Discuss Detroit » NON-DETROIT ISSUES » Assisted suicide law takes effect in the State of Washington « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5377
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Voters in the State of Washington passed the nation's second assisted suicide law last fall and it went into effect yesterday.

It's always seemed odd that it's ok to force people to suffer while advocating putting down pets so they don't suffer.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.c om/html/localnews/2008814607_d eath05m0.html

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone makes money when a terminally ill patient is taking medication or hooked to some kind of life support. Not so with a pet. An oversimplified & non-detailed response but you get the idea.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6756
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A related story from today's Detroit News: Michigan has ties to suicide group
quote:

[Jack] Kevokian's attorney, Mayer Morganroth, said: "Jack has no connection with them whatsoever.

"He certainly believes people have a right to choose when they want to end their life, however he doesn't agree with (Final Exit Network). He's always felt it was a medical procedure and should be done by doctors."

quote:

Those seeking to end their lives who contact Final Exit are assigned a guide who instructs them to purchase two new helium tanks and a hood, known as an "exit bag."

Helium? Why helium? That would be so macabre to speak in that high-pitched helium voice while commiting suicide! Yowee.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5380
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't know how true it is but I read an article that said the helium wouldn't be detectable in the body

http://assistedsuicide.org/blog/2007/12/09/helium-hood-method-now-the-way-for-assisted-suicide/

(Message edited by lilpup on March 06, 2009)

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8630
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimaz, all the magical doors in paradise will only open to high-pitched voices

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6757
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Lilpup. It's inert so that makes sense.

Learn something new every day.

Ccbatson
Username: Ccbatson

Post Number: 19222
Posted on Friday, March 06, 2009 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A slippery slope issue to be sure. Folks like Kevorkian took it way too far.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1697
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freest country in the world alright...when people like Batsnuts can tell a mother she can't abort an unborn, and a terminally ill person when they can choose to die...

God bless america

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19258
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't tell anyone what to do. I can point out where the moral absolutes stand on these issues.

Classicyesfan
Username: Classicyesfan

Post Number: 622
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can point out where the moral absolutes stand on these issues."

Didn't you already do that in a movie? Was it in "The Man Who Played God"? No, I know, it was in "The Ten Commandments"!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so CC is Moses??? Destined to wander for 40 years and never see the promised land...makes sense

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 4139
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knew that you could go to a party store and buy a Helium kit, and rig a mask and hose for $20 ?

20 seconds for unconsciousness, 2 minutes for death.

Lilpup

Post Number: 5384
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently read about an ex-Marine who just got a really small hotel room and turned on the tank-no mask needed.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who knew!

This thread by title left me disinterested so I passed it by several times. Who knew that humor would find its way even here in this thread. I admit I did not expect to laugh when reading this thread.

High pitched voices - hilarious imagery. The stuff a Mel Brooks movie is made of. Pythonesque even.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19266
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those with rational minds (not liberals), there is no need to point out the logical conclusions on these issues. However, those less enlightened and less fortunate (liberals) need the assistance.

(Message edited by ccbatson on March 08, 2009)

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 853
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

High pitched voices - hilarious imagery. The stuff a Mel Brooks movie is made of. Pythonesque even.

Uh tha uh-tha- uh-that's all folks!

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19279
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plagiarise much? Vetalalumni needs to be credited for "your" post Themax.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 859
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought people would notice since my post was so close. Or did Vetalalumni post the Porky Pig line?

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Sunday, March 08, 2009 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Plagiarise much?

Spell much? I guess not, lase fare.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19290
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't assume Themax.

Sigh...Cheddar, yes I misspelled the word. Did you lose the ability to understand the meaning because of that? Or just the ability to make a counter argument? Oh, never had that ability? No surprise.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Did you lose the ability to understand the meaning because of that?

Maybe. There's no way for you to be sure that your message was conveyed correctly when you're relying on the other person to decipher through your mangled words. After all, Themax didn't use quotation marks and you couldn't figure out that he was quoting Vetalalumni. See how that works?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7855
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

According to the Official, but unpublished, Glossary of Batsonia,definitions and spelling are fluid, but determined by the courage of ones convictions,therefore inherent upon the reader to understand the compelling argument made in a rational(but, not liberal) juxtaposition of letters.

Rb336

Post Number: 8639
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A slippery slope issue to be sure."

and Bats has yet to learn that "slippery slope" arguments are rhetorical falsehoods and not valid, logical arguments

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 825
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another "slippery slope" would be to legislate CC's Christian moral beliefs into law. People like him would have us straight on a slippery slope towards a theocracy, where the Christian Bible has replaced the Constitution as the law of the land.

Rb336

Post Number: 8640
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bats doesn't seem caught up in xtian morals, but the absolutism he displays is nearly as annoying

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1786
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Another "slippery slope" would be to legislate CC's Christian moral beliefs into law. People like him would have us straight on a slippery slope towards a theocracy, where the Christian Bible has replaced the Constitution as the law of the land.

Ccbatson is no Christian, and based on his post in the quiz thread that I created regarding an individual's spirituality, apparently he isn't very inclined to believe in a deity either, so what his "morals" are based on is a mystery to me.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19258
Posted on Saturday, March 07, 2009 - 5:09 pm:

I can't tell anyone what to do. I can point out where the moral absolutes stand on these issues.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19287
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 1:00 am:

Religion has no rightful place in politics...liberal or conservative. That is what separation of church and state is meant to bring to the structure of our government.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19309
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moral and religion are not the same thing. Both sides of this debate hold this misconception.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If somebody is terminally ill, the choice to end their life should be their's to make, not the government. They are the ones who have to face the consiquences.

We may not all choose this route, but we should have the option.

Ccbatson

Post Number: 19316
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not the governments', and not Kevorkian's.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Monday, March 09, 2009 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen to that brother!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.