Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Rush's speech at CPAC « Previous Next »
Archive through March 07, 2009Pam30 03-07-09  6:35 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting new article in Newsweek by David Frum (conservative) regarding why "Why Rush is Wrong".
http://www.newsweek.com/id/188 279

A pragmatic call to action for conservatives is at the end of the article. The author poignantly asks "Should conservatives be trying to provoke or persuade?"

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 252
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Rush video.
"Rush Limbaugh - A Concentrated Pile Of Human Waste"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-Etf8R-MSaE&NR=1

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ rtflmao on the clip title Mopardan.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 1276
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Updates-

"Limbaugh challenged President Barack Obama to a debate Wednesday in response to the White House’s reported strategy of turning him into the face of the Republican Party."

“Your flunkies are demanding this debate,” Limbaugh said to Obama. “Your flunkies are targeting a private citizen with an enemies list that so far has three or four names on it: Mine; [CNBC’s] Rick Santelli; Jim Cramer at CNBC; and let's not forget Joe the Plumber, who your allies in Ohio also tried to destroy.”

“The difference is that Joe the Plumber does not have his own microphone every day. They're shutting Santelli up at CNBC. They're going to shut Cramer up pretty soon, too, but he'll go down with a fight,” Limbaugh said. “That isn't going to happen here, to me.” http://www.politico.com/news/s tories/0309/19619.html

Limbaugh reports that his "ratings have nearly doubled since Democrats began their campaign to marginalize him. Revenues are up as well."" the White House had to admit its attacks on Limbaugh were becoming "counterproductive."

The danger for Democrats is that the increased attention they have focused on Limbaugh drives more people to listen to him, many for the first time." http://news.aol.com/political- machine/2009/03/07/democrats-s trategy-backfires-as-limbaughs -ratings-double/

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 253
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Columnist Challenges Rush to a Boxing Match

Limbaugh wants country to fail? I want Limbaugh to fall
http://www.statesman.com/news/ content/news/stories/local/03/ 08/0308kelso.html

I've met John & see him at the gym regularly. He'd take Rush out within 30 seconds. Easily.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 629
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vetal said: "Physically, he more and more resembles Archie Bunker."

He has always resembled Bunker mentally, and the physical approximation was always there as well. His followers are definitely the Bunker ilk.

There are some stunning differences though. Whereas Bunker served in the "great one", Limbaugh avoided service with exaggerated symptoms of a cyst on his tailbone. He had an ass-cyst! Bunker never allowed himself to become addicted to medicines, preferring binge drinking at servicemen's reunions. Bunker was much less subtle with his intolerance and racism. He preferred the word "fag" while Rush preferred the more generic "mo". So, Rush wisely adopted a more cosmopolitan "code-speak". It's scary how easily the fiscally conservative audience just swallows the social misanthropy too.

Rush is nothing but a wannabe bully, who found a pulpit among those who wallow in the filth of human misery. He underestimates the strength of the little guy. We fight back.

Oladub

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The President should not be expected to accept Rush's offer to debate. It is beneath his role as President. It is also beneath his dignity to allow surrogates to try to silence the opposition. A compromise might be to choose a champion (Gore, Pelosi, Olberman...other suggestions?) as a debate surrogate in a well publicized national TV debate. Then, if the Democrats' champion lost, at least everyone could comment on Rush's weight and personal habits.

Related-
Congressman Ron Paul(R) has asked to debate Rush but his quarrels with Rush are different than those of Obama."“I was disappointed with Rush because he is a good conservative, yet he hardly said hardly boo against George Bush,” Paul said. “He supported all that big spending. Did he complain about George Bush? Did he complain about all those wars that were going on that caused us so much trouble? “That’s the kind of issues that I want to talk about. And I will be quite willing to challenge Rush Limbaugh on those issues.""We talk about personal liberties and balanced budgets. The Republican Party lost credibility because they didn’t do any of that,” he said.

