Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Chrysler’s Sterling Heights Assembly (SHAP) and Stamping Plants « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another AllPar feature which includes photos.
http://www.allpar.com/corporat e/factories/sterling-heights.h tml

There's a chart that alludes to building Fiats & & Fiat-based Chryslers.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 2026
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool pics! I spent many a years working in the field of Manufacturing Engineering. Too bad the latest vehicle built at SHAP looks like a dung beetle.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9534
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What looks like a Dung Beetle? The Avenger?

Cambrian

Post Number: 2027
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whichever the 4 door version is.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9535
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It says they build the Avenger and Sebring there, neither of them seem that ugly to me these days.

Now the last model of the Concorde, yeesh. So glad we're past the jellybean era of cars.

Cambrian

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you can credit the more squared off fronts of cars on new models with the anticipated arrival of pedestrian impact standards. Myself, I always thought a major blow to vehicle styling was the introduction of rectangular headlamps in the 70s. Once you had those, you had to make everything else a right angle to match. The russet potato look of the '83 T Bird was pretty bad too. All cars had the same silhouette afterwards.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 9538
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The '83 T Bird, ouch.

Mopardan

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, the aero look!
Check out this site for Mopar fuselage styling.
http://www.fuselage.de/

Glad y'all liked the article. I usually check AllPar several times a week for nuggets like this.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Cambrian is referring to the 4DS Sebring in particular. Never thought of it that way :-) Also, LOL @ the "russet potato" description of the T-bird.

I spent a bit of time at SHAP in my few years at Chrysler and found it...special. most people I knew who'd spent time there (I worked in quality) thought it should be burned to the ground and the earth salted, or something like that.

O.

Cambrian

Post Number: 2030
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 8:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent the fall of '95 working with the Quality department as a consultant at Toledo Jeep Assembly plant. I recall lots of turmoil there. At the plant the production schedule is king, any one wanting to interrupt the staus quo with dumb quality questions wore a scarlett letter.

Mopardan

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Myself, I always thought a major blow to vehicle styling was the introduction of rectangular headlamps in the 70s. Once you had those, you had to make everything else a right angle to match."
================================================
The car that made Richard Petty leave Chrysler. Looks like some kid found a brick & painted it.

Richard Petty Magnum

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.