Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » No love for Paul Harvey? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Doma
Username: Doma

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read Freep.com and Detnews.com everyday. Somehow I missed the fact that Paul Harvey died over the weekend. Maybe because the Free Press story was titled "Longtime Radio Commentator Dies" and wasn't listed at the top of the page.

I'm a reasonably young fellow, I only know Harvey for his entertaining "Rest of the Story" slot. I didn't know until after he died that he was considered a "Conservative". Is this why Detroit newspapers have largely ignored this story?

Paul Harvey was a pretty awesome guy, there will never be another like him. It's a shame (if) the Detroit media purposely buried this story due to bias or political differences.

If Bill Maher dropped dead, I would be (reasonably) saddened.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 514
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy wasn't like Rush Limbaugh. The fact that he lasted so long tells you he struck a chord with a lot of people whether you were conservative or not.
He did have a pretty good sense of humor.
The paper is almost getting wafer thin on some days.
They just don't print all the news that's fit to print. That's the main reason why I so often pay extra and pick up a NY Times.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 958
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Harvey became much less a journalist and much more a reporter of cute and quaint stories. If you weren't in awe of his stories, he was of little interest. I compared him to Andy Rooney, not necessarily because they were exactly alike, but more because they each found a cute niche and exploited it. His 'shtick', much like Rooney's, wore out a long time ago.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Monday, March 02, 2009 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe, prior to Limbaugh, Paul Harvey had the largest radio audience in the country.

I enjoyed him

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome said it best in the non Detroit section.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 153
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Harvey spoke out against Nixon's Vietnam war policies when we invades Cambodia in 1970, he was pro-choice on abortion, pro-ERA amendment, and took on the religious right. That's somewhat like me, libertarian, not soley conservative.

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like 1kielsondrive said, he was basically like Andy Rooney is to 60 min. Not to say that is bad because it's just amazing enough that these guys are still working as old as they are and I'll be lucky enough to just be alive by that age.

On a personal note, I wouldn't give a damn if Bill Maher dropped dead.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 2089
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Harvey and his "folksy" style annoyed the hell out of me. I especially disliked his pitchman-hucksterism being injected into the middle of news segments. You thought he was telling you about a news item, then realized he was selling a product.

That said, RIP.

Ktkeller08
Username: Ktkeller08

Post Number: 34
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 7:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, yea I'm going to agree with Fury13 with the ad part. He did endorse a lot of horrible products. But like most of us, I think we shouldn't remember him for what he did in the last decade or so of his 50 or 60 year career, but what he did for the duration of it, which I think is mostly good.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2023
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Doma, I enjoyed his program but would not have considered him a conservative based on his "rest of the story" program.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3954
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my many cross-country drives, it seemed like I always picked up a radio station that carried his show. It was always a pleasure to listen to him in those pre-satellite radio days, static and all.

When I read of his passing, my many trips flashed past my mind.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1029
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know that I ever heard of Paul Harvey, yet I generally make it my business to know what's going on in the world. Too bad he died, but I think his body may have outlived his fame.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think if you were into radio, especially non-music radio at a certain time, you would have heard of Paul Harvey (unless you lived in a big city where he was not broadcast). I first heard him in the Western UP, where we would spend the summer with no TV. In the last thirty years, cable TV and the internet have splintered the mass audience and not everyone is aware of what's going on. In the late 60s- mid 70s, almost everyone of note would show up on network TV and gain more mainstream acceptance.....

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 669
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had a great tribute to him on the radio last night.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 100
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Harvey pretty much made up his "newscasts." It was all bullshit.

http://www.fair.org/index.php? page=1394

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's wrong with a newscaster being "warm and fuzzy", as long as he/she gives us the facts? I'm sick and tired of today's news-ranters who inject their opinion into everything and try to tell us what to think, how to feel and what a bunch of idiots we are if we don't agree with their viewpoint. Walter Cronkite, Chet Huntley, David Brinkley and the other old school newsmen gave us the news and let us make up our own minds as to how to interpret it.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 672
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the greats, who wasn't dictated to by NY or LA.

Benfield

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the problem. Paul Harvey didn't give you the facts. He gave you bullshit and dressed it up as the facts.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 548
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I associate Paul Harvey with tooling thru Ohio in the early 70's in the folks Malibu, no seatbelts... nothing but gas pedal and the floorboard and the road... watching telephone lines rolling by - mile by mile - and in the car radio "the rest of the story". Story-telling is what he did, methinks, and he done it good during the days when story-telling was still an art. Kinda like Ernie Harwell. It was called "radio". RIP Mister Harvey... I've still yet to buy a Kirby vacuum cleaner.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3958
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the whole world is bullshit, and that's a fact.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 550
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh heh, yes Ray - ... and that's... the rest..... of the story.

Aha
Username: Aha

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Harvey was part of that radio pantheon that featured Lowell Thomas, Gabriel Heater, Edward R. Murrow and others from an era where style and voice were the signature. The radio, in fact, broadcasting in general of today has nothing of this brand of personality. You may not agree with their opinions, but the passing of Harvey leaves another void in what broadcasting was all about...So long for now...

Benfield

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really? You are comparing Edward R. Murrow with a snake oil salesmen who passed fiction off as the news. Paul Harvey is to radio what Jason Blair was to the New York Times. The man was a professional liar.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3460
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before neoconservatism, which Limbaugh championed, conservatives were not greedy jerks. To quote Garrison Keillor:
"Something has gone seriously haywire with the Republican Party. Once, it was the party of pragmatic Main Street businessmen in steel-rimmed spectacles who decried profligacy and waste, were devoted to their communities and supported the sort of prosperity that raises all ships. They were good-hearted people who vanquished the gnarlier elements of their party, the paranoid Roosevelt-haters, the flat Earthers and Prohibitionists, the antipapist antiforeigner element. The genial Eisenhower was their man, a genuine American hero of D-Day, who made it OK for reasonable people to vote Republican. He brought the Korean War to a stalemate, produced the Interstate Highway System, declined to rescue the French colonial army in Vietnam, and gave us a period of peace and prosperity, in which (oddly) American arts and letters flourished and higher education burgeoned—and there was a degree of plain decency in the country. Fifties Republicans were giants compared to today’s. Richard Nixon was the last Republican leader to feel a Christian obligation toward the poor."

So Paul Harvey comes from the pre-asshole Conservative movement and should never be confused with modern, post Fairness Doctrine opportunists.

RIP Paul.

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 965
Posted on Tuesday, March 03, 2009 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I do agree Harvey had a distinguished voice. When I think of the Cronkites, Murrows, Harwells, Scullys, they all had outstanding voices. But I think part of that is at what age you start listening and for how long you listen. Most of those voice's are ingrained in my consciousness. I stopped listening to Harvey years ago. Not because of his politics, which I wasn't really aware of at the time, but because of his cutesiness. I'm not saying he wasn't a good broadcaster, and yes, he was a good story teller, I just didn't consider him to be a serious journalist.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19165
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A now no longer living legend.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.