“It violated the privacy of individuals, it flaunted the spending and ran up these huge deficits. Got us into wars that are not winnable. And those are the real issues.”

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The danger for Democrats is that the increased attention they have focused on Limbaugh drives more people to listen to him, many for the first time.

Replace the word danger with the word opportunity. Right now, the Obama Administration happily accepts.

quote:

The President should not be expected to accept Rush's offer to debate. It is beneath his role as President. It is also beneath his dignity to allow surrogates to try to silence the opposition. A compromise might be to choose a champion (Gore, Pelosi, Olberman...other suggestions?) as a debate surrogate in a well publicized national TV debate. Then, if the Democrats' champion lost, at least everyone could comment on Rush's weight and personal habits.

Interesting idea regarding a debate surrogate. Said champion should be selected from a pool of candidates that are not in or directly associated with the current Obama Administration. And win OR lose, "everyone" could still comment on Rush's weight and personal habits.

A Palin-Paul debate sounds interesting. Paul could likely crush her. Wonder if Palin is yet and still prominently extolling the same charms?

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19265
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rush is not in a position to directly debate the President. For Obama to agree would be a mistake and demean the office of the President. Rush knows this and extended the offer for effect, not expecting it to happen.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 637
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rush knows this and extended the offer for effect, not expecting it to happen."

The challenge was made for the entertainment value for the dittohead followers. They love that pompous bully-pulpit crap. The airheaded dittos are deceived into believing that Rush is interested in their well-being.

Oladub

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classicyesfan, Which Democrat would you most like to see in a head to head prime time TV debate with Rush?

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 820
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to see Al Franken versus Limbago

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1783
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Limbaugh isn't a politician, He should debate Rosie O'Donnell or Keith Olbermann.

Maybe Rush could immediately afterward participate in a live PPV charity sumo wrestling match wearing a pair of supersize Depends vs the current Japanese champion. I would pay to see that!!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 5093
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Al Franken has gone up against Ann Coulter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =ZHx0oLrGjKY

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 821
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the wrestling idea. Limbago could be named Krispie Kreme, with batman as his corner man.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2609
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting that Rushie would issue a debate challenge to ANYBODY - all he does is hide in his dark studio, and refuses to go on any show where the audience and questioners aren't absolutely subservient and submissive. He doesn't even have the guts to debate Letterman again, another entertainer.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19282
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed CYF, and it worked very well for him (Rush). Obama acknowledging it enhances the positive effect for Rush.

Classicyesfan

Post Number: 639
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, cc, I know these t-shirts have started selling briskly again.

I guess for an entertainer, any publicity is good publicity. Just ask Amy Winehouse!

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19302
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The liberals are not the audience that Rush is primarily concerned with. However, you know plenty of them patronize his shows.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 676
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Along side "inspiring commentator", you conveniently forgot to mention his being a "drug addict", and "habitual liar"."

What specifically did he lie about? You need to post specific examples, without twisting them or misquoting them, if your going to print things that can be counted as defamation of character.

Drug addict? ok, hes addicted to pills. Very conveinant you didnt mention your far-left president ADMITTED he used crack in his younger days. Pills or crack? Id say the crack is worse than pain pills.
I love how people way to the left accuse people on the right as being hateful and mean, but resort to the most offensive filth and character assasination in doing so.

"big, fat, racist, bigoted idiot"

What does his weight have to do with it?
Again. If your publicly calling out someone as a bigot or racist, you better have the cajones to cite examples. Otherwise im left to assume its a character assasination from someone the DNC hired to spread propaganda.
How much did Howard Dean pay you?

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 831
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Rush on his fourth wife now, or his fifth wife? It's hard to keep track, what with his respect for the sanctity of heterosexual marriage.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7863
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, someone who drinks a fifth of single-malt scotch is superior to someone who drinks a bottle of Irish Rose.

