Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Left handed, living in a right man's world. » Archive through February 13, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1336
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am left handed.

The left handed presidents thread got me thinking about how almost everything is designed for right handed people.

What things can you think of - i.e. the number pad on your keyboard being on the right instead of the left, or a clock turning to the right intead of the left.

What else can you think of?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1912
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The content frame of this forum being on the right, instead of the left.

Its handed-ist, at its worst.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 562
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least you lefties have your left-handed cigarettes. :-)

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hah! NOTHING is made for lefties!

I'm a proud lefty and at least once a day I find something that is difficult for me to use. Just off the top of my head:

-pens with ink that stays wet so as you write, you drag your hand it in (you can always tell a lefty because the left side of their left hand pretty much always has ink/graphite stains)
-scissors
-any bound-on-the-left pad or notebook
-can openers
-some knives... tables are always set backwards!
-corkscrews
-can openers
-video games - especially the new Nintendo Wii. while most games have a left handed setting, it takes forever to change and really isn't worth it if you're playing a two player game with someone.
-rulers and measuring tapes
-playing cards have the number and suit in the wrong corner.
-those nerf balls that are made to spiral and whistle, the whistles are on an angle so that they have to be thrown with the right hand to work. same thing with boomerangs, they only work with your right hand.
-classroom desks - this is the worst! there is usually only one lefty desk (if any) in all of my classes and I try to get there early to snatch it but it's almost always in the back corner and someone's usually already sitting there.

all little things, I know. and it never really bugs me because my whole life everything has been built for right-handeds. I can do most things both handed just because I've been taught everything right handed. people just don't realize how much stuff and how often lefties have to adjust to this crazy right handed world!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The automobile ignition key cylinder is always located to the right side of the steering column. Next time you get in your car, you right-handers ought to try taking your key ring in your left hand, finding the ignition key, inserting it into an imaginary key cylinder and then turning it counter clockwise. Makes you feel kind of clumsy, doesn't it?

Then there are the checkouts in the grocery stores where the credit card swipe and its pen are usually oriented to favor the right-hander, not to mention the little shelf for signing the credit card receipt.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9366
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

-video games - especially the new Nintendo Wii. while most games have a left handed setting, it takes forever to change and really isn't worth it if you're playing a two player game with someone.
-rulers and measuring tapes

If you create your Mii and set him as left handed, he will be left handed in most every game you play.

The Wii is the only system I can think of (since the Intellivision anyway) that has a perfectly symmetrical controller, so I would think it is the least of the offenders.

(Message edited by johnlodge on February 09, 2009)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

-classroom desks - this is the worst! there is usually only one lefty desk (if any) in all of my classes and I try to get there early to snatch it but it's almost always in the back corner and someone's usually already sitting there

quote:

Then there are the checkouts in the grocery stores where the credit card swipe and its pen are usually oriented to favor the right-hander, not to mention the little shelf for signing the credit card receipt.

So True.

Computer mice as well.

At least the toll booths are usually left handed.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1908
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have the best of both worlds. Write with my left, but most other things I do with my right.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3880
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bolt operated rifles open on the right. Lever action and pump action eject on the right.

But leftys sure usually make the best pitchers! And 95% of first-basemen are left handed.

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 563
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Computer mice as well.

You can edit your mouse settings to suit a left-handed user.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are websites that sell all kinds of products that are designed for lefties. I've purchased many items for my son.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4303
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a brother who was left-handed & we were cognizant of how we sat at the dinner table so we didn't bump elbows.
He once owned a Plymouth Sapporo('78 I think) & reflecting back, I swear that thing was oriented for lefties to work on. I figured it was due to it being built in Japan.

Quote:
But leftys sure usually make the best pitchers!

Ray, my dad tried in the worst way to get him interested in baseball figuring he could turn him into a pitcher, but no dice; he wanted to play football instead. It must've drove our dad nuts because my oldest brother was a very good pitcher but didn't pursue it after HS. I'll bet my dad had visions of them being in the Majors. Oh well, the best laid plans often go awry.

As a Simpsons fan, I'm really surprised there isn't a "Leftorium" chain of stores. That would solve a lot of what Ruxy listed.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 542
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do everything left-handed, but I honestly don't find most things in the above list too onerous. With bound notebooks, if nothing else, you can just rotate it 180 degrees and start from the 'back.'

