of Illinois, would send love letters on opened White Castle boxes. He would smell the onions like a perfume. And I'm a little disappointed at the quality and price of the frozen store bought crap.

When I get the chance, I will stand by myself, in an empty White Castle outlet, and wait 20 minutes for a bag a burgers. White Tower where are you ?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4874
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why I read this thread. I'm a vegetarian with a sensitive stomach so I can't eat 90% of this stuff anyway. So, here is my contribution:

http://www.associatedcontent.c om/article/155711/homemade_tre atments_for_indigestion.html?c at=5

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3001
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Pam, the sensitive stomach is one more thing we have in common.
I'm not a vegetarian, but I very rarely eat beef. If I could truly & fully digest it in less than four days, I might eat it more often. Fortunately, I don't like it very much, to begin with.
Those microwavable bags of vegetables make for a pretty easy snack at work.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2861
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Pam and other vegetarians that will eat cheese:

We had the most awesome mac and cheese tonight. I found this on the net. I didn't have all the right kind of cheese so I substituted what I had. It takes a LOT of cheese.

Full Moon Mac and Cheese

6 slices French baguette
1 stick unsalted butter, divided
5 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
4 1/2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese (18 ounces)
2 cups grated Gruyere (8 ounces)
1 1/4 cups grated Pecorino Romano (5 ounces)
[I had 8 ounces sharp cheddar, 8 ounces cojack and 8 ounces of mozzarella plus the Romano - this turned out fine, very tasty]
1 pound elbow or shell pasta [I used bowties]

Step 1
Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3 1/2-quart casserole dish [11x 14 inch pan]. Make bread crumbs from the baguette in a food processor or blender. Mix the crumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter and set aside.

Step 2
Warm the milk over medium heat. In a separate pan, melt the remaining butter until bubbly. Whisk in the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Then, still whisking, add the warm milk a bit at a time. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Remove it from the heat. Stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne, and cheeses. Set aside.

Step 3
Cook the pasta until slightly underdone, then rinse it under cold water. Combine it with the cheese sauce and pour it into the buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle with the buttered bread crumbs and bake for about 30 minutes, until the mixture bubbles and the crumbs are brown. Let the dish set for 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6 to 8.

We had brussels sprouts with ours, need some green to balance all that comfort food.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7554
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oooh, I like that cayenne idea in mac&cheese, I'll be giving this one a try very soon. {but, I'll probably leave the nutmeg out)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2862
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put it in, and the mix was very tasty. The nutmeg didn't stand out at all. This makes a huge potful of sauce. It should serve at least eight people as a main dish.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4864
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

For Pam and other vegetarians that will eat cheese:

Nope, too cheesy, too heavy for me. Sorry. Carry on with your normal recipies.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3359
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is where I lose it on cooking shows, when the only way to do it is with, Béchamel – A classic white sauce made with whole milk thickened with a white roux, and flavored with aromatic vegetables, and imported cheese. This seven step process makes great Mac n' Cheese, but messes up the old kitchen, so to speak. Gaz- thanks for any shortcuts and grocer availability.
I watch "Test Kitchen" on PBS religiously, what a great show.

Jams

Post Number: 7555
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Played at work today with potato pancakes for one of my co-workers, I added some chopped spinach and tomato to the mix. She loved them and I, humbly, thought they were quite good, as well.

Working out some details, but hopefully soon to be on the menu.

Kathinozarks, thanks again for that Reuben Dip, definitely will be added to the new menu, especially for party groups. It's a great way to use the endcuts of our corned beef and the ends of the loaves of our Avalon Rye Bread.

Mom is sharing her Hudson's recipes with me, the Cheddar Cheese Soup was warmly received by our customers, my next experiment will be the Hudson's Rueben Soup.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2863
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yum. I never had Reuben Soup, it sounds yummy.

BigB, white sauce is EASY. You just have to whisk a lot. I never have lumps in mine. Add the milk gradually, and by the way, it does not have to be warmed. Only one pan, as long as you use a BIG pan for this recipe, three quarts or so. You do have to have another pan for the pasta to precook and of course the baking pan. I put the bread in a small bowl, crumbed it up with the stick blender, threw the butter on top and stuck it in the microwave for a minute to melt the butter. Only one bowl there.

