Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Just a place to rant....or ..rave.......... » Archive through January 31, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3221
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant -

I received this "Sound Financial Advice" in an e-mail:

If you had purchased $1,000 of Delta Air Lines stock one year ago, you would have $49 left.

With Fannie Mae, you would have $2.50 left of the original $1,000.

With AIG, you would have less than $15 left.

But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drunk all of the beer, then turned in the cans for the aluminum recycling REFUND, you would have $214 cash.

Based on the above, the best current investment advice is to drink heavily and recycle.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 18066
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or maybe to diversify, and not buy single stocks/play the market, and invest long term?

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 624
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Invest long term? What's the expiration date for beer in a can?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Monday, January 12, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A wet blanket like ccbatson doesn't have time for all of your malarkey.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3260
Posted on Thursday, January 15, 2009 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant - The cold ruined my tire bead, and I had it replaced at a local shop. All they had, was a Korean "Hankook" tire. Is anybody working in Akron anymore ?

Shit, more money overseas.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3355
Posted on Saturday, January 17, 2009 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Django - http://mithuro.com/presscuefil es/january/beer_goggle.swf

Bigb23

Post Number: 3438
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny repost -

Rant - A Cell Phone in Every Hand...EVERY Single Hand...
Date: 2009-01-09, 1:46AM EST

Work has SUCKED this week so I decided to go into the office early this morning to catch up on some stuff. As I'm getting on the interstate at about 5:58 am, I notice that many of the drivers in the lane next to me are speaking on their cell phones. As I'm actually merging onto the entrance ramp, I notice that the driver of the car directly in front of me AND the driver of the car directly behind me are both on THEIR phones.

Now I could go on and on about how dangerous this is and how drivers who are distracted by their cell phones drive like idiots, but the fundamental question that hit me in the "Jesus Christ it's not even light outside yet" predawn hours of the early morning was simply, "WHO the FUCK are these people even TALKING to at THIS Hour?"

I mean, really.

Even if I wanted to distract myself from the 2 ton piece of metal I was driving at 70 miles an hour so that I could hold an electronic piece of crap up to my ear to socialize, I don't even know who I'd call at 6:00 in the morning - because everyone I know is FUCKING ASLEEP !!!! But apparently, based on my observations today, it's ME who is the exception to the rule - everyone else is jib jabbering away to someone!!!

And you KNOW these are not the "head surgeon talking the nervous young resident through the surgery while rushing to the hospital in morning traffic" type of calls but instead the inane bullshit "how are you doing?...oh that's niiiice...what are you up to?...You're driving to work?...Hey, I'M drivin' to work tooooo..." type of calls.

I was so pissed off, I almost dropped my cordless electric razor into my travel mug and splashed hot coffee on my lap and magazine.

But in all seriousness, are people today so in need of constant mental or social stimulation that they can't just enjoy the calm and solitude of being alone with just themselves and their thoughts for 20 freakin' minutes without feeling the need to get on the phone?

People, take my advice...enjoy the silence, meditate, think about the day and the tasks ahead of you, hell even listen to the radio if you need to hear another human voice but please, please, for the love of whatever deity you pray to, PUT THE FUCKING PHONE DOWN!

And now, what they all warned me would happen has finally happened - I've officially become my Dad...

http://www.craigslist.org/abou t/best/col/985885244.html

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1341
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I have a cell phone rant today, too. In Borders today, this woman was talking (loudly) into her cell phone. She was speaking a foreign language so rapidly, it sounded as if someone were rewinding a tape recorder. I don't know the language, but the language combined with the fact she was on a cell phone and speaking loudly almost made me want to scream. Luckily, I shot her one of my *looks of death* and she lowered her voice, then ended the call.