MikeG, the Porsche 911 has the ignition on the elft of the column. :-) Or it did, anyway, not sure about the water-cooled cars.

Clocks turning to the right?? Come on, that had to be tongue-in-cheek, no?

O.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1337
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cameras and camcorders - right handed

The open button and the locks on filing cabinet drawers - right handed

Microwaves - right handed

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6534
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Italian switchblades

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9368
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Placement of the toilet paper roll in most restrooms.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 152
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been able to pretty much adapt to this right handed world except for one thing. Guitar thumb picks. I can use the steel ones and bend them up to work half assedly. Wish i could use a plastic one. I wish Ned Flanders would open up one of his stores near me.

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lefty's have a slight advantage in bowling, I think. They get the groove all to themselves.

And in boxing, we are kinda sneaky. :-)

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2968
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Left handed compliments - cant forget those.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 18604
Posted on Monday, February 09, 2009 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Character building....lefties must learn to function despite obstacles.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 468
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it does build character having your knuckles whacked with a ruler in elementary school as the ignorant "educated" educators tried to impose their will on an essentially unchangeable attribute. Reminds me of something else....

My beloved father used to let me use his flat contractor pencils and of course I would smudge my papers writing as a lefty. Bless those conscientious, considerate and concerned authority figures who would send me home humiliated and ashamed of something so natural. And, bless my mother for being such an advocate for her child, and for being a Dr. Spock enthusiast before it was really popular. My parents stood up to these ignoramuses in authority, and inspired me with their courage and moral superiority. They encouraged me to write properly, instead of in the overhand manner that avoided smears at all costs. I believed in myself solely because of them in my early years.

It's so easy for the more insensitive types among us to dismiss utter brutality as "character building" when they did not suffer through the dark ages. ("MANTRA: "Reduce and compartmentalize")

One small benefit is that we tend to get to sit at the head of the table when everyone remembers the food dumped into laps in previous episodes!

Lefthandedness can actually give one an edge in some of life's pursuits but that was not even considered 50 years ago. I suppose the race evolves, albeit at a slow snail's pace.

(Message edited by classicyesfan on February 10, 2009)

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 18629
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oppression is not what I meant by character building, rather the process of overcoming the challenges that go along with being left handed.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 778
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything (steno-type pads, pocket notebooks) that is bound on the top. If you write with your hand curled over the top of the page, they're impossible to use.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 479
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Character building....lefties must learn to function despite obstacles."

Yeah, you lefties, pull yourselves up by your own bootstraps and expect no "entitlements" from the righties. Every man for himself and the strongest one survives. The Uncivilization replaced the Great Society!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6552
Posted on Tuesday, February 10, 2009 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Women and children last into the lifeboats is what those cowards want.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 692
Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started out left handed but the school forced me to use my right hand or suffer consequences.

I truly believe that this created my speech impediment. I took speech classes for several years. To this day if I get nervous I lose those years of classes and revert.

Lpg
Username: Lpg

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, February 12, 2009 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a lefty, I started to get the same "re-education" to be a right hander in elementary school in the mid 50's. When my mother found out about it, she put a stop to it. Her brother is a lefty, so she knew there was nothing "wrong" with it.
Also had to put up with the one left-handed desk in each classroom (sometimes). Learned to balance the book on my leg, so I could write.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 1888
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a proud lefty.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 489
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aw, come on now, Sumas, Lpg, and all the older lefties, CC says we were just having "character building". We were being taught how to overcome obstacles, such as oppressive, persecuting righties. At least we didn't receive any of those "entitlements" such as compassion, equal treatment and encouragement from the prevailing authority figures.

Aiw, we should be proud lefties. I believe the studies that claim that there is a higher percentage of exceptionally talented, intelligent, or gifted people among the lefties than the righties. There are too many testaments to even begin to cite them in this venue. Perhaps the obstacles may have required us to develop more than life requires of the righties. I am equally highly adept at keeping a 100 Terabyte global data warehouse functioning at peak capacity as I am at oil painting, or even the common man's hobby of bowling. And, I can easily identify the conductor if you play a short sample of 15 different versions of Sibelius Symphony 2. So, I think I have a right to be proud.

(Message edited by classicyesfan on February 13, 2009)