Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » White House To Get A Urban Garden? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend sent this to me;

...Hot on the heels of that news is the hope that the much dreamed of White House Farm could be here sooner than we thought.

...by this summer there will be a garden – another garden, a vegetable garden – on the White House lawn...I believe the Obamas are committed to that. It’s a big idea, and its gonna happen. During the campaign, going around shaking peoples’ hands, he never got sick once. He was eating well, and it could have to do with having an organic chef with him. This is someone who 'gets' nutrition.

Link: http://www.treehugger.com/file s/2009/02/white-house-farm-com ing-soon.php

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19044
Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2009 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ANd for those that are as healthy, or more so, that don't eat "organic"? What is their secret? Maybe there is no secret at all.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 579
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Profound medical advice, cc. "There is no secret." Really? Just cast our fates to the wind and hope for best?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2002
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes you think Ccbatson is giving medical advice?

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 3372
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite quotes: "Some day, people are going to feel dumb lying in a hospital, dying of nothing"

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 582
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East_Detroit,

Easy. CC claims to be a doctor and he routinely claims that organics are a hoax. Hence, "medical advice" is being offered. If he was not a doctor, it would be "advice". Get it?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19091
Posted on Saturday, February 28, 2009 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct, this is not medical advice. It is rationally based skepticism.

East_detroit

Post Number: 2003
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ccbatson claims to be a medical doctor? Heh.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7821
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It is rationally based skepticism."...with a pre-determined conclusion.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19109
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Logic does lead to inevitable conclusions that were there prior to the scrutiny of logic being applied. A basic concept defined to most people in high school.

East_detroit

Post Number: 2005
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

Conclusions by their nature and definition can not exist before analysis or at the very least someone formulating one without much analysis at all (hence the term "jumping to conclusions")

A conclusion does not pre-exist.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1324
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am right and I know I'm right. My rightness is even sometimes considered innate. And I have no compulsion to prove my rightness to others. In fact, I may often not even want my rightness fully comprehended by these others. The good (righteous) versus evil paradigm.

HOWEVER, I want to impose my rightness upon those same others. Swaggered in a pittance of benevolence, I'm spiked with righteous indignation upon any rousing among the ungrateful uninitiated.

In a nutshell and by definition, this type of rightness is a theoretical conclusion.

Jams

Post Number: 7824
Posted on Sunday, March 01, 2009 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did you find a copy of the Official, but unpublished, Glossary of Batsonia?

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Logic does lead to inevitable conclusions that were there prior to the scrutiny of logic being applied.

Sloppy, cheap and becoming boring.

Logic is man made, is not magic or infallible, and is functionally attenuated by the operator. Two independent operators logically organizing static facts will come to varying conclusions.

Inevitability requires determinism which has not been provided in this thread.

Use of the word prior fails at attempting to convince anyone of a foregone conclusion.

Present and past tense are being manipulated unsuccessfully for affect.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19273
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sloppy? Maybe. Cheap? Perhaps.

100 percent correct? You betcha.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 854
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think it would be hard to keep a small organic garden. If you have a large farm, you can implement things like one bug to eat another bug. I don't know how well it would work in a garden. It could be embarassing if the White House garden gets eaten up by cabbage worms and the like. I once had a couple of tomato worms that were as big around as my finger. I was working fulltime and missed them.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19295
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a hobby? go for it, just don't try and be a role model and guilt the industrial world for producing food properly as is their expertise.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1314
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Organic grown is the proper way to produce food. Pesticides are not natural.

Furthermore, the antibiotics and growth hormones that are put into our meat and dairy are not healthy for our consumtion.

Jams

Post Number: 7861
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

go for it, just don't try and be a role model and guilt the industrial world for producing food properly as is their expertise.

quote:

Peanut Product Recall Grows in Salmonella Scare
Published: January 28, 2009
WASHINGTON — One of the largest food contamination scares in the nation’s history grew far larger on Wednesday as a Georgia peanut plant that federal regulators said knowingly shipped contaminated food recalled even more products.