(Message edited by gazhekwe on January 18, 2009)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3360
Posted on Sunday, January 18, 2009 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please post all promised recipes - Jams. Cheddar Cheese soup sounds like a enhancer. I had a girlfriend that would make potato pancakes for me at my house. I miss those, but would not put up with labor that is involved.

"Kick out the Jams" by MC5 now on "I shot Andy Warhol" on 4.2 WDIV.

"Alice's Restaurant follows"

Jams

Post Number: 7567
Posted on Wednesday, January 21, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What labor?

Peel potatoes, grate.
Chop onion, add.
Add flour and salt.
Beat egg, add and mix.

A bit of oil, butter, what have you and saute til done.

Basically that's it, and like scrambled eggs, additions are to your personal taste.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 5548
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, do you cook the potatoes first, or use them raw?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3447
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a trick to it, Jcole. I'm Irish/Indian, and we always had a problem with potato's.
That woman was a saint with me as far as potato pancakes. ( I did the clean up).

What labor? (Get up early Sunday morning, forget the fun, and work in the kitchen ?)

Peel potatoes, grate.
Chop onion, add.
Add flour and salt.
Beat egg, add and mix.

Cripes that adds up. :-)

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2870
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my experience, there are never enough potatoes if there are a lot of Indians at the table. I was at a banquet once and they actually RAN OUT OF POTATOES! before half the people had been served. And it was an Indian banquet. I didn't get any potatoes, so sad.

Jams

Post Number: 7571
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use them raw, I tried using frozen hashbrowns. They work but take a very long time to cook.

Make sure you squeeze as much liquid out of the grated raw potato as you can.

And I'm really ticked, I can't find my Alice's Restaurant cd.

Jams

Post Number: 7572
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A classic white sauce made with whole milk thickened with a white roux, and flavored with aromatic vegetables

A great tip I received from Karen at Checker Bar} Watch for the 10 for $10 sales at Kroger for that mixture in the frozen foods. Keep them in the freezer and pull them out when you need them.

Jams

Post Number: 7573
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thinking about that leftover liquid from the potatoes, and since I hate wasting anything, I did a search and came up with:
quote:

Potato Vodka Making Process
First you need to peel the potatoes, you will need around 1kg of potatoes for a litre of vodka.

Next thing is to chop the potatoes into small pieces, around 1cm cubes should be fine.

Next you will need to use a pressure cooker and put all of the potato cubes in the pot with quite a lot of water, more than enough to cover the potatoes.

Please be careful as pressure cookers are very dangerous if you dont know how to use them then ask someone who does.

Now once the potato is disolved into the water let it cool down and strain the potato leaving loads of potato juice which will become your potato vodka.

The next part is to distill the potato juice and get single distilled vodka. Really you need a distillery but if this is home made then you will need to make a distillery.

Not that difficult really, the basic idea is to heat the juice and capture the steam and collect it which forms your potato vodka.

So you just need to find a big pot, with a lid that connects to a pipe and a container that can collect the vodka.

Once that is complete, you can distill it a few more times using the same process and you will end up with the best and cheapest fall over juice imaginable. But I hold no responsibility for what you do with it. Remeber to drink responsibly.

http://www.squidoo.com/How-To- Make-Potato-Vodka

Hmmmmm, new experiment? :-)

quote:

Remeber

It seems to be a successful experiment. :-)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3475
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still here, please post.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2878
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swiss Steak tonight, after Plum Hollow had a sale on cube steak. Here's my recipe:

For three or four people:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

3 cube steaks, dredged in a mixture of 1/2 c flour, maybe 1/2 tsp each salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder. Brown these in hot bacon fat (or other lipid, if you must). Remove to baking dish.

1 green pepper and 1 smallish onion, cut into rings. Saute lightly in the remaining fat, then put them over the cube steaks in the baking pan.

Put maybe tablespoon or so of the remaining flour mixture into the pan and stir it up til it's hot. Now pour in one can of Hunt's meatloaf sauce and a half can of dry wine, white or red doesn't matter. Stir it all up til it's hot and pour it over the meat and veggies. Now cover the pan with foil and put it in the oven at 300 for two hours.

If you don't have the meatloaf sauce, no problem, just use regular tomato sauce, or even a can of chopped or crushed tomatoes. Add a little more paprika if you do that, and maybe a dash of Worcestershire Sauce.

Serve this with mashed potatoes, noodles or rice.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make a lot of quiches. One day I did't have milk or cream so I a tried a variation. This is so easy and very good. Cheap too.