The only difference I see is the price of the booze.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall your saint Rush refering to Janet Reno as an ugly lesbo femi-nazi.

That doesn't sound very warm and loving, does it now?

And who can forget that hero of the fringe right, Ann Coulter calling the widdows of 911 "a bunch of harpies whose husbands were probably going to leave them anyway".

I guess if its your side calling names, then its ok.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19322
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was what Rush said about Reno untrue?

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 677
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I seem to recall your saint Rush refering to Janet Reno as an ugly lesbo femi-nazi."

Woah, now. I never said he's my saint, I just think his detractors exaggerate and cross the line of decency.

I dont believe that comment, if he said it, was in good taste.I do fail to see where it is "racist", but I do see it as a bit irresponsible.

I don't take Ann Coulter seriously. In my mind shes just a right-ring shock-jock trying to constantly push the envelope to continue getting attention.Nothing makes publicity like shocking people. Shes trying to sell books so she tries to find a way to get people fired up as a form of self-promotion.

Alan55

Post Number: 2615
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ANYTHING that Rush says has a very high probability of being untrue - look at the man's track record.

(Amazing that the right-wing idolizes a man who has a wire sticking out of the side of his head due to his drug ause.)

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Tuesday, March 10, 2009 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google "Limbaugh lies", there are over a million entries. Even if just 2% of them are true and documented lies, and half of those refer to the same lies, that is 10,000 entries, not counting their contents.

(Message edited by Flanders_field on March 11, 2009)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6778
Posted on Wednesday, March 11, 2009 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Defending Limbaugh against his own lies is doing a disservice to him since he revels in his ability to lie with impunity.

Have some compassion for the guy.

Allow him to cherish his pride in his ability to lie with impunity.

That's the least he deserves.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19378
Posted on Thursday, March 12, 2009 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Explain what "lies" you mean please.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8674
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the lies that spill out every time he moves his lips

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19396
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such as?

Must I always repeat the question for you Rb?

Alan55

Post Number: 2618
Posted on Friday, March 13, 2009 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be so lazy, CC. Cut your posts back to only 150 or so per night, and you will have plenty of time to do as Flanders suggests - just simply Google "Limbaugh lies" and you will be able to educate yourself. You might also have your eyes opened. Miracles can happen.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19409
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again. The person making the allegation has the burden of proof.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19410
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, we already know Rb's response, and it is very weak. According to him, everything Rush says is a lie. Talk about lazy.

Alan55

Post Number: 2620
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Once again. The person making the allegation has the burden of proof."

Why is it, CC, that this "burden" only applies when you are demanding (unwilling to get it yourself) the truth? Why is it you never bother to provide "proof" when you post your one-liners?

If it is indeed the case, you have about 7,000 "allegations" for which to provide proof. Better get busy.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Saturday, March 14, 2009 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Congressman Ron Paul(R) has asked to debate Rush but his quarrels with Rush are different than those of Obama."“I was disappointed with Rush because he is a good conservative ..."

And per Paul regarding Rush,
quote:

He supported all that big spending

quote:

Did he complain about all those wars ...

Rush is a "good" conservative (according to Paul)?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19435
Posted on Sunday, March 15, 2009 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He (Rush) supported the spending? Not so, other than defense, he has criticised all of the entitlement spending by GWB.

Rb336

Post Number: 8687
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, bats, concrete example of one of his Biggest Lies, From his June 17, 2004 broadcast about the 9/11 commission report:

"The report said that Mohamed Atta did meet with an Iraqi Intelligence Agency, or agent, in Prague on April 9th of 2001. We've known this for a long time"

What the report actually said:

"We have examined the allegation that Atta met with an Iraqi intelligence officer in Prague on April 9. Based on the evidence available -- including investigation by Czech and U.S. authorities plus detainee reporting -- we do not believe that such a meeting occurred."

hmmm...it is so similar, I can see where his drug-addled brain could get confused...