Already, more than 400 consumer products, including Jenny Craig nutritional bars and Keebler Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers, have been recalled after eight people died and more than 500 people in 43 states, half of them children, were sickened by salmonella poisoning.

On Wednesday, the Peanut Corporation of America, whose plant in Blakely, Ga., is the source of the contamination, expanded its recall from all products made since July to all those made since Jan. 1, 2007. The company supplied some of the largest food makers in the nation.

“We don’t have a good idea of how much of that product is still out there,” said Dr. Stephen F. Sundlof, director of the Food and Drug Administration’s food center.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01 /29/us/29peanut.html

Only a small percentage of the population died, that only matters to the families,not the general populace according to Cc.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19325
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it were a government operation, it would have been more than a few cases of diarhea, and the story would have been suppressed. In a free market, these things are truly mistakes that get rapidly corrected, otherwise the producer goes out of business as a competitor rapidly steps in with untainted products.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4578
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find the concept of gardens a great way to bring the community together and feed a few folks along the way. We have so much to learn and if we don't start learning how to plant a few veggies again we may be in a sad scenario if our economy continues to tank...( we can call them Bush Gardens)....

but seriously...imagine fields of fresh veggies for the poor...we should be planning now for the spring...I am working with my University to start one...

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Potato Patches worked for Hazen Pingree, why not try it now?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19332
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few at most.

Gibran

Post Number: 4579
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

feeding one hungry person would be considered a win in my book..teaching a small group of people to work together to do so is even more important.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19335
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that display costs 5 times what it would in resources to feed that person?

Gibran

Post Number: 4588
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

teach a person to garden and they will learn to feed themselves...teach a community to garden and they will feed many..

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19379
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We call them farmers, and they already know (very very well) how to produce food.

Gibran

Post Number: 4597
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ummm...very deep ..."well" there is an actual difference in urban gardening and rural corporate farms..or is that what some are afraid of losing those large corporate farms...

Jams

Post Number: 7874
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean like what may be happening here?
quote:

Dr. Tom Anderson's daughter, Lily, and, wife, Cindi, in Camden, Indiana. Dr. Anderson treated an epidemic of MRSA infections before he died.

The late Tom Anderson, the family doctor in this little farm town in northwestern Indiana, at first was puzzled, then frightened.

He began seeing strange rashes on his patients, starting more than a year ago. They began as innocuous bumps — “pimples from hell,” he called them — and quickly became lesions as big as saucers, fiery red and agonizing to touch.

They could be anywhere, but were most common on the face, armpits, knees and buttocks. Dr. Anderson took cultures and sent them off to a lab, which reported that they were MRSA, or staph infections that are resistant to antibiotics.

MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) sometimes arouses terrifying headlines as a “superbug” or “flesh-eating bacteria.” The best-known strain is found in hospitals, where it has been seen regularly since the 1990s, but more recently different strains also have been passed among high school and college athletes. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that by 2005, MRSA was killing more than 18,000 Americans a year, more than AIDS.

Dr. Anderson at first couldn’t figure out why he was seeing patient after patient with MRSA in a small Indiana town. And then he began to wonder about all the hog farms outside of town. Could the pigs be incubating and spreading the disease?

more:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03 /12/opinion/12kristof.html?_r= 1

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19416
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without modern agriculture, we would be doomed and unable to sustain the population (even half of it). Urban farming is less than a drop in the Ocean.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9105
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah-h-h, the universe has delivered another gift.

During my weekend seminar with the Challenge Day group, I learned that Rich and Yvonne know Van Jones, the president's new cabinet-level advisor for urban agriculture! So, once again I find myself two-degrees separated from someone instrumental to our cause.

Wonders never cease, and I choose to use the term GOD-incidences to replace the previous word co-incidences...thanks to Challenge Director Jodee's inspiration!

They are all too common in my life to be random events. Now, what to do with them...heh.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19800
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cause? That is concerning by itself.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 815
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That is concerning by itself.

The word you are looking for is "disconcerting".

You're welcome.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.