One store bought or homemade pie crust

one box frozen creamed spinach defrosted

mince and sautee onions 2 tablespoons

Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Bake at 350 about 1/2 hour

If the crust is deep dish use 2 boxes of creamed spinach. I may have posted this before but I don't think so. Too much late night posting I guess.

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2879
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mmm, sounds good. No eggs, though?

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 616
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No eggs, in this version. I checked the creamed spinach box I have in the freezer for its ingredients. Primary ingredients are spinach, 1/2 & 1/2, milk, onions and other preservatives.

Another fun trick with traditional Quiche is if you want a quiche quick and don't have a pie crust available just take 4 tablespoons of flour and add to the egg cream mix. Spray pie tin with pam or lightly oil it. Add other ingredients that you like. Bake like usual. It's kinda like a homemade jiffy mix but actually much better.

It also works for non vegan vegetarians since pie crusts have lard or shortening in them.

Here's a good recipe for diabetics or dieters.

spray pie tin with Pam or equivilent. One cup 2%milk, 4 eggs, 2 tablespoons chopped onion, 8 ounces swiss cheese, frozen defrosted minced spinach, 4 tablespoons dehydrated bacon bits (fake or real)and 4 tablespoons flour

spray pie pan. Scatter bacon bits, onions, chunked swiss cheese and spinach in pan. In a separate bowl mix eggs, milk and flour Add salt to taste and white pepper

pour in pie tin and bake 375 about 1/2 or until custard is firm.

On an exchange diet 1/4 pie is one serving. This counts as one slice bread, 1 egg, 1/4 cup milk and 2 ounces cheese. The rest of the items are more or less freebies.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3520
Posted on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) :-) :-) Tonight, I had a hankerin' for cake, but all I had was a couple of tablespoons of leftover chocolate frosting in the back of the fridge,
and a small box of Jiffy cake mix in the back of the pantry. I didn't want to fire up the gas oven for that, so I improvised, And it turned out great !

Perfect for one - three.

1 Yellow "Jiffy" cake mix, (my cost - 45 cents).

1 egg

1 heaping Tbl. of sugar free Blackberry preserves.

1/2 cup cold water minus Tbl. or two.

Spray three regular sized coffee mugs with Pam spray.

Mix ingredients well, and fill mugs halfway up. Cook three mugs in the microwave, (on high), for approx. 5 minutes. Test with toothpick.
While they are cooling, melt frosting in microwave. Then drizzle over top and edges of cake in the mug.

Eat warm. This was so easy, I'm stocking up on "Jiffy" mix, and doing it this way for now on.

And a real easy cleanup. :-) :-) :-)

Bigb23

Post Number: 3540
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump - Ladies ?

Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2895
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mug cakes sound good. Very creative of you, too.

We like BIG cakes here so I will stick with the usual sheet cakes, so husband can have two pieces of cake for dessert. If you make them in a 13x15 cookie sheet, they don't take long to bake. Luckily, they seem to keep fine for the week it takes to eat one.

Try this one:

Pumpkin Coffee Cake]
1 package yellow cake mix
1 can (1 pound) pumpkin
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl combine dry cake mix, pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, eggs, nuts, and pumpkin pie spice. Blend at low speed until completely moistened, about 1 minute. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Spread batter in a greased and floured 13" x 9" x 2" pan. In a medium bowl combine the sugar, flour, softened butter, and cinnamon with a fork or pastry blender. (Mixture will be crumbly.) Sprinkle evenly over batter. Bake at 350° F for 40-45 minutes, until center springs back when touched lightly.

In a 13 x 15" pan, check it after 25 minutes, and you might want to increase the topping a by a quarter or half.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3543
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaz - I scrubbed cake pans in the Navy for three months. It cured me for a lifetime.

I guess my recipe is great for two or less. In fact I will nuke #3 right now. :-)

Lnfant
Username: Lnfant

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, January 28, 2009 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi :-) so nice to see this thread still alive! my enthusiasm is prolly stemming from having been traveling for a couple months and having not checked in all that while.

the next chocolate decadence will be chocolate zabaglione for business colleagues on feb 12th, the office valentine's day. i had lost the golden recipe for it, made an inferior alternative version, then found the golden recipe safely tucked in a cookbook. yay! if anyone's interested in the recipe, i could post it.