Sometimes it pays to look old and mean.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3444
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My rant is the gas station clerk who does not even pay attention to you while on a bluetooth conversation. One of these days, (against my better judgment), they will LOSE money.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1844
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just posted here and it didn't show up. What the heck? I guess that's a rant, isn't it. I am not going to re-post. I just wanted to agree with the cell phone rant and the coffee carafe rant. Thank you, that is all.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3448
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathinozarks - we await in earnest anticipation. :-)

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 3008
Posted on Friday, January 23, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Related rant: If you call my cell phone, and instead of seeing your number identified, I see "Restricted," you will not be talking to me. No explanation or excuse is acceptable. If you are thinking that I may not pick up if I see it is you, then it is apparent that you believe I may not wish to hear from you, which means you should not be calling me. This rude, bullshit move is exactly like knocking on someone's door and expecting them to open the door even though you, ignorant horse's ass that you are, are hiding behind the shrubbery.
A male co-worker, who I consider to be a close enough friend that I gave him my phone number, has pulled this stunt twice. (Of course, I didn't pick up; I know it was him because he left voice-mails.) Time #2 was today. I let it go, the first time; now, I intend to *ahem* inquire about it.
I could understand it if the caller was my mistress and she was worried that my wife might take a peek at my ringing phone, but I don't have a goddam mistress, and if I did, I'd keep my goddam phone out of harm's way.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1860
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps your co-worker has his cell phone set to not send his number for any call because he doesnt want people getting his number?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3455
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Perhaps your co-worker has his cell phone set to not send his number for any call because he doesn't want people getting his number?

That's me, a cell phone is for when no other option is available.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3478
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Ravine

Post Number: 3011
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that game-plan, but this guy gave me his phone number.
Still, it would be Just Like Him to have his cellphone set to automatically do that.
Hey, Bigb, why did you issue the "bump?" Just curious.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 588
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I have had this happen to me before where a close friend has called my cell, left a message, I listen to the message and get the response "to return this call press 1" so I do and come up on said friends caller ID as "restricted". Totally ridiculous that my name doesn't appear and totally unintentional on my part, why this happens? I don't know!

Ravine

Post Number: 3015
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Qweek, you know too much about matters of the meteorological kind, so the satellites are scared of you and are trying to erase your Qweekdentity by such nefarious means.

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 589
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2009 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never thought of that devious plot Ravine, you could be on to something! Maybe the Gaidica Gang has found my Kryptonite and they're trying to destroy me. More than likely it's my shit Sprint phone that I hate and wish it didn't cost so much to tell them that I'm dissatisfied and want the hell out of my two f'n year relationship with them. F Sprint, RAVE!

Bigb23

Post Number: 3482
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hey, Bigb, why did you issue the "bump?" Just curious.

The movie "The Brave One" surfaced.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3598
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 am, and I was just informed it was 59 degrees in Denver, Col. WTF ?

I'm sick of the snow and cold, right now. The one reprieve I get is from the "critter" prints on the the fresh snow every morning.

With a an FFS identifier, I have seen Woodchuck, Dog/Coyote, fox, rabbit, cat, and one for the Cryptid thread.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5912
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove through a Detroit neighborhood yesterday while it was snowing and the sun was shining. The fresh snow and the light and the shadow was really really beautiful.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3601
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rant - I drove through the snowstorm yesterday too, 50 miles round trip, for a doctors appointment at 1 pm, and waited with ten other patients with the same appointment time. At 2 pm, three patients walked out, and he was still in surgery at a hospital. And then they asked me to wait until 3 pm. I made this appointment 4 months ago, and I thought I could see the doctor more than the "usual" three minutes. To wait, and have my "doctor" look at me for 1 1/2 minutes to catch up, was a bit much. And they charge $100 + for an office visit !

I'm tired of the assembly line medical care. (Except a real assembly line is more efficient).

Treat thyself.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5914
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Single Payer Health Care NOW!

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18425
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BigB...better lodge a formal complaint against Al Gore on this one. Apparently his campaign to reverse manmade global warming is working to well for your taste.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3609
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input, Cc. Where have you been ?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18427
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

??Work, family, exercising, all local, nowhere special.

Bigb23

Post Number: 3615
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do I get this on every other click on my mouse ?

Network Timeout

The server at atdetroit.net is taking too long to respond.

The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.

* Could the server be experiencing high demand or a temporary outage? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
* Still having trouble? Consult your network administrator or Internet provider for assistance.

I had 2.8 kbps several times. I love the backwater United States. Woot, # 13 in the world.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 18446
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial up?

Bigb23

Post Number: 3616
Posted on Saturday, January 31, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang up.