Rb336

Post Number: 8688
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, and Bats, if Limbaugh said it was a sunny day, i'd be damn sure to take an umbrella. yes, virtually everything out of his mouth is a lie. your turn to find something FACTUAL

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 4560
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Rb, you're putting too much thought into this. You're supposed to focus on the following phraseology:

quote:

Atta met with an Iraqi intelligence officer in Prague on April 9.

Rb336

Post Number: 8689
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh. so context has nothing relevent to add?

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any discussion of Rush being a leader inside the Republican Party, allows Republicans to argue amongst themselves, thereby letting the Obama/Pelosi steamroller to continue unabated.

He's not a leader, he's an entertainer. Couldn't get elected dog catcher.

The fools that invited this bloviator to address the CPAC conference are buffoons who have not just allowed Obama to pave over the freemarket system, they've cut the ribbon for him to do so.

A classic example of tactics leading strategy, thus insuring failure.

On the plus side, the whacked out fringe of the Republican Party have virtually guaranteed their banishment to the mossy rocks from which they came.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19475
Posted on Monday, March 16, 2009 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You found one Rb...congratulations!!! You found....one?

Rb336

Post Number: 8698
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, bats, there are thousands. I take it by your failure to provide something rush says that is supported by facts that you can not find anything.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The airheaded dittos are deceived into believing that Rush is interested in their well-being.

quote:

Agreed CYF, and it worked very well for him (Rush). Obama acknowledging it enhances the positive effect for Rush.

Does everything that works, or is effective, qualify as Good? And does everything that does not work well, or is not effective, qualify as Evil?

Good, as long as someone benefits?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19760
Posted on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You (Rb), gave us 1 only. You claim thousands, but in order to make good on the claim, you would have to provide them.

I, on the other hand, made no claim to his (Rush's) truthfullness or lies, and therefore have nothing to prove.

Rb...in reference to your challenge in 8773, see the above simple syllogistic logical argument and succinct but accurate arguments compellingly in support of my position.

2 in a row? must be a fluke...we will see.

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rush is a smart guy he is not struggling to pay the bills.....worker bad EXECUTIVE GOOD! remember that..let the mighty magnificent magical free market dictate wages.who needs vacation time when there is so much work to do...
Jesus wants us to work our asses off and not join or form horrible leftist communistic labor unions that destroy and cripple corporate enterprises...be thankful you have a job! Buy stock with the second or third job you are working to 'get ahead' yeah uh huh mmm hmmm..
those stupid workers...hmmmph humpphhh .....lazy driving up prices...if workers make more than the wealthy in Bloomfield have to pay more for bread and milk...ITS NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!

Rb336

Post Number: 8775
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bats, you asked for one, I gave you one.

as for your "in reference to your challenge in 8773"

Bats, your conclusions are almost always based on false premises, in other words, they are syllogistic fallacies, but we've gone over that before ad nauseum. and why, pray tell, do you choose to address my 8773 in a different topic rather than in the one in which it was made?

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19771
Posted on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I did..and then YOU went on to claim thousands.

You asked me to point out where I made compelling arguments as you alleged that I never did, so, here again, I will take the opportunity of pointing it out to you.

You claim a syllogistic fallacy on my part, but don't explain or argue why.

I point out that you claimed thousands of examples (Rb 8698) with references as support by compelling argument.

See the difference?

Rb336

Post Number: 8783
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, bats i do. you use false premises in virtually every attempt you make at a "logical" argument, as I have pointed out numerous times.

there are thousands of examples, you've been told how to find them, your refusal to do so is not my problem

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19789
Posted on Tuesday, March 31, 2009 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reverse your challenge and apply it to yourself Rb.

Rb336

Post Number: 8793
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny, i explain how your premises are false, you accuse me of not providing an example even though the example I use is your post 1 or two above. I use premises that are empirically rational to draw rational arguments, and you counter with -- nothing. i will miss laughing at your posts, bats

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.