Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » 2012 Republican presidential hopefuls » Archive through February 25, 2009 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1266
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huckabee, Palin, Jindal, Romney, Gingrich, Giuliani, Crist. Who is best right now for the GOP prospects in 2012?

Jindal we'll see tonight delivering the Republican's televised response to President Obama's address to Congress.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 805
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeb Bush.......

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Slumdog" Jindal,riding the Bollywood wave will be your next unwhite prez cadidate.

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 806
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palin will not make it out of the nomination process, and will drop out early after getting skinned alive. Much too the the dismay of many, many rednecks and hillbillies.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 624
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2008 election just ended. Can't we wait until something like 2011 to even think about 2012?

O.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Otter, we can, except the media loooves to start with this.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8561
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shouldn't this thread be titled "2012 republican sacrificial candidates"?

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19007
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney is the strongest.

One clue is how afraid the liberals were of him, and how weak their criticisms of him were (he is a mormon).

In their desperation not to have Obama go up against him, they propped McCain up.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 626
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atwater,

Apparently not only do the media, but so do we! :-)

I will require my 2012 presidential vote to be one who eats off of his or her tummy.

O.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19010
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter, you can always choose to ignore the media until 2011 if you wish.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 735
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney seems to have a lot of support from the party. Palin didn't bring anything substantial to the ticket as VP, not sure if she boost her credentials in four years.

Jindal's got a great opportunity tonight--let's see what he does with it.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19020
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jindal is strong as well....Romney-Jindal...a great ticket.

Alsodave

Post Number: 736
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney/Jindal sounds like a good ticket--but will enough Republicans rally around those candidates?

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Governor Mark Sanford of South Carolina is a possibility. Judging from his bad press from the NY Times, he is not the bankers' favorite candidate though.

Huckabee will be used by the press to muck things up once again but his support doesn't extend much beyond evangelicals. For some reason I could never figure out, big money and its press had it out for Romney. Palin did not perform. Gingerich has long been out of the loop. Jindal is smart and might have a good shot.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 560
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oladub, I hope you are right when you say "Huckabee will be used by the press to muck things up once again but his support doesn't extend much beyond evangelicals." I wonder though because Huckabee's drawn some interesting guests on his show, and has achieved a certain "hipness" cache. I find it all very odd and disturbing.

Now were his son to enter politics I would support him wholeheartedly. David Huck (just imagine the great muck!) would be even more of an embarassment to the party than Palin. I would donate huge sums of money just for fun of it!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romney is the strongest.

One clue is how afraid the liberals were of him, and how weak their criticisms of him were (he is a mormon).

------------------------------ --------------------

All the criticism I heard about Mitt came from the Reublican's side. The Christian Coillition hates his Morman religion.

Oladub
Username: Oladub

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Tuesday, February 24, 2009 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Romney looked like he had a good chance of breaking away from the Republican pack, a strange thing happened. Huckabee suddenly started showing up on almost every program although he was only polling about 4%. He wasn't asked any hard questions but allowed to turn on the folksy charm. His poll numbers skyrocketed and he managed to neutralize Romney who seemed to be running largely on his own money. Romney then withdrew. At that moment, the press turned on Huckabee and embarrassed him with tough questions. Simultaneously, the press switched their adoring softball questions to the lifeless McCain campaign. Suddenly, McCain was the maverick comeback kid. I don't know who the press was working for but they did a job on Romney.

Huckabee did a good job of keeping track of his supporters and they were very loyal. With his program, folksy charm, and mailing list, Huckabee will be a force but it's difficult to imagine he will turn on non-religious voters and the power brokers would prefer to spend their money elsewhere. He is more of a problem to Republicans than the country

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ Good analysis.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump^

Romney is the Best pick, and its a shame Mccain didn't select him as VP running mate...

<313>

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 6:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that Romney would be the most logical Republican front-runner in 2012.

I'm "one of them damn nyc lib'rals", but my father is a hard-core Conservative. He had a Romney sign stabbed in his front lawn from day one, and the second Romney was out of the race, he accurately predicted Republican failure in the election (no matter who won the Republican primary).

I'm generally not one for conspiracy theories, but I truly believe that following the collapse of the economy, the Republican party re-strategized, and embarked on a mission to lose this election.

Given the liklihood that this crisis cannot be resolved in 4 years (maybe 8?) by a President from ANY party, the Republican party would MUCH rather have a Democrat in the White House to do the initial necessary "dirty work", and have a Democrat for the nation to point their collective finger at in 2012 when the country is still broken. This ultimately sets the the stage for a HUGE Republican comeback in 2012...

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 710
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr Piyush Jindal probably didn't help himself with the Republican answer to President Obama's address. He was panned by both liberal and conservatives. I have a feeling that Piyush will be found lacking as more folks look into his record but unlike President Obama he doesn't have the oratorial skills to overcome his youth and inexperience.

An even bigger problem which may delay any Republican comeback until 2016 if then is not so much the messenger but the message

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8567
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"One clue is how afraid the liberals were of him, and how weak their criticisms of him were (he is a mormon)"

sorry, I don't recall any "liberal" criticizing Romney for his religion. I also don't think anyone was "afraid" of him. all you have to do is look at his record. his flip-flopping was on a grand scale - more blatant pandering to every conceivable group than I have seen in any campaign, and those comments often were at odds with each other. the guy is nothing but a greased-hair used car huckster

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3726
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Huckabee, Palin, Jindal, Romney, Gingrich, Giuliani, Crist. Who is best right now for the GOP prospects in 2012? "

LOL @ this being the Republicans' exhaustive list of hopefuls.

The only one that seemed half-assed legitimate was Jindal and he likely just ended his national political career with that terribly awkward speech last night.

(Message edited by thejesus on February 25, 2009)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 4521
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obama will win the next 2012 presidential election as long he has lots of blacks and new young liberals supporting him.

Alsodave

Post Number: 737
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think "terribly awkward" is being polite!

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cantor and Sanford could be there as noted.

Cantor like Geithner does not exude confidence.

If Sanford continues to sharpen up. In Sanford's defense, this clip is from Blitzer and on CNN.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_2nNSMZKv_A

(Message edited by vetalalumni on February 25, 2009)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Ronald Paul?

"America's leading voice for limited constitutional government, low taxes, free markets, and a return to sound monetary policies"

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19025
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he loses the weak stance on defense, he could be viable.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In reviewing the speech text, was Jindal too apologetic for Republican behaviour?

http://www.thetowntalk.com/art icle/20090225/NEWS01/90225004/ -1/NEWSFRONT2

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2009 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jindal began slightly awkwardly, but he did improve steadily as the speech went on. He's new, I'm sure he'll improve quite